IGNORED

F1

myol'man

Is anyone still interested in Formula One? Races are processions decided on team orders. Only ever gonna be won by 2 or 3 drivers, the rest are just making up the numbers. Mostly on Sky F1 channel now. I wonder what the viewing figures are like? Boring.

Haven’t really watched it for a couple of years now, well since Sky got a grip. This seem to coincide with like you say procession races and money increasingly being the dominant factor. 

I have been watching the British Touring cars (BTCC) for a few years now, much more exciting and less elite.The races this season, which finished yesterday, had a record breaking 17 different winners so it was almost anyone’s Championship for most of the season, and was only settled on the penultimate race yesterday ( they race 3 times per meet with various handicaps which keeps things open). The person who won the Championship only came 1st once this season, but was consistent picking up points for other positions).

Dino Zamparelli races in the Porsche Carrera Cup which is one of the races held at the same event as the above, he finished 2nd again this year. 

53 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Is anyone still interested in Formula One? Races are processions decided on team orders. Only ever gonna be won by 2 or 3 drivers, the rest are just making up the numbers. Mostly on Sky F1 channel now. I wonder what the viewing figures are like? Boring.

It's been the same for many years, hasn't it?

I take a passing interest and fair play to Lewis he's an exceptional driver that will go down as one of the greats.

I went for many years of not bothering, as it was all too predictable. I have this year gotten back into it, as it does seem it has become a bit more interesting. Did miss the race yesterday though...

Must admit I do prefer the WRC, although the coverage of it changes from year to year, ITV2/3 to Channel 5, then it seemed to stop for ages. Only usually an hour at a time though, so is very brief highlights.

5 hours ago, Taz said:

I went for many years of not bothering, as it was all too predictable. I have this year gotten back into it, as it does seem it has become a bit more interesting. Did miss the race yesterday though...

Must admit I do prefer the WRC, although the coverage of it changes from year to year, ITV2/3 to Channel 5, then it seemed to stop for ages. Only usually an hour at a time though, so is very brief highlights.

I love a bit of Rallying too. Wales up next, in a few days. Those ‘roads’ in Turkey were brutal last round.

On 01/10/2018 at 08:51, RedM said:

Haven’t really watched it for a couple of years now, well since Sky got a grip. This seem to coincide with like you say procession races and money increasingly being the dominant factor. 

I have been watching the British Touring cars (BTCC) for a few years now, much more exciting and less elite.The races this season, which finished yesterday, had a record breaking 17 different winners so it was almost anyone’s Championship for most of the season, and was only settled on the penultimate race yesterday ( they race 3 times per meet with various handicaps which keeps things open). The person who won the Championship only came 1st once this season, but was consistent picking up points for other positions).

Dino Zamparelli races in the Porsche Carrera Cup which is one of the races held at the same event as the above, he finished 2nd again this year. 

^ This.

I didn't mind if Tingram or Turks won the title this year, both have been impressive. 

Dino coming 2nd in the Championship again must have been tough to take, and If course there is the event sweepstake of, 'How many laps with Nick Hamilton manage to complete before crashing'

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

^ This.

I didn't mind if Tingram or Turks won the title this year, both have been impressive. 

Dino coming 2nd in the Championship again must have been tough to take, and If course there is the event sweepstake of, 'How many laps with Nick Hamilton manage to complete before crashing'

Did you see the last race on Sunday, Ash Sutton just done my boy ( Josh Cook, of course ) on the line by thousandths of a second. What a race. Have that F1! 

Tough luck on Dino, DanCam moves codes and another driver pips him to the post again.

30 minutes ago, RedM said:

Did you see the last race on Sunday, Ash Sutton just done my boy ( Josh Cook, of course ) on the line by thousandths of a second. What a race. Have that F1! 

Tough luck on Dino, DanCam moves codes and another driver pips him to the post again.

That last race was epic. Up there with Steve Soper and Andy Rouse. If not, better.

I am amazed more people don't follow the BTCC, it pisses all over the F1 parade.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

That last race was epic. Up there with Steve Soper and Andy Rouse. If not, better.

I am amazed more people don't follow the BTCC, it pisses all over the F1 parade.

I guess it’s because Sky aren’t all over it. It’s tucked away in ITV4, and they are keeping it real and I hope it stays like that. I would love to see a race live, shame all the circuits aren’t very local. 

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I guess it’s because Sky aren’t all over it. It’s tucked away in ITV4, and they are keeping it real and I hope it stays like that. I would love to see a race live, shame all the circuits aren’t very local. 

Thruxton is a great weekend. Well worth going, the camping facilities aren't too bad at all and If you get there on the Friday you'll have countless support races and qually sessions before the main event on Sunday.

8 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Thruxton is a great weekend. Well worth going, the camping facilities aren't too bad at all and If you get there on the Friday you'll have countless support races and qually sessions before the main event on Sunday.

That’s what I would plan to do, go there and camp and see everything. One day...

As a huge F1 fan I really do not agree that the races are processions. In my time of watching f1 there has always been one dominate team with little competition from other teams, the Schumacher and Vettel days were the worst imo, now those races were processions! 

This season has been one of the most exciting for years due to the fight between Mercedes and Ferrari, it's been anything but a procession! Ferrari actually have a car capable of winning a championship this year but Lewis is in the form of his life, the cars are very similar but the difference is Lewis, the drives he is putting in lately is exceptional, his quali lap at Singapore, the most challenging track was awesome.

He is putting everything he has into winning and you can see him physically shaking etc after doing laps like he did at Singapore. His mental toughness and the ability to thrive off of pressure is the difference between him and Vettel, Lewis is forcing Seb and Ferrari into making mistakes.

On their day Red Bull are also capable of winning races but the unreliable Renault engine is letting them down, the Honda engine which they will be having from next year is ever improving. It's likely we will see a 3 way fight between Lewis, Vettel and Verstappen in the future which would be exciting to watch. 

I'm not even getting involved in the team orders debate, it's a team sport, Ferrari have been doing it for years, that's why Kimi hasn't won a race for years yet Mercedes do it once and everyone is up in arms? I'm sure had the tables been turned Lewis would have done the same for Bottas because Lewis is a respectful and humble guy. The same can't be said if Seb! Remember the race where he was ordered to stay behind Webber but overtook him? Once Lewis wins the championship I'm sure if the opportunity arises he will pull to the side to allow Bottas to win.

All the way down the grid there is some real exciting wheel to wheel racing from some really good driver's, there is action going on up and down the grid and there is rarely a boring race. 

Liberty Media have made some good changes since they have been involved and I think there is a lot to be excited about in the future.

Big chance it'll be wrapped up for Hamilton this weekend with Vettel having a 3 place grid penalty. 

People talk it down as they believe he has the best car anyway but he's been incredible this season. Vettel should have (and possibly still can with a miracle) had this title race running right down to the wire.

I struggle to believe Lewis would be 67 points behind Vettel at this stage if their roles were reversed.

I think next season is going to be very tight at the top if Red Bull can sort out their reliability issues.

Added with the change in the regulations so that all the cars have identical front wings should mean less advantages for the big teams.

I understand when people say it’s boring, etc but I really enjoy the tactics that have to change during the race about decisions when to put, when to push, etc.

On 31/10/2018 at 09:55, grifty said:

I think next season is going to be very tight at the top if Red Bull can sort out their reliability issues.

Added with the change in the regulations so that all the cars have identical front wings should mean less advantages for the big teams.

I understand when people say it’s boring, etc but I really enjoy the tactics that have to change during the race about decisions when to put, when to push, etc.

I think if the Honda engine keeps progressing as it is then Redbull will be right up there and challenging. McLaren and Ricciardo are no doubt kicking themselves.

On 02/10/2018 at 21:50, RedM said:

On 02/10/2018 at 23:16, Bristol Rob said:

Not BTCC but you get some cracking races at Castle Combe.

36 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Not BTCC but you get some cracking races at Castle Combe.

I’ve never been, on my to do list. Saw stock cars near Cheddar a couple of time but that was years ago. Just never seem to get to go again. Must do, thanks for the reminder.

Do it, RedM!

Combe is one of the best circuits in the country, because of not only holding top quality races but also packing in a full day's play. Other circuits might have more prestige or attract the major international series, but you won't get a better value for money than Combe. Entry prices are reasonable (nowhere near as much as most others) and the location is great for us here in the South West. It also brings in lots of local racers so there is usually a good crowd watching. The CC Racing Club runs several circuit-based championships, which include saloons, GTs and the ever popular Formula Fords. Motorbikes are also on the calendar.

The racing season is over for the year, but you might want to have a cheeky look at the karting, off-roading or skid pan as a nice day out or a present for a loved one. ?️?️?️?️?️?

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I’ve never been, on my to do list. Saw stock cars near Cheddar a couple of time but that was years ago. Just never seem to get to go again. Must do, thanks for the reminder.

19 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Do it, RedM!

Combe is one of the best circuits in the country, because of not only holding top quality races but also packing in a full day's play. Other circuits might have more prestige or attract the major international series, but you won't get a better value for money than Combe. Entry prices are reasonable (nowhere near as much as most others) and the location is great for us here in the South West. It also brings in lots of local racers so there is usually a good crowd watching. The CC Racing Club runs several circuit-based championships, which include saloons, GTs and the ever popular Formula Fords. Motorbikes are also on the calendar.

The racing season is over for the year, but you might want to have a cheeky look at the karting, off-roading or skid pan as a nice day out or a present for a loved one. ?️?️?️?️?️?

Been years since I went but IIRC it is one of the fastest circuits in the country, great place to sit it Quarry Corner, a deceptively tricky corner and pretty much guarenteed to catch someone out during a days racing.

The village itself has been in quite a few films.

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Thought Redbull had sacked off Honda for next season?

Nope they are definitely switching to them. They have been using Toro Rosso to test the engine out etc. 

They are pretty confident that even tho the engine will still be a little bit behind Mercedes and Ferrari that gap is ever closing and they think as they have a great chassis that will enable them to close the engine power deficit.

@JamesBCFC @Erithacus thanks for the info, I WILL visit next year. I don’t know why I have overlooked CC, it’s almost like it’s too close I have forgotten about it and just looking at venues further afield, probably due to tv coverage. But yes I will tick it off at some point, it sounds like a good venue.

Archived