can someone please tell me how good is  Liam Walsh. we paid a million for him and he has hardly had any game time. all I hear he is for the future. the future might not be with us he could run his contract down and move on. how long is his contract does anyone know. surely the lad deserves a chance. he could have played some of the game against Rotherham. put Josh right midfield and give Liam a go. we could have a real gem but if he gets no game time we won't know. but hay  but what do I know. nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

can someone please tell me how good is  Liam Walsh. we paid a million for him and he has hardly had any game time. all I hear he is for the future. the future might not be with us he could run his contract down and move on. how long is his contract does anyone know. surely the lad deserves a chance. he could have played some of the game against Rotherham. put Josh right midfield and give Liam a go. we could have a real gem but if he gets no game time we won't know. but hay  but what do I know. nothing. 

When you say 'we' won't know, do you not think that maybe watching him in training everyday LJ does know?

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

fair point about lee watching him training. i would then ask why did we spend a million on him.

Unfortunately, a million is nothing at our level nowadays, and we have spent a lot more on players who have proven massive duds so time still on his side I think.

10 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Here's a few question marks for you, as you've obviously run out.

? ? ? ? ?

• Haha 7
5 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

fair point about lee watching him training. i would then ask why did we spend a million on him.

very fair comment, people will come on here and say a million isn't much, not quite sure what planet a million isn't much but there you are.

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

very fair comment, people will come on here and say a million isn't much, not quite sure what planet a million isn't much but there you are.

In football in the championship. A million pound doesn’t get you much. Of course a million pound is a lot of money. But not in football.

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

In football in the championship. A million pound doesn’t get you much. Of course a million pound is a lot of money. But not in football.

highlights how far from reality teams in the top two divisions have become, ridiculous imo but can't see it changing anytime soon unfortunately.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, pillred said:

highlights how far from reality teams in the top two divisions have become, ridiculous imo but can't see it changing anytime soon unfortunately.

Totally agree. But unfortunately that’s the way it is . Just 2 weeks wages for A Sanchez at Man United. Wow

He’s 21, contract runs out in 2020, so got this season and next. 

At some point LJ needs to give him a go. Sink or swim. 

I really would like to see us play an extra man in midfield. We are very dependent on Pack making us play. His two worst games led to inept performances. We need others to influence and I think an extra player in there would help. It could be a flat 3 or a 1-2 or a 2-1. 

• Like 7

I may be wrong, but I recall Johnson saying that he was not one for the future but was ready now, or words to that effect.

Everton rated him highly as did a lot of their fans. Consequently, I found and watched a video of all his U23 matches. He looked absolutely outstanding in central midfield, great passer of the ball, a real livewire running the game and scored goals. I know it was only U23 level but that is the best those not involved can expect these days.

If Walsh knew how he was going to be treated, I can't imagine he would have dreamt of signing for us. I bet the same goes for da Silva.

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Totally agree. But unfortunately that’s the way it is . Just 2 weeks wages for A Sanchez at Man United. Wow

But a world in which we sold Freeman for £350K!

Now rumoured to be wanted by Boro. How much for, I wonder?

Probably a case that he is too close to the first team to be able to go out on loan, but only currently ready to compete for a place on the bench.

Who knows, it's a long season and with squad rotation, injuries and suspensions he'll get an opportunity at some point. Just hope he is able to take it.

Firstly, I think he needs to bulk himself up a little bit, upper body strength is vital playing CM. Joe and Bobby came on the scene and had the same problem to start with but they soon worked on their bodies and both look in great shape.

It gives you a spring in your step, you become lighter on your feet and obviously physically stronger. For Walsh to be successful, I think this would be a start.

40 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

A million pounds to Rovers is a lottery ticket with 6 winning numbers. 

But these things take time..!

41 minutes ago, jayjay said:

I may be wrong, but I recall Johnson saying that he was not one for the future but was ready now, or words to that effect.

Everton rated him highly as did a lot of their fans. Consequently, I found and watched a video of all his U23 matches. He looked absolutely outstanding in central midfield, great passer of the ball, a real livewire running the game and scored goals. I know it was only U23 level but that is the best those not involved can expect these days.

If Walsh knew how he was going to be treated, I can't imagine he would have dreamt of signing for us. I bet the same goes for da Silva.

Yeah - “ready to compete....blah.....but we’ve got Korey and Marlon....etc”.

Tomorrow???????

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s 21, contract runs out in 2020, so got this season and next. 

At some point LJ needs to give him a go. Sink or swim. 

I really would like to see us play an extra man in midfield. We are very dependent on Pack making us play. His two worst games led to inept performances. We need others to influence and I think an extra player in there would help. It could be a flat 3 or a 1-2 or a 2-1. 

Good reply Dave.

Three in midfield is the only way Walsh will get a start. It’s just a question of whether LJ will decide to do that. It would mean leaving either CoD or Eliasson on the bench to accommodate him but it must be clear to the coaches and LJ that a two man midfield is too often outnumbered.

Possibly a 4-3-3 or a 3-5-2......

20 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Probably a case that he is too close to the first team to be able to go out on loan, but only currently ready to compete for a place on the bench.

Who knows, it's a long season and with squad rotation, injuries and suspensions he'll get an opportunity at some point. Just hope he is able to take it.

Any young player ideally needs to be eased into a confident, fairly settled team, not thrown in due to injury or suspension to a struggling team and then expected to make a positive difference.

When Walsh is given his chance LJ and the fans will need to be supportive and patient and form any judgement on a series of games, not just one, or even part of one.

For now he should at least be given a regular 20 minutes so that when a mini crisis occurs and he gets his chance - it doesn't look like it will be for any other reason - there is some cohesion and understanding between him and his team mates, and his confidence is up.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

Johnson has form with regard to this sort of thing. It doesn't matter what was spent, he seems to decide once they have signed if they are any good. Engvall springs to mind. Never got a chance.