Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

barrington

Warnock

No definitely not. I would not pay to watch his anti-football every week, it is shocking and Cardiff’s attendances in their promotion year tell you all you need to know.

• Like 9

Although I assume the OP is on a fishing trip...

What you have to remember is that Warnock is not a guarantee of success, even with his record to date. In fact, if you appoint someone whose footballing philosophy is so opposed to the clubs, it’s more likely it’ll end in failure than not.

Don’t believe me?

Theres a manager who has succeeded at every club he’s managed bar one. Every other club he managed were prepared to accept his philosophy of signing established pros on big money and playing physically. Although this one club did go along with it for a while, the fans drifted away, the results were poor, performance dire and it landed them with a load of players to sell at a loss when he left.

The manager is Pulis. The team is Bristol City. You don’t need a degree to see the parallels.

• Like 10

We are not guaranteed to go up with Warnock. Not even guaranteed to get in the playoffs. What we are guaranteed to do is play a terrible style of football and not give youth a chance. Everything Johnson and the club are building will be destroyed with that man in charge.

• Like 4

No way. I hate his anti-football. Why are even talking about him?

Eddie Howe - now there's a manager I admire who I'd love to see here if he became available.

Edited by LilRascal
  • Like 2

My opinion about Warnockis that always he potect his team and work for his team. His way of play, never mind, but he is a strong manager. Old school, yes, but he can his work. Tha ball is still a ball, and he gets his teams to play more wins than losses. Ok , now Cardiff is pl and probably will be relegated, but his history is strong. Dont want him as Citymanager, but I respect him.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Theres a manager who has succeeded at every club he’s managed bar one. Every other club he managed were prepared to accept his philosophy of signing established pros on big money and playing physically. Although this one club did go along with it for a while, the fans drifted away, the results were poor, performance dire and it landed them with a load of players to sell at a loss when he left.

The manager is Pulis. The team is Bristol City. You don’t need a degree to see the parallels.

I thought you were referring to Steve Bruce.

The man plays shit football. 

Shit football that isn’t as shit as our recent performances, but nowhere near as good as when we play well. 

So I’m undecided here. 

• Like 1

Probably not but in saying that i’ve barely seen City play a decent game all year, i’ve Seen some truly awful performances on the road, watching a Warnock team could not be any worse 

• Like 2

Absolutely not.

For starters, I doubt Lansdown would ever have him. If you spend millions on prepping a team towards possession-based football, only to throw it away by bringing in Colin, then you're a ******* moron.

Secondly, a lot of people on here about promotion being the ultimate goal. There are many managers capable of getting promoted, but few that are capable of keeping a side in the Premier League. If I had a choice between promotion and getting buggered every week while playing boring football, or slowly working our way up with attractive football, I'd choose the latter every time. Promotion is a symptom of being the best team we can be.

Finally...it's Colin. I'll never understand Bristol City fans that would accept a man like him in the hot seat.

• Like 1

A few years ago it would have been “yes” from me. Now, although I don’t believe someone is a football dinosaur just because they are old, I think his time has gone. Cardiff will be his last club 

At first I thought the idea, the thread title- that it was @bristolcitysweden having started early. :P

On a serious note- Warnock? Too old tbh. Wrong style of football- his QPR and his Sheffield United weren't terrible to watch but that was a while ago- especially the former!

Too old, his football style has got worse and worse. Don't know if he much likes us either- our fans certainly don't much like him!

@Silvio Dante Ah Pulis- what a happy day it was when he left- my first half season was Benny relegation and the first full (as it turned out near enough half season) was that nice Mr Pulis- what a start to life as a City fan eh!

@bengalcub Unsure Cardiff are/were that fussed about staying up tbh.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Yes please. Forget his panto persona. Players love him and he’s got a track record of promotion that’s second to none.

If we’re serious about promotion, he’d be a no brainer IMO.

Trouble is can’t see SL going for him which would mean a change to the strategy and how many more years is he going to carry on for anyway? Probably unrealistic.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, barrington said:

IF he became available would you have him in charge? Knows this league like the back of his hand and gets out of it 

Difficult one, in one hand we would have a great chance of going up, but on the other hand, it’s not a sustainable approach as we will go straight back down with him in charge.  I’ve got no beef with him, people get to worked up these days about what he says, it’s all pantomime villain really, oh know it’s not etc 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spudski said:

If he was ever our manager I'd stop going.

Under our structure thankfully he'd never be appointed 

Plus I'd rather watch a team play football in this league and be entertained...over watching Warnock's anti football any day of the week. Why would you want to watch a team playing his style is beyond me.

This. Warnock & Holloway are simply 2 people that I couldn’t support. 

Thankfully SL feels the same way and hasn’t/won’t risk the structure of the club, in exchange for a possible short term jump to the premier league, which would inevitably lead to problems down the line, if it’s not done properly or sustainably in the first place. 

I could be wrong, maybe Warnock would take us up, keep us up and push us on to European qualification, after establishing us in the top flight for a few years. You know, like he’s done at how many clubs before...?! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Not being ageists, he will be 70 this year and unlikely to remain awake during evening games! 😴

He’s 69...? Why hadn’t he mentioned that before..?! 

Not bothered too much about going up and getting slapped 3 or 4 times every 5 games. Good league is the Championship with lots of decent sized clubs who we can compete with when we get tactics and selection right.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, barrington said:

IF he became available would you have him in charge? Knows this league like the back of his hand and gets out of it 

Your avatar appears to be a head made of shit eg: a shithead.

You aren't a rascal from the other lot who has been lurking about here for almost a decade are you ?

Genuine question mind.

3 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Would i swap lj for Warnock,  yes without a doubt get us to the prem them fire him just like Cardiff should off if they wanted any chance of staying up ....

Aaaaaarghhhhh these sort of comments do my head in...with respect do you actually believe running a football club works like this?

Warnock buys in the type of players that work for his style of play.

He gives them contracts and the club have to pay those players for the length of the contract.

So by your theory...Warnock comes in...has all our players on contracts that wouldn't suit his style of play. So over time, he has to move them on, then find his own players. How many windows would it take for that? If he then got promoted with those players to the Prem, you expect Warnock to be sacked, a new manager found, Warnock's players to be sold and new one's found all in a summer window! Then for them all to gel and stay up playing football in that first season? Really?

Managers and players, budgets, contracts etc, etc...it's not a shopping list and auction site this business.

If only it were that simple...this is why the club, owner and manager must get so frustrated with certain parts of our fan base.

No disrespect mate...but it's hard to read comments sometimes.

• Like 4

I had a peek on his Wiki page to see whether the myth of "Warnock will get you promoted" has any truth in it.

Assuming all true, I was more interested in this: "Warnock has been a lifelong supporter of Sheffield United. He is married to Sharon and has five children, James, Natalie, Amy, Cosmo and William.[82] As of 2010, he lived in Richmond, London[83] and had a home in Cornwall.[84]"

What were Mr and Mrs Warnock stuffing in the crack pipe when they came to pick a name for sprog #4?

• Like 1

A success no doubt but I couldn't stomach the football ( it's bad enough as it is). I always used to just focus on the result, nothing else mattered but it's changed. I want to be entertained. If we would have nicked it Wednesday night while I'd be happy with three points I'd still be downbeat over the performance.  I was much more entertained and enjoyed the spectacle against WBA than Rotherham. Even though we lost. 

Yes.  I would walk over the bridge and carry him back if we had a vacancy (that we won't) !

We would be promoted. End of. 

Others on this thread have commented on his  sh1te football, but sadly SOME of ours has been totally the same this season (like Rotherham  & Wigan.) and its not a bed of roses.

That said it will never happen as we would not buy short term players to achieve a goal 

Aware he is the pantomime villain here but I always respected him for what he has achieved and his behaviour after we beat Palace in that play off  semi-final.    

Edited by DT The Optimist
  • Like 1

Got laugh at some on here who think you only have to appoint Colin to get promoted - can't understand why all the other owners of championships clubs are not chucking fistfull of dollars at Tan for his services and the guaranteed promotion windfall of cash just waiting for them, bloody easy this running a football club.

On the choice between Tiny penis, Colin & Hollowhead, need to have another option of the cabbage added as it knows more about playing attractive entertaining football than the 3 of them put together

6 hours ago, spudski said:

If he was ever our manager I'd stop going.

Under our structure thankfully he'd never be appointed 

Plus I'd rather watch a team play football in this league and be entertained...over watching Warnock's anti football any day of the week. Why would you want to watch a team playing his style is beyond me.

While under our current boss we play bright expansive football! Take the blinkers off!

• Like 2