IGNORED

Can We Just Be Honest

longyears

We all know really be we happy clappers or complainers that LJ should be long gone and at ANY other club would be. He has never achieved anything or won anything wherever he has managed and has nothing to recommend him - he is a football manager novice who does nor have a clue what he is doing. We also know that for reasons beyond our understanding SL thinks he is God and will not fire him. The choice is simple - accept that he will eventually get us relegated because of his continual incompetence and support with your feet and money or give up going. There is absolutely nothing anyone on this board can say or quote which indicates he will bring us success - I am sure he is a decent man but he is the pits in every sense as a football manager - sad but a truism I fear.

4 minutes ago, longyears said:

We all know really be we happy clappers or complainers that LJ should be long gone and at ANY other club would be. He has never achieved anything or won anything wherever he has managed and has nothing to recommend him - he is a football manager novice who does nor have a clue what he is doing. We also know that for reasons beyond our understanding SL thinks he is God and will not fire him. The choice is simple - accept that he will eventually get us relegated because of his continual incompetence and support with your feet and money or give up going. There is absolutely nothing anyone on this board can say or quote which indicates he will bring us success - I am sure he is a decent man but he is the pits in every sense as a football manager - sad but a truism I fear.

He won’t be sacked and he knows it. Good or bad LJ lover or hater he’s going nowhere 

based on budget and squad quality i think 13th is about right.

to back up your statement, recruitment was on the whole poor.

to argue against it, he had the 3 top performers sold on him and a couple of usefull squad players in maggs and djuric.

winning 4 on the spin then not winning in 5 is the way it seems to go for lee where ever hes been.

i do see stoke city and aston villa below us tbf.

37 minutes ago, Fiale said:

You may as well get behind him as he is going nowhere, we are his apprenticeship and we just have to hope that he finds a way to become a master craftsman before going onto better things. 

Better things. Surely there is no one out there as gullable and as poor a judge of a Manager as Lansdown.

37 minutes ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Nobody's asking you to make a comment.

Believe it or not there's rather a lot of us who would be delighted if he was replaced.

16 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It depends by whom . 

Exactly, by whom?

What manager will come here, do a better job than LJ, knowing that we are developing young players to sell them on and won't spent more than circa £15m a year on transfers - IF we sell players?

In my opinion, LJ, is doing OK. My sense is he's trying to make us harder to beat, but it's not working at the moment.

We're short of a class midfielder and an attacker that scores regularly at this level - there's £20m right there in today's market.

I’m no LJ fan . I felt he should have been shown the door in the summer and would be happy to see him move on . HOWEVER , right now I do have sympathy for him . Our injuries have been horrendous but far more key to that is selling 4 players for almost £25m and replaced them with numerous but lower quality players for at best around £8m . The club have ZERO ambition to go up and seem to consider this league to be our Premier league .  He’s not been shown the door because I guess he’s not challenging or demanding of the board . No one bar the fans seem to want progression ! 

11 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Unless of course SL isn't serious about wanting promotion in which case LJ is a perfect match

I think he's serious about the club standing on its own two feet more, the sustainability thing. A good aim. But good luck to him achieving that without reaching the PL. And good luck to him reaching the PL with selling your best player/s every summer and replacing them with younger/cheaper players.

Seems very sensible to me to stabilise the club, rather than blowing millions and failing to reach the PL. After last season and summer departures it looked obvious to me that this season would be a re-build, and hopefully next season will be the start of the next step forward. Very ordinary squad right now, looks short of goals, wide players inconsistent, no cover in midfield and defence has its moments.

As for LJ, always the risk that sacking him would de-stabilise things and take us backwards.

He has done an absolutely wonderful job here. I do feel it is time to take a serious look at if he has taken us as far as he can. There are loads of managers that would love this job and I think we should start exploring it. It is not a difficult job either. Play a few young ones and have some around the first team. I genuinely don’t feel LJ can take this side more than midtable and it could probably be slightly better than that. 

1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

Exactly, by whom?

What manager will come here, do a better job than LJ, knowing that we are developing young players to sell them on and won't spent more than circa £15m a year on transfers - IF we sell players...

Mick McCarthy would bite a club’s hand off to be able to spend £15m per year.....his hands were well and truly tied at Ipswich - he spent about a third of that in his entire time at Ipswich .....and he’s got an incredible track record that our current head coach can only dream about....

2 hours ago, longyears said:

I was filled with anger upon seeing those goals go in due to bad errors and I am disappointed now, but let's be honest. The table is accurate, we are where this particular set of players and manager should be...mid-table. I'm making no comment on the wisdom of the prudent approach to our finances but this is what the money we have spent should be expected to achieve.

Now we could have...In fact should have, been 6th, perhaps 5th tonight but this team is not 5th or 6th best in the league.

The approach to finances is the approach that Lansdown is taking, I may not personally think it can work in this day and age but I accept it as his decision. It does however make for incredibly frustrating times. Gone are the days where a slow building of a squad can be achieved - we've already seen players lost in the Summer and I wouldn't blame either club or Kelly if he went THIS Summer for big money.

Instead, we have to hope that a coach can make magic happen with the players he is able to procure, in the hope that we can go up before the best of them are poached. It's all terribly frustrating.

The team today started off so brightly, I enjoyed what I saw; yet, we struggle to score, look dreadfully lacking in midfield and then pow...Drearful errors put the game out of reach and make us rue misses.

I'll continue going to the Gate as always. It's the club I love and I have many friends that I look forward to seeing. The worry I have though is that in this day and age, with the way the game is today,  that we just won't be able to progress wirh this approach to finances and this coach. I like Johnson and am yet to decide whether he's a great coach hamstrung by finances or in fact lacking in certain qualities. It may be that this man could take us up with more money and that another man could take us up with the same money.

Which path do we take?

1 hour ago, Yozzarian said:

I'll continue going to the Gate as always. It's the club I love and I have many friends that I look forward to seeing. The worry I have though is that in this day and age, with the way the game is today,  that we just won't be able to progress wirh this approach to finances and this coach. I like Johnson and am yet to decide whether he's a great coach hamstrung by finances or in fact lacking in certain qualities. It may be that this man could take us up with more money and that another man could take us up with the same money 

Nail on the head for me there mate, fair play 

I reckon this thought/ concern reflects that of many a city fan right now 

There are always going to be supporters on both sides of any discussion re managers or players or styles of play.

However it is very difficult for a manager when his strikers miss open goals ,his goalie/mildfielder/defender in quick succession all screw up to gift the opposition their opening goal.

The players need to stand up and be counted.

LJ is doing as well as his resources allow.

In the current climate of expectation Alan Dicks would never have survived to take us to the promised land in the 70’s,changing managers is not necessarily going to improve things.

Simple q 

Would a side managed by .....let’s say....Chris Wilder......perform in that manner or those of performances such as Rotherham and Wigan.....

Or would Wilder keep picking Paterson or Diedhiou on current performances and in particular desire

The answer is simply

No

They wouldn’t perform with that attitude and if they did wouldn’t be about long

Dont suggest players don’t reflect their manager and his demands if they respect his  authority 

3 hours ago, Baldyman said:

I’m no LJ fan . I felt he should have been shown the door in the summer and would be happy to see him move on . HOWEVER , right now I do have sympathy for him . Our injuries have been horrendous but far more key to that is selling 4 players for almost £25m and replaced them with numerous but lower quality players for at best around £8m . The club have ZERO ambition to go up and seem to consider this league to be our Premier league .  He’s not been shown the door because I guess he’s not challenging or demanding of the board . No one bar the fans seem to want progression ! 

It's complete nonsense to say the club have zero ambition - just look up at the stadium next time we ship a soft goal.

The reality is we can't afford stellar signings (see Wolves last year) and Boro, Villa, Forest etc this year.

When you are looking up also look around - we would never fill the stadium unless we reach the Premier League and it's not big enough to generate the income for the signings I suspect you think show ambition.

That said look at Villa with all their stellar signings - below us in the table.

Archived