IGNORED

Bristol City v Sheffield Wednesday Matchday Thread number 12

cidered abroad

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The usual reactionary nonsense after every defeat. We’re 3 points off the play offs and 9 off relegation.

Won 4, drawn 4, lost 4 is the definition of average and mid-table. For every disappointing defeat you can point to, someone else can point to an encouraging victory.

Get a grip.

Not for 5 games in a row now they can’t - unfortunately. Think concerns are justified as it stands. 

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The usual reactionary nonsense after every defeat. We’re as 3 points off the play offs and 9 off relegation.

Won 4, drawn 4, lost 4 is the definition of average and mid-table. For every disappointing defeat you can point to, someone else can point to an encouraging victory.

Get a grip.

"Reactionary" - haha. We've been dire for four games and couldn't score in a brothel. We started the season well but we're very much on the slide. LJ, as is often the case during these bad runs, looks lost for ideas.

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I know what you meant, but I disagree. Nobody will have changed their mind on LJ based on that.

It won't just be based on that though will it.We have gone from being the best team seen at WBA to the worse at Wigan and Rotherham according to their fans and that to me sums up the helter skelter we are on with LJ.

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The usual reactionary nonsense after every defeat. We’re 3 points off the play offs and 9 off relegation.

Get a grip.

But another four or five games like this and we could be...................

16 minutes ago, Sturny said:

If you seriously think Webster > Flint you're hopeless 

Different players, personally I like centre halves that are comfortable on the ball, Webster might not be a dominant in the air, but he’s not beaten that often, neither is he done for pace as he reads the game better. As a package I think Webster is and will be a better player, and at 24 will only improve.

33 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Get a grip.

Yeah but 3 of those 4 defeats have been in the last 5 played. We're on the slide and history suggests LJ will get out the Tombola machine and have no real idea how to halt it. Worrying.

55 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Not for me. Don’t think it was their game plan to completely misplace every pass and kick balls out of play. They probably sensed blood after 50 mins, changed their shape and scored shortly after. 

They clearly decided to sit in during the first half. That’s the only reason we had the majority of possession.

Believe it or not some teams actually do do that. Yes they misplaced passes, but who doesn’t. 

Why do you think there most creative player was held back until the 2nd half? It’s called tactical decisions, and it worked a treat for them.

58 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We have a soft underbelly. LJ knows it and hasn't addressed it .

What's happened to Diedhou and Pack both way below the level required ?

This was Da Silva's best game in a City shirt . Well done that lad.

Kelly class as usual.

Big disappointment and all our old failings coming to light , why ?

Why? your first sentence has addressed the problem perfectly, as I said in another post it’s a midfield in his image as a player, weak and negative.

41 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Get a grip.

All posts after games are reactionary, but I honestly don’t see what we are doing and what are game plan is. We have been awful for the last few weeks, and as a fan I’m totally confused about what our manager is instructing  my team to do on the pitch for 90 minutes!.

I seriously am finding it hard to get excited about watching us, I get the fact that we played neat football v West Brom, but we conceded 4 goals, so we had to be less adventurous. 

But LJ seems incapable of finding that middle ground, where the players are allowed to express themselves whilst also making sure we aren’t a soft touch when teams attack us. 

This is now the third season of total inconsistency on the pitch, I personally think that a football manager being paid a small fortune should be capable of addressing this.

Such a frustrating game. We were dominant first half but very wasteful against a Wednesday side who seemed very beatable. It was terrible defending from us for their first goal and similarly powder-puff for the second. We seem to give opposition players so much room. Our goal came with a decent amount of time left but we looked more toothless as the game wore on.

Da Silva played very well and for me was our best player. Diedhiou on the other hand was completely out of sorts and something doesn't seem right with him at the moment.

56 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Packs poor form is really costing us. 

Just goes to show how important he is to the team. It may be that we need 'THAT' sort of player to keep us ticking, bit like how Wade used to. No coincidence that our recent poor run has coincided with Packs' drop off in form.

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Just goes to show how important he is to the team. It may be that we need 'THAT' sort of player to keep us ticking, bit like how Wade used to. It's no coincidence that our recent poor run has coincided with Packs' drop off in form.

Exactly, CM is such an important area of the pitch, it's like the main cog in an engine. Our squad is very light in that position first team wise and we've only added Brownhill to it in at least 3 years, it's no surprise we're struggling there at the moment. (I'd love to but can't consider Walsh as he's doesn't seem in contention for the first team at the moment).

14 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

All posts after games are reactionary, but I honestly don’t see what we are doing and what are game plan is. We have been awful for the last few weeks, and as a fan I’m totally confused about what our manager is instructing  my team to do on the pitch for 90 minutes!.

I seriously am finding it hard to get excited about watching us, I get the fact that we played neat football v West Brom, but we conceded 4 goals, so we had to be less adventurous. 

But LJ seems incapable of finding that middle ground, where the players are allowed to express themselves whilst also making sure we aren’t a soft touch when teams attack us. 

This is now the third season of total inconsistency on the pitch, I personally think that a football manager being paid a small fortune should be capable of addressing this.

Completely agree. Our inconsistency is infuriating. I wouldn’t lose any sleep if LJ left because he has constantly failed to bring about any consistency in our performances, and that is poor management.

But to say we are heading for a relegation battle and there is “no doubt about it” - which is what I was responding to - is a ridiculously OTT statement. If we’d taken some of our early chances today we could be sat in a play off spot. Fine lines.

36 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

They clearly decided to sit in during the first half. That’s the only reason we had the majority of possession.

Believe it or not some teams actually do do that. Yes they misplaced passes, but who doesn’t. 

Why do you think there most creative player was held back until the 2nd half? It’s called tactical decisions, and it worked a treat for them.

They had no intent to get forward really, happy to hit the ball long, kick it out of play, or anywhere forward, just frustrate and defend and it worked for them. Our best chance fell to Famara from a deflection, but he thought he was offside, instead of just smashing the ball in the net and worrying about the whistle later, he lost that valuable second and just messed up. Going into half time they obviously thought we offered little, and were told to be safe but more adventurous if the chances came. 

Both their goals were poor to concede, Niki made a couple of good saves as well. BTW how one footed is Joao ? Thought he had missed his chance when he did not shoot prior to his second and he decided to run into our defence across the edge of the box instead... of course we let him get some space and the shot of though somehow, it's not like he is quick so god knows how he managed to get that yard of space.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Get a grip.

It’s you who needs to wake up smell the coffee, we are not good enough and it’s down to the manager who has not addressed the obvious problems.

Paterson weakens the team and is not good enough but LJ loves him, Diedhiou is as weak as piss water and spends too much time on his arse, Pack, Smith and Brownhill in any combination are not consistent enough and that is the engine room of the team, when they are not up to it we are easy to play against.

LJ has had 3 years to address an obvious problem and not only has he failed to rectify it but has incredibly failed to even recognise it and that is a worry.

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

"Reactionary" - haha. We've been dire for four games and couldn't score in a brothel. We started the season well but we're very much on the slide. LJ, as is often the case during these bad runs, looks lost for ideas.

What about the four wins in a row that came before it? Why is it guaranteed that the poor form over the last 4 games will continue for the rest of the season, but the mid-table form over the whole 12 games won’t?

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

It’s you who needs to wake up smell the coffee, we are not good enough and it’s down to the manager who has not addressed the obvious problems.

Paterson weakens the team and is not good enough but LJ loves him, Diedhiou is as weak as piss water and spends too much time on his arse, Pack, Smith and Brownhill in any combination are not consistent enough and that is the engine room of the team, when they are not up to it we are easy to play against.

LJ has had 3 years to address an obvious problem and not only has he failed to rectify it but has incredibly failed to even recognise it and that is a worry.

I’m not pretending there aren’t problems.

But when you say “not good enough”, not good enough for what? Survival? Most of us predicted a mid-table season and that’s exactly what we’re getting.

I’m not even defending LJ. His inability to get the team performing with any degree of consistency is his greatest failing. I’d happily see McCarthy (for example) come in and replace him.

11 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Completely agree. Our inconsistency is infuriating. I wouldn’t lose any sleep if LJ left because he has constantly failed to bring about any consistency in our performances, and that is poor management.

But to say we are heading for a relegation battle and there is “no doubt about it” - which is what I was responding to - is a ridiculously OTT statement. If we’d taken some of our early chances today we could be sat in a play off spot. Fine lines.

but we didn't, and were not.

Frustrating game, but hardly surprising we are struggling to score as we not exactly packed with regular goal scorers. Not sure about bigging up Da Silva, first half passed him by totally, improved once Kelly went off and he was in his natural position. Couple of decent crosses, but hardly a MOM display. 

Archived