IGNORED

Rotherham v Stoke

Lanterne Rouge

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Is that in preparation for Wednesday, when he won’t be eligible?

Makes sense to get a revised back line used to each other I suppose.

All Stoke up to now and I can`t see them not winning this - get one, they`ll get a few I think (good for us if Rotherham spend all night backs to the wall too). Could be a good one for him not to be involved in.

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

The Rotherham keeper looks a bit of a flapper. No doubt he'll have a worldy on Wednesday night!

Hope that Ashley Williams is in the centre of the Stoke defence when we play them.

He’s terrible isn’t he. I’ve noticed for a few seasons now how he seems a world away from the player he was when Swansea first went up to the Prem. Williams has been awful for a few years and quite what Everton saw in him to sign him, and likewise now Stoke, I don’t know. 

He makes so many mistakes and never seems to have his head in the game. He’s a proper liability. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

He’s terrible isn’t he. I’ve noticed for a few seasons now how he seems a world away from the player he was when Swansea first went up to the Prem. Williams has been awful for a few years and quite what Everton saw in him to sign him, and likewise now Stoke, I don’t know. 

He makes so many mistakes and never seems to have his head in the game. He’s a proper liability. 

Always thought Williams was overrated TBH.

Among a whole host of others in the Prem.

Rotherham...

Vyner. Think he was dropped tbh. Notice he hasn't started every game there, his performances for them hit and miss based on what I've read.

Should we be aiming for the win on Wednesday? Undoubtedly! Do I think we'll win- not certain as Rotherham 10 pts at home already is it, including a win v Derby.

I don't recall the last time we won there- that said I posted the same about QPR, a repeat of which would be most welcome!

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Rotherham...

Vyner. Think he was dropped tbh. Notice he hasn't started every game there, his performances for them hit and miss based on what I've read.

Should we be aiming for the win on Wednesday? Undoubtedly! Do I think we'll win- not certain as Rotherham 10 pts at home already is it, including a win v Derby.

I don't recall the last time we won there- that said I posted the same about QPR, a repeat of which would be most welcome!

November '95

3-2.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks- out of reactions alas.

That explains why I don't remember it then- about 3 years before my time supporting wise. ?

Still, records are there to be broken!

We've only shared a division with them 7 times since then, so the record not as bad as the 23 years would suggest.

Still a poor record though.

1 hour ago, Loosey Boy said:

Hope Wood is injured as he seems to be their leader, marshalling the back four well - him being out could help our cause on Wednesday!

Absolutely and Zac being ineligible means a patched up defence to a certain extent. That game will have taken a lot out of them too, the effort they put in was huge.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Did Vyner come on as a centre back? And he still looked poor? A shame he isn't doing well there as was hoping he would come back ready to fight for first team with us next season. 

I watched the whole game and he wasn’t poor when he came on, made some very good challenges. The issue for Rotherham was that they seemed very happy to let stoke have the ball out wide and the midfield never tracked runners into the box. Stoke put some quality balls into the box.

24 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Less than 3,000 there that day if I remember correctly....both clubs have moved on a lot since then....just watched Rotherham vs Stoke from this weekend....what a great noise from the home fans...puts us to shame...

Few thoughts on the atmosphere thing.

I saw the standard EFL highlights on- obviously Rotherham v Stoke on there. Good atmosphere- that said thought ours vs Villa was decent!

On the general points. 

I think the fact they are back up and see themselves as undoubted underdogs, a backs to the wall feeling really helps. Last time I truly, consistently over a season remember it here was the first season back at this level under GJ- EastEnd in its pomp, the bounce- always believe.

We had some cracking atmospheres last season too- Man Utd was fantastic, Wolves was really decent, Villa at home last season on a Friday night also good- Birmingham at home last season fairly good, Man City of course though not IMO as good as the Man Utd game.

Would also argue when Baker sent off v QPR the atmosphere stepped up- fans did well. Other decent mentions to the Cup ties v Palace and Stoke at home, plus Boro at home under the lights last December.

Lastly an honourable mention to about 10 minutes successively of the 'Frankie Fielding's in the building' chant v Burton on a Friday night in October last season. That all tells me that we can really crank it up.

Last thing, I know some may not like the slot but 5.30pm kickoffs, especially from about late September to end of January can really help enhance atmospheres- more beer, floodlights, putting on a bit of a show for TV maybe, more time to get hyped- it all can feed in.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Few thoughts on the atmosphere thing.

I saw the standard EFL highlights on- obviously Rotherham v Stoke on there. Good atmosphere- that said thought ours vs Villa was decent!

On the general points. 

I think the fact they are back up and see themselves as undoubted underdogs, a backs to the wall feeling really helps. Last time I truly, consistently over a season remember it here was the first season back at this level under GJ- EastEnd in its pomp, the bounce- always believe.

We had some cracking atmospheres last season too- Man Utd was fantastic, Wolves was really decent, Villa at home last season on a Friday night also good- Birmingham at home last season fairly good, Man City of course though not IMO as good as the Man Utd game.

Would also argue when Baker sent off v QPR the atmosphere stepped up- fans did well. Other decent mentions to the Cup ties v Palace and Stoke at home, plus Boro at home under the lights last December.

Lastly an honourable mention to about 10 minutes successively of the 'Frankie Fielding's in the building' chant v Burton on a Friday night in October last season. That all tells me that we can really crank it up.

Last thing, I know some may not like the slot but 5.30pm kickoffs, especially from about late September to end of January can really help enhance atmospheres- more beer, floodlights, putting on a bit of a show for TV maybe, more time to get hyped- it all can feed in.

Yep, some good points you made - I have to disagree on your point regarding the East End though - it wasn’t ‘in its pomp’ when GJ was at the helm...it was in its pomp in the 1970s and 1980s...

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, some good points you made - I have to disagree on your point regarding the East End though - it wasn’t ‘in its pomp’ when GJ was at the helm...it was in its pomp in the 1970s and 1980s...

To emphasise, was talking in recent times- should have made that clear, but posting on phone can make me cut down posts a tad.Before my times too- would query the 80's a little bit though, only because attendances dropped like a stone around the country for good parts of that decade.

Yeah well clearly- 70's and 80's was when atmosphere was in its pomp in the UK- terracing, could drink on the terraces for good chunks of that for a start- a terrace where people have had a few and can continue having a few often can be a noisier one. :thumbsup:

Archived