IGNORED

Women a security risk? Sexism at the gate?

AshtonPark

23 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

One massive point, I was asked by a female steward to unzip my jacket. 

What is the difference there between a female steward asking a male, and a male asking a female?

I personally find the whole thing laughable as you could hide whatever you wanted down the back of your trousers. I’d happily even prove it to the club if I was allowed to. 

I can understand the reasoning behind it, I just fail to see why women are not asked to open their jackets, and if it is above on gender why a female steward can ask me to do it, but a male steward can’t ask a female. 

Are you sure she said " jacket " ? , the little minx .

20 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Had the full works at the Etihad, dogs an all!

Darrel Clark will be jealous now .

scary thing is these ladies could be hiding a couple of big bazookas under their coats and just walk in.......

As an aside - my Big Brother works as  Frame Maker - and the job is a bit dusty at times and we had a delivery to make in London - straight from work and pretty dusty from plaster of paris - we delivered the frames and he was paid in cash - off to see Brentford and surprise to surprise as a dusty grubby duo with smatterings of "white powder" we were picked out and searched and low and behold big brother has a wad of cash...we missed the game! Funny now but it was not at the time :laugh:

• Admin
1 hour ago, Markman said:

scary thing is these ladies could be hiding a couple of big bazookas under their coats and just walk in.......

As an aside - my Big Brother works as  Frame Maker - and the job is a bit dusty at times and we had a delivery to make in London - straight from work and pretty dusty from plaster of paris - we delivered the frames and he was paid in cash - off to see Brentford and surprise to surprise as a dusty grubby duo with smatterings of "white powder" we were picked out and searched and low and behold big brother has a wad of cash...we missed the game! Funny now but it was not at the time :laugh:

You'll be ok nowadays these use dogs to smell for substances

1 hour ago, littlered said:

To be fair, it's not difficult to just walk in via the car park at the South Stand rather than through the wall of stewards. Also means you don't have to fight your way through the crowds of people around the atyeo statue and stage area?

I do that every game and use the South Stand turnstiles to gain access to the Lansdown. So much easier.

21 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO any feedback possible?

Hi @AshtonPark

I was waiting for the stadium safety & security team to come back to me. I have been told that  security searches are random and therefore ,until the threat level rises, the stadium security team will maintain selective and random searching.

Matt

34 minutes ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

Hi @AshtonPark

I was waiting for the stadium safety & security team to come back to me. I have been told that  security searches are random and therefore ,until the threat level rises, the stadium security team will maintain selective and random searching.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks, but if it’s selective why are stewards shouting at all males

”Unzip your jackets please” on the wall up to the turnstiles, then chasing down the ones who don’t that isn’t selective. 

On 08/10/2018 at 14:23, cidered abroad said:

These personal body searches were introduced, I believe, after terrorism events.

However, it's very noticeable that it only happens at football matches at Ashton Gate. Never seen it done at Bristol Rugby. 

Of course there would only be terrorists at football and never at rugby. Silly me.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

I do rate most of your posts but this one is an outright lie as 

On 08/10/2018 at 12:04, phantom said:

Oddly when I watched the rugby the other Saturday, the steward at the gate by Raynes Road was stopping everyone to check coats and bags, it was much more stringent than at the football

This has been our group's experience at the rugby for at least a year. Also got chased after by a steward for carrying in an empty can of red bull I drank during the walk in. No bother, my bad although I had just walked through their checkpoint and none commented upon it at the time. Not sure why OP is making this a sexism thing either when in my experience women are subject to more intense searches than men, including bags.

I’ve never been patted down searched at Ashton Gate, for either football or rugby, but it is quite common at away grounds, probably about 40%. West Brom cup match a couple of years ago was very through, but I think it was shortly after a terrorist attack. You got full pat down going into the fan village, again to go into the club shop and again to enter the turnstiles. All these venues were of course in very close proximity. 

I’ve usually got a small drawstring bag, this is always searched. I have heard Stewards to shout to open your jacket but I tend to ignore them and just offer my bag to be searched. Only once did a female steward ask me personally to unzip my jacket. I asked her what she was looking for and she replied ‘bottles of wine’ wtf!

What bugs me is the policy about tagging bags. I show my bag at Raines Road, waved in. Steward with tags in his hand but doesn’t tag me. I go through the SS turnstiles and steward immediately asked to search my bag. I explain I have been searched at Raines Road. I am then asked where my tag is. I say steward didn’t give me one. I am then told he should have. I say it’s not my fault I wasn’t given one. Steward shrugs and tags my bag. This happens almost every week!

I sometimes ask the Raines Road steward to give me a tag to avoid this. Sometimes he says he has been told not to tag small bags and sometimes he tags me ( to shut me up no doubt :laugh:). Sometimes he doesn’t have tags.

There are also some glaring security issues I have noticed but don’t think it’s wise to put them on an open forum. 

• Admin
42 minutes ago, Rinkadink said:

I do rate most of your posts but this one is an outright lie as 

This has been our group's experience at the rugby for at least a year. Also got chased after by a steward for carrying in an empty can of red bull I drank during the walk in. No bother, my bad although I had just walked through their checkpoint and none commented upon it at the time. Not sure why OP is making this a sexism thing either when in my experience women are subject to more intense searches than men, including bags.

@Rinkadink there were two things that surprised me about the searches I refer to

1 The number of clear bin bags filled with cans that had obviously been confiscated off of people- was amusing how many people were stood there finishing their cans off

2 A male steward was the only person on duty - I know a physical search can only be done by someone of the same sex, but wasn't sure if this was the case for bag searches etc?

On 8 October 2018 at 12:43, phantom said:

That's how they did it outside the away end at Goodison Park a few weeks back

Same as they did when we went to Man city.  Queued  to enter the ground then when I got to the front told by steward that they couldn't search meas 'wrong sex' so then had to join another queue. 

39 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Same as they did when we went to Man city.  Queued  to enter the ground then when I got to the front told by steward that they couldn't search meas 'wrong sex' so then had to join another queue. 

Indeed.

So for comparison's sake, dependent on how people look at it ours is either a welcome balance between security and freedom or it's a lax approach in these uncertain times.

That said- away fans are usually searched more robustly as a rule of thumb.

On 11/10/2018 at 09:51, AshtonPark said:

Hi Matt,

Thanks, but if it’s selective why are stewards shouting at all males

”Unzip your jackets please” on the wall up to the turnstiles, then chasing down the ones who don’t that isn’t selective. 

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO 

Hi Matt, I'm in total agreement with @AshtonPark I find the security teams reply to you very surprising.  my route into AG is down Marina Dolman Way from the park and the rude shriek of coats open is a weekly occurance.  However if you arrive at the South Stand end of Ashton Gate there is no presence of any security.

So I get to my hypothetical point.  If I was intent of something sinister it wouldn't be difficult to figure out how to get around jacket searches. 

On 11/10/2018 at 10:25, RedM said:

I’ve never been patted down searched at Ashton Gate, for either football or rugby, but it is quite common at away grounds, probably about 40%. West Brom cup match a couple of years ago was very through, but I think it was shortly after a terrorist attack. You got full pat down going into the fan village, again to go into the club shop and again to enter the turnstiles. All these venues were of course in very close proximity. 

I’ve usually got a small drawstring bag, this is always searched. I have heard Stewards to shout to open your jacket but I tend to ignore them and just offer my bag to be searched. Only once did a female steward ask me personally to unzip my jacket. I asked her what she was looking for and she replied ‘bottles of wine’ wtf!

What bugs me is the policy about tagging bags. I show my bag at Raines Road, waved in. Steward with tags in his hand but doesn’t tag me. I go through the SS turnstiles and steward immediately asked to search my bag. I explain I have been searched at Raines Road. I am then asked where my tag is. I say steward didn’t give me one. I am then told he should have. I say it’s not my fault I wasn’t given one. Steward shrugs and tags my bag. This happens almost every week!

I sometimes ask the Raines Road steward to give me a tag to avoid this. Sometimes he says he has been told not to tag small bags and sometimes he tags me ( to shut me up no doubt :laugh:). Sometimes he doesn’t have tags.

There are also some glaring security issues I have noticed but don’t think it’s wise to put them on an open forum. 

Last couple of times the security person has said that they don't have enough tags for each bag, and then that they only tag large bags/rucksacks. I haven't ever been asked why I don't have a tag when entering through the turnstiles - yet. 

I don't have a problem with being searched or anything but sometimes (actually, very rarely) I do feel that their approach (to others - usually male) is a bit aggressive/rude when it is not necessary. We are football fans, not animals. Most of the stewards are very polite and courteous though. Obviously this only what I have witnessed.

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Last couple of times the security person has said that they don't have enough tags for each bag, and then that they only tag large bags/rucksacks. I haven't ever been asked why I don't have a tag when entering through the turnstiles - yet. 

I don't have a problem with being searched or anything but sometimes (actually, very rarely) I do feel that their approach (to others - usually male) is a bit aggressive/rude when it is not necessary. We are football fans, not animals. Most of the stewards are very polite and courteous though. Obviously this only what I have witnessed.

Just doesn’t seem very consistent does it. I don’t have a problem with being searched etc either as I’ve never tried to get anything illegal in, certainly not the quoted bottle of wine! I’m not sure how random searches are as I get stopped every week, fair enough. Maybe I just look like I would be friendly and comply, that’s what I’d like to think rather than them seeing me a a wine bottle smuggler :laugh:

I found if you are willing to open your bag most Stewards just have a quick glance and wave you through, no doubt if anyone refuses to show what they have it could mean they do have something and the stewards would be more interested. 

But yes I think if I was a Male I would be getting pretty hacked off if I was being patted down every week, especially if you had been attending for years and knew the stewards by sight and vice versa.

@RedM @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

I think this is another issue that will just be forgotten about, like many issues at Bristol sport. 

I have no issues with the searches they are just utterly pointless with no reasoning behind them. 

Like I said in the earlier post, I can guarantee I can take smoke canisters, flares, drugs, weapons all into ashton gate even going past the “OPEN YOUR JACKETS” stewards. Having to do it 23+ times a year, whilst being threatened with not being allowed if I don’t gets a bit tiresome.  

Id rather they came out and said it’s for insurance reasons etc, it’s like the old east end with the ticket checks. I asked the club a few times why, also got met with “if you have a ticket what’s the issue.

Rather they were just honest and said the turnstiles couldn’t tell what stand your ticket was for. 

11 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

@RedM @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

I think this is another issue that will just be forgotten about, like many issues at Bristol sport. 

I have no issues with the searches they are just utterly pointless with no reasoning behind them. 

Like I said in the earlier post, I can guarantee I can take smoke canisters, flares, drugs, weapons all into ashton gate even going past the “OPEN YOUR JACKETS” stewards. Having to do it 23+ times a year, whilst being threatened with not being allowed if I don’t gets a bit tiresome.  

What is the purpose of the "opening jackets"?

I thought this was introduced after terrorism events to see if anyone was wearing anything that could be used in such an event. Am I correct or is it for a different reason?

If I am correct, then why isn't the same done at Bristol Rugby home games?

Or do Bristol Sport believe that there could only be a terrorist attack at City matches?

I actually welcome a full search of everyone if that improves safety. I have no problems with such a search at Cardiff for rugby internationals.

But it appears to me that the cursory glance by the stewards at City home games is a pathetic attempt at security.

So search meaningfully or not at all.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

On 10/10/2018 at 14:27, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't usually enter via that way but flaw in security? Gap- that occured to me to when reading the thread- surely you'd still have to enter via a turnstile where the searches take place?

I always enter via the south stand turnstiles, never once have I been searched at the turnstiles, I enter around 2:40 so not sure if that has something to do with it or if the stewards there assume that I've already been searched. 

It seems to be that because there hasn't been any attacks in Bristol people are quite relaxed about the possibility of it happening here. How long until terrorists figure out places like Bristol are much easier targets than London?

Man City had some of the most robust searches I have ever faced.

8 hours ago, EmersonsKev said:

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO 

Hi Matt, I'm in total agreement with @AshtonPark I find the security teams reply to you very surprising.  my route into AG is down Marina Dolman Way from the park and the rude shriek of coats open is a weekly occurance.  However if you arrive at the South Stand end of Ashton Gate there is no presence of any security.

So I get to my hypothetical point.  If I was intent of something sinister it wouldn't be difficult to figure out how to get around jacket searches. 

I’ll make sure I pass your feedback back to them tomorrow. 

Matt

16 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I always enter via the south stand turnstiles, never once have I been searched at the turnstiles, I enter around 2:40 so not sure if that has something to do with it or if the stewards there assume that I've already been searched. 

It seems to be that because there hasn't been any attacks in Bristol people are quite relaxed about the possibility of it happening here. How long until terrorists figure out places like Bristol are much easier targets than London?

Man City had some of the most robust searches I have ever faced.

Even if it's only check of bag (don't know if you carry a bag) or depending on gender open coat policy, they should still be searching IMO.

Ours is levels below Man City- but then as I said in another post away fans tend to get stricter search policy in general.

@RedM Unsure about that- most home fans don't routinely get patted down. Open coat (for males) yes, bags checked- yes but generally patted down not so much. Don't remember the last time I got patted down at a home game.

@cidered abroad Fairly sure they've tightened it up this season at the rugby- maybe as others have observed it depends on which entrance you go in?

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Even if it's only check of bag (don't know if you carry a bag) or depending on gender open coat policy, they should still be searching IMO.

Ours is levels below Man City- but then as I said in another post away fans tend to get stricter search policy in general.

@RedM Unsure about that- most home fans don't routinely get patted down. Open coat (for males) yes, bags checked- yes but generally patted down not so much. Don't remember the last time I got patted down at a home game.

@cidered abroad Fairly sure they've tightened it up this season at the rugby- maybe as others have observed it depends on which entrance you go in?

That’s good to hear the patting down is a bit less as far as treating everyone more equally regarding home fans, I did think the SS singers in particular were having more of this and ticket checks.

I have witnessed bag checks for rugby for the first time this season, after attending regularly since the rugby moved here so it’s not a Championship/Premiership thing in particular. Much more hit and miss ( relaxed) than for football though. 

18 hours ago, RedM said:

That’s good to hear the patting down is a bit less as far as treating everyone more equally regarding home fans, I did think the SS singers in particular were having more of this and ticket checks.

I have witnessed bag checks for rugby for the first time this season, after attending regularly since the rugby moved here so it’s not a Championship/Premiership thing in particular. Much more hit and miss ( relaxed) than for football though. 

Ticket checks because supply likely was outstripped by demand. It's been highlighted and discussed on here before.

Patting down of SS Singers? That'll be because last season we had a bit of a rep for pyros and pyros tended to come from that area. It's not unknown at other grounds etc.

On 10/10/2018 at 15:21, Up The City! said:

I noticed a flaw in security on Sunday at the winterstoke road entrance. I was heading straight to the Heineken bar so just cut across the car park. I had a bag with me and I was wearing a coat and by cutting across the car park I was able to bypass the searches. 

On 14/10/2018 at 18:56, Up The City! said:

It was suggested by the OP that women don't have to open their jackets and, unless I am mistaken, you never did reveal in the recent thread about your Ireland escapade/romance the reason you might have been excused....

Archived