IGNORED

JL on making our own kits.

Bristol Rob

100% get how they have evolved the design and style as they've gained experience from starting from zero experience.

But what wasn't addressed was that if you've come up with the near perfect design, why change it next season?

Do you really need to change your kit every season?

Has every fan been brainwashed that this is necessary and the norm?

Purely money generation, which contradicts most of the ethos supposedly spouted out by JL 

7 hours ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

I actually went to school with the guy with the face tattoos... was always a little weird and safe to say I’ve never seen him at the gate before, fair play that he’s getting paid though, after he got the face tattoos it was either tattooing or alternative modelling 

Why. Just why. 

You get more ambitious as you go and you get more comfortable in the designs as well because we get to refine them. So there’s definitely been a growth of the model but it’s been great to be able to do things from the start, for example a purple kit. We’ve wanted to do that for years but we couldn’t because no one could provide us with the right colourways and the right numbers.

I like this.

However I don't agree with the idea that JL thinks you should be able to wear a football shirt in a nightclub, but that's a personal preference.

OK hashtags bombed, but the robin and the purple were by enlarge a success and probably couldn't have happened within the constraints of the Puma/Adidas contract. However, no mention of cost, my final question would definitely have been, why do they still cost so much?

Is this financially a winner for city and are they worried about devaluing the aesthetics of the shirt by bringing the cost down? Or does it cost just as much to produce as it does to buy in and buy basic?

1 hour ago, solihull cider red said:

However, no mention of cost, my final question would definitely have been, why do they still cost so much?

Is this financially a winner for city and are they worried about devaluing the aesthetics of the shirt by bringing the cost down? Or does it cost just as much to produce as it does to buy in and buy basic?

Because they are greedy bar stewards. Plain and simple. The shirt is a $2 cost at factory gate.

I think whoever orders the actual numbers of products should be sacked. I’ve been trying to get a pair of black shorts( would never where a shirt , but each to there own). Been in the.shop once a week for the last 6 weeks, no medium or large shorts and they can’t give you a date for delivery. I would’ve thought the average male in the country wear these sizes, but they’ve got loads of small, xl and xxl left. Surely it would be better to order more of your biggest seller? Seem to remember the same happening last season aswell!

Would be interesting to know if they approach fans for feedback. I don’t remember seeing anything. For example, the big rubber badge on the red and purple shirts this year put me off buying a shirt. Felt it looked cheap and tacky.

For what it’s worth however I think overall Bristol Sport have done very well with the kits since they started making them 

8 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Why. Just why. 

The only thing that annoyed me about it was that he got his face and hands tattooed before any other part of his body, still now the arms are pretty bare

I actually thought you were him when I first saw your pic last year sometime, obviously alex gives it away haha

The point about the shirts ripping is a key point that I hadn't thought about before. By putting the Bristol Sport badge on the shirts, they have to ensure that the kits at least rival the quality of other kits out there. The likes of Adidas and co don't need to worry about this because everyone is using their kits already. That might go some way towards saying why the kits cost the same as mainstream kits.

With that being said, Lansdown Jr has some strange views on football kits. I've got nothing against the models, since I know a few "alternative models" myself, but Lansdown Jr needs to realise he's promoting a football kit and not a lifestyle business.

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

The point about the shirts ripping is a key point that I hadn't thought about before. By putting the Bristol Sport badge on the shirts, they have to ensure that the kits at least rival the quality of other kits out there. The likes of Adidas and co don't need to worry about this because everyone is using their kits already. That might go some way towards saying why the kits cost the same as mainstream kits.

With that being said, Lansdown Jr has some strange views on football kits. I've got nothing against the models, since I know a few "alternative models" myself, but Lansdown Jr needs to realise he's promoting a football kit and not a lifestyle business.

Surely the end goal is for people to be wearing Bristol Sport clothing even if they are not footy/rugby fans, and even if they are not playing sport etc?  obviously very early days, but I think having the vision to see beyond making just football kits for City is exactly what’s needed, and ultimately becoming a ‘lifestyle brand’ would generate more revenue etc etc.

Obviously it’s a long way off as they have only been going for a few years, (read the Shoe Dog about Nike to see how hard it can be), but hats off to Bristol Sport for thinking outside of the box.

23 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Surely the end goal is for people to be wearing Bristol Sport clothing even if they are not footy/rugby fans, and even if they are not playing sport etc?  obviously very early days, but I think having the vision to see beyond making just football kits for City is exactly what’s needed, and ultimately becoming a ‘lifestyle brand’ would generate more revenue etc etc.

Obviously it’s a long way off as they have only been going for a few years, (read the Shoe Dog about Nike to see how hard it can be), but hats off to Bristol Sport for thinking outside of the box.

Bristol Sport could become a lifestyle brand, but it's not as easy as putting some capital behind some sub-contracted manufacturers and hiring a bunch of Instagrammable models to peddle your wares. That ship sailed a while back with Gym Shark, and everyone and their dog is trying to copy that success.

I want to like JL, but he's got zero experience in this game, and after the shitshow that was the five pillars and the hashtags on shirts I think he has a lot to prove in order to show that he can push this in the right direction. It's a huge jump from making kits for a small Championship club to deciding he's the next Victoria Beckham.

Archived