IGNORED

Championship mediocrity or League 1 success ?

Major Isewater

Championship mediocrity or League 1 bosses ?  

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me the harder question would have been ‘Premier league getting thrashed every week or huge team in the Championship?’.

I found the thought of playing in League One hugely depressing when it looked like we were heading back there. Yes Sunderland away was a great weekend, but Burton was horrible for example. We must stay a Championship team for a few years now, flirt with the top maybe but don’t get sucked in again at the bottom.

It’s harder that you think to get promoted from League One once all your players have jumped ship and you have to rebuild. Yes we are now a team that can attract players to get us promoted from there, which we realised we had to do. But I really don’t fancy that rebuild again. That said I don’t know how convinced I am about our current Championship rebuild, maybe when we have Eisa and Hakeeb back, and some other returnees I can judge the full picture.

I don’t see us as being mediocre in the Championship either.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

For me the harder question would have been ‘Premier league getting thrashed every week or huge team in the Championship?’.

Hallyink on Twitter asked this exact question last week. Interesting responses on the thread below.

Personally, I think I would prefer the Prem. However, I am tainted as an armchair exile who currently can’t afford travel and tickets to games due to having three young kids! If I was going every week, rather than watching on Red Button or listening to radio, the answer may be different.

I think losing in the PO’s, or even the final, time after time must be soul destroying, more so than languishing around the bottom of the Prem, without ever dropping, year after year. Who is the most unsuccessful team, at a guess someone like Derby who always seem to be there without achieving lately? 

I did like the glamour and excitement of the Manchester teams last season, of course I did but at the same time it made me realise how huge the Premiership is. But that said ManU were beatable, and these two clubs are of course are part of the elite bunch. When I see more ‘normal’ teams up there I do think it is achievable for us, and I do question why the hell we have never achieved it. 

For me it's about the standard of football we play in. The Championship is a class above the Lower leagues and  the teams that survive down there. The Championship has a much better match day experience,better crowds ,larger away following  adding to the atmosphere ,  better teams , bigger clubs and ex Prem teams and players . The standard down in league one is nowhere near comparison. One man and his dog or did they come in a taxi away support. Who would rather watch Accrington Stanley in front of a 10,000 crowd  rather than West Brom or A.Villa in front of a 20,000 + crowd ? Winning is not everthing when the quality is not there. The lower crowds also mean Lower income for the club and that would also impact on the type of player/quality and budget we have to work under. The Gap is getting wider with every season that passes from a financial position.  I have supported City in all four divisions and I can say without a doubt that outside the Top divsion the Championship is the lowest standard of football our club should be achieving.

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Which would you guys prefer on hindsight, Championship mediocrity or playing in League 1 where we are bigger fish and win more often ? 

I chose Championship mediocrity. If you’re a mediocre Championship side then you’re only ever an extra 15ish points away from the play offs and the potential for promotion to the Premier League, which has to be the ambition for us.

I also don’t think “mediocre” is a particularly appropriate term for us. Right now we might consider ourselves an average Championship team, but that in itself is progress - we were below average in our first couple of seasons here, and it’s only 3 years since we were in L1. The trend has been undeniably upward for nearly 5 years now. I think “mediocre” is best used to describe teams who have spent years on end in the Championship going nowhere. That’s not us...and hopefully that’s not what we’ll become.

8 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

where we are bigger fish and win more often ? 

OK here's City's all time stats. We win more than lose when in the lower two divisions, but I don't want to be there.

2nd tier (by whichever name it had at the time); P 2119 - W 738 - D 556 - L 825 - F 2,799 - A 3,022 - Pts 2,254. Next goal is a "milestone"

3rd tier (by whichever name it had at the time); P 2,010 - W 879 - D 517 - L 614 - F 3,199 - A 2,586 - Pts 2,680. Damn! In the 2015 promo season, the Ref disallowed a legitimate goal v Orient at the Atyeo Stand end.

Just for interest's sake;

Division 1; P 358 - W 114 - D 94 - L 151 - F 414 - A 498 - Pts 314

Division 4; P 92 - W 37 - D 27 - L 28 - F 129 - A 114 - Pts 138.

Overall League record; P 4,579 - W 1,768 - D 1,194 - L 1,617 - F 6,555 - A 6,232 - Pts 5,394. Six more points for a "milestone".

5 minutes ago, 22A said:

OK here's City's all time stats. We win more than lose when in the lower two divisions, but I don't want to be there.

2nd tier (by whichever name it had at the time); P 2119 - W 738 - D 556 - L 825 - F 2,799 - A 3,022 - Pts 2,254. Next goal is a "milestone"

3rd tier (by whichever name it had at the time); P 2,010 - W 879 - D 517 - L 614 - F 3,199 - A 2,586 - Pts 2,680. Damn! In the 2015 promo season, the Ref disallowed a legitimate goal v Orient at the Atyeo Stand end.

Just for interest's sake;

Division 1; P 358 - W 114 - D 94 - L 151 - F 414 - A 498 - Pts 314

Division 4; P 92 - W 37 - D 27 - L 28 - F 129 - A 114 - Pts 138.

Overall League record; P 4,579 - W 1,768 - D 1,194 - L 1,617 - F 6,555 - A 6,232 - Pts 5,394. Six more points for a "milestone".

Thanks .

Interestingly we have won more than we've lost in our history. Whod'a thunk it ? 

We are Bristol City FFS why would anyone want to be in the third tier with clubs like Rochdale (no disrespect intended to great little club). We have a 27000 modern stadium and gates of 20000 plus despite not being in the top tier for nearly 40 years. We are a club that deserve our place in the Championship and we are growing. Championship for me , leave the lower leagues to the Gas.

5 hours ago, fatchers said:

For me it's about the standard of football we play in. The Championship is a class above the Lower leagues and  the teams that survive down there. The Championship has a much better match day experience,better crowds ,larger away following  adding to the atmosphere ,  better teams , bigger clubs and ex Prem teams and players . The standard down in league one is nowhere near comparison. One man and his dog or did they come in a taxi away support. Who would rather watch Accrington Stanley in front of a 10,000 crowd  rather than West Brom or A.Villa in front of a 20,000 + crowd ? Winning is not everthing when the quality is not there. The lower crowds also mean Lower income for the club and that would also impact on the type of player/quality and budget we have to work under. The Gap is getting wider with every season that passes from a financial position.  I have supported City in all four divisions and I can say without a doubt that outside the Top divsion the Championship is the lowest standard of football our club should be achieving.

amazingly if Accrington carry on as they are they could be in the championship next season, how mad is that!

I love being in the Championship. It’s a great league - very competitive with unpredictable games. As others have said, we’ve had our fair share of League 1 and going back to average gates of 10-12,000 would be depressing after our upturn in attendances over the last few seasons.

25 minutes ago, Offside said:

I love being in the Championship. It’s a great league - very competitive with unpredictable games. As others have said, we’ve had our fair share of League 1 and going back to average gates of 10-12,000 would be depressing after our upturn in attendances over the last few seasons.

I agree - championship all the way. Interesting to know if people really think we'd drop down to 10-12k crowds if we were in League 1. I don't think we would given where our crowds are now. I think an average (top half no promotion) season season in League 1 we'd be looking at 15-16k these days.

41 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Mediocrity is a judgemental negative term anyway.

Average Championship side doesn’t sound nearly as bad, does it?

Word History: Belying the very meaning of the word, the adjective mediocre has a remarkable and unexpected etymology. Mediocre ultimately comes from Latin mediocris, which meant “middling, ordinary, unremarkable.” ... Mediocris is a compound of the adjective medius, “half” or “in the middle,” and ocris, “rugged mountain.”

Archived