IGNORED

The Red button affect

Between heaven and hell

5 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’m amazed by some of these responses. It’s only a no brainer if you don’t appreciate the unique appeal of live football.

I left Chippenham at 5:30pm, went via Yate to pick up my Dad and was still parked up within 75 minutes of leaving home - even with some bad traffic around Temple Meads. Parking cost me £6 using JustPark which removes the anxiety of finding a space. 

The atmosphere, actually, wasn’t bad last night despite a fairly ordinary game. And my 7 year old son, who has only recently discovered football, absolutely loved it. No amount of televised football would put the same smile on his face, and for me the joy of being there with him easily makes it all worthwhile.

I do wonder if people who are happy to stay at home and watch on telly really value the game in the same way as those of us who’d always rather be there.

Joe never watches footie on telly, only watches City live.  He’s not into football as much as me (although that might be very hard to beat), but he really enjoys the live thing.

You can't just blame the non attendance of season ticket holders on the Red Button though. The fact that the game was moved to a Friday would of affected many, those who travel a fair way to get to the game, those who may have to work, etc.

Season tickets bought before the fixtures were released. and then changed because of TV games or because of the rugby, may have had no choice that they could attend.

• Admin
16 hours ago, RedDave said:

Surprised by some opinions on here. Cant beat actually going to the game!

I’m in 100% agreement with you that attending a game live is the best experience.  That said, I work shifts, like many people, I used to be able to get the fixture list and plan shift swaps, get people to stay a bit later on Saturday and I’d pay them back on the Sunday etc.  This got buggered up by the amount of fixture time and day swaps, co-workers will only put themselves out so much.  It’s either that or use up a days holiday each time to watch 90 minutes of football - with the amount of changed games that a lot of holiday to lose out on.

Now days time constraints seem to be impacting on more and more people’s lives, we were supposed to be all on a reduced working week, with computerisation and automation, most people I know are working longer and longer, this impacts time people can spend doing other things.  Grabbing 2 hours at home on a Friday night, when that can be spent with family, even if they aren’t that interested in the football - again I can see the appeal, or even the pressure some wives might apply.

Not feeling 100%, has a bad day, another reason to slump on the settee and watch it, rain, cold, advance warning of a motorway closure etc etc.  There are many reasons that would make not taking 7 or 8 hours out of your Friday to watch 90 minutes of football and I haven’t even mentioned cost - if it’s on in a pub, a couple of pints to watch the whole game, that’s a cheap option.

None of the above will stack up against going to the game, the pre-match beer, the highs and lows of the 90 minutes, being part of the atmosphere, the after game beers and discussion, the trip to the Indian and then getting home late - great, done it countless times, but I can see why some people would now pick and choose their games.

59 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

People pay good money for a season ticket plus road tax why should they have to line a residents pockets to ensure a space? Probably a resident who moans about the football after buying a house next to the ground...

Resident has space. Supporter needs somewhere inexpensive to park. It’s a solution to a problem.

In an ideal world yes there would be free parking for all. But in the absence of this utopia I’m simply suggesting this is a relatively inexpensive solution for many supporters.

I won’t bother next time.

20 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

This is the biggest danger, as I see it. 

It’s hard to know what the impact will be until season tickets go on sale. 

I think next season could see a significant drop. Especially as it’s not just midweek games, but all these other weekend arrangements allowing coverage. 

I think a lot of this became knowledge after the ST’s were bought and paid for. Red button, lack of Saturday games all must affect  some people’s ability to attend. I’m hearing the rugby fans are feeling the same re days being moved away fro more usual Friday/Sunday, many play and cannot attend.

We haven’t even hit the bad weather yet, if the Red Button or a stream is more attractive on a warming September night just wait until wet November or frosty February. I totally understand many peoples difficulties with work, travel, cost, family etc and certainly not questioning anyone not attending. 

Away support also has suffered to, only one or two coaches to West Brom I think and certainly only one to Wigan and Rotherham. Ok outer club doesn’t financially benefit but I’m sure they appreciate the support.

I can see all the positives of the Red Button but negatives too. Nothing like a live game, but after games like Wigan you are glad to be at home watching rather than a couple of hundred miles away.

Nothing beats actually being at the match . The live event with all the interactions with the players, the crowd , the sense of communion.

The illogical but rewarding feeling that somehow , in some way you have helped your team .

The feeling that somehow your effort to be there is contributing to the wellbeing of the club . 

At the game you can appreciate the players and coaching staff better. How many times have non attenders criticised a player only to be corrected by those who were there saying that his movement off the ball gave another player the chance to shine ? 

It can't be beaten .

Watching on the telly or internet is better than nothing if you can't get to the ground but it would be the end of football if people don't attend matches in the future.

Remember the passion.

7 hours ago, ForeverRed said:

You can't just blame the non attendance of season ticket holders on the Red Button though. The fact that the game was moved to a Friday would of affected many, those who travel a fair way to get to the game, those who may have to work, etc.

Season tickets bought before the fixtures were released. and then changed because of TV games or because of the rugby, may have had no choice that they could attend.

Agree with this. I think the combination of fixtures being moved from Saturdays to various dates and times and the fall back option of watching it on the red button will impact actual attendances. Even a change to the ko time like on Friday will have an impact - some people couldn’t get the last train home and some people had to wait an hour for the last and only v cramped train (see the photo on the Villa ko time thread) which might put them off coming to the match next time this happens.

I must admit the red button went though my mind when I was standing at the station and my train was announced as ‘delayed with a problem; further updates to follow’! In the end, I persevered, the train was over half an hour late and I got to the ground at 8.05pm (so good that the ko time was later!). But I can understand all of this putting people off when they have the option to watch on the red button.

Archived