IGNORED

Love Matt Taylor

Meh

Sorry - not going to join in the doom and gloom implosion.

His attitude is spot on and he is such a horrible nause of a person.

Could become a cult hero here with his desire to wind up anybody and everybody.

We need to find a way to get him on the ball more - great touch and pass but currently isolated too often. Provided he starts cos he makes me laugh.

Seems to me that Taylor is a better thinker than most of his teammates. Frequently today I saw him make a burst into space only whilst the player in possession takes a longer look around for a pass. Often got frustrated when he was left open and the ball didn't come his way. But then, that's been the story most of this season.

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Like his attitude 

But he’s not good enough to cut it as a striker in Championship IMHO

A shame but the reality

He's coming too deep half the time. Frustration at chances not being made. I agree he needs goals, but this is true of everybody at the club

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Like his attitude 

But he’s not good enough to cut it as a striker in Championship IMHO

A shame but the reality

Exactly.

One to keep hold of should we go down, but clearly not a goalscorer at this level.

His laudable attitude on the pitch isn't enough to mask his deficiencies at this level.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Exactly.

One to keep hold of should we go down, but clearly not a goalscorer at this level.

His laudable attitude on the pitch isn't enough to mask his deficiencies at this level.

Far less annoyed with those like him that give what they’ve got but just don’t have the quality required to impact this level

rather than those (And we had a few today) who could be much better and much more impactive if they had anywhere near his /  the same desire 

Ultimately neither type will progress us 

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Far less annoyed with those like him that give what they’ve got but just don’t have the quality required to impact this level

rather than those (And we had a few today) who could be much better and much more impactive if they had anywhere near his /  the same desire 

Ultimately neither type will progress us 

Yep, every single player should be showing Matty Taylor's desire.

The fact he often stands out for it, and is therefore so acclaimed for it, is a worry because it reflects negatively on many others.

35 minutes ago, Neo said:

Sorry - not going to join in the doom and gloom implosion.

His attitude is spot on and he is such a horrible nause of a person.

Could become a cult hero here with his desire to wind up anybody and everybody.

We need to find a way to get him on the ball more - great touch and pass but currently isolated too often. Provided he starts cos he makes me laugh.

If he was still down AG under the floodlights right this very minute and on his own I still don’t think he could score. I like him too but I think the amusement may wear thin when we plummet down the table 

29 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

He's coming too deep half the time.

In fairness, Fammy did that too, today - a sure sign that the team is not getting things flowing when in possession and getting it forward well. Strikers picking up the ball in the centre circle is a slightly desperate signal.

I think Taylor is a good player but needs to be with the right teammates. The partnership with Fammy is not one that often produces results; a big man knocking it down to him would be a decent one, but playing with a teammate that can read the game as well would be far better. A 'pest' works best with another player causing the main headache up front.

I note the comments about ‘striker’ in regards to Taylor. I’m personally not a fan of the term, as it clearly implies frequent goal scorer and I don’t see Taylor as that.

He is very definitely a forward player as opposed to a defender or defensive midfielder but I have thought the way we use him has been because of a lack of other options or just plain wrong.

I see Taylor as not an out and out striker, but as a player that plays behind a forward or pair of forwards and picks up some stuff in second ball and more importantly finds a pass or a touch.

It is clear Pack is off form and we need to find another way and the only guy that seems universally above criticism and playing consistently well is Taylor.

3412 would be how I would see it until further options come along if we actually want to score some goals

Completely wrote him off after Plymouth as was shocking. Great attitude but Matt Taylor is a striker and will and rightly get judged for goals scored & record isn’t great for us. I hope he can add goals as so want him to succeed but not sure he can

I love Matty too, but I do wonder if he is in the wrong team/wrong set-up/team-mates. As others have said he seems to read the game well but the others don't appear to respond (quickly enough). He's a bit like Brett Pitman in that respect.

I think he might be better playing behind the strikers, because he is such a pest.

Really grown on me as his attitude and actual ability has improved so much , only fear is lj turned bobby from midfielder into striker ,Taylor is dropping deeper and deeper and looking more like a midfielder ,

Jan we need a goalscorer but they cost 10mill plus we won't spend that so like today we will lose/draw games we should be winning easily due to poor finishing .

Like him. A lot. Not quite sure why though.

This is the conondrum that is Matty Taylor.

We clearly aren’t set up to play to his strengths. If, indeed, he has strengths as a Championship striker.  

Have we enough quality and strength in midfield to play him behind two strikers? Don’t think so. 

Tricky one as we look a better, more balanced, side with him on. Perhaps that’s more an indictment of the rest of the squad and management though. 

Archived