IGNORED

Rotherham Utd (a) Wednesday - What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

A very different away game than Wigan recently.  From what I’ve seen of The Millers, they are not a heavy pressing team like Wigan, but a team prepared to sit in behind the ball and deny space.  That may be that in other games they are big underdogs (Derby, Stoke etc) on paper and playing differently to the previous Rotherham side who have relied on a physical striker paired with an, athletic, mobile pairtner up front in the form of Ward, Revell, Clarke-Harris, Derbyshire etc.  

How Do They Line-up?

Predominantly 4141 this season, but Saturday v Stoke they went 4411.  In the absence of my trusted Transfermarkt pitch graphic, I've gone to Sky....you even get player photos this time!

A45F7D53-929F-40DB-A9C2-1FFB7B888224.thumb.jpeg.ada0f7124fdd95306f188f35b2632c79.jpeg

GK: Rodak - Slovakian on loan from Fulham.  Punches more than Joe Bugner (one for you old’uns), but generally assured.  Not a strong puncher, so opportunities around the edge of the box from corners.

RB: Jones - former West Brom / Sunderland man who I always thought was a steady Prem performer and surprised to see at a club like RU.  Good going both ways, and will give whoever plays LM a tough night.

LB: Mattock - another former West Brom player.  Definitely one who likes to join the attack and got a tidy left foot.

CB: Ajayi - ex-Arsenal youngster, who signed from Cardiff.  Physically imposing, good pace, unruffled CB, who likes to play and will take a touch.  Likes to mark tight and comfortable chasing down the sides.

CB: Wood - good old pro, no thrills CB, who is a threat from set-pieces.  Not sure if he’ll be fit on Wednesday after coming off v Stoke.  Without the ineligible Vyner that may cause Vaulks to play CB, or a reshuffle with Jones playing inside.

RM: Williams - dangerman - a pest of a player in the niggly Taylor mould.  Energetic and decent feet.  Will be their spark on Wednesday.  Happy to float inside and join up with their 2 forward players.

LM: Newell - ex-Posh, with a nice left foot, but not overly quick.  Surprised he didn’t take any set-pieces (see Manning).  Works the space well fir Mattock to get forward.

CM: Vaulks - ex-Falkirk player who was rumoured to be on our watch list in summer of 16/17 season.  Got the normal OTIB “glowing reference” but everytime I’ve seen him, he’s looked a decent midfielder who does the simple stuff well.  Chips in with goals.

CM: Manning - on loan from QPR, probably behind Freeman in pecking order.  Very nice left foot, who takes a good Set-piece.  One to watch in our final third.

AM: Towell - recent move into the AM position, and busy player without setting the world on fire.

ST: Smith - ex-Swindon man, who scored the winner in the Wade Elliott red card game in 14/15.  Good feet for a big man but not gonna run in behind us.  Will peel to the back stick for crosses so Kelly and Hunt beware.

Other players: Palmer - ex-Burton man in CM who may come in if Vaulks go to CB.  Taylor - another ex-Posh wideman, and Forde, ex-Walsall winger, both with pace.  Injuries to Vassell and ex-Fleetwood target man Proctor making for lack of options up top.

So How Do We Beat Them?

As above, Rotherham are not an up and at ‘em team, despite playing a lot of long balls, so content to sit in and break with Towell and Williams  getting in and around Smith.

When City have the ball, I see less need for Pack to drop in and the CBs to split, as Smith won’t press until we reach halfway, and then it’s more  about shuffling across the pitch. Towell, Newell and Williams will engage as we move 10 yards into their half.  Interesting how the less comfortable on the ball Baker will deal with more time and space than normal.  There is an argument for Kelly at LCB and Dasilva at LB, but I would be surprised if LJ left Baker out (he was on press duty today - Think Agard was the last player to be omitted having done the presser!).

Rotherham will try to condense the space centrally when we get into their half.  I noticed v Stoke his narrow they are at that point, both side midfielders and full-backs.  There is no room down the side for Weimann’s clever runs once we have possession 40 yards out.  So we need to get the ball wide quickly to allow our wide players to attack before the whole team has shuffled across and closed space down.  Our strikers must be prepared to attack the box in anticipation of early ball whipped in front of their defence.

The other option is to draw Rotherham forward and then spring Weimann or Taylor in the channel where Mattock typically starts high, or on the break.  Ajayi does cover well though.

The other weakness is the keeper’s punches, they aren’t punches that clear the area, but land around the edge of the area, perfect for a Brownhill to add to his goal tally.

One area we must watch is their corners from the right, where they start their runs from outside the area.  If we allow them to get a run on top of Manning’s excellent delivery, we’ll be picking the ball out of the net.

10 pts from 5 home games (zero points away) shows that we need to approach with caution, and come away with a point isn’t as bad as you might think.  Safe journey all those travelling.

@Grey Fox - over to you!

Great writeup, as always!

Could it be a night, not that I generally advocate it, to 'let' Rotherham have the ball a bit more than they're used to and then as @Davefevs said spring them with quick breaks with Weimann, Taylor- or if we start them, both- draw them onto us a bit and take advantage of their errors, for periods at least.

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Great writeup, as always!

Could it be a night, not that I generally advocate it, to 'let' Rotherham have the ball a bit more than they're used to and then as @Davefevs said spring them with quick breaks with Weimann, Taylor- or if we start them, both- draw them onto us a bit and take advantage of their errors, for periods at least.

Very much so when we have the ball in our own half, that is the chance to spring the runners.

i really don’t think we need a back 3 (as per your other thread), although I’ve just read GMcG’s transcript of LJ’s presser, where he mentions all manner of things that might lead to a re-shuffle in the back line.  It shouldn’t be necessary with Smith ploughing a lone furrow, and would allow their FBs and WMs to overload our WBs...which is probably the best aspect of their style.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Very much so when we have the ball in our own half, that is the chance to spring the runners.

i really don’t think we need a back 3 (as per your other thread), although I’ve just read GMcG’s transcript of LJ’s presser, where he mentions all manner of things that might lead to a re-shuffle in the back line.  It shouldn’t be necessary with Smith ploughing a lone furrow, and would allow their FBs and WMs to overload our WBs...which is probably the best aspect of their style.

Back 3 would be interesting, if unnecessary perhaps- was actually advocating a central 3 in midfield.

Yeah, we'd have to look out for, be alert to those overloads by Rotherham. 4-4-2 just doesn't wholly convince me tbh, but tomorrow night it maybe useful because of the overload thing.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Back 3 would be interesting, if unnecessary perhaps- was actually advocating a central 3 in midfield.

Yeah, we'd have to look out for, be alert to those overloads by Rotherham. 4-4-2 just doesn't wholly convince me tbh, but tomorrow night it maybe useful because of the overload thing.

Ah, ok.  Yes, And for once I might advocate our full-backs playing slightly higher when in possession to pin Newell and Williams back.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

A very different away game than Wigan recently.  From what I’ve seen of The Millers, they are not a heavy pressing team like Wigan, but a team prepared to sit in behind the ball and deny space.  That may be that in other games they are big underdogs (Derby, Stoke etc) on paper and playing differently to the previous Rotherham side who have relied on a physical striker paired with an, athletic, mobile pairtner up front in the form of Ward, Revell, Clarke-Harris, Derbyshire etc.  

How Do They Line-up?

Predominantly 4141 this season, but Saturday v Stoke they went 4411.  In the absence of my trusted Transfermarkt pitch graphic, I've gone to Sky....you even get player photos this time!

A45F7D53-929F-40DB-A9C2-1FFB7B888224.thumb.jpeg.ada0f7124fdd95306f188f35b2632c79.jpeg

GK: Rodak - Slovakian on loan from Fulham.  Punches more than Joe Bugner (one for you old’uns), but generally assured.  Not a strong puncher, so opportunities around the edge of the box from corners.

RB: Jones - former West Brom / Sunderland man who I always thought was a steady Prem performer and surprised to see at a club like RU.  Good going both ways, and will give whoever plays LM a tough night.

LB: Mattock - another former West Brom player.  Definitely one who likes to join the attack and got a tidy left foot.

CB: Ajayi - ex-Arsenal youngster, who signed from Cardiff.  Physically imposing, good pace, unruffled CB, who likes to play and will take a touch.  Likes to mark tight and comfortable chasing down the sides.

CB: Wood - good old pro, no thrills CB, who is a threat from set-pieces.  Not sure if he’ll be fit on Wednesday after coming off v Stoke.  Without the ineligible Vyner that may cause Vaulks to play CB, or a reshuffle with Jones playing inside.

RM: Williams - dangerman - a pest of a player in the niggly Taylor mould.  Energetic and decent feet.  Will be their spark on Wednesday.  Happy to float inside and join up with their 2 forward players.

LM: Newell - ex-Posh, with a nice left foot, but not overly quick.  Surprised he didn’t take any set-pieces (see Manning).  Works the space well fir Mattock to get forward.

CM: Vaulks - ex-Falkirk player who was rumoured to be on our watch list in summer of 16/17 season.  Got the normal OTIB “glowing reference” but everytime I’ve seen him, he’s looked a decent midfielder who does the simple stuff well.  Chips in with goals.

CM: Manning - on loan from QPR, probably behind Freeman in pecking order.  Very nice left foot, who takes a good Set-piece.  One to watch in our final third.

AM: Towell - recent move into the AM position, and busy player without setting the world on fire.

ST: Smith - ex-Swindon man, who scored the winner in the Wade Elliott red card game in 14/15.  Good feet for a big man but not gonna run in behind us.  Will peel to the back stick for crosses so Kelly and Hunt beware.

Other players: Palmer - ex-Burton man in CM who may come in if Vaulks go to CB.  Taylor - another ex-Posh wideman, and Forde, ex-Walsall winger, both with pace.  Injuries to Vassell and ex-Fleetwood target man Proctor making for lack of options up top.

So How Do We Beat Them?

As above, Rotherham are not an up and at ‘em team, despite playing a lot of long balls, so content to sit in and break with Towell and Williams  getting in and around Smith.

When City have the ball, I see less need for Pack to drop in and the CBs to split, as Smith won’t press until we reach halfway, and then it’s more  about shuffling across the pitch. Towell, Newell and Williams will engage as we move 10 yards into their half.  Interesting how the less comfortable on the ball Baker will deal with more time and space than normal.  There is an argument for Kelly at LCB and Dasilva at LB, but I would be surprised if LJ left Baker out (he was on press duty today - Think Agard was the last player to be omitted having done the presser!).

Rotherham will try to condense the space centrally when we get into their half.  I noticed v Stoke his narrow they are at that point, both side midfielders and full-backs.  There is no room down the side for Weimann’s clever runs once we have possession 40 yards out.  So we need to get the ball wide quickly to allow our wide players to attack before the whole team has shuffled across and closed space down.  Our strikers must be prepared to attack the box in anticipation of early ball whipped in front of their defence.

The other option is to draw Rotherham forward and then spring Weimann or Taylor in the channel where Mattock typically starts high, or on the break.  Ajayi does cover well though.

The other weakness is the keeper’s punches, they aren’t punches that clear the area, but land around the edge of the area, perfect for a Brownhill to add to his goal tally.

One area we must watch is their corners from the right, where they start their runs from outside the area.  If we allow them to get a run on top of Manning’s excellent delivery, we’ll be picking the ball out of the net.

10 pts from 5 home games (zero points away) shows that we need to approach with caution, and come away with a point isn’t as bad as you might think.  Safe journey all those travelling.

@Grey Fox - over to you!

Condensed version " kick the bloody ball, in the bloody net"

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I would be surprised if LJ left Baker out (he was on press duty today - Think Agard was the last player to be omitted having done the presser!).

I think Watkins did the presser for Sheff Utd and was on the bench this season didn't he? Not that I think Baker won't start, he and Webster did pretty well together on Friday.

8 hours ago, reddogkev said:

For once, I'd love to see City playing a team that doesn't have a danger man - can't they all just be a little bit rubbish?

Quality research and write up, top man!

Funny you say that, on Twentyman last night (listened this morning) the Rotherham reporter up north was asked by Geoff who the dangerman was, suggesting Smith.  The reporter said they don’t have one!!

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What to be expected?

If the bookies have any clue, a defeat- looked at one betting preview and Prutton's prediction and both have it down as a Rotherham win which is odd.

Think this is very winnable though.

Not sure about that. 

Bet365 have the Rotherham win at 3.75, draw at 3.5 and a City win at 2.1 which I think is fair. 

We've not looked particularly strong in the last few games but this is a game we can win and bring our confidence back up! 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What to be expected?

If the bookies have any clue, a defeat- looked at one betting preview and Prutton's prediction and both have it down as a Rotherham win which is odd.

Think this is very winnable though.

Prutton’s a wankpuffin. Never has a nice thing to say about us.

14 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Prutton’s a wankpuffin. Never has a nice thing to say about us.

Tbh, I don't pay him a great deal of attention- his predictions aside.

Think he had us down to win at WBA, so going by that I'm a bit more confident Wednesday.

@bcfcbird We must use different sites- I just had a quick scan- our past record there doesn't fill me with a great deal of hope, but if there's a good time to break that streak it's tomorrow- not least because of Rotherham's injuries.

1 hour ago, Dan Robin said:

A must win match.

:fingerscrossed:

I hate this saying 10 games into the season when we're at no danger of relegation atm. We could lose this win the next and no one would really bat an eye.

If Hunt is the rumoured potential injured player I wonder whether we may go 3 at the back

.... Maenpaa

Webster .... Baker.... Kelly

O'Dowda .......................................... Eliasson

Brownhill ........... Pack

.......Paterson

Taylor .... Weimann

Basically Pato getting 1 last chance through the middle how he did well last season, but this is also a case of what happens when you get a few injuries and all your best younger players are loaned out.

Archived