IGNORED

Matty Taylor > Famara Deidhiou

Silvio Dante

There is an old saying in football that you don’t pick the best 11 players, you pick the best team.

I have no doubt that Fam, when bothered and firing, is a better player as a goal scorer than Matty. However, even on those days his net effect is that we play worse as a team. Not saying he’s a bad player, but that he’s the wrong player for how we set up.

Our best games - pretty much since he signed - have come when MT is in the side. You can go back to when Tammy hit a streak at the end of 16/17, through the Cup last year and into our 4 game win run this year - Taylor’s in the side. 

Fams not a scapegoat here, far from it. And in a different side, set up a different way, he’s on the sheet. But just look at today  - and not for the first time this year - the difference MT made. Even Patos effort on the bar was from really good, intelligent hold up play from him!

There was a thread at the end of the 16/17 season asking who we’d miss the most were they out. I replied Korey and Taylor. Nothing since alters that view, and in the case of the latter, even more so.

To the dissenters - ignore the goal return from a stop start career here, look at the whole. MT is vital to us here, and in our current system with the other squad players, I’d take him over Fammy every day.

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

There is an old saying in football that you don’t pick the best 11 players, you pick the best team.

I have no doubt that Fam, when bothered and firing, is a better player as a goal scorer than Matty. However, even on those days his net effect is that we play worse as a team. Not saying he’s a bad player, but that he’s the wrong player for how we set up.

Our best games - pretty much since he signed - have come when MT is in the side. You can go back to when Tammy hit a streak at the end of 16/17, through the Cup last year and into our 4 game win run this year - Taylor’s in the side. 

Fams not a scapegoat here, far from it. And in a different side, set up a different way, he’s on the sheet. But just look at today  - and not for the first time this year - the difference MT made. Even Patos effort on the bar was from really good, intelligent hold up play from him!

There was a thread at the end of the 16/17 season asking who we’d miss the most were they out. I replied Korey and Taylor. Nothing since alters that view, and in the case of the latter, even more so.

To the dissenters - ignore the goal return from a stop start career here, look at the whole. MT is vital to us here, and in our current system with the other squad players, I’d take him over Fammy every day.

Eloquently put SD...as usual ?

We need to stop rotating Taylor in and out and give him a good run starting every match. Famara can build his match fitness from the subs bench, and Taylor shouldn’t  be the one one that he replaces every time either. We need constant movement and pressing from both front men to do well with our squad. 

Well said Silvio but Italians comment is succinct and true. We should expect the coaches to keep making the best decisions based on all these different views. 

I don't see Silvio view we need Corey back, I see Brownhill as a player impacting more at this level than Corey would. 

Oh the joy of such diverse opinions

17 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Is it coincidence that Weinmans goals have dried up since Fammys return  ?

I think it is. Weimann has started next to Taylor even after the return and has not looked like scoring. Think Weimann had a freak start to the season and will struggle to double his tally even if he played with Taylor the rest of the season. Good hardworking and honest pro and good business but don’t think he is that goal scoring forward we all want

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think it is. Weimann has started next to Taylor even after the return and has not looked like scoring. Think Weimann had a freak start to the season and will struggle to double his tally even if he played with Taylor the rest of the season. Good hardworking and honest pro and good business but don’t think he is that goal scoring forward we all want

Unfortunately neither is Fammy it seems.

26 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Unfortunately neither is Fammy it seems.

I agree Fam should be doing more. That said he isn’t being played to his strengths imo. Whereas Taylor and Weimann are. You look at Fam and you think he should be a combo of both but he is more similar to Weimann than Taylor. They aren’t a great pairing. Either Fam or Weimann needs to be the bench option or Weimann go wide. Neither ideal but is the reality of it. Can’t see Fam and Weimann ever being a decent pairing. 

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

I don’t think it is coincidence - I openly admit that I miss lots in games as I look around a lot at the crowd and the players not actually involved as the ball is at the other end of the pitch BUT what I do pick up on is the little things where Wiemann is patting Matty on the ass when he runs by or one is giving the other a gee up - I see none of that when Famara is on the pitch.

Friendships/relationships matter on the pitch and it is obvious to me from the little things that Wiemann and Taylor have that natural link and understanding going on hence know where each other is and what sort of service or pass the other is looking for.

In short with Famara they have a partner in attack - Taylor and Wiemann together have a partnership in attack.

At the moment, Matty and Andi up front for me and Fam as a potential 2nd half replacement maybe.

In truth, I do wonder if Andi is quite suited to playing up there on his own with (or as) an extra attacking midfielder. His movement certainly disturbs defences and makes spaces for others.

I was warming to our Barcelona esq style in last years cup run.

13 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Yes I’d say so. Reid played in the same role and had no issues with Fammy on the pitch, infact they had a pretty good understanding from the off and linked well. The last 5 games or so Weimann has unfortunately looked like the player I thought we were signing. Needs dropping for Taylor, think he and Fammy could do very well together and showed glimpses of it last season in the limited time they played together (Stoke in the league cup for example).

16 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Yes I’d say so. Reid played in the same role and had no issues with Fammy on the pitch, infact they had a pretty good understanding from the off and linked well. The last 5 games or so Weimann has unfortunately looked like the player I thought we were signing. Needs dropping for Taylor, think he and Fammy could do very well together and showed glimpses of it last season in the limited time they played together (Stoke in the league cup for example).

What , when we went on the dire second half of last season

Our best run / spell  was whilst FD was injured and not available

We played the best football last year whilst Fam was injured, with Reid and Pato... free flowing attacking football along the ground... Fam replaced Pato, we went long ball .. and Reid’s goals dried up

This year we started with Weimann in great scoring form... Fam comes back after ban... back to long balls and Weimanns goals dry up ..

We are a better side without a big man up top

33 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Our best run / spell  was whilst FD was injured and not available

16 minutes ago, GILLI said:

We played the best football last year whilst Fam was injured, with Reid and Pato... free flowing attacking football along the ground... Fam replaced Pato, we went long ball .. and Reid’s goals dried up

This year we started with Weimann in great scoring form... Fam comes back after ban... back to long balls and Weimanns goals dry up ..

Totally agree, we had a better record without Fammy in the team last season.....and he ain’t doing great this season either...

We were playing well before Fam was injured last season. Just because he happened to be injured when we played well doesn’t mean him not being there was what made us special. He came back into a struggling side and scored goals long after the likes of Paterson, Baker and others went missing. 

1 hour ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

This is how I think too. Only thing I’d say is Taylor is probably the one that needs to play regardless. So if he is playing he needs the better goal scorer beside him imo. Part of me thinks use Fam at home and Weimann away. As long as the Weimann Taylor combo can grind out results like Swansea then it is useful. Just need to tuck away chances away from home(think if AW scores early at WBA). 

At the end of the day, with a pairing I think we always have this problem and conversation. Taylor is the better grafter and hold up play. Weimann is the better presser and runner. Famara is the better finisher. Now I’d say for the money, it is a shame Famara can’t be a more complete forward but we have to work with what we have got. 

15 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think he can be...but respect your view Joe.  Maybe not 20 goals, but 15/16....I know that’s not many more than the 10-12 you e quoted previously but it seems a lot more ?

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

At the moment, Matty and Andi up front for me and Fam as a potential 2nd half replacement maybe.

In truth, I do wonder if Andi is quite suited to playing up there on his own with (or as) an extra attacking midfielder. His movement certainly disturbs defences and makes spaces for others.

I was warming to our Barcelona esq style in last years cup run.

Ah, you tinker, you beat me to it...I was only saying this to @BobBobSuperBob last week!

I don’t quite agree with Bob that Diedhiou was a strange signing for LJ with his 442 principle....Djúric definitely was though.

But I definitely see the merits in a 4411/451, even a 4141, where Pack sits and any of the 4 midfielders have licence to get forward.  That’s pretty much how we played against Man City, where Pato played CM (in effect) But was the first to try to join Reid, in fact sometimes they were the other way around.

I would be very tempted to go with Weimann on his own, but I actually think Taylor deserves 2 or 3 starts on the trot to see if he can spark Weimann and himself...and the team.

11 hours ago, GILLI said:

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Totally agree, we had a better record without Fammy in the team last season.....and he ain’t doing great this season either...

What a complete myth this is. Reid scored 8 in 16 up to Famara’s injury, 6 in 16 in the games he was out injured, then 7 in 20 when he was back again.

Our record being better is also a complete myth, yes we had a period where we were excellent (as we were up to Famara’s injury as well) but we’d already collapsed again long before he came back. Form up to his injury 17 games 9 wins 6 draws 2 defeats, form during his injury 17 games 9 wins 2 draws 6 defeats.

Archived