IGNORED

Singing section stewards

Red94

Is anyone else in the singing section fed up of being treated like a criminal? Also how come none of the stewards are told that the singing section is unreserved? 

Last night a steward (pictured) felt that he could put his hands on a woman by grabbing her at first then pushing her, then to top it off squaring up to the woman’s boyfriend and pushing him away with his head. None of this was needed due to the section being unreserved and this is causing a lot of aggravation from jumped up stewards who don’t know how to do their jobs.

77CF6602-4D52-4E2C-B321-5D77CC6C49EA.jpeg

1 minute ago, Red94 said:

Is anyone else in the singing section fed up of being treated like a criminal? Also how come none of the stewards are told that the singing section is unreserved? 

Last night a steward (pictured) felt that he could put his hands on a woman by grabbing her at first then pushing her, then to top it off squaring up to the woman’s boyfriend and pushing him away with his head. None of this was needed due to the section being unreserved and this is causing a lot of aggravation from jumped up stewards who don’t know how to do their jobs.

Did you get his stewarding number?

Also, fans are not allowed to block gangways and stairs etc which I understand.

the club asked for police to go up, I heard the steward talking to them they then stood by the steps and on for most of the first half blocking peoples path. This was even more evident on the lead up to half time when people were literally Going up and down the stairs with only the ability to use half. 

It makes a mockery of the stewards telling people to keep stairs and gangways clear.

i asked the one with his back to the photo if he could move when I was walking up the steps as he was taking up half the stair well to be met with 

“no I have to stand here” followed by the normal patronising looks. 

now how is that safe? Your basically restricting half an exit point at a time when people are using it most.  @JulieH surely more common sense could be used here?

F1ECCA2B-4207-46CD-BA96-685FA60ACE73.jpeg

3 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

the club asked for police to go up, I heard the steward talking to them they then stood by the steps and on for most of the first half blocking peoples path. This was even more evident on the lead up to half time when people were literally Going up and down the stairs with only the ability to use half. 

It makes a mockery of the stewards telling people to keep stairs and gangways clear.

i asked the one with his back to the photo if he could move when I was walking up the steps as he was taking up half the stair well to be met with 

now how is that safe? @JulieH surely more common sense could be used here?

I'm really not sure why these two appeared to be honest. I thought the objective was to stay on the concourse unless needed @JulieH?

4 minutes ago, PhilC said:

I'm really not sure why these two appeared to be honest. I thought the objective was to stay on the concourse unless needed @JulieH?

Let’s be honest, after last weeks fake racist reports the club obviously wanted the police to be there when the steward was telling people to move etc.

it just an utterly absurd place to stand. 

37 minutes ago, Red94 said:

That’s the only identification I could get from him he also told me if I speak to him him again he would ‘******* throw me out’ 

That's shocking.

So his role (Which I am guessing is there to ensure safety, answer visitor queries and seeking medical assistance if anyone requires it) seems to have been misread by them as 'aggression, unhelpful and rude'.

Looks like there is a URL on the bottom of the high viz, wonder what their take on intimidating behaviour from their staff.

I will feed the issues with regards to stewarding back to the safety officer 

with regards to the police position on the stairs I was not at the stadium last night but at hq doing another role. The officers were briefed to remain in concourse area and be available if requested.

i have looked at the photo and will feed back and find out why they were there, however there were no reported incidents of any issues in any of the stands last night to police. It may be they were responding to something they saw . At this stage I can’t answer but will do my best to find out . 

2 hours ago, Red94 said:

Scruffy git

1 hour ago, AshtonPark said:

now how is that safe? Your basically restricting half an exit point at a time when people are using it most.  @JulieH surely more common sense could be used here?

25 minutes ago, JulieH said:

with regards to the police position on the stairs I was not at the stadium last night but at hq doing another role. The officers were briefed to remain in concourse area and be available if requested.

i have looked at the photo and will feed back and find out why they were there, however there were no reported incidents of any issues in any of the stands last night to police. It may be they were responding to something they saw . At this stage I can’t answer but will do my best to find out . 

I’m pictured in the green/white top just in front of the barrier. I can confirm that the policeman facing to the left wearing the cap was stood there all game and was actually mostly watching the game rather than anything in the crowd. He was definitely not in there responding to any incidents - he was there the whole game and enjoying a free view of the match. I assume he must be either a City of a Villa fan. 

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’m pictured in the green/white top just in front of the barrier. I can confirm that the policeman facing to the left wearing the cap was stood there all game and was actually mostly watching the game rather than anything in the crowd. He was definitely not in there responding to any incidents - he was there the whole game and enjoying a free view of the match. I assume he must be either a City of a Villa fan. 

Tell your mate to buy a belt.

1 hour ago, JulieH said:

Julie, I heard them at the bottom of the steps when I went down talking to stewards the club asked them to be there. 

i need to point out I have no problem with police being in the stand at all, it makes no difference to me but blocking half the stairwell is just daft, you think one fully grown man with  helmet dangling on one side takes up a lot of room. 

I don’t understand the “I have to stand here”, so it’s police orders to take up half the stairs? then when I asked To move it was like I was being stupid asking if he could move somewhere else. 

If I personally stood there, and refused to move for 15 plus minutes I’d be thrown out. Surely it can’t be massively unsafe for me but then safe for him. 

Going off on a bit of a tangent but still concerns the level & effectiveness of the stewards at our ground.

I sit in block 28 of the Dolman right next to the singing section, I sit in row 15, so the second row of the upper section, a steward positioned himself in the bottom corner of the upper section right next to the "dividing wall" between us and the singing section. During half time he took great interest in a bunch of lads aged between 7 or 8 up to about 10 or 11 who were singing & shouting & generally messing about during the break, they were not causing any problems just young boys enjoying being at the game. After a few minutes he felt it necessary to come over & tell them to be quiet & sit down before 1 of them ended up crying & he would have to tell them to leave the ground because they were causing a disturbance. A minute or 2 after this a guy walked up from the concourse with a pint of Thatchers and sat in the front row of the upper about 4 foot away from the steward & in plain sight if him, the steward spotted the drink & promptly disappeared up the steps without dealing with the guy. A couple of games ago (can't remember which match) we had 2 young girl stewards (no problem with female stewards but they looked about 12 years old) stood in the same place at half time & 2 guys walked up the steps straight past them with a pint in each hand, nothing was said. Why tell off a bunch of boys enjoying themselves but allow others to break the law ?

There is seriously something wrong with the stewarding in the singing section. My lad was repeatedly told to sit down by one steward while everyone else was standing in the non reserved area.

I think the club have got a big problem with stewarding at the moment.

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Grassing him up when he's just trying to watch the City...

I would say on the subject of stewarding that it’s a completely thankless task. There was one (who always stewards in that position) by me last night in the South Stand who had to deal with two men shouting endless, very aggressive and foul-mouthed abuse at the players, ref and manager. The steward was very good and never lost his temper, even though the gentlemen in question were very aggressive (verbally) towards him.

I would add that I have no issue with people singing songs with swearing, but there’s a clear line between the usual football stuff and people who are intimidating to those (including several children) around them.

My point being that no-one steps in to help these stewards or even thanks them for what they do, but are quick to attack them when a few of them act poorly.

Not taking a pop at the posters above, they were right to raise complaints about what seemed to be some really unacceptable behaviour, just thought the stewards that do their job well deserved a bit of love!

9 hours ago, Red94 said:

Unless I’ve missed something, what were they actually doing, or where were they standing, steps etc. to cause this confrontation with this steward?

It was poor again at the rugby today. Some guy without a high vis jacket in front of the entrance to the hospitality area asked me for my ticket to get to my seat (I’m not in hospitality by the way...), I said my mum had it to get me a drink. 

He stopped me from sitting in my season ticket seat until she came and showed it to him. Unecessary jobsworthy stewarding...

9 hours ago, Red94 said:

One thing I notice from that.

His jacket appears to be different to regular stewards- it says 'KB' but not all do.

Wonder why.

8 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

That's shocking.

So his role (Which I am guessing is there to ensure safety, answer visitor queries and seeking medical assistance if anyone requires it) seems to have been misread by them as 'aggression, unhelpful and rude'.

Looks like there is a URL on the bottom of the high viz, wonder what their take on intimidating behaviour from their staff.

Actually they search, they send people with alcohol back to concourse (a law based on discrimination and prejudice tbh), they keep gangways and stairwells clear- the role on paper entails a mix of customer service, public order and above all safety. Keep an ear out for racial abuse for example, standing say halfway up the block making people sit down- shitload in fact.

As police withdraw from grounds (seemingly not ours)! stewards effectively increasingly 'police' the inside of grounds now.

@Busterrimes

Yeah sloppy of me. Awful idea to put security staff in with regular stewards, likely to cause more problems than it solves IMO.

Archived