IGNORED

Liam Walsh

Dredd

Thinking same myself.  He need to be in the pitch. Thought he was outstanding against (admittedly lowered league) Plymouth.

LJ must see him as a Pack alternative so if Pack is on the pitch, no Liam.   With all the space out there today, thought it was made for him.  

I firmly believe he is good enough and honestly think he’d be better than Pack or at least consistently more solid. He is not a #10 though and would need to play the Pack role. He is an agressive player so I think he’d be fine. That said he should play against Brentford because we will get battered in our 442. I’d probably go

Maenpaa(injured?)

Hunt Webster Kelly DaSilva

Pack Walsh

Brownhill

Weimann               O’Dowda

Taylor

Thought about Wright at RB but not against Watkins. Baker I have had enough of. The midfield 3 has the ability to play around their midfield and stay with them defensively. Plenty of industry with Weimann and COD and Taylor hopefully at his best creating some chances for Weimann, COD and Brownhill. 

What I fail to understand is why after playing well albeit against Plymouth and training well or so we are told, we’ve not seen him whilst others continue to get rewarded for poor performances.  How the hell anyone can say he’s not championship ready is beyond me until we give him a chance.

Now Korey got injured before transfer deadline day so if we didn’t bring another midfielder in (which I cannot believe we didn’t) then LJ has put His hope in Brownhill/Pack staying injury free and in form for 4 months as clearly not having Walsh

Looks a shocking decision now!!!

When I have seen him play he has always been the stand out midfielder but does that fit into a team ? What bothers me is that he is never used as a substitute when things are going wrong he is the one player who can change the game,not sure what will make Lee bring him on apart from an injury crisis. 

Unsure he could fit in a 2.

Would quite like to see him in a central midfield 3 or maybe behind Weimann or Taylor in a similar type shape to our 4-4-1-1 which was so successful at times last season. He wouldn't bring as much pure 'number 10' qualities as Paterson did at that time, but on the other hand he could drop back when we're defending, push on in attack and support when it's in midfield phase.

18 hours ago, pongo88 said:

It begs the question, if he’s not good enough to get onto the pitch today, or against Wigan and Rotherham, why did City pay £1m for him in the January transfer window? 

Because rather than pay that amount to cover someone like Mitrovic’s wages for half a season and make a real promotion charge, we decided we’d be far better off buying a young player who we won’t play because he’s evidently not yet up to standard. That of course won’t have been a Johnson decision but would’ve came from further up the chain.

20 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

To be fair, Walsh doesnt seem to be up to Championship football when I have seen him, maybe one day he will along with the test of the team.

When have you seen him? Not this season in the league, crazily not even for a sub appearance. He played against Plymouth and was our best player, tackled and passed the ball well, not his fault many of those around him that night could not be bothered to give 100%.

Pack, who was doing very well up until the WBA game, has been really poor these last 5 winless games, give the kid a chance. 

People say he is not strong enough to play in a CM 2, so play a CM 3 moving Brownhill a bit right where he will have more freedom to break forward too.

28 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Because rather than pay that amount to cover someone like Mitrovic’s wages for half a season and make a real promotion charge, we decided we’d be far better off buying a young player who we won’t play because he’s evidently not yet up to standard. That of course won’t have been a Johnson decision but would’ve came from further up the chain.

In hindsight however, would any of Mitrovic, Grabban or Afobe have joined us on loan in Jan?

£600,000 loan fee for Mitrovic though, and wages- assume Fulham paid all of those? More than Walsh probably. Found an article on him which suggests that Anderlecht, Bordeaux and Middlesborough in for him in addition to Fulham. Cobbled together a bit, but £30,000 per week at Fulham plus a £600,000 loan fee.

@old_eastender Agree with that.

19 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I firmly believe he is good enough and honestly think he’d be better than Pack or at least consistently more solid.

Genuine question as an expat, who's not got to see a lot of the games, what's behind this belief? Is it just that Pack's not been very good recently?

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

When have you seen him? Not this season in the league, crazily not even for a sub appearance. He played against Plymouth and was our best player, tackled and passed the ball well, not his fault many of those around him that night could not be bothered to give 100%.

Pack, who was doing very well up until the WBA game, has been really poor these last 5 winless games, give the kid a chance. 

People say he is not strong enough to play in a CM 2, so play a CM 3 moving Brownhill a bit right where he will have more freedom to break forward too.

Yeah, that seems to make some sense and would maybe give him the opportunity to establish himself.  LJ can always change it after 60 minutes if he needs something different.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In hindsight however, would any of Mitrovic, Grabban or Afobe have joined us on loan in Jan?

£600,000 loan fee for Mitrovic though, and wages- assume Fulham paid all of those? More than Walsh probably. Found an article on him which suggests that Anderlecht, Bordeaux and Middlesborough in for him in addition to Fulham. Cobbled together a bit, but £30,000 per week at Fulham plus a £600,000 loan fee.

@old_eastender Agree with that.

Seeing as we were ahead of Villa and Fulham in the table, yes they would have as long as we stumped up the cost.

Lets break it down:

If you say Mitrovic was on £30k a week and we paid the lot for 5 months that totals £600k. Loan fee of £600k and you’ve got a total outlay of £1.2m for a top striker and some much needed quality up top. We spent 1m on Walsh on the fee alone. I know where my money would have gone.

Even then it’s not restricted to the players you listed, there would have been others out there of similar quality willing to join a promotion push and we weren’t even interested in looking.

3 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Seeing as we were ahead of Villa and Fulham in the table, yes they would have as long as we stumped up the cost.

Lets break it down:

If you say Mitrovic was on £30k a week and we paid the lot for 5 months that totals £600k. Loan fee of £600k and you’ve got a total outlay of £1.2m for a top striker and some much needed quality up top. We spent 1m on Walsh on the fee alone. I know where my money would have gone.

Even then it’s not restricted to the players you listed, there would have been others out there of similar quality willing to join a promotion push and we weren’t even interested in looking.

Walsh 900k-1000000 fee. 

2 and a half year deal- amortization 360k per year or 400k per year depending on the fee. That'd be in accounting terms anyway- waged I'm going to guess between 10-15k per week.

Mitrovic 600k loan fee. 30k per week- when you seem to have lost 18m in a season, unsure you can afford these.

Fair point on Grabban position wise, just unsure Mitrovic would have been affordable. From memory too, Mitrovic went to Fulham end of Jan- were we 3 points above them at most? Or 1?

Believe me, I was all for one of Mitrovic, Grabban or Adobe in Jan- had a proper belief in the playoffs and maybe more, but definitely the playoffs but @Davefevs has covered it well before- he thinks we lost 18m last season and over 3 years I think we were up against our limit.

Mitrovic for Diony and Walsh combined now that might have been a different scenario and kept us in FFP limits- might being an operative word.

Archived