IGNORED

Kelly, Desilva Different Class today

REDOXO

Don’t get the Kelly love in. 

Yes he’s one of our own and yes he’s a decent young player but that’s it. He’s a decent enough defender but he is poor going forward, in fact he rarely does...

The two guys behind me who are constantly singing his praises, no matter what he does, need to take off their rose tinted glasses imo

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Yes he’s one of our own and yes he’s a decent young player but that’s it. He’s a decent enough defender but he is poor going forward, in fact he rarely does...

The two guys behind me who are constantly singing his praises, no matter what he does, need to take off their rose tinted glasses imo

Very decent defender (As long as he concentrates - needs to improve concentration)

With the ball he’s very ordinary , comfortable but ordinary

Overall a  good player with potential to be much better as he develops

18 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

The lad is very composed rarely panics and creates time for himself on the ball, you can’t coach that skill. 

He’ll make the odd mistake, simply through inexperience. Personally he didn’t do too much wrong today, and the left hand pairing of Kelly and Dasilva looked threatening throughout.

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

As above!

Hunt had his best game. First half I thought he was our best threat going forward , made some great runs. Not so much 2nd half, but then our movement and passing was poor all over.

Taylor is mobile but really isn't an out and out forward. Not sure what he is, busy drops deep to pick up the ball then looks like he doesn't want it. Plays on the shoulder, and doesn't have the pace to get away from the defender.

Diehdhou misses a gift and their forward converts two...Some touches , turns and hold up play was awesome. Same breath it looked like he'd never even seen a football before.

Pack was better but still poor. Never seen a player change so quickly. Only saying recently he was our most improved player over the last couple of years. Now couldn't pass water, missing his target by 20-30yards. As I said elsewhere, when he plays poorly we play poorly.

Webster looked good but can't cross, or even just pump one in. Decent footballer, will get better. Needs to get a bit stronger but potentially a lot better than Flint, but not yet.

Brownhill works Hard like Taylor, but has nothing around the box. I like Brownhill, another one that would look better if we played a 3 in MF IMO.

Odowda is a good player but where will he get a goal from.I think he needs a run of games, his form really improved last year  when he was playing regularly, one in one out doesn't't help him.

What I think we witnessed  was a good team performance, but losing to the inevitable defensive cock up. We have no goals in us and today crossing was awful. Not sure it can be classed as good, too many misplaced passes, too many errors and bad choices. We did dominate first half but they still had chances.

The players on the treatment table that are untried at this level. We do have Kalas, Korey and Pisano  missing. 

The lurching between winning runs and win less runs is frightening and here we go again! Amen brother.

On today's performance Hunt, Taylor and Paterson are not good enough, Marlon is continuing to struggle badly, and Fammy offered next to nothing.

You won't beat anyone at this level while you're carrying 5 badly out of form/not good enough players.

Da Silva was making a really good impression until he put the ball out of play for an 'injured' Wednesday player.

Not a head injury, no whistle from the ref., and he responded to the Wednesday fans whistling by kicking it out when we had the chance of an attack.

Massive derision from the Dolman, and quite right too imo..

Really pissed me off, and many others too.

This isn't the namby pamby PL - play to the bloody whistle!

The Wednesday player was absolutely fine, of course.

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

On today's performance Hunt, Taylor and Paterson are not good enough, Marlon is continuing to struggle badly, and Fammy offered next to nothing.

You won't beat anyone at this level while you're carrying 5 badly out of form/not good enough players.

I thought Pato had a very tidy first half he was involved in the majority of linking play between midfield and attack and showed some nice touches.

we are letting an unacceptable result cloud that we could and should have been 2-0 up.

I get that OTIB likes a scapegoat but he was good in possession and involved in most of our good moves.

3 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I thought Pato had a very tidy first half he was involved in the majority of linking play between midfield and attack and showed some nice touches.

we are letting an unacceptable result cloud that we could and should have been 2-0 up.

I get that OTIB likes a scapegoat but he was good in possession and involved in most of our good moves.

Nice touches that achieved very little, and yet again he had little influence on the game imo.

I doubt LJ would have subbed him if he agreed with your appraisal of his performance.

26 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I'm hardly scapegoating Paterson - he's just one of 5 names I've forward who I don't think were anywhere good enough today for one reason or another.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Da Silva was making a really good impression until he put the ball out of play for an 'injured' Wednesday player.

Not a head injury, no whistle from the ref., and he responded to the Wednesday fans whistling by kicking it out when we had the chance of an attack.

Massive derision from the Dolman, and quite right too imo..

Really pissed me off, and many others too.

This isn't the namby pamby PL - play to the bloody whistle!

The Wednesday player was absolutely fine, of course.

Completely agree about the Da Silva bit... we’re far too nice sometimes for our own good.

Some of the comments here surprise me.

Kelly had a decent game, largely stifling the threat of Reach, and Da Silva was the City player most likely to bring the ball forward and most likely to make a cross. That's to say nothing of his Bryan-esque ability to outjump blokes a foot taller than him!

Along with Maenpaa, Webster and Taylor they were the only players to earn their pay today,

In my opinion, of course.

34 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Da Silva is Lloyd’s England captain and was Charlton’s POTY last season and just needs a run of games. He was fine today & would rather see Lloyd at CB if Kalas unavailable as Baker has become liability 

DaSilva must have something to be on Chelsea’s Books and England U20s but I can’t see it to date

Whats his big strength / asset ?

Anyone ?

And he and Kelly looked as if they were on different planets today , no understanding or cohesion which was a big surprise considering they’ve lined up that way for U20s

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

DaSilva must have something to be on Chelsea’s Books and England U20s but I can’t see it to date

Anyone ?

And he and Kelly looked as if they were on different planets today , no understanding or cohesion which was a big surprise considering they’ve lined up that way for U20s

But tbh Bob can't you see that in many of our players? The formation and personnel chops and changes and players don't have time to build up personal rapports, on-field understanding. 

Just look at the forwards!

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Anyone ?

Pace and good technical ability & football brain. We are all making judgements based on limited time but Da Silva and Walsh have not had much game time & could improve us ..... could being the operative word !

38 minutes ago, harrys said:

Kelly made a few mistakes going forward early season, it looks to me like he’s been told to be fairly conservative in his approach since the WBA game

Good point , and he was left sided CB rather than LB today

But his unwillingness to cross the half way line like it was an electric barrier , with twenty or thirty yards of open grass in front of him was bizarre - Surely our ethos and three centre halves gives them some licence to bring the ball out - Webster did on occassions and even Baker did at least twice

Strange 

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I thought Paterson looked a lot brighter again today, was always looking for the ball generslly moved it quickly & positively when he had it. 

He’s been poor lately, but today was a big improvement. Not at full speed yet, but it was a big step in the right direction. 

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I thought Paterson looked a lot brighter again today, was always looking for the ball generslly moved it quickly & positively when he had it. 

He’s been poor lately, but today was a big improvement. Not at full speed yet, but it was a big step in the right direction. 

I noticed this too. He brought some needed quick tempo to our attacks 

23 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

He has been so poor that it gives people hope after an ok performance today. I thought he was average at best and playing in a position that truly suits him and he just never got it going. Was not the worst today and perhaps why he wasn’t great but we all have seen how good he can be and he was still nowhere near that today. 

My thoughts on everyone today

Maenpaa- thought he very good. Could not fo much for the goals and was calm in possesion

Hunt- ok going forward but often runs into dead ends and kills attacks. Defensively not much to do

Webster- our star player imo. Dealt with his physical challenges. Brings the ball forward when he needs to and rarely passes backwards. Brave on the ball and been a warrior defensively lately. 

Baker- was ok but on two occasions let the ball bounce in our third. One led to a Reach shot saved by maenpaa(kelly also guilty) and one led to a goal. Those mistakes completely undo any good he did 

Kelly- defended well in his one on ones. Could have dealt with a long ball in the first half that Baker did not handle but was equally indecisive. Looked scared to take a dribble or pass forward. That part of his game really killed what would have been another good performance from him. 

DaSilva- solid enough and tried but just did not pose enough threat at WB. Didn’t do anything wrong. Got a couple decent crosses in but probably twice as many poor. 

Pack- atrocious if I am being honest. Some inexplicably bad passes. Can excuse a couple passes a yard or so off but hit a few 10-20 yards off target. Also looked scared to play forward at times. Not a captains performance at all

Brownhill- always works hard. His bad games are usually still 6/10 which he was probably slightly better than today. Think he’d be a star in a 3. 

Pato- see reply

Taylor- probably similar write up to Brownhill. Worked hard and did a lot of good things but most others so off the pace he could not shine

Diedhiou- what can I say? I have defended him countless times but today was bad. Had a couple decent moments where he actually brought a ball under control, held off the defender and made a turn and pass but that is minimal that is expected. Usually fancy him in one on ones and he failed. Had some space behind but reluctant to run. One time he did and did not have the pace. He looks devoid of confidence for some reason and our lack of options up front is scary. We needed 15-20 goals from Fam but just doesn’t look likely. 

Watkins- another Watkins performance. He tries but often no quality to speak of. A signing I will never understand. Imagine we could have got him later in the window if we didn’t get Adelakun and Eliasson didn’t look as sharp. That said we signed Adelakun and Eliasson has looked good so Watkins will probably end up being a striker by feb, yay

COD- looked lively when he came on which begs the question, why is he not as energetic as a starter? He does look more likely off the bench atm. Is the contract situation bothering him? I can see him starring for someone else next season. Another one who can’t get any rhythm because of the chopping and changing. Feel for him as he should be starting week in and week out with Eliasson. 

Weimann- hard work, good runs and a bit too unselfish. We need one or two players to be selfish and Weimann does not have that in him. Thought once or twice he could have a go from 20 yards but tried a difficult pass through loads of players. Him and Taylor seem more like linking players than strikers and with Fam misfiring we have no goals. 

24 minutes ago, NorfolkInChance said:

No he was ok - a little bit of Joe Bryan syndrome here but he does have proper potential for sure

Not doubting the potential at all. People go slightly OTT with his performances every game.

Archived