IGNORED

Women a security risk? Sexism at the gate?

AshtonPark

2 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

One for @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO Here.

I have just seen a young lad being chased down for not opening his coat at the turnstiles for the dolman. 

It turns out women do not need to unzip jackets. 

Can you please explain why men are a security risk compared to women please? Obvious sexism happening there.  

Oh no. Not this again!!

just go in to Dolman at south stand end. No coat checking there, as always, as every season!

you’re only a criminal if you enter the Dolman via the Atyeo End of the ground!!!

11 minutes ago, littlered said:

I've always had to open my jacket if I'm wearing a big one. Was it a thin/tight jacket? I have to say I haven't ever seen any disparity in the way they treat women v men at the gate.

I spoke to a steward and asked why they don’t  ask women, he replied “I don’t know, but we don’t ask them”

2 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

One for @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO Here.

I have just seen a young lad being chased down for not opening his coat at the turnstiles for the dolman. 

It turns out women do not need to unzip jackets. 

Can you please explain why men are a security risk compared to women please? Obvious sexism happening there.  

I've always been asked to unzip my jacket and I'm a girlie 

@nickolas

Let's see- could be argued that the open coat policy in these dangerous times is valid and more commonplace than just AG- could be argued that if they aren't doing it at the South Stand entrance then they aren't doing their job correctly there or maybe equally possibly,. they lack sufficient numbers? :dunno:Sure Matt Parsons will clarify all in due course however,.

@AshtonPark

On search policy seemingly differing by gender- it'd obviously have to be a female steward asking female fans to open their coat, if anyone at all- why the club differentiate, only they can say. Fairly sure it's not a new thing though.

Speaking in general now, I suppose another valid point is how search policy is more stringent at other clubs. Ours is fairly light touch or middling perhaps.

Where for example are one or more of the following even at the Atyeo end of the Dolman?

• Compulsory pat-downs for all?
  • Handheld wands which detect metal objects.
  • Entry Barriers to ensure people queue for searching? We had them at the fan-zone.
  • Tables in order to ensure that people can have their pockets searched- dunno about football but at events they definitely do exist.
  • Pyro dogs (or sniffer dogs for other purposes)?

These are not unheard of at football in 2018 in the UK. Our search regime is somewhere in the middle I feel.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@nickolas

Let's see- could be argued that the open coat policy in these dangerous times is valid and more commonplace than just AG- could be argued that if they aren't doing it at the South Stand entrance then they aren't doing their job correctly there or maybe equally possibly,. they lack sufficient numbers? :dunno:Sure Matt Parsons will clarify all in due course however,.

@AshtonPark

On search policy seemingly differing by gender- it'd obviously have to be a female steward asking female fans to open their coat, if anyone at all- why the club differentiate, only they can say. Fairly sure it's not a new thing though.

Speaking in general now, I suppose another valid point is how search policy is more stringent at other clubs. Ours is fairly light touch or middling perhaps.

Where for example are one or more of the following even at the Atyeo end of the Dolman?

• Handheld wands which detect metal.
  • Entry Barriers to ensure people queue for searching? We had them at the fan-zone.
  • Tables in order to ensure that people can have their pockets searched.

These are not unheard of at football in 2018 in the UK. Our search regime is somewhere in the middle I feel.

One massive point, I was asked by a female steward to unzip my jacket. 

What is the difference there between a female steward asking a male, and a male asking a female?

I personally find the whole thing laughable as you could hide whatever you wanted down the back of your trousers. I’d happily even prove it to the club if I was allowed to. 

I can understand the reasoning behind it, I just fail to see why women are not asked to open their jackets, and if it is above on gender why a female steward can ask me to do it, but a male steward can’t ask a female. 

12 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

One massive point, I was asked by a female steward to unzip my jacket. 

What is the difference there between a female steward asking a male, and a male asking a female?

I personally find the whole thing laughable as you could hide whatever you wanted down the back of your trousers. I’d happily even prove it to the club if I was allowed to. 

I can understand the reasoning behind it, I just fail to see why women are not asked to open their jackets, and if it is above on gender why a female steward can ask me to do it, but a male steward can’t ask a female. 

Seems that there is an inconsistency then, depending on where fans enter the ground and perhaps other areas. 

Open coat and open bags protect to a decent extent- but only perhaps up to a point- but as you say, prohibited items can still be smuggled in, hence perhaps why other clubs give all fans pat downs or use more robust searching methods. I still say ours clearly isn't the most stringent. Where are entry barriers for example to ensure everyone gets searched? Fairly basic if an organisation is serious about it surely.

The last bit is something the club need to explain.

• Admin
18 hours ago, daored said:

Is that just at football ?!

Oddly when I watched the rugby the other Saturday, the steward at the gate by Raynes Road was stopping everyone to check coats and bags, it was much more stringent than at the football

Been to a few games in France recently. They separate males and females into different search areas. Women have female stewards to search them. It’s a proper search as well i.e. coats wide open and pat downs. We are playing at it really which is all well and good until, god forbid, someone does try something. 

8 minutes ago, Dolman Original said:

Been to a few games in France recently. They separate males and females into different search areas. Women have female stewards to search them. It’s a proper search as well i.e. coats wide open and pat downs. We are playing at it really which is all well and good until, god forbid, someone does try something. 

Thank you!

I've not been to games in France, one game in Serie A the limit of my foreign football trips, but regardless yes what I've been trying to say- it is somewhat of a lighter touch regime than it could be.

Whether it's a good thing? Up to people to decide.

• Admin
22 minutes ago, Dolman Original said:

They separate males and females into different search areas. Women have female stewards to search them. It’s a proper search as well i.e. coats wide open and pat downs.

That's how they did it outside the away end at Goodison Park a few weeks back

21 minutes ago, Dolman Original said:

Its not only France, I take my daughter to most games and a fair few away games she has been searched and it is segregated as you say. 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@nickolas

@AshtonPark

• Handheld wands which detect metal objects.
  • Tables in order to ensure that people can have their pockets searched- dunno about football but at events they definitely do exist.

Had the conversation many a time with head stewards about the doing/not doing and always been assured its done everywhere. 

Depending on parking we enter at either end of the dolman and i couldnt tell you the last time i was checked at south stand end. 

None of it bothers me but if you’re going to do it then it should be commenplace and consistent!

3 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Had the conversation many a time with head stewards about the doing/not doing and always been assured its done everywhere. 

Depending on parking we enter at either end of the dolman and i couldnt tell you the last time i was checked at south stand end. 

None of it bothers me but if you’re going to do it then it should be commenplace and consistent!

Can't disagree at all that it needs to be commonplace and consistent! Otherwise in a sense, what's the point?

39 minutes ago, Dolman Original said:

Went to red bull salzburg in the summer and had a similar experience. 

Having a massive guy barking at me in German was something I'll never forget! 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Oddly when I watched the rugby the other Saturday, the steward at the gate by Raynes Road was stopping everyone to check coats and bags, it was much more stringent than at the football

Maybe for the rugby they’re checking you’re not smuggling in your own booze? 

I must admit the security checks vary wildly depending on where you go. 

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can't disagree at all that it needs to be commonplace and consistent! Otherwise in a sense, what's the point?

Yep. 

Typical of saying one thing yet doing another in a big organisation. 

It means nothing to open your coat but to be chased down for it when i know full well the other end you dont even get asked is pure comedy!

only BCFC eh!!

9 hours ago, phantom said:

Isn't that a public footpath through that gate?

Archived