IGNORED

Have a look at yourselves!

SStandUp

Why after every loss do we go into an utterly embarrassing meltdown. We've played very poorly in 2 away games this year, granted. But in the other 9 we've been decent for large parts, and very good at times too.

We lost £24 million worth of quality in the summer and here we are 1 point off the play offs.

Im seeing things like Famara is our worst signing ever... a bloke who scored 13 goals last year after having 3 and a half months out injured! 

A lot of our fan base need to get a grip. There is absolutely no sense of perspective. When you consider everything about the club, what gives us the right to be anywhere near the play offs.

Wage bill, money spent, attendances, players are all average/ mid table for the championship... yet everyone expects so much more. Why? Because we beat a 2nd string Man United team in the tinpot cup? Grow up 

Very well said. this forum isn't a true reflection of a lot of our fans. 

These forums are generally used by the more negative fan to vent frustration.

There is some decent content, hence why I post from time to time.

But OTIB is widely regarded as completely full of **** to alot of City.

You tend to get a much better view of things on twitter from our fanbase. 

14 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Why after every loss do we going into an utterly embarrassing meltdown. We've played very poorly in 2 away games this year, granted. But in the other 9 we've been decent for large parts, and very good at times too.

We lost £24 million worth of quality in the summer and here we are 1 point off the play offs.

Im seeing things like Famara is our worst signing ever... a bloke who scored 13 goals last year after having 3 and a half months out injured! 

A lot of our fan base need to get a grip. There is absolutely no sense of perspective. When you consider everything about the club, what gives us the right to be anywhere near the play offs.

Wage bill, money spent, attendances, players are all average/ mid table for the championship... yet everyone expects so much more. Why? Because we beat a 2nd string Man United team in the tinpot cup? Grow up 

and it wasn't even a loss. It was an away point against a team whose home record this season is P6 W 3 D 2 L 1

15 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Why after every loss do we go into an utterly embarrassing meltdown. We've played very poorly in 2 away games this year, granted. But in the other 9 we've been decent for large parts, and very good at times too.

utter rubbish

It was the nature of the draw, not the result that has irked those of us who watched it. Lacklustre, disinterested, feeble.

One or two will overreact but I think for most of us the anger comes because we know this team can be so much better than they were at that showing.

Nonetheless, to quote the Johnson mantra "we pick ourselves up and go again" on Sunday.

4 minutes ago, Super said:

utter rubbish

Ahh you would wouldn't you? The elation felt on here when city are not playing free flowing football, especially away is culpable, it just stokes up the anti LJ Brigades fires. Very sad really, anyone just coming on here, a (Bristol City forum,) might be excused in thinking it has been sabotaged by some Rovers nutters. 

Of course the faithful  City lot know that it is what really defines OTIB, not the real support for the club. 

12 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Ahh you would wouldn't you? The elation felt on here when city are not playing free flowing football, especially away is culpable, it just stokes up the anti LJ Brigades fires. Very sad really, anyone just coming on here, a (Bristol City forum,) might be excused in thinking it has been sabotaged by some Rovers nutters. 

Of course the faithful  City lot know that it is what really defines OTIB, not the real support for the club. 

Don't necessarily ask for free-flowing football at all times- Rotherham away in midweek is no gimmee, but at the same time a better tactical plan, especially based on the first half, isn't a huge amount to ask for,

The best individuals don't always make the best team- we learnt that last season when we had to play Wright and Magnússon at full back, Brownhill and Bryan as wide midfielders on the right and left and Paterson behind Reid (some of those were indeed our top players, but not necessarily in those positions- if that makes sense). We had to adapt, to mix and match a bit- and ironically it actually produced our best period of football of the season- home and away.

That in turn, a more coherent, perhaps imaginative tactical plan would have helped with the football on display, and may well have seen us win.

40 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Great post and spot on. A higher level perspective is often needed.

Having said that - that Man U game was just amazing to witness - if that is people’s reference point then you can’t blame them for wanting more.

39 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Glass half full or glass half empty

When has anyone ever said Fammy is our worst signing?

But this line . . . " We've played very poorly in 2 away games this year" How about being on the other side of the coin, how many periods of games have WE played really well?

The team is already shaping up to what maybe we should expect?

Average side

Average tactics

Average subs in a game

Average league position

• Admin
2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Having said that - that Man U game was just amazing to witness - if that is people’s reference point then you can’t blame them for wanting more.

Completely the wrong level to be measuring ourselves against

Even the gas can win a one off cup match, it's all about 46 league games (and more)

42 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

Very well said. this forum isn't a true reflection of a lot of our fans. 

These forums are generally used by the more negative fan to vent frustration.

There is some decent content, hence why I post from time to time.

But OTIB is widely regarded as completely full of **** to alot of City.

You tend to get a much better view of things on twitter from our fanbase. 

Anyone taking twitter as their sole reference point would come to the conclusion that at least 80% of City fans are complete morons.

49 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

I think the thread 054321stateed called what do you individually want Bristol City to achieve raises a of of good balanced points so does the Famara thread.  

The fact is we are only 6 points off the top 3 - we have played 11 games and 3 of those games were against Sheffield Utd, the Boro and WBA - 3 of the current top 4. Not to mention Swansea and Forest

We have actually had quite a tough start opponent wise to this season and I personally thought we'd be a lot more adrift of the top 6 than we currently are. Rather be us than Preston for sure  :0)   COYR

1 hour ago, ForeverRes said:

Is it really an embarrassing meltdown? I haven't seen that, just reasoned debate about our performance, tactics and player selection. I think that appears to be the general concern (not where we are in the table). 

I think half the issue to most fans is we have played some very decent stuff at times this season so know we are capable, even after losing £24 million worth of players. Swansea away was superb and assured, Blackburn comeback, Sheff U done a job on them, West Brom in parts was brilliant. But then we get the Bolton, QPR half, Wigan, Boro, Rotherham.

Overall I think many would be happy where we are league position wise, but also want to see entertaining football and consistency. Granted it won't happen every game, but same games are poles apart from the last game played which is baffling, and whether it is the players or LJs fault I don't know.

I feel LJ, his lack of tactical awareness and more importantly no sign that he’s learning and growing into the role of Head Coach at a reasonably big championship club is holding us back.  

We have a team that if judged by what we see week in week out is underperforming more often than not. 

I was hoping that by now I would be seeing signs of improvement from Lee and his staff.  We’ve had 3 months of quality and a few years of rubbish and inconsistency under his watch.

Can anyone be happy with the standard of football we are seeing most weeks.  LJ wants the team to play in a certain way, energy, high press etc.  Is he showing any sign that he can get players, the majority which he’s purchased, to buy into this and play the way he wants.  If he can’t, has he got the skills to coach them or the know how and balls to change this system and admit it’s not working?

I haven't had a chance to read all the threads today owing to short turnaround from travel to sleep to work today (FML) but a couple of observations between meetings on the theme of overreaction:

- I agree there is no need for a meltdown, but I'm not seeing the main reason that an overreaction isn't justified: which is that Rotherham played bloody well. Sometimes you just need to call it what it is. They weren't too bad against Stoke and I honestly though they were one of the best sides we've played, in terms of how they setup, how much energy they had, and what they did with the ball. It was everything we're supposed to be, and that says more about THEM. 

- I don't care that they're relegation favourites, it's immaterial to the style and quality of football they produced. We've done that to teams before in our best run last season when it wasn't expected (and in that 4-4-1-1 formation, for what it's worth), I don't understand why we don't give credit when others do it to us even if it is "Rotherham". We weren't very good, but that should take nothing away from Rotherham who played some really good football - just couldn't finish.

- However, at the other extreme, I certainly wouldn't ignore the concerns from yesterday. This was a match in which for 45 minutes our first choice 11 did not compete, the brand of football which was more and more encouraging throughout our winning run, was completely gone, replaced with lack of understanding across the middle (including wingers totally lost), punting long balls forward, and at every change of possession, being static and disinterest in the second ball.

- That isn't a good measure of where we have got to from the good progress that was being made a month ago, and it's right and fair to be asking questions about why we appear to have forgotten how to employ the style of play (or indeed any style of play) set out earlier in the season. How do you become identity less overnight? My assumption is that LJ's well drilled football requires confidence and in just a few results we've lost all of ours. Didn't see any leaders either.

There are different levels of debate about different timeframes and to put them all together is your loss of perspective.

Absolutely the club is generally fine and moving in generally the right direction under generally decent leadership. Perspective.

Absolutely that was a god awful first 60 minutes where our players were garbage and the manager made selection and or tactical errors against a team we spend more than. Perspective.

"Wage bill, money spent, attendances, players are all average/ mid table for the championship... yet everyone expects so much more"

By your own expectation setting you SHOULD be upset by last night. Consider where we stack up vs Rotherham in those categories.

If you can't see the frame as well as the full motion picture it is you who have lost the nuance of perspective. Most people are able to get upset about a moment AND understand the bigger picture. If you are numb to the moments of football, the bad passes, wrong decisions, the scoring of a last minute winner... I'm not sure why you'd watch.  Do you stare at the league table vs ranking of finances invested to see how we're doing while the game is going on?

5 minutes ago, Prinny said:

There are different levels of debate about different timeframes and to put them all together is your loss of perspective.

Absolutely the club is generally fine and moving in generally the right direction under generally decent leadership. Perspective.

Absolutely that was a god awful first 60 minutes where our players were garbage and the manager made selection and or tactical errors against a team we spend more than. Perspective.

"Wage bill, money spent, attendances, players are all average/ mid table for the championship... yet everyone expects so much more"

By your own expectation setting you SHOULD be upset by last night. Consider where we stack up vs Rotherham in those categories.

If you can't see the frame as well as the full motion picture it is you who have lost the nuance of perspective. Most people are able to get upset about a moment AND understand the bigger picture. If you are numb to the moments of football, the bad passes, wrong decisions, the scoring of a last minute winner... I'm not sure why you'd watch.  Do you stare at the league table vs ranking of finances invested to see how we're doing while the game is going on?

Superb post.

Archived