IGNORED

Overachieving?

zombie

Not pretty tonight, but looking at the table we could argue that we would expect 8 of the 9 (we’ll done Wigan) teams above to be up there, Wednesday, Stoke, Villa should finish above us with their squads. Our wage bill and our net spend proves we’re punching.

Great times for our club, those who were/are the most despondent and thought we’d be bottom 6 by now must be embarrassed by the fact we’re top 10 with 3 winnable home games this month.

Anyone who expects more clearly hasn’t been following City that long, off the pitch we’re better than ever, on the pitch we’re getting there. This is such a competitive league, I appreciate what Brentford are doing, what other clubs have done, but overall am delighted with our set up, management and players.

Without parachute payments we have to reign in our expectations, as supporters we need to appreciate what we have, could be worse, speak to a sag.

FAIR PLAY TO THE FEW HUNDRED WHO TRAVELED NORTH ?

*may have had a few beers watching the game ?

No complaints about the result, the general effort of our players, or our league position.. But I thiink we should be aspiring to better in terms of performance that what we've seen recently. The last three games have been utterly hideous displays of anti football that would give Russell Osman a run for his money!!  What happened to our high pressing, counterattacking philosophy that looked like it was finally bearing fruit 12 months ago? We look miles away from that team now.

2 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

No complaints about the result, the general effort of our players, or our league position.. But I thiink we should be aspiring to better in terms of performance that what we've seen recently. The last three games have been utterly hideous displays of anti football that would give Russell Osman a run for his money!!  What happened to our high pressing, counterattacking philosophy that looked like it was finally bearing fruit 12 months ago? We look miles away from that team now.

I am afraid the answer to that is that our hugely inexperienced management team have no real football philosophy or style of play as a plan.

Its simply survival that drives them, nothing more. Anyone who thinks there is a plan is sadly deluded.

#toocosy

Sheffield Wednesday above us?

Not so sure, FFP etc- surprised they've been able to keep both Bannan and Forestieri tbh. One who are surprising me a tad? Norwich- meant to be doomed post Maddison sale and Murphy also out, but Farke has then going well, playing some decent stuff too by all accounts.

Regardless though, are we overachieving? In terms of budget, size of club, history then quite possibly could be argued yes. In terms of what we could be doing with tactics and the like, insisting on 4-4-2, then probably not.

2 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Agreed, I’m not a ‘happy clapper’, technically it was poor. However, sometimes you need to cancel teams, as a fan it’s difficult, but with a big budget anti football can push you up the table and attractive, expansive football can leave you open when you’re one of the few non parachuted/ex-prem teams.

I agree we should aspire for more, hopefully Lee can bring that back, whilst not burning our squad out, now we have a larger squad with more good depth. I also feel he’s more savvy now, I thoroughly enjoyed the Sheffield Utd game, I know not everyone did.

4 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I am afraid the answer to that is that our hugely inexperienced management team have no real football philosophy or style of play as a plan.

Its simply survival that drives them, nothing more. Anyone who thinks there is a plan is sadly deluded.

#toocosy

I very much disagree, I think there has always been a clear vision on the sort of team LJ wants us to be but we lack the leadership qualities required to make it happen, or the experience to adjust things when they aren't going exactly to plan.

9 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

#toocosy

Bruce or Lee?

*not Bruce Lee or a cabbage 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What’s his ‘clear vision’ .....

Im intrigued............

Thank you. Wasn't difficult was it?

As I said. He's always coached his teams to play the high pressing style of football and has tried to sign players to fit that style. I'm not saying it's been succesful of course. It's a joy to watch when it works, but when you get a few injuries or players out of form, it falls apart and he has no plan B. Thus we see ugly hoofball like the last few games.

1 minute ago, Wanderingred said:

As I said. He's always coached his teams to play the high pressing style of football and has tried to sign players to fit that style. I'm not saying it's been succesful of course. It's a joy to watch when it works, but when you get a few injuries or players out of form, it falls apart and he has no plan B. Thus we see ugly hoofball like the last few games.

So .....as a starter .....

How does recruiting and Playing Famara Diedhiou , fit into the high press ethos

Do you see any evidence of a high press this season, or for the late months of last ? 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What’s his ‘clear vision’ .....

Im intrigued............

Having spoken with the coaching team they do have a vision/philosophy, however we supporters must appreciate we’re not Real, sometimes you have to counter the opposition, we can always play the way us supporters would like, in league one under SC we had the budget and could attract the relative top talent and be more gung-ho, we’re still a small fish at this level, I’d like to think our management team would have us top 4 playing better football week in, week out with a Villa/Stoke budget.

3 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I think his “clear vision” is predominantly conceptual about how he wants his team to play without too much  consideration of how his opponents will stop him.  That’s not to say he doesn’t consider how the other team play, but a belief (in the main) that his tactic will win through.  That’s a bit naive, because teams do set up to stop us playing.

3 minutes ago, zombie said:

Having spoken with the coaching team they do have a vision/philosophy, however we supporters must appreciate we’re not Real, sometimes you have to counter the opposition, we can always play the way us supporters would like, in league one under SC we had the budget and could attract the relative top talent and be more gung-ho, we’re still a small fish at this level, I’d like to think our management team would have us top 4 playing better football week in, week out with a Villa/Stoke budget.

When was this

What did they explain their philosophy was ?

Think you need to remind Lee that we are not Real or Man City As he wants to serve fillet steak made out of rump end

Think I’ve just posted something similar, but we are being countered more often than we are countering our opponents.

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Do you see any evidence of a high press this season, or for the late months of last ? 

I think Fam was decent business at £5.3, I think Lee hoped to improve the aspects of his game you’re eluding to, he still might. Either way happy to have Fam in our squad.

A month is a very short time in football.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think I’ve just posted something similar, but we are being countered more often than we are countering our opponents.

Think that’s (part) of the issue Dave

Guarantee that if we had been at West Brom , Derby , Villa Tonight , Whatever the end result we would have performed far better that’s we displayed at Wigan or tonight - when sides play their own game 

Add muddled thinking (IMHO) in many ways and players and the inability at the present time to cope with a press or a physical battle and it unwinds

I think Fam was decent business at £5.3, I think Lee hoped to improve the aspects of his game you’re eluding to, he still might. Either way happy to have Fam in our squad.

A month is a very short time in football.

But -  Simply And this is only one  point , how is he part of a ‘Clear ethos’ that is the claim

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In the last few I agree, think we should’ve taken the game to Rotherham tonight and at Wigan. However, as a mid table club any point on the road has to be a good one, although I do feel for those who travelled. The point at home against a team with the talent the experienced, proven Bruce had at his disposal was also good.

Our players and their decision making needs to improve, that’s down to them and the coaches, we now have a greater competition and ability to rotate. Therefore against squads of similar ability I would love to see better ball retention, less errors, better movement, sharper thinking etc... 

This thread is about comparing our club, squad, coaches with other in our league, whilst accepting that we have massive room for improvement, I still think that there is an argument to say that we are possibly overachieving, possiblynot as much as Brentford, but I think achievement is relative, ask Darrell or Clough junior, don’t ask Bruce.

*night guys, got to stop ✋ 

2 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

yes definitely 2 steps forward 1 step back at the moment, very frustrating.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sheffield Wednesday above us?

Not so sure, FFP etc- surprised they've been able to keep both Bannan and Forestieri tbh. One who are surprising me a tad? Norwich- meant to be doomed post Maddison sale and Murphy also out, but Farke has then going well, playing some decent stuff too by all accounts.

Regardless though, are we overachieving? In terms of budget, size of club, history then quite possibly could be argued yes. In terms of what we could be doing with tactics and the like, insisting on 4-4-2, then probably not.

I honestly believe you’re the only person that cares about FFP.  You bring it up in every post you make but it makes no difference in the real world, or not that I’ve seen.

I imagine you’re the only person that does 20 mph in the 20 zones.

9 hours ago, RumRed said:

I honestly believe you’re the only person that cares about FFP.  You bring it up in every post you make but it makes no difference in the real world, or not that I’ve seen.

I imagine you’re the only person that does 20 mph in the 20 zones.

Duly noted...

Can labour the point on it a tad, but I mention it less than I used to.

On 03/10/2018 at 23:07, Wanderingred said:

Care to respond to me BobBobsuperBob rather than just leaving emoticons on my post?

On 03/10/2018 at 23:17, BobBobSuperBob said:

After making a fuss , and your sarcasm after getting a traumatic confused emoji

It us Somewhat ironic that you then cease the debate immediately and fail to answer the above

Archived