IGNORED

England Squad

Super

Good to see some new faces in

England squad to play Croatia and Spain:

Goalkeepers - Marcus Bettinelli, Jack Butland, Alex McCarthy, Jordan Pickford.

Defenders - Trent Alexander-Arnold, Joe Gomez, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, Luke Shaw, John Stones, James Tarkowski, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker.

Midfielders - Ross Barkley, Nathaniel Chalobah, Eric Dier, Jordan Henderson, Mason Mount, Harry Winks.

Forwards - Harry Kane, James Maddison, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Danny Welbeck.

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

That midfield is a disgrace.

Mason ******* Mount? Over Hughes at Watford?

What the hell has Welbeck done to warrant his inclusion?

Agree about Hughes been playing well this season. Would also add Chalobah as well being in the squad.

4 minutes ago, daored said:

Agree about Hughes been playing well this season. Would also add Chalobah as well being in the squad.

Hughes should feel pretty aggrieved. As you say he's been a stalwart in a team that is mixing it with the top 6 in the country...and then some kid from Frank Lampard's bloody Derby County gets picked ahead of you!?

Looking at those who made the squad, i am wondering whether he'll experiment with formation.

I cannot see how some of those players would fit in the 3-5-2 formation he played at the World Cup.

The Defence and wing backs would be straight forward, but it's the midfielders and sub strikers that may call for the differing formation.

Can't see Mount and Madison playing the roles that Alli & Lingaard played - but then again, why not give it a go in some Friendlies? See what they can do.

38 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

That midfield is a disgrace.

Mason ******* Mount? Over Hughes at Watford?

What the hell has Welbeck done to warrant his inclusion?

Mount is massively rated mind

Southgate had him over in Russia training with the squad

I find Maddison really irritating and I’d want to kick him 10ft skywards but he’s a good player and deserves a look - fair play to him he’s jumped up well

Sancho I confess I know little about but keep hearing German based reporters praising him up on radio - clearly impressing over in Germany 

Chaloboah is a strange one , never greatly wowed or impressed me but a player (Can’t remember who it was )  described him as the most gifted player they’d played with

Id suggest on performances this season Harvey Barnes can’t be far away

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I find Maddison really irritating and I’d want to kick him 10ft skywards but he’s a good player and deserves a look - fair play to him he’s jumped up well

Sancho I confess I know little about but keep hearing German based reporters praising him up on radio - clearly impressing over in Germany 

Chaloboah is a strange one , never greatly wowed or impressed me but a player (Can’t remember who it was )  described him as the most gifted player they’d played with

Sancho has been excellent so far this year, so much so that Dortmund have just given him a massive new contract til 2022 (don't quote me on the date).

Mason Mount had a very good season in the Eredivisie last season, and was Vitesse Arnhem's player of the season. He has also done very well for England's age group teams. As BBSB says above, there are very high hopes for him in the future.

I don't get why there always seems to be such an outcry over players who have been omitted from the squad. Before the world cup it was Shelvey and Wilshere. Now it would seem it's Will Hughes (although Chalobah's inclusion would suggest that Southgate hasn't completely overlooked Watford's decent start to the season).

9 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Mason Mount had a very good season in the Eredivisie last season, and was Vitesse Arnhem's player of the season. He has also done very well for England's age group teams. As BBSB says above, there are very high hopes for him in the future.

I don't get why there always seems to be such an outcry over players who have been omitted from the squad. Before the world cup it was Shelvey and Wilshere. Now it would seem it's Will Hughes (although Chalobah's inclusion would suggest that Southgate hasn't completely overlooked Watford's decent start to the season).

Chalobah was a constant part of the U21s with Southgate and those players he knows well he seems to be looking to give the chance to

Im not swooned by Southgate but he has a belief and Tbf to him will know the comparative merits of Hughes nad Chalobah better than anyone

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Sure he is, and for good reason. I still think it is a bit rich to bring him into the squad. 

Think he’s being fast tracked / groomed due to how he’s impressed at all levels to date

Not too dissimilar to the way the Cricket selectors now look ahead for potential future stars rather than pick purely on current status or form

42 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Looking at those who made the squad, i am wondering whether he'll experiment with formation.

I cannot see how some of those players would fit in the 3-5-2 formation he played at the World Cup.

The Defence and wing backs would be straight forward, but it's the midfielders and sub strikers that may call for the differing formation.

Can't see Mount and Madison playing the roles that Alli & Lingaard played - but then again, why not give it a go in some Friendlies? See what they can do.

Think both certainly deserve their call-up.

Good chance Spain and Croatia will be taking it fairly seriously I think, so an opportunity to see how they fare in competitive type games vs strong opposition- deep end slightly, but as you say why not see what they can do. Will Mount start in these games? Dunno. Being around the squad though- even that would be a boost to him.

Maybe we'll try 4-3-3 at times in these 2 games, a good Plan B at bare minimum I reckon.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think both certainly deserve their call-up.

Good chance Spain and Croatia will be taking it fairly seriously I think, so an opportunity to see how they fare in competitive type games vs strong opposition- deep end slightly, but as you say why not see what they can do. Will Mount start in these games? Dunno. Being around the squad though- even that would be a boost to him.

Maybe we'll try 4-3-3 at times in these 2 games, a good Plan B at bare minimum I reckon.

Possibly, in addition to 4-2-3-1 also.

Have Dier - Henderson holding

Sterling - Maddison - Sancho 

Kane up top 

Looks quite tasty those front 4. Lots of creativity and movement in that attacking 3 behind Kane.

Chop and change it around as the game goes on.

England certainly do have some great young players coming through, as shown by the recent success of the youth teams in tournaments.

6 minutes ago, Super said:

Has Chalobah played this season?

That's a very fair question and I was surprised to see on Soccerbase that he's only played three games this season, two of which were in the league cup. He's mostly been an unused sub. Perhaps I should take back my comment above about Chalobah being picked over Hughes demonstrating that Southgate hasn't ignored Watford's good start to the season (as their good start can't owe much to Chalobah if he's only played one league game). Well pointed out.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Looking at some of Sanchos performances is very much a mixed bag, reminds me of Ryan Kent last season, tries to dribble and get past people at every opportunity, and losing it considerably. No doubt he has the quality though. 

4 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Looking at some of Sanchos performances is very much a mixed bag, reminds me of Ryan Kent last season, tries to dribble and get past people at every opportunity, and losing it considerably. No doubt he has the quality though. 

1 goal and 5 assists in 125 minutes of play though...

19 minutes ago, North London Red said:

That's a very fair question and I was surprised to see on Soccerbase that he's only played three games this season, two of which were in the league cup. He's mostly been an unused sub. Perhaps I should take back my comment above about Chalobah being picked over Hughes demonstrating that Southgate hasn't ignored Watford's good start to the season (as their good start can't owe much to Chalobah if he's only played one league game). Well pointed out.

Probably played less than Phil Foden who lots thought would make the squad. Hughes has had a good start to the season can count himself unlucky.

What a fantastic exciting squad. Only a friendly so looking forward to seeing some of these play.  We need to pick players that are technically very good, happy to receive ball in tight positions, brave on the ball, instinctive and busy. 

Hopefully we line up something like this. 
               McCarthy
Trent Stones Gomez Shaw
       Chalobah. Winks
  Sancho.Maddison. Sterling
                  Kane

McCarthy is our second best keeper easily. Back four all in great form. Could have Maguire in for Stones. Two midfielders are excellent and as I describe above. Next three are all very exciting and hugely creative. 

An abundance of skill, pace, creativity and on-the-ball confidence

27 minutes ago, RedDave said:

What a fantastic exciting squad. Only a friendly so looking forward to seeing some of these play.  We need to pick players that are technically very good, happy to receive ball in tight positions, brave on the ball, instinctive and busy. 

McCarthy
Trent Stones Gomez Shaw
       Chalobah. Winks
                  Kane

McCarthy is our second best keeper easily. Back four all in great form. Could have Maguire in for Stones. Two midfielders are excellent and as I describe above. Next three are all very exciting and hugely creative. 

Not quite - both games are in the Nations League. The game against Croatia in Rijeka (and the return game at Wembley in November) could well be a relegation decider in terms of who goes down into League B in the next version of the Nations League.

6 hours ago, RedDave said:

McCarthy
Trent Stones Gomez Shaw
       Chalobah. Winks
                  Kane

Keep hoping !

Southgate has already said that the main reason to call them up is to see how they fit in with the training environment , rest of squad etc etc I don’t anticipate too many seeing many minutes in the two games

3 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Haven't seen yesterdays squad announcement posted anywhere else & didn't want to start a new thread.

Wan-Bissaka, Ward Prowse and Maddison unlucky to miss out?

How Wan-Bissaka isn't in the squad I've got no idea. 

Really pleased Rice is going though. ******* deserves it.

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

How Wan-Bissaka isn't in the squad I've got no idea. 

Really pleased Rice is going though. ******* deserves it.

Quite embarrassing as he got Ireland young player of the year :facepalm:

1 minute ago, Super said:

Quite embarrassing as he got Ireland player of the year :facepalm:

Whilst I’m glad he’s playing for England, you shouldn’t be allowed to switch once you get a full cap. I’d understand if it was just a few u21 appearances but not a full cap. 

Wonder if Zaha watched us at the World Cup last year regretting his decision? 

2 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Whilst I’m glad he’s playing for England, you shouldn’t be allowed to switch once you get a full cap. I’d understand if it was just a few u21 appearances but not a full cap. 

Wonder if Zaha watched us at the World Cup last year regretting his decision? 

Totally agree. Really doesn't sit well.

Archived