IGNORED

Cardiff v Burnley

Lanterne Rouge

5 hours ago, pillred said:

in 2008 Steve Lansdown stated that all money generated from promotion would be spent on players, then that was about 80 million, see no reason to think the same thing would not happen if we went up in the near future, that would be about 130 million though I know that's no guarantee of success, don't think we would have bought a championship striker if we had gone up do you?

I would have thought his comments then referred to wage costs, as well have recruitment, which could, potentially, double?

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I know what’s coming here ........

:whistle2:

btw.  I hate the taff idiots but ....... Does anyone think we’d do any better 

Would be embarrassing

6 hours ago, RumRed said:

You really think that? Blimey.

I can see no evidence that we’d do any more/better at all.

Huddersfield survived their first season in the PL despite a relatively modest promotion season when they finished with a negative goal difference.

Burnley, Bournemouth, Brighton and Watford are further examples of comparably sized clubs who have gone on to survive and establish themselves in the top division.

We don’t know how it would go if we were to be promoted. But I fail to see why we should assume it would be “embarassing”. If we had done enough to get there in the first place then clearly we would have done something right - and maybe that would continue. We certainly have the infrastructure to succeed.

Wolves are doing quite fine too- that said they were last year already pretty much a PL capable side in terms of survival IMO.

Their business model is also not available to most clubs, never mind newly promoted ones!

Fulham I think should do fine, despite their early travails- 11 new players signed creates a lot of upheaval.

Cardiff? Up last year, down this next no pressure to sell then with Smithies, Cunningham, Reid and yeah even Madine, their aim will be to go back up as well as a new training ground and go again in 2020/21.

Solid business, if somewhat unambitious- not even sure they're budgeting for staying up!

See Hull for another example- last year in Championship they made a 20 million pound profit I believe.

7 hours ago, pillred said:

in 2008 Steve Lansdown stated that all money generated from promotion would be spent on players, then that was about 80 million, see no reason to think the same thing would not happen if we went up in the near future, that would be about 130 million though I know that's no guarantee of success, don't think we would have bought a championship striker if we had gone up do you?

No we'd have kept ours.  I don't imagine we'd have a spending spree at all.

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why would Burnley be ‘terrified of going down’ ? They finished 7th in the premier league last season...

Because it was a false position in some respects.

Expected goals FWIW had them and Man Utd significantly overachieving- no I don't think Burnley will go down, but at the same time the number of games they were dominated against yet won according to XG was quite high. Regression to the mean would suggest a relegation scrap- also it could be argued that beneath the top (Big) 6, there isn't a huge amount of top dollar quality.

10 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

And people still spend a small fortune to Sky because they fall for the hype.

Agreed partly.

Burnley- and all credit to them- finished 7th in the PL last year- is that the sign of a super duper best League of all time? An undoubtedly strong League, just not quite so brilliant as the hype IMO.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed partly.

Burnley- and all credit to them- finished 7th in the PL last year- is that the sign of a super duper best League of all time? A strong League, just not quite so brilliant as the hype IMO.

Depends on the question you are asking.

Is it "because it is little ole Burnley"

Or

"Because the Burnley squad aren't a top 7 set of players?"

Even the latter leads to "are they genuinely not a top 7 set of players"

Or

"They shouldn't be top 7 because they have no 'names'?"

I personally cant wait for the TV money bubble to burst.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Depends on the question you are asking.

Is it "because it is little ole Burnley"

Or

"Because the Burnley squad aren't a top 7 set of players?"

Even the latter leads to "are they genuinely not a top 7 set of players"

Or

"They shouldn't be top 7 because they have no 'names'?"

I personally cant wait for the TV money bubble to burst.

Think they were there fully on merit. Fantastic to see- they arguably performed above themselves, maybe Burnley coming 7th was a poor example! Better one might be that 8th-20th all achieved under 50 points, or every team below Arsenal- the worst by far of the top 6- had a negative Goal Difference. Or the fact that 8th placed Everton who performed poorly for a lot of the season were nearly as close to the drop zone in terms of points as they were to the aforementioned Arsenal- I could go on! :laugh2:

For me, the money is one thing, but it's the crazy (would nauseating be too strong a term- I think it might)? hype that surrounds it- though I guess the 2 feed into each other. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think they were there fully on merit. Fantastic to see- they arguably performed above themselves, maybe Burnley coming 7th was a poor example! Better one might be that 8th-20th all achieved under 50 points, or every team below Arsenal- the worst by far of the top 6- had a negative Goal Difference. Or the fact that 8th placed Everton who performed poorly for a lot of the season were nearly as close to the drop zone in terms of points as they were to the aforementioned Arsenal- I could go on! :laugh2:

For me, the money is one thing, but it's the crazy (would nauseating be too strong a term- I think it might)? hype that surrounds it- though I guess the 2 feed into each other. 

I think the claim of "best league" does leave some ambiguity.

When it comes down to the other things, the goal difference and points totals, is it much different to La Liga or Ligue 1?

9 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I think the claim of "best league" does leave some ambiguity.

When it comes down to the other things, the goal difference and points totals, is it much different to La Liga or Ligue 1?

Was looking at these just now, not yet Ligue 1 but saw some similarity in terms pf PPG etc between divisions last season with 20 sides- that'd be Serie A, La Liga and PL.

I see the PL as something like 6 excellent sides (though Man Utd are poor at this time), sides on the up- Everton, Leicester- quite likely now or soon Wolves and don't discount Fulham or West Ham either though both started poorly. Then a number of poor sides, sides who will struggle most of the time. Newcastle are their own category because of their potential size vs their ridiculous mismanagement. Bournemouth too, a competent PL side who play pleasing football and Watford seem to have a model that works...but tbh post Leicester- below the top 6, and because of Newcastle's terrible ownership, 7th-20th often there isn't a huge amount between them- or more likely as it was, in 16/17 8th-20th.

23 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Didn’t watch the game....which Liverpool song were they singing?

A new one. "We've conquered all of Europe, we're never gonna stop...we're Liverpool supporters, and we come from Liverpool....Allez,   Allez,  allez" something like that. It's good. In Liverpool.

Some la' with an acoustic guitar in a pre-match pub gets up on stage, sings it to the boozy mob, the boozy mob singalong to the singalong chorus, they go to the match, sing it at the match, everyone else sings it. Something like that. There's a vid on YouTube of the la' with a g'ta, singing his song and learning the boozy mob.

Maybe what we need, on the concourse?

Anyway, Cardiff have copied it already. Different words, would've thought. 

1 minute ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

A new one. "We've conquered all of Europe, we're never gonna stop...we're Liverpool supporters, and we come from Liverpool....Allez,   Allez,  allez" something like that. It's good. In Liverpool.

Some la' with an acoustic guitar in a pre-match pub gets up on stage, sings it to the boozy mob, the boozy mob singalong to the singalong chorus, they go to the match, sing it at the match, everyone else sings it. Something like that. There's a vid on YouTube of the la' with a g'ta, singing his song and learning the boozy mob.

Maybe what we need, on the concourse?

Anyway, Cardiff have copied it already. Different words, would've thought. 

That’s quite sad ..... copying a Liverpool song when you’re Cardiff! I’ll bring my guitar next game, we can have a right old knees up!

15 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That’s quite sad ..... copying a Liverpool song when you’re Cardiff! I’ll bring my guitar next game, we can have a right old knees up!

Do it. It's what we need.

What we don't need is an ear-splittingly loud local covers band blaring out local covers of classic rock anthems to which no-one sings along or takes anything from there into the ground to create atmosphere and support for the team during the game. We're all passive, suffering punters shouting into the ear of the bloke/bird right next to us, probably wishing they would pack it in.

What we do need is someone to encourage everyone standing around swilling beer to get involved and start singing before the game, possibly even try some new songs, like used to happen years ago but in nearby pubs (on big occasions). Then there would be a chance of that involvement and atmosphere being carried from the fan village and concourse into the ground and into the game.

More likely than suggesting songs on here.

On 01/10/2018 at 20:44, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s “Un giorno all’improvviso.” It’s Italian.

It’s Ale not “Allez”.

It’s Napoli’s, originally. Not Liverpool’s. And it wouldn’t be the first time that scousers have stolen something and then claimed it as their own. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kvVGkaz45SM

Archived