IGNORED

12 games in.......What do we have in the cupboard

BobBobSuperBob

So here we are , 12 games in and as many have suggested an early point where we are able to assess

This is my personal honest assessment of where we are and how we look , as a side and some of it’s components and what we have ....or dont

I maybe shouldn’t have done it after that today , but the recent run of performances have been actually significant for me ,

I’ve formed my thoughts over the minimum of the 12 games to date and in some players case , over their time here and consideration as regards any progress / improvement individually

MAENAPPA

A plus. Done all I could have hoped from him , especially as we didn’t spend on him

Can’t think of too many times (once ?) He’s cost us and again today made some vital saves 

HUNT

IMHO can be decent on the ball bombing forward , but more than often to date is not , loses the ball in bad areas causing us danger, poor defender with no sense of danger

spent too much time jogging back into position behind their counter attacks today and in recent games for my liking - 

I’ve said elsewhere £1.7m ..... absolutely no chance on his displays to date and all the signs to date and I’m not convinced he’s better or much better than Pisano 

Not impressed at all to date

KELLY

As an out and out defender he is competent already at this level as long as he keeps his concentration. On the ball composed but unsure how and when to use it (His failings or specific instructions ?) but this will improve 

DESILVA

Not physical or imposing enough to provide too much defensively ,so expected real quality on the ball.  Neat on the ball but real quality or dynamic ? Not for me

Crossing Poor and passing average at best

No threat to LK as LB as far as I can see (Not ideal as LK could do with a break at some point) and not sure what he offers in any great degree - 

Other than ‘a body’ to cover LK can’t really see why we signed him , or him in particular and I’m not sure Chelsea won’t feel the same come Christmas

WEBSTER

Overall think he’s done ok if not better.than that.Odd error but probably our best player today and decent composure and passing ability 

KALAS

Decent / Solid and should help stabilise us when he returns 

BAKER

Never been as sold on him as some.Not sure about his desire or his apparent dramas surrounding injury every game 

Had just said that he looked better today and then he makes a schoolboy error again (And it would have been pathetic at schoolboy level) and any confidence in him disappears again

In reality , for one reason or another , could you ever really trust him ?

PACK

very reliant on Pack and how he plays and how he dictates the game.For those criticising Pack alone this is LJs wishes.

Has improved greatly and doesn’t look in top form atm but their have been threads about him recently where I’ve posted but look at LJs tactics and in particular the lack of movement or shape we have when Pack is in possession with zero options which is certainly not Packs fault 

BROWNHILL

Like his energy but if I’m totally honest not sure where to place him as

defensively not his strength

reasonable passer 

Not sure he offers enough creatively in terms of goals or assists as an attacking midfielder

Combine him and Pack or him and Korey and he’s a very decent Championship Midfielder

He’s ok at this level but if we want anything more than midtable he as a fair few will have to improve / continue to improve ,if you believe he has 

WALSH

we have all had a limited view of him but his credibility in LJs eyes seems to have gone backwards since he arrived.On what I’ve seen decent technique but didn’t offer enough overall at this level to see him clearly carving out a career in Championship on what I’ve seen to date.Another million

in summary , put qualities of our midfield collection in a pot , melt them down and form 2 from all the composite and you would have two upper Championship midfield players - not meant to be disparaging - just what we / they are IMHO

KS & MP if not top end, still our best combo if playing 4-4-2 IMHO 

ELLIASSON / COD / WATKINS

Going to brush over these three as we don’t use any of them as conventional wide players and at times it’s difficult to adjudge them as individuals but my brief thoughts 

Elliasson talented and if we could get the best out of him rather than suffocate him we may have a fine player

LJ doesn’t seem to fully trust or get the best out of COD as it stands and as a regular starter for ROi I can’t see him signing a new contract here when he’s starting intermittently

Watkins- can see the theory of adding physicality by signing him but he doesn’t fit into the alleged pass and move philposophy and his technique is not Championship standard from what I’ve seen and I certainly wouldn’t have considered paying anywhere near a million for him 

WEIMANN

Very good signing for the money.Exactly what I expected.Works extremely hard , unselfish , probably works too hard and unselfish for his own goal return and hence a modest career goals record 

Overall very much a hit for me but not sure he will ever be a 20 goal striker but offers lots more - others need to do their roles as well as he does his

Worryingly he looks to have become visible frustrated at tactics and teammates in last 3 games or so waving his arms and expressing his frustrations which we saw no sign of in first 7 / 8 games

TAYLOR

Like his business , his attitude , including his needle of opposition , his hunger

But in reality is he a Championship striker in terms of technique , goal threat and the business end as a striker.......sorry ....and sadly in many ways ....not for me ....certainly if we want to do anything other than just survive at this level 

PATERSON

A joy to watch when playing well or impacting a game ......

But when’s the last time he did that ......January ?....February ?

Not sure how LJ justifies his inclusion today and overall I thought he added little (Although Tbf a guy I sit with thought he was ok / decent)

Looks like as well as his poor contributions LJ is not sure how to use him or get the best out of him although I’d put more blame at JPs form and performances

Does he work hard enough , on his game, and in the gym ??

not convinced by his hunger / desire

DIDEDHIOU

One of the big dilemnas 

as an opposing centre half you’d look at him and think I’m in for a right old battle this afternoon....but no.....

Punches well below his weight

Technique and touch looks horrendous on occasions , poor at times, average at best at times and very occasionally a flash or two of good or even very good

His finishing is a complete mixed bag - Most or a lot of his finishes are unconvincing / not a finishers finish and he certainly knows how to fluff chances - not a natural finisher but ....then...... as his Thierry Henry quality finish at WBA showed he can produce the very odd moment of ability / quality that don’t fit into the rest of the picture

On paper his goal return is decent and suggests one should be impressed,  but our best form since he arrived came when he was injured and I’m convinced he has an overall detrimental impact on our team play and performance.

What does get to me about him is his lack of willing to impose or compete physically for his size

and in particular his hiding routine , and lack of effort in both making runs , or pressing , getting into shape etc

Unless he’s ridiculously unfit for a professional footballer He’s ....and it won’t sit well with some  ......but he’s. Lazy 

Don’t think we are heading anywhere soon with Famara as our main striker unless we get a whole lot more out of him

THE SQUAD

The back up - I won’t go through each individual but do we have players out or not used atm that can seriously step in and cut it / impact in Championship ?

Or more players who are yet to prove that they can and in which we hope rather than can expect ?

A large squad of ? mediocrity ? at best ?

LEE JOHNSON

Probably better for other threads but 

improvement or repeating flaws and patterns ?

I’d say we / he has gone backwards , as we’ve even lost a noticeable plan / ethos / pattern of play and the selections and tactics change by the game - not a recipe for success in any side I’ve ever known 

We have even reverted to slating the players , and officials as soon as the defeats roll in 

I see no signs of any improvement or learning from mistakes 

Big concern for me is an apparent complete lack of real team spirit (Not suggesting bad harmony just a lack of real togetherness) and a glaring absence of characters and leaders

Today , 2-0 down I watched from player to player ,player to player.... breaks in play.....no one......no one......sorry Incorrect I saw MP issuing encouragement on one occasion .....geeing anyone else up.....organising .....praising......I was going to say communicating ......but there was a bit of waving dismissive arms at each other ....Baker making gestures to Webster about Maenappa and the first goal......not positive ones

I thought we should be able to be comfortable in mid table this season , I didn’t expect more , quietly feared a bit ...or even a lot less

I’ve thought that our performances to date this season have probably justified less points than our total before  today but was just grateful for each point in the bank

I still think we should have enough not to get dragged into any trouble .....but there are some worrying signs and when you go through the squad....or the lack of obvious current plan and tactics or game plan ......I’m not sure I find too much comfort ....

Maybe I’m alone in this ?

I don’t see a plan on the pitch , I continue to doubt the consistency , quality and planning / thinking of our recruitment 

I am in no way convinced that LJ can take us any further or , is improving us , or getting value out of his backing from SL

(I’m comparing him with what I would expect of any reasonable / decent coach at this level with the backing he’s had and the length of time he’s had to date)

We need to start getting more out of some of our players and in some cases a lot more or start becoming ruthless and make changes (But how many more ?)  if we want to progress in any marginal way.  .......

IMHO of course 

I’ve donned my tin hat and protective suit....

No need IMO for the tin hat or protective suit BBSB. For me that’s a decent summary of the individual and collective situation.

When looking back on this season’s performances the headlines for me are.....frightening inconsistency, some woeful defending, not turning possession into goals, lack of communication/leadership all of which adds up to never knowing how we are going to perform and a lack of ‘identity/style’.

Therefore, its looking like being yet another roller-coaster of a season.

4 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

No need IMO for the tin hat or protective suit BBSB. For me that’s a decent summary of the individual and collective situation.

When looking back on this season’s performances the headlines for me are.....frightening inconsistency, some woeful defending, not turning possession into goals, lack of communication/leadership all of which adds up to never knowing how we are going to perform and a lack of ‘identity/style’.

Therefore, its looking like being yet another roller-coaster of a season.

It’s only a ‘splatter’  of thoughts....and some deepe stuff tactically etc

I keep coming back to 

* Recruitment and obtaining vfm

* Getting the best out of individuals both by individual coaching / management , and a game plan that utilises what we do have

I have extreme doubts & opinions about both and still have after 3 years

Tells me what I need to know

Nothing will change though 

Just got back home.

One of those frustrating and deeply annoying games. First half we were ok I thought, and a damned sight better than I had watched on TV against Wigan and Rotherham. Was expecting much more from Sheff We'd to be honest. Created some decent chances, but wasteful finishing.

Then, wham bam 2-0 fron poor defending.

As for the squad, Fammy looks tired, or disinterested, not sure which. Lots of competent players, but no one who can add any star dust. Think your summary is pretty spot on.  We have to many players who have a run of form then a bad run. 

Mid table I would be happy with. Over the last five games, we are not that. If you cannot stick the ball in the net, and have a defensive nightmare once or twice a game, in this league you will be battling at the wrong end very quickly.

Need a win or two quick. Not sure we have the characters for that kind of battle.

42 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

So here we are , 12 games in and as many have suggested an early point where we are able to assess

This is my personal honest assessment of where we are and how we look , as a side and some of it’s components and what we have ....or dont

I maybe shouldn’t have done it after that today , but the recent run of performances have been actually significant for me ,

I’ve formed my thoughts over the minimum of the 12 games to date and in some players case , over their time here and consideration as regards any progress / improvement individually

MAENAPPA

A plus. Done all I could have hoped from him , especially as we didn’t spend on him

Can’t think of too many times (once ?) He’s cost us and again today made some vital saves 

HUNT

IMHO can be decent on the ball bombing forward , but more than often to date is not , loses the ball in bad areas causing us danger, poor defender with no sense of danger

spent too much time jogging back into position behind their counter attacks today and in recent games for my liking - 

I’ve said elsewhere £1.7m ..... absolutely no chance on his displays to date and all the signs to date and I’m not convinced he’s better or much better than Pisano 

Not impressed at all to date

KELLY

As an out and out defender he is competent already at this level as long as he keeps his concentration. On the ball composed but unsure how and when to use it (His failings or specific instructions ?) but this will improve 

DESILVA

Not physical or imposing enough to provide too much defensively ,so expected real quality on the ball.  Neat on the ball but real quality or dynamic ? Not for me

Crossing Poor and passing average at best

No threat to LK as LB as far as I can see (Not ideal as LK could do with a break at some point) and not sure what he offers in any great degree - 

Other than ‘a body’ to cover LK can’t really see why we signed him , or him in particular and I’m not sure Chelsea won’t feel the same come Christmas

WEBSTER

Overall think he’s done ok if not better.than that.Odd error but probably our best player today and decent composure and passing ability 

KALAS

Decent / Solid and should help stabilise us when he returns 

BAKER

Never been as sold on him as some.Not sure about his desire or his apparent dramas surrounding injury every game 

Had just said that he looked better today and then he makes a schoolboy error again (And it would have been pathetic at schoolboy level) and any confidence in him disappears again

In reality , for one reason or another , could you ever really trust him ?

PACK

very reliant on Pack and how he plays and how he dictates the game.For those criticising Pack alone this is LJs wishes.

Has improved greatly and doesn’t look in top form atm but their have been threads about him recently where I’ve posted but look at LJs tactics and in particular the lack of movement or shape we have when Pack is in possession with zero options which is certainly not Packs fault 

BROWNHILL

Like his energy but if I’m totally honest not sure where to place him as

defensively not his strength

reasonable passer 

Not sure he offers enough creatively in terms of goals or assists as an attacking midfielder

Combine him and Pack or him and Korey and he’s a very decent Championship Midfielder

He’s ok at this level but if we want anything more than midtable he as a fair few will have to improve / continue to improve ,if you believe he has 

WALSH

we have all had a limited view of him but his credibility in LJs eyes seems to have gone backwards since he arrived.On what I’ve seen decent technique but didn’t offer enough overall at this level to see him clearly carving out a career in Championship on what I’ve seen to date.Another million

in summary , put qualities of our midfield collection in a pot , melt them down and form 2 from all the composite and you would have two upper Championship midfield players - not meant to be disparaging - just what we / they are IMHO

KS & MP if not top end, still our best combo if playing 4-4-2 IMHO 

ELLIASSON / COD / WATKINS

Going to brush over these three as we don’t use any of them as conventional wide players and at times it’s difficult to adjudge them as individuals but my brief thoughts 

Elliasson talented and if we could get the best out of him rather than suffocate him we may have a fine player

LJ doesn’t seem to fully trust or get the best out of COD as it stands and as a regular starter for ROi I can’t see him signing a new contract here when he’s starting intermittently

Watkins- can see the theory of adding physicality by signing him but he doesn’t fit into the alleged pass and move philposophy and his technique is not Championship standard from what I’ve seen and I certainly wouldn’t have considered paying anywhere near a million for him 

WEIMANN

Very good signing for the money.Exactly what I expected.Works extremely hard , unselfish , probably works too hard and unselfish for his own goal return and hence a modest career goals record 

Overall very much a hit for me but not sure he will ever be a 20 goal striker but offers lots more - others need to do their roles as well as he does his

Worryingly he looks to have become visible frustrated at tactics and teammates in last 3 games or so waving his arms and expressing his frustrations which we saw no sign of in first 7 / 8 games

TAYLOR

Like his business , his attitude , including his needle of opposition , his hunger

But in reality is he a Championship striker in terms of technique , goal threat and the business end as a striker.......sorry ....and sadly in many ways ....not for me ....certainly if we want to do anything other than just survive at this level 

PATERSON

A joy to watch when playing well or impacting a game ......

But when’s the last time he did that ......January ?....February ?

Not sure how LJ justifies his inclusion today and overall I thought he added little (Although Tbf a guy I sit with thought he was ok / decent)

Looks like as well as his poor contributions LJ is not sure how to use him or get the best out of him although I’d put more blame at JPs form and performances

Does he work hard enough , on his game, and in the gym ??

not convinced by his hunger / desire

DIDEDHIOU

One of the big dilemnas 

as an opposing centre half you’d look at him and think I’m in for a right old battle this afternoon....but no.....

Punches well below his weight

Technique and touch looks horrendous on occasions , poor at times, average at best at times and very occasionally a flash or two of good or even very good

His finishing is a complete mixed bag - Most or a lot of his finishes are unconvincing / not a finishers finish and he certainly knows how to fluff chances - not a natural finisher but ....then...... as his Thierry Henry quality finish at WBA showed he can produce the very odd moment of ability / quality that don’t fit into the rest of the picture

On paper his goal return is decent and suggests one should be impressed,  but our best form since he arrived came when he was injured and I’m convinced he has an overall detrimental impact on our team play and performance.

What does get to me about him is his lack of willing to impose or compete physically for his size

and in particular his hiding routine , and lack of effort in both making runs , or pressing , getting into shape etc

Unless he’s ridiculously unfit for a professional footballer He’s ....and it won’t sit well with some  ......but he’s. Lazy 

Don’t think we are heading anywhere soon with Famara as our main striker unless we get a whole lot more out of him

THE SQUAD

The back up - I won’t go through each individual but do we have players out or not used atm that can seriously step in and cut it / impact in Championship ?

Or more players who are yet to prove that they can and in which we hope rather than can expect ?

A large squad of ? mediocrity ? at best ?

LEE JOHNSON

Probably better for other threads but 

improvement or repeating flaws and patterns ?

I’d say we / he has gone backwards , as we’ve even lost a noticeable plan / ethos / pattern of play and the selections and tactics change by the game - not a recipe for success in any side I’ve ever known 

We have even reverted to slating the players , and officials as soon as the defeats roll in 

I see no signs of any improvement or learning from mistakes 

Big concern for me is an apparent complete lack of real team spirit (Not suggesting bad harmony just a lack of real togetherness) and a glaring absence of characters and leaders

Today , 2-0 down I watched from player to player ,player to player.... breaks in play.....no one......no one......sorry Incorrect I saw MP issuing encouragement on one occasion .....geeing anyone else up.....organising .....praising......I was going to say communicating ......but there was a bit of waving dismissive arms at each other ....Baker making gestures to Webster about Maenappa and the first goal......not positive ones

I thought we should be able to be comfortable in mid table this season , I didn’t expect more , quietly feared a bit ...or even a lot less

I’ve thought that our performances to date this season have probably justified less points than our total before  today but was just grateful for each point in the bank

I still think we should have enough not to get dragged into any trouble .....but there are some worrying signs and when you go through the squad....or the lack of obvious current plan and tactics or game plan ......I’m not sure I find too much comfort ....

Maybe I’m alone in this ?

I don’t see a plan on the pitch , I continue to doubt the consistency , quality and planning / thinking of our recruitment 

I am in no way convinced that LJ can take us any further or , is improving us , or getting value out of his backing from SL

(I’m comparing him with what I would expect of any reasonable / decent coach at this level with the backing he’s had and the length of time he’s had to date)

We need to start getting more out of some of our players and in some cases a lot more or start becoming ruthless and make changes (But how many more ?)  if we want to progress in any marginal way.  .......

IMHO of course 

I’ve donned my tin hat and protective suit....

Can’t disagree with any of that , no real sign of going forwards but a big hint of going backwards, starting to get fed up and abit worried .

@BobBobSuperBob

A very fair assessment. FWIW, I don’t think the recruitment has been horrible but we don’t get the best out of our recruits. You look at Brentford for example, they seem to bring in new players and slot them in seamlessly. Watkins, Konsa, Canos, Odubajo and Maupay all come in and within half a season starring for them. That is our problem, I don’t think we give most of ours the chance. We chop and change constantly and no one can ever find any ryhthm. We need a starting XI and stick with it. Making a change or two on a Tuesday when we have 3 games in a week. 

Lack of team spirit is a big, fat warning sign for me.

Cotterill built a magnificent team ethic which you could see in the promotion season. Of course winning most weeks helps build that. However you could see a definite bond amongst the group.

I don't see any evidence of that now. OK Lee would say it's a new team who are still getting to know eachother. Just don't see any real mutual support going on. When Kalas was injured no-one really seemed to take much notice.

I do wonder if LJ has any idea how to build that team spirit or if it is even on his radar.

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

@BobBobSuperBob

A very fair assessment. FWIW, I don’t think the recruitment has been horrible but we don’t get the best out of our recruits. You look at Brentford for example, they seem to bring in new players and slot them in seamlessly. Watkins, Konsa, Canos, Odubajo and Maupay all come in and within half a season starring for them. That is our problem, I don’t think we give most of ours the chance. We chop and change constantly and no one can ever find any ryhthm. We need a starting XI and stick with it. Making a change or two on a Tuesday when we have 3 games in a week. 

Thanks Joe

Its a straight personal assessment

As for your comments I think it’s more down to our recruitment but the integration point you raise also paramount 

Brentford sign Ollie Watkins

We sign Marley

We could have afforded either

Enough said

I see the midfielder who won the MOM against Leeds theyve only just signed and cost them a Million , and is already influencing *ames

They rarely spend more than 1 or 2 million

Maupay was one or two million at most 

If a Club offered us our money back on

off top of my head.....

Hunt

Watkins

Diedhiou

Baker

Would people take it .......

I think I would,in every case

Trouble is I don't think we will have anyone to cash in on this season, that will no doubt p SL off.

LJ has wasted many millions on some very poor signings and we will no doubt finish lower than last season, this may move SL into action, unfortunately for us this will only bring in a like minded manager to carry on his plan.

So in the cupboard is........SAME OLD, SAME OLD

18 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thanks Joe

Its a straight personal assessment

As for your comments I think it’s more down to our recruitment but the integration point you raise also paramount 

Brentford sign Ollie Watkins

We sign Marley

We could have afforded either

Enough said

I see the midfielder who won the MOM against Leeds theyve only just signed and cost them a Million , and is already influencing *ames

They rarely spend more than 1 or 2 million

Maupay was one or two million at most 

If a Club offered us our money back on

off top of my head.....

Hunt

Watkins

Diedhiou

Baker

Would people take it .......

I think I would,in every case

True and I only mean it in a way that a different manager would probably get more out of the likes of Brownhill, O’Dowda and Eliasson as they are good players. Agree about Hunt, Baker, Diedhiou and Watkins though. I’d take our money back in a second. Though Watkins pretty much always baffled me. At least the others have performed or seemed upgrades at the time of signing

37 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

* Recruitment and obtaining vfm

Thats exactly LJs remit - working within SLs transfer strategy. I posted on another thread that LJ is working with one hand tied behind his back.

* Getting the best out of individuals both by individual coaching / management , and a game plan that utilises what we do have

Thats down to LJ and his coaching team who are all quite aware of the need to get the maximum from the squad they have. They’ll know what strengths/weaknesses  each player has and the formation/tactics that suits them. Remember these coaches work the squad virtually every day and will obviously have a far deeper knowledge of them individually that us fans.

I  have extreme doubts & opinions about both and still have after 3 years.

SLs strategy is a long term plan. He knows and we know that it’ll take several seasons for it to bear fruition. All SL wants is evidence of progress season on season.

Nothing will change though.

You’re right there BobbobSuperBob unless of course City  are struggling at the wrong end of the table come April/May. Then and only then SL might act

You’re right there BobbobSuperBob 

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

To say he’s working with one hand behind his back (financially) is simply laughable

Getting the best out of players individually or as part of a unit - Who ? who is he getting above career par performances from ?

Im struggling to find one so all their time they have on training pitch and foreign training camps looks on the whole completely ineffective from what I see

he needs to bin the lap top and his copy of Championship Manager

Very good assement post.

Is it the board or is it LJ. I agree with another poster that recruitment has been poor. 

Are we a bit like Newcastle United at the moment, it's as if we've spent conservatively whilst selling our better players for good money.

Last January was perfect time to roll the dice splash some cash on proven players but it never happened.

Maybe a wage structure needs to be looked at so we can attract the right players and reach the next level

@BobBobSuperBob, a very fair assessment but also not an easy read. I particularly think you are dead right with your Diedhiou comments. 

I don’t want to change the Manager, but find myself asking if another manager would/could get more out of the squad, have they got what it takes? Or would LJ get more out of a different group of players?  A pretty pointless question I know as they are his players, but I just don’t feel we have the blend right yet. Is it LJ, the players?  A bit of both I think is nearer the truth. 

Yes we obviously have injuries, we are yet to see two Summer recruits. We didn’t bank on losing Korey, we didn’t think Wright would be out for months either, Kalas was a freak injury, the list goes on. 

We lost (sold)  3 pretty much ever present players in the window, one of them being our top scorer. We failed to replace Doric, who although didn’t play much he was a different type of striker, we also lost a lot of aerial presence when Flint left. 

42 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

To say he’s working with one hand behind his back (financially) is simply laughable

Hmmm......it’s laughable that you think it’s laughable.......perhaps that’s because you don’t fully grasp what SLs strategy is?

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Hmmm......it’s laughable that you think it’s laughable.......perhaps that’s because you don’t fully grasp what SLs strategy is?

Really 

Where does his hands tied sit when it comes to wasting large chunks of the oh so tight budget ? 

Part of SLs strategy that you think you understand ?

Maybe SL should give Matthew Bentham , or Tony Bloom a ring for a bit of guidance

Neither of whom would have appointed LJ in a million years

Quite funny that you see yourself as a preacher of SLs flawed philosophy as it must be the only thing you (Possibly) get right  about our players or Club or what’s going on 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Really 

Where does his hands tied sit when it comes to wasting large chunks of the oh so tight budget ? 

Part of SLs strategy that you think you understand ?

You’re back tracking Bob.....trying to get me to explain what SLs strategy is as clearly you don’t know..............:cool2:

@BobBobSuperBob very fair assessment, I think you toned it down a bit though! ?

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

True and I only mean it in a way that a different manager would probably get more out of the likes of Brownhill, O’Dowda and Eliasson as they are good players. Agree about Hunt, Baker, Diedhiou and Watkins though. I’d take our money back in a second. Though Watkins pretty much always baffled me. At least the others have performed or seemed upgrades at the time of signing

These 3 are the players that LJ’s recruitment will live or die by...possibly adding in Taylor Moore too, but not Walsh (for the time being.  Forget Diedhiou, Baker and Webster (our big money signings).  A club like City ought to be able to attract very promising youngsters from clubs less attractive than us.

Brownhill - tribunal only - has done decently overall, but I am not sure he’ll be the next £5m player as it stands.  I like him, but needs to be less rushed around the 18 yard box

O’Dowda - worried.  Contract runs out in summer, RoI international, but apart from a 6-8 game spell pre-injury last season has flattered to deceive.  I’m not convinced of his football brain (albeit far better than Kent’s) to become the player we expected him to become.  I do wonder now that he’s in and out, even Pato getting starts, whether he’ll let his contract run down.  That would be a disaster for LJ if that happened!

Eliasson - delayed start to his first team career.  Kick-started and now in danger of stalling.  Showed he can be a player.  Jury out at the mo’.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

@BobBobSuperBob, a very fair assessment but also not an easy read. I particularly think you are dead right with your Diedhiou comments. 

I don’t want to change the Manager, but find myself asking if another manager would/could get more out of the squad, have they got what it takes? Or would LJ get more out of a different group of players?  A pretty pointless question I know as they are his players, but I just don’t feel we have the blend right yet. Is it LJ, the players?  A bit of both I think is nearer the truth. 

Yes we obviously have injuries, we are yet to see two Summer recruits. We didn’t bank on losing Korey, we didn’t think Wright would be out for months either, Kalas was a freak injury, the list goes on. 

We lost (sold)  3 pretty much ever present players in the window, one of them being our top scorer. We failed to replace Doric, who although didn’t play much he was a different type of striker, we also lost a lot of aerial presence when Flint left. 

I’m the same, but I ask the same questions.  He’s a smashing bloke, loves the club...I want him to succeed.  I also have to question what Holden (another top bloke) and Macca (never spoken to him) are adding or doing to support him.

I would love to spend a week at Failand, just observing what goes on.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@BobBobSuperBob very fair assessment, I think you toned it down a bit though! ?

These 3 are the players that LJ’s recruitment will live or die by...possibly adding in Taylor Moore too, but not Walsh (for the time being.  Forget Diedhiou, Baker and Webster (our big money signings).  A club like City ought to be able to attract very promising youngsters from clubs less attractive than us.

Brownhill - tribunal only - has done decently overall, but I am not sure he’ll be the next £5m player as it stands.  I like him, but needs to be less rushed around the 18 yard box

O’Dowda - worried.  Contract runs out in summer, RoI international, but apart from a 6-8 game spell pre-injury last season has flattered to deceive.  I’m not convinced of his football brain (albeit far better than Kent’s) to become the player we expected him to become.  I do wonder now that he’s in and out, even Pato getting starts, whether he’ll let his contract run down.  That would be a disaster for LJ if that happened!

Eliasson - delayed start to his first team career.  Kick-started and now in danger of stalling.  Showed he can be a player.  Jury out at the mo’.

I’m the same, but I ask the same questions.  He’s a smashing bloke, loves the club...I want him to succeed.  I also have to question what Holden (another top bloke) and Macca (never spoken to him) are adding or doing to support him.

I would love to spend a week at Failand, just observing what goes on.

I’d distance myself from me tonight mate !! ;) 

Im on one grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:laughcont:

Ii probably did tone it down a bit mate 

Seen enough of repeated things

There’s some that need to buck up quickly or weed out 

Give me some time and expenses and I’ll find you two dozen right backs better than Hunt for £1.7 million 

And Diedhiou , Id Be lining up his replacement now

Theres two....as a starter .....give me the money back in them and I’d bite your arm off

Feel sorry for Marlon Pack @Davefevs as per our conversations - he’s not on top form himself today epitomised the lack of movement and options he’s facing with players noticeably hiding - keptvwatching and chewing over our discussions

Hes clearly LJs man to orchestrate and been given that role and responsibility But is being given nigh on nil help from Johnson or his teammates and you can see the increasing pressure on him personally growing and growing whilst he tries to battle his own form - We are in danger of giving him a real knock backwards 

I’m sure his form must be affected by the total responsibility on him to orchestrate 

To be fair to those criticising him so loudly - despite the pressure , the situation at 2-0 down, the fact that he wasn’t having a great game he kept going and going and late in Game Still was brave enough , and good enough to play a 40-50 yard ball perfectly out to DaSilva

At one time (Under SC) he drove me insane and wouldn’t have been in my side so I can’t believe I’m having to stick up for him so vociferously but he’s still one of our very best players IMHO and a complete scapegoat atm  

Always likely to be a tough season after losing 3 key players. I’m not convinced by our ‘clever’ formations, our better performances have been using a bog standard 4-4-2 with wide players staying wide. Was a tad exposed at WBA, but at least it’s had some success.

At some point, getting a few of the younger players near the first team might be an idea, rather than just never-ending loans.

To me, it’s a very ordinary looking squad, no obvious first XI, and looks short of goals (Flint, Bryan, Reid is a lot to replace). Personally I rate COD, think his pace and direct running adds a dimension to our game. Then again, we have 3 £1m wingers on our books, so LJ picks an inexperienced left back instead, leaving them all on the bench. Unsurprisingly, the first half just by-passed him!

We are exactly where SL and JL want us to be - in the Championship.

We can't go up as the carrot for a new buyer is the Prem, and we can't go down as that takes the carrot away.

SL will do what he has to do to keep us in the Champ in the Jan window - or as last year if by some fluke we are challenging at the top - as little.

Nice new Arena, and first lot of houses going up.

Must be at about stage 3 of the exit plan. Bristol Sport will keep BCFC in the Champ until the whole shebang is sold. 

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

Very good assement post.

Is it the board or is it LJ. I agree with another poster that recruitment has been poor. 

Are we a bit like Newcastle United at the moment, it's as if we've spent conservatively whilst selling our better players for good money.

Last January was perfect time to roll the dice splash some cash on proven players but it never happened.

Maybe a wage structure needs to be looked at so we can attract the right players and reach the next level

The Board is conspicuous by its absence.  The buck stops with SL and the infrastructure he has overseen with creation of BS.

The biggest criticism I have is that with all this technology we use I fear that we may be making things too complicated. 

I'm not even sure of criticism is the right word because long term I totally agree with the approach but in the short term I do think it's taken the players a while to take on board all the information they get given and to implement that into their game. Maybe the players we have simply don't have the skillset to take on board all the information and put it into practice when the pressure is on? 

It could simply be one of those things where you have just have to give it time but sometimes I do wish we could go back to basics when needed.

Archived