IGNORED

F1

myol'man

Yes, Castle Combe is only about a half hour drive away yet it's far enough to be in another county. There's plenty of parking on site and the circuit is less than two miles around, with spectator access in all parts. If you feel inclined, a paddock pass is a few quid and allows you to go into the competitors' area to see the teams working on their cars.

The nearest major circuit otherwise is Thruxton, which you might find a fair way east, and the spectator area is largely around the pits and finish line. Not sure what the cost is there. Further afield is Silverstone - and you can imagine what that offers.

Used to go regularly, did track days on the old and new configurations and was pitcrew for a while in the 90s. It's a great circuit.

3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Nope they are definitely switching to them. They have been using Toro Rosso to test the engine out etc. 

They are pretty confident that even tho the engine will still be a little bit behind Mercedes and Ferrari that gap is ever closing and they think as they have a great chassis that will enable them to close the engine power deficit.

I wonder if McClaren will regret getting rid. The renault engine didn’t really do them much better. I was surprised to see Williams suffering so badly too. We really could do with some more engine manufacturers going forward. 

4 hours ago, Tomarse said:

I wonder if McClaren will regret getting rid. The renault engine didn’t really do them much better. I was surprised to see Williams suffering so badly too. We really could do with some more engine manufacturers going forward. 

Oh for sure they will be regretting it. They got rid of the Mercedes engine as they wanted to have an input into the development of an engine etc so went with Honda only to then lose patience and switch to Renault and go back to once again having no control over engine development. There has been problems for years with that Renault engine so I really don't understand why McLaren switched to them or even Daniel Ricciardo, he has suffered a huge amount of engine failures and then decided to join that manufacturer? I think his recent outbursts are because he realises he has made a huge mistake, his career looks to be going the same way as Alonso's.

Part of the problem with Williams is that over the past few years they sell their seats to whoever can bring in the most sponsorship, they are almost always last to announce their line ups also. I do feel maybe if they put in some talented drivers and get it sown up a lot earlier then they can then fully focus on developing next year's car. It's great they having taken on George Russell but why the hell they are not snapping upon Ocon I don't understand, well I do, it's because they want Mercedes to supply them free engines in exchange for giving him a seat. It's all about money at Williams rather than having the best drivers. 

They were on a crest of a wave when these turbo engines came in and were challenging Mercedes but have since gone horribly backwards, I just don't think Claire Williams is cut out for the job unfortunately.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs that McLaren and Williams, two great British teams with long illustrious histories are now at the back of the grid. 

I do miss the teams like Lotus and Manor, ok they were back markers but they provided 4 extra seats for the young drivers coming through so did serve a purpose. 

They either need to entice more manufacturers to the sport or allow teams to have a 3rd car. 

The problem is fmthese engines are so complicated it's incredibly hard for new teams to enter the sport, and not cheap either.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Does anyone actually sit down and watch the whole race? For me I watch the first few laps then go off doing something else and then watch the last few.

I always watch the whole thing. Though quite often I'll watch the first 5-10 laps on the big screen then take my iPad out to the kitchen and pay loose attention to it whilst cooking Sunday lunch/dinner. 

10 hours ago, Super said:

Does anyone actually sit down and watch the whole race? For me I watch the first few laps then go off doing something else and then watch the last few.

If I watch something, and this applies to pretty much anything, I need to see it from the start to finish.

With football/F1 the pre-match/pre-race stuff I can miss, but I need to see the whole of the event.

• Admin

For those interested Silverstone and F1 have confirmed that the British Grand Prix will be held on Sunday 26th July

There will also be another F1 weekend at the same course the following weekend - but not known as the British Grand Prix - I assume the new European Grand Prix location?

• Admin

The 2020 season has now been confirmed as:

3-5 July Austrian Grand Prix (Red Bull Ring)

10-12 July Steiermark Grand Prix (Red Bull Ring)

17-19 July Hungarian Grand Prix (Hungaroring)

31 July- 2 August British Grand Prix (Silverstone)

7-9 August 70th Anniversary Grand Prix (Silverstone)

14-16 August Spanish Grand Prix

28-30 August Belgian Grand Prix

4-6 September Italian Grand Prix

• Admin

I'm not overly surprised, but Mercedes have just announced that they will be racing in an all black car this season to recognise the Black Lives Matters campaign

Though the car isn't actually all black it is a big statement

20200629_110356.jpg

On 29/06/2020 at 11:02, phantom said:

I'm not overly surprised, but Mercedes have just announced that they will be racing in an all black car this season to recognise the Black Lives Matters campaign

Though the car isn't actually all black it is a big statement

20200629_110356.jpg

Brings back memories of the old John Player Special Lotus.

What I find annoying is Hamilton is found guilty of bad driving 5 second penalty. Whilst person he hit goes down the field. Rule should be if you are found guilty of bad driving then you go 1 place behind person you hit at end of race. Albion was hit but person who was at fault was able to keep going and score points.

13 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Think because you can’t have 2GP in a year.Styrian (Styria) I believe is area the track is located

Cheers mate. Not that stupid a question then!??

15 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Think because you can’t have 2GP in a year.Styrian (Styria) I believe is area the track is located

You'd think they'd change that pretty meaningless rule for this year! Just call them Austria 1 and Austria 2 or something.

Archived