IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday (H) - Sunday 13:30 - What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

No idea.  I’m away this weekend, so a quicker review.

6EC164A3-B7DE-43A1-8509-5A3FBEBDCFD5.jpeg.264dde5ffa709e5929c485bc65e42e49.jpeg

So the Sheffield clubs play 3 at the back, although this is a recent change, and resulted in 1 win and 2 draws, but after a shaky start to the season, they’ve only lost one in eight league games.

So will LJ go 352/3412 on Sunday?

It might be the opportunity to play a true 3 man midfield, and possibly see the introduction of either Walsh or Hegeler, or even both?  Might make his team selection easier.

Notable Players (not calling them dangerman @reddogkev)

Nuhiu - big lump up top

Forestieri - small, very good player, clever on and off the ball, strong too

Reach - Mr Long Shot, looks to have a free role having moved off the wing

Onomah - Spurs kid (I think) on loan at Villa last season

Hector - ex-Reading / Hull...guessing he’s now about 47 but still on loan from Chelsea? ?

Joäo - Portugese forward in the Welbeck mould

Fletcher - been a round a bit but knows where the goal is from headers

Bannan - much loved on OTIB - carrying a knock but might be fit

How do we win?

Dont play like we did against Wigan and Rotherham.  Don’t defend like we did against West Brom.  Pass the ball, move to receive it.  Move again.

Condense this one @Grey Fox ?

This was the draft version 0.1 for this week.

Draft version 0.2 was gonna be about City, but I thought Wednesday’s game v Rotherham might have clouded my view of the season overall.

So I went with the usual, If somewhat briefer version / format.

Depends what Jos prefers but I reckon we could easily go 442. Bannan will be back from suspension so might see Onomah dropped. Also Marco Matias (if fit) and Fletcher could probably start as Forestieri can be confusing to play in a 442. Even though he's our best player and a bit of a genius. Then again I could be completely wrong, we don't really have a set formation, tactic or gameplan. Our strength and weakness is probably in our versatility. 

Or.... maybe we'll start Joao!!!, he looked unplayable last month but has gone cold now. Luckily you won't face Hooper and Winnall is injured and Rhodes out on loan. We definitely have too many forwards for our own good. It's probably been counter effective. Who knows! It probably goes one way to explaining how we sometimes go from world beaters to looking like we've ever played with each other considering its probably a fact that the players playing probably haven't played with each other before!

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

So the Sheffield clubs play 3 at the back, although this is a recent change, and resulted in 1 win and 2 draws, but after a shaky start to the season, they’ve only lost one in eight league games.

It might be the opportunity to play a true 3 man midfield, and possibly see the introduction of either Walsh or Hegeler, or even both?  Might make his team selection easier.

Nuhiu - big lump up top

Hector - ex-Reading / Hull...guessing he’s now about 47 but still on loan from Chelsea? ?

How do we win?

Dont play like we did against Wigan and Rotherham.  Don’t defend like we did against West Brom.  Pass the ball, move to receive it.  Move again.

Bannan’s back from suspension for this one.

Matias is a tricky winger and is good on his day, Tom Lees is a fine defender in this division as well. Kieren Westwood who for my money is the best keeper in the division is inexplicably number 3 for Wednesday atm which is pissing their fans off.

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This was the draft version 0.1 for this week.

Draft version 0.2 was gonna be about City, but I thought Wednesday’s game v Rotherham might have clouded my view of the season overall.

So I went with the usual, If somewhat briefer version / format.

Beat me to my post. I think the big question is what City will turn up and what we expect from them.

Vs WBA free flowing threatening , Blackburn clinical, Wigan poor, Rotherham can't pass a ball - shocking.

I hope we see passes that find their man, or have the general direction of a player in Red, that would be an improvement from Rotherham.

52 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Beat me to my post. I think the big question is what City will turn up and what we expect from them.

Vs WBA free flowing threatening , Blackburn clinical, Wigan poor, Rotherham can't pass a ball - shocking.

I hope we see passes that find their man, or have the general direction of a player in Red, that would be an improvement from Rotherham.

Will the real slim shady please stand up!

Generally I’m positive about the start to the season, I thought we’d start slower and grow into it.  We are in a decent position really, but I just don’t understand where the Wigan and Rotherham performances came from.

Will be an interesting watch tomorrow night when I get home from a weekend away.

If you think City are a roller-coaster, the Flyers steadily gained a 25 point lead last night over Worcester Wolves, and it was still 22 points ahead with 5:58 to go in the game.  Into the final 0:52 and they level up 77-77.  We miss a 3 pointer with 33 seconds to go, they rebound it, but their guy steps out of bounds. We get it back, sink the 3, they miss theirs and we win.  Mental!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Generally I’m positive about the start to the season, I thought we’d start slower and grow into it.  We are in a decent position really, but I just don’t understand where the Wigan and Rotherham performances came from.

That's the thing, even with the new players coming in I wonder about the teams backbone. After horrendous rune over the last two years I worry that there is a fragility in the team still, a lack of confidence which started to show in the two games. The passing was slower, we got caught in possession more often and players are generally slower to show for the ball. Contrast that with the attacking play against WBA, some of the best of the season.

LJ must surely introduce Walsh soon, a 3 man midfield would be my choice but he is very set in his ways (Sheff Utd apart, and that was because he was worried about them). More so than almost any time since I started going to the Gate , you turn up really not knowing what to expect.

Lets hope you're looking forward to watching the game when you get back. :fingerscrossed:

On 05/10/2018 at 13:53, Davefevs said:

Nuhiu - big lump up top

How do we win?

Bunch of mid week male strippers, whats the problem?

A dominant home performance, and a bit of tactical astuteness is what I’m hoping for.

im ok with the points we have accumulated so far this season but far from happy with performances

Every week we seem to highlight the strength of the opposition and the reasons why a win is unlikely, shef Utd on a good run, wba just down from the prem, Wigan and Rotherham good at home.

i appreciate that it’s a hard league but we have a talented squad and we should be expecting to win at home against fellow mid table opposition 

even if we don’t win, a full hearted performance where as the home team we force the pace and play this quick passing, high press game. I’m told is our DNA but very rarely raises its head

just give us a performance and something to build on, a few signs our in game management is improving and something different to 2 subs on 60 minutes.

7 hours ago, General Zod said:

A dominant home performance, and a bit of tactical astuteness is what I’m hoping for.

im ok with the points we have accumulated so far this season but far from happy with performances

Every week we seem to highlight the strength of the opposition and the reasons why a win is unlikely, shef Utd on a good run, wba just down from the prem, Wigan and Rotherham good at home.

i appreciate that it’s a hard league but we have a talented squad and we should be expecting to win at home against fellow mid table opposition 

even if we don’t win, a full hearted performance where as the home team we force the pace and play this quick passing, high press game. I’m told is our DNA but very rarely raises its head

just give us a performance and something to build on, a few signs our in game management is improving and something different to 2 subs on 60 minutes.

This thread each game typically includes a “how do we win” section....see OP.  The reason I go into a bit of depth about the opposition (this weekend I was away so had less prep time) is to highlight that it is a tough league, allow some OTIBers to have a better knowledge of the opposition and move them away from from thinking we will win / lose purely based on club size and / or league position.  I know you get that from your posts.  Some don’t!

We can’t however, expect to just turn up...but we do at least have to turn up ?

Archived