IGNORED

Good Old Championship

Port Said Red

28 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Good old league 1 and league 2 then too . With 3 points it is the same in all the leagues, the myth of the Championship being this unpredictable league  is just that, every year all leagues are similar spread between relegation and play off. It is good old 3 points and good old playoffs and 3 place relegation that make all teams in touch with one or the other all season , right to the end . 

16 points between top and bottom of the Championship.

21 points for League 2 and 23 for League 1.

The Championship is noticably closer already.

Gap between 1st and the last playoff spot: Championship, 5 points (could be as low as 2-3 points after tonight), League 1, 8 points, League 2, 7 points.

Not as much of a gap as of this minute, but potentially a big difference in how tight the top of the league is after tonights games are played.

1 minute ago, old_eastender said:

Yep, it's great that it is so tight, but also frustrating that we didn't turn up at Wigan as with 3 more point we could be sitting 3rd already!

Like all leagues the Championship positions fluctuate over 46 games and with less than a quarter of the way through the placing mean very little. All teams have periods of good/bad and indifferent form.

To me it really starts to matter around March/April.

7 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Yep, it's great that it is so tight, but also frustrating that we didn't turn up at Wigan as with 3 more point we could be sitting 3rd already!

I agree, the thing is though, there probably isn't a team in this league where the fans are not saying the same thing about a random game of theirs, (Blackburn V us for example?). I think the hardest thing to achieve is consistency. 

While the point about Wigan is valid, they are unbeaten at home for a reason- the same reason they won 3-0 at Stoke.

They're no mugs and hard to play against at their ground especially.

In short, agree with @Port Said Red applies to probably all the sides in the League- this year no truly outstanding side, well maybe WBA, so yeah every side will be saying it about the odd game.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

While the point about Wigan is valid, they are unbeaten at home for a reason- the same reason they won 3-0 at Stoke.

They're no mugs and hard to play against at their ground especially.

In short, agree with @Port Said Red applies to probably all the sides in the League- this year no truly outstanding side, maybe WBA, so yeah every side will be saying it about the odd game.

I agree with WBA, the best side in the league because of their attack, they'll simply out score most teams.  There are better teams defensively than them but it's their firepower that will get them an automatic spot I reckon.

Otherwise theres probably a dozen teams who are capable of atleast staking a playoff spot simply because there's no other teams bar WBA that stand out.

2 minutes ago, RedBrizzleRobin said:

I agree with WBA, the best side in the league because of their attack, they'll simply out score most teams.  There are better teams defensively than them but it's their firepower that will get them an automatic spot I reckon.

Otherwise theres probably a dozen teams who are capable of atleast staking a playoff spot simply because there's no other teams bar WBA that stand out.

Their defence certainly isn't much cop- tbh, not only are their strikers prolific but clinical too- they have been lucky to get some of the results they have based on balance of play I reckon, interesting to see if it holds through the season.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Like all leagues the Championship positions fluctuate over 46 games and with less than a quarter of the way through the placing mean very little. All teams have periods of good/bad and indifferent form.

To me it really starts to matter around March/April.

Yes I agree - good point

Normally with half a dozen games to go we get a reasonable idea whose in the mix for promotion ,play offs, or relegation

Archived