IGNORED

Away support in the Championship and what we are up against

Bristol Oil Services

Wigan took 3,800 to Preston today. A round trip of 36 miles. 

Blackburn took 2400 to Bolton, 14 miles away (on TV I think, so probably lower than normal).

When Bolton play Wigan, it is 11 miles to travel.

When Bolton go to Sheffield (53 miles) or Wigan go to Sheffield (62) they'll be packing an overnight bag. Same for their trips to Rotherham, Leeds and Stoke. 

Imagine if we had more than a third of our away days being shorter trips than Reading?

The trouble is, when you look at teams around us....sags, Cheltenham, forest green, Swindon, Oxford, Yeovil, Exeter, Newport even if they were playing in the same division, most have shit little grounds with minimal away capacity. 

The downfalls of not being in a historical hotbed of football

3 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

it is what it is, we can't really change our geographical position, can we. Far more teams worse off than us in terms of distances to travel. 

Factual, and to the point: a 'good' post, by any standards.

12 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Wigan took 3,800 to Preston today. A round trip of 36 miles. 

Blackburn took 2400 to Bolton, 14 miles away (on TV I think, so probably lower than normal).

When Bolton play Wigan, it is 11 miles to travel.

When Bolton go to Sheffield (53 miles) or Wigan go to Sheffield (62) they'll be packing an overnight bag. Same for their trips to Rotherham, Leeds and Stoke. 

Imagine if we had more than a third of our away days being shorter trips than Reading?

It’s a fair point. Our “local” within 100-130 miles away support is very good. Anything over that and it’s pretty poor, apart from big occasion games. 

What other teams could possibly improve this for us in the near future..? Cardiff in place of Middlesbrough. Fulham coming back down. 

Thats about it really. The likes of Plymouth, Rovers, Exeter, Newport, Cheltenham, Swindon, Oxford, Wycombe etc are more likely to be the visiting team in the new Flyers arena, than regular championship opposition! 

1 hour ago, poland_exile said:

it is what it is, we can't really change our geographical position, can we. Far more teams worse off than us in terms of distances to travel. 

Partly true, it is what it is.

59 minutes ago, ... said:

Factual, and to the point: a 'good' post, by any standards.

And yet there aren't "far more teams worse off than us". According to the Statzone only 4 teams travel further, average wise. I do agree we just have to suck it up as there's nothing we can do about distances .

Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 10.37.30.png

There isn't anything we can do about distances but we could have better subsidised travel for the longer distances. The people that travel will always travel but it may encourage a few others to go if it was cheaper to get there and back. Also for me living in Weston if I rely on coach travel coming back from some of the away games I don't make my last train back from Bristol if it's the evening away ones. Can get really expensive then.

42 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

And yet there aren't "far more teams worse off than us". According to the Statzone only 4 teams travel further, average wise. I do agree we just have to suck it up as there's nothing we can do about distances .

How is it 314 miles from Bristol to Norwich, but only 279 miles from Norwich to Swansea..?! 

26 minutes ago, Gifford said:

I'd interested to see if away attendances have any affect on team performance. 

How would you determine that..?!

I’ve seen us win away with a few hundred there and be stuffed when we’ve taken thousands. Ive also seen us win in front of thousands and seen us stuffed in front of a few hundred. 

It doesn’t directly impact performance, is just better to hear supportive voices than derogatory ones. 

52 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

and the lesson is....

Swansea, go and play in your own country's league  

and the same for the other 2 pointer, 20th 20th 20th 20th lot

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Must be a 800 mile round trip when they play each other.

If either club gave a **** about their carbon footprint, they would play all joint fixtures at the half way point. They could then sell their respective grounds for affordable housing, and buy a stake holding in Port Vale's ground.

If anyone running either club had any formal training in business management, then they would have done this years ago.

Morons.

17 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

How is it 314 miles from Bristol to Norwich, but only 279 miles from Norwich to Swansea..?! 

Neither number right according to google maps (albeit I just put the place rather than the stadium)

Bristol-Norwich 240 miles

Swansea-Norwich 309 miles.

Stadium to stadium it is 244 and 313 miles respectively.

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

The OP says in the Championship, and makes a good point.

True, I missed that, but I'm still baffled by the post - the make-up of the Championship changes from season to season: one year we might have Cardiff, Swindon, the Brum clubs, Pymouth, the Gas (shudder), the next we might have Newcastle, Sunderland, Carlisle, etc. Short of campaigning for regional leagues, I can't see what can be done. Pretty much all teams apart from those in London or the Midlands have been hard done by at times.

If there is a cause of complaint, then let that be being sent to far-flung places for evening matches or over holiday periods, etc, or having matches rescheduled for ridiculous times due to TV or police interference. 

21 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

I seriously think Leeds will go up this season......and we'll get Cardiff as their replacement.

Idk they don’t have much depth. I’ll have to wait and see them in January and Feb. They remind me a bit of us last season. Roofe a kind of converted striker playing well(injured as of late) a high pressing team and they rely quite heavily on their first XI. A lot of plaudits said we were a promotion side when they saw us first half of the season. We just weren’t Leeds so never got as much coverage nationally

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

One club in a big city with supporters from all over the country, that’s the reasons why they get those sort of numbers. 

They have plenty of ‘big-ish’ clubs around them in Yorkshire that will no doubt take some of the floating fans.

We by comparison, don’t really have anyone to compete with for the floating supporters.

Archived