IGNORED

LJ AGAIN

Langford Red

10 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

OTIB always has meltdowns when we lose, and

Colin is a bellend - c’mon mate - we all know this 

Both Factual i think you will find 

Nope those comments are not factual - Warnock’s media theatrics are a million miles away from his real, private personality, read the posts from those on here who have met him whilst on hols etc - he is just an incredibly well-rehearsed expert at manipulating media outlets to ensure the attention stays on him and not him his players...tired of saying that on here, have done it loads, but never mind. And also Warnock has praised our club many times in interviews and in print...he has called us a “proper club with great fans” and when asked about abuse he receives during games he has replied with sound bites such as “Yeh, but it’s nothing up to what I get at Ashton Gate” and he also said, when asked about how he’d like to be remembered, that he expected “a minute’s booing at Bristol City” - Neil Warnock is a proper character, he has a great sense of humour and he is incredibly successful at his job - it’s obvious he just loves to make people hate him because he knows they don’t ‘get it’ and they fall for his media act - he must laugh himself to sleep each night knowing he has made people like you call him a ‘bellend’ - job done NW...

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nope those comments are not factual - Warnock’s media theatrics are a million miles away from his real, private personality, read the posts from those on here who have met him whilst on hols etc - he is just an incredibly well-rehearsed expert at manipulating media outlets to ensure the attention stays on him and not him his players...tired of saying that on here, have done it loads, but never mind. And also Warnock has praised our club many times in interviews and in print...he has called us a “proper club with great fans” and when asked about abuse he receives during games he has replied with sound bites such as “Yeh, but it’s nothing up to what I get at Ashton Gate” and he also said, when asked about how he’d like to be remembered, that he expected “a minute’s  booing at Bristol City” - Neil Warnock is a proper character, he has a great sense of humour and he is incredibly successful at his job - it’s obvious he just loves to make people hate him because he knows they don’t ‘get it’ and they fall for his media act - he must laugh himself to sleep each night knowing he has made people like you call him a ‘bellend’ - job done NW...

Maybe he calls him a bellend because Warnock loves winding us up? Is that not enough for some people to get all rowdy? 

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Funny how notable posters only post moans about moans

No actual football points or explanations , debate...ever

Just the usual ‘ what a great fan I am I don’t complain everything is good’ 

:yes:

Tell you the truth Bob, I just get sick of the moaning, full stop.  I had two blokes behind me yesterday who moaned non-stop from the first minute, and only stopped when one left (five minutes before the end of the match, as usual, whatever the result).  I go to football to be entertained and to have a good experience and I can do without having it spoilt by two geezers who don't have a good word to say about anything.  Winning isn't the be all and end all for me - I thought we played well in the first half yesterday and fell behind to a very dubious goal, then went to pieces, but had a decent go at clawing it back at the end.  So we lost 2-1.  Life goes on.  Then I come on to OTIB and there is nothing but blame, blame, blame (all with the benefit of hindsight of course).  I just don't understand why some people seem to get such a kick out of moaning, because let's be clear, some people seem to enjoy it.  There was a glorious moment yesterday when, after the blokes behind had written off Pack in pretty much every way possible, he produced a glorious pass (albeit he didn't produce many of them yesterday).  How did they react?  Silence.  Not part of the game plan you see.  They only seem to be able to express themselves when we are doing badly, and there seem a few people on this forum who are the same.  And as someone who has managed for most of my adult life (and is presently thinking about retirement) the vitriol aimed at Lee Johnson, and the way the the players are absolved from all responsibility, makes me despair.

I blame Bill Shankly.  His infamous "Football's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that" soundbite (and he was good at those, whether they made any sense or not) seems to have infected the modern game.  After all, at the end of the day it is only a game. 

24 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Tell you the truth Bob, I just get sick of the moaning, full stop.  I had two blokes behind me yesterday who moaned non-stop from the first minute, and only stopped when one left (five minutes before the end of the match, as usual, whatever the result).  I go to football to be entertained and to have a good experience and I can do without having it spoilt by two geezers who don't have a good word to say about anything.  Winning isn't the be all and end all for me - I thought we played well in the first half yesterday and fell behind to a very dubious goal, then went to pieces, but had a decent go at clawing it back at the end.  So we lost 2-1.  Life goes on.  Then I come on to OTIB and there is nothing but blame, blame, blame (all with the benefit of hindsight of course).  I just don't understand why some people seem to get such a kick out of moaning, because let's be clear, some people seem to enjoy it.  There was a glorious moment yesterday when, after the blokes behind had written off Pack in pretty much every way possible, he produced a glorious pass (albeit he didn't produce many of them yesterday).  How did they react?  Silence.  Not part of the game plan you see.  They only seem to be able to express themselves when we are doing badly, and there seem a few people on this forum who are the same.  And as someone who has managed for most of my adult life (and is presently thinking about retirement) the vitriol aimed at Lee Johnson, and the way the the players are absolved from all responsibility, makes me despair.

I blame Bill Shankly.  His infamous "Football's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that" soundbite (and he was good at those, whether they made any sense or not) seems to have infected the modern game.  After all, at the end of the day it is only a game. 

How. Ironic you should highlight this particular pass

Ive highlighted this very moment on another thread , praised Pack, and the reaction of some around me ,to Marlon Pack , 

interesting to then know who your claim of  ‘They only seem to be able to express themselves when we are doing badly, and there seem a few people on this forum who are the same’

Maybe you should only read the Forum when things are going well as there was/is/will be lots of praise and good debate then too

As I recall saying to you before , you wouldn’t dare utter a single part blame at LJ if he microwaved your cat

Bristol City FC should not be LJs apprenticeship experimental toy

As a ‘manager’ it sounds as if you simply blamed your staff.......figures

Meanwhile....Johnson blamed.........the linesman 

If you actually read the threads after yesterday there are many good points being made by (other) posters

Im amazed you’ve watched football so long suffering surrounded by. Moaners and idiots 

Maybe others are a bit more interested , and passionate than you and your wife are 

13 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Should have brought Djuric on.

Oh hang on ......  we sold him.

Should have pushed Flint up.

Oh hang on we sold him too.

...  and then we bought erm...... to replace them. So we’ve a bevy of crossers but no one to head the crosses in. Genius. 

I thought the same thing in the second half but in fairness Djuric probably would have been unavailable due to injury.

11 hours ago, Robbored said:

Just watched his post match comments and like plenty of managers  LJ moaned about the officials, in this case the linesman who he thought had missed a blatant offside.............shock, horror........:shocking:

Don't know why, it wasn't offside, Baker played him on, fool

11 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Some people are saying they saw him barge into the lino at FT

Sounds like it's got to him a bit today

Blaming the officials today would be grossly unfair imo

The team was ineffective, non productive and pedestrian.

The image of their coach as a player.

Wednesday were very very ordinary so it isn't going to get any easier.

The officials didn't lose us the game and I thought the ref was one of the best down AG in ages.

Fans have moaned about the game since the day it was invented. The only difference now is that with the advancements in technology, complaints reach a wider audience. I remember my brother telling me about when he went to watch Joe Royle's debut for City against Boro, where he scored 4 goals. As he left the ground, he was bemused at the two fans walking in front of him, who complained nonstop about the one chance that JR missed!

21 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

The team was ineffective, non productive and pedestrian.

The image of their coach as a player.

Wednesday were very very ordinary so it isn't going to get any easier.

The officials didn't lose us the game and I thought the ref was one of the best down AG in ages.

Sounds just like his dad......I posted not long ago that I was worried that LJ is becoming like Senior.........:facepalm:

That said - It was Bannan that made a significant difference, particularly in the second 45. He was everywhere and the type of midfielder City just don’t have.

It was the Owls fans who were frustrated by the ref. They felt aggrieved that he was awarding us the majority of his decisions which tbf he was......LJ was frustrated by the lino, not the ref.

12 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

This is true

Although I am adamant that Colin is a massive bellend and won’t budge on this ?

To be fair, you know what you like and what you don't like, and are not going to deviate from your opinion on this forum. I think this is admirable, and possibly hidden somewhere in your genetic makeup. Possibly Mr and Mrs Tony have given us a clue .

13 hours ago, Float'n Over said:

Have to say that disappointed me, expect that sort of thing from Warnock, a glare would have been sufficient, LJ should have just left it; reminded me of the day Scott Davidson walked across a muddy pitch after a game against Sunderland ? in posh shoes just to moan at the ref.

Clarke's ? 

Or Hush Puppies perhaps ? 

These are the questions that need answering .

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

The game is the game . All that surrounds the club , results , progress, failed planning permission, player banned for spitting etc becomes part of who we are as people.

Supporting a certain club speaks of who a person is .

Someone who " supports " Manchester City since they were bought out ( sold out ) and has never been to Manchester but lives in Bristol is not the same type of person who follows the Gas for example. 

Just a ' game ' is when a City supporter watches any other match where they are not involved or affected. 

Watching City is family , love , warts n all.

When your kid fails an exam because he didn't prepare or work hard enough how do you feel ?

When he excels in a particular field how do you feel ?

That is why it's not ' just a game ' .

I wish it was as simple as that. Why do I feel pain when we lose or joy when we win ? 

It's illogical but it exists. 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

How. Ironic you should highlight this particular pass

Ive highlighted this very moment on another thread , praised Pack, and the reaction of some around me ,to Marlon Pack , 

interesting to then know who your claim of  ‘They only seem to be able to express themselves when we are doing badly, and there seem a few people on this forum who are the same’

Maybe you should only read the Forum when things are going well as there was/is/will be lots of praise and good debate then too

As I recall saying to you before , you wouldn’t dare utter a single part blame at LJ if he microwaved your cat

Bristol City FC should not be LJs apprenticeship experimental toy

As a ‘manager’ it sounds as if you simply blamed your staff.......figures

Meanwhile....Johnson blamed.........the linesman 

If you actually read the threads after yesterday there are many good points being made by (other) posters

Im amazed you’ve watched football so long suffering surrounded by. Moaners and idiots 

Maybe others are a bit more interested , and passionate than you and your wife are 

Interesting take, that all this represents passion.  I don't know - I think I'm as passionate as the next person (I've been following City for over 50 years, so something must have clicked) but where I disconnect is with the 'success at all costs' mentality.  I've been part of this forum since it started, but I don't think I've always felt it was the way it is now -  the meltdowns now seem more kneejerk than they once were, but then we are living in different times.  One thing that is causing significant issues for Generation Z, as they are known, is the inability to deal with failure.  Young people are geared up to compete and to succeed, and anything short of success is unacceptable and often something that can be a real problem.  This is part of the issue with the growing incidence of mental health reporting amongst young people - this is an area I know something about professionally - and in my sector we are trying to get young people to understand what they perceive as failure, and to appreciate is an essential and often positive side of life.  There is no doubt in my mind that over years this forum has become more geared towards success being the only goal, and issues abotu the sort of football we are watching and the pleasure we get from following City seem to have taken second place.  Everything seems to be about progress towards something that is hard to define, in an industry that is unrelentingly cruel to anyone  who is not seen to be succeeding, and patience no longer seems to be a virtue.

Sometimes I'm amazed that I've lasted as long as I have too, but City is part of my life which won't go away and of course when things are going well, the moaners tend to be quieter and the experience improves as a result.  The majority of people around me yesterday were pretty positive up until the 60th minute, and then shell-shocked into silence beyond that.  I didn't want a stand up row with blokes behind me at the match yesterday, so at least this forum gives me the opportunity to state my position, which I value.  I find the older I get the more I think (eventually) "You win some, you lose some" and the less I feel suicidal when things don't go our way (even though, like everyone else, it take a good few hours to get over the disappointment of a bad performance). 

32 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

One thing that is causing significant issues for Generation Z, as they are known, is the inability to deal with failure.  Young people are geared up to compete and to succeed, and anything short of success is unacceptable and often something that can be a real problem. 

Good post - I found myself walking away yesterday frustrated but largely ambivalent (I honestly find it harder to get angry after these ridiculous Sunday fixtures, the weekend is almost gone, it's not like it can spoil your Saturday). As a result I gave OTIB a wide berth as I didn't really see any value in depressing myself.

However on your point above, it's nonsense to say that knee-jerk or negative reactions are the domain of one generation - they certainly aren't, and even if they were, if I was younger, I'd be the same, it's not inability to deal with failure, it's a generation full of armchair TV fan peers ramming success down their throats.

So I can understand the impatience among that generation when surrounded by young people in their age group and across social channels who do nothing but talk about how amazing the Prem is and the teams that they "support". By comparison it must be easy to become impatient with loyalty to a local team.

On the subject of City's current form and LJ - I said after the Sheff Utd game (4th straight win, against a form side, after the international break - it had all the ingredients) that I was now all in on Lee Johnson. So it's comically inevitable that bar half an hour right after at West Brom, the whole thing has fallen to pieces.

And it's the usual format too. A few players lose confidence and form, LJ goes into a complete tailspin of not trusting half the team and swapping them from fixture to fixture looking for a magic combination, neglecting the one thing that should be consistent: style of play. I couldn't even tell you what ours is now.

So here we are without any identity (what emerged during the winning run has disappeared overnight), outplayed in style of football terms by the likes of Wigan and Rotherham, and (based on repeated adjustments) blaming it all on our far too expendable array of wingers: start 2, sub 2, start other 2, sub 2 (repeat etc). 

At the heart of it for me is a) accommodating Diedhiou, having had more fluid and adaptable winger/forward combinations drifting between the lines prior to his return & b) Pack's total loss of form as a creator, with no plan B from LJ and no leadership or sense of responsibility from players around him to fill the void.

I know injuries haven't helped, but it doesn't say much for our preparation for consistently employing a style of play this season that LJ's only answer is to keep switching the line up. He does not back his players to come good. And don't forget the tweaking came before the downturn in results - Wigan a case in point.

Nonetheless it's too soon to be all doom and gloom, it may be the poorest opening tally of LJ's 3 seasons (16 points in 12 games vs 21 and 20 previously), but it's still ahead of where I thought we'd be early on this season with so many new players. Yesterday was just annoying with the chance to go into the top six.

The only concern for me is that LJ still has no Plan B (we don't even have lump it to Flint or Djuric as an option anymore) and his adjustments seem to consist only of simply perming 2 wingers from 4. When you consider Eliasson was the stand out player of the first month or so, this approach has turned flair into fear.

Taken from a recent interview with LJ about his career...

I always knew, though, that at some point in my career, if it was going to be successful, I wanted to manage my old club, Bristol City.

That was always the dream.

After a spell with Barnsley, I came to Bristol with another plan. This one, to build an identity that runs all the way through the football club, and to be here for as long as I can.

That’s not always easy in football, but I think you have to treat this job like you’re going to be here forever – but know that you could be gone tomorrow.

In my first full season as Bristol City manager, we went through a really difficult spell. Results weren’t good. It was the worst run in the league in the club’s history.

We had some internal feud problems within the squad – the sort of stuff you can’t go public with at the time. As the manager, you have to be the shield. My job is to take those punches on the nose for the greater good.

Performances weren’t as bad as the results, but we’d recruited young talent and with that sometimes comes low self-esteem. When you’re going well, it’s great. But when you’re not, it can be a problem.

Confidence levels can drop. It was up to myself and the staff to see us through that period. To retain the focus and the belief, and continue to work hard.

We had to make some tough decisions – but, eventually, the tide turned.

Sometimes the decisions you make are for the greater good, not just for the short-term. We’re a club that’s desperately trying to nurture and develop our young players. One that doesn’t have the luxury of having proven decision-makers in their prime.

It’s something that’s quite enjoyable, actually, because when you see the work put in on the training ground come to fruition on the pitch and win you games, it gives you a great feeling.

The other day, I watched a video of our Under-12s scoring four goals against Cardiff, and every one of their goals was in the same pressing style we’re playing in the first-team. That’s the stuff people don’t see.

That’s the stuff that shows the identity building is well under way.

And I’ve got a front-row seat to all of it. That was always the dream.....

What I've witnessed in recent games, is the identity that LJ is trying to instil at the Club...the 'high energy pressing style'.... is somewhat lethargic. It's not until we go behind that we actually start playing with energy and speed.

This is where I feel we have a problem.

We keep possession...and we have movement. But it is all done at a very noticeable laboured pace.

When we play well...we play with energy and at pace. We close down and hound at a high temp. We force teams into errors and we are able to capitalise.

Recently...we close down...but too slowly. We miss the triggers and almost jog into position. It's futile when done so slowly.

As for individuals.

I said at the time, the injury to Kalas will be massive...and it is proving the case. He gives us that class and confidence we need at the back.

Pack imo, is missing Smith. I'm not particularly a fan of Smith as an individual player...but he gives Pack the cover he needs.

DeSilva...imo is a waste of money. He looks like a player going through the motions...he's not going to bust a gut for us.

Famara imo just doesn't fit. His lethargy and poor touch often lead to us losing possession. Cowshed has mentioned it in the past...and I disagreed, but recently I've noticed it more.

To play the high energy press, it needs speed and energy. We get that from Taylor and Wiemann...but not from Famara. His lethargy has a knock on effect to the rest of the team imo. When he's not on the pitch...the energy levels and speed increase.

People mention our plan 'B'...imo...playing Famara and Elliason and Odowda is our plan 'B'. It's totally different to how we play other times.

Yesterday was a mistake tactically imo. If you are going to play Famara...then play Elliason and Odowda from the start.

Our lethargic display in the first half was epitomised by the lack of speed and energy and movement by Famara and Desilva. It was like playing with 9 players at points yesterday.

A looked confused.

I'm a fan of LJ....and I want him to do well. But yesterday I think he got his identity mixed up.

As soon as we get Kalas fit the better.

We need Mo and his energy and movement as competition.

Plus we need Walsh to get up to speed quickly.

Sooner we get our injured players back the better. Going to struggle otherwise.

LJ moaning at others, and about others, AGAIN

As does every football manager.

He makes countless mistakes

As does every football manager - especially those at clubs in lower divisions like ourselves.

5 defenders at home

Top, world class teams have done this many times in the past. Conte won the league at Chelsea a couple years back with the same system.

No wingers from the start

That was a tactical decision based on how he wanted to play, and in my opinion, our wingers have looked tired recently.

Then takes  Diedhiou off and brings O'dowda on

Diedhiou was poor and deserved to be subbed off. You wanted wingers to play so why complain about O'Dowda coming on?

O'dowda gets the crosses in, but now no target man (Diedhiou)

Every team crosses the ball and they don't need target men to score.

He should look at himself

I'm certain he does, as does every football manager in seeking improvement at their job.

He is a low division coach

We are a low division club, who haven't been in the top division for 35 years.

As long as he is here AS MANAGER, not coach

We will continue to struggle staying in the top half, with his continuous mistakes

That's a fair opinion, which I maybe agree with but football is certainly unpredictable.

Whilst in the bottom half, we could get relegated (But not this season, there are to many poor teams in our div. Like Sheffield Wed)

Is this the 3rd big slide down the division, like the last two

Time will tell but probably a good 10-15 teams in the division, including bigger/richer clubs than ourselves, are in the same position. What makes you think we have some God-given right not to be in this situation?

5 hours ago, Redmycolour said:

perfect view from South Stand and on tv, Baker headed it back, not offside 

I can only think that LJ thought he was offside at the time of the keeper's kick-out, ie before Baker headed it but can't tell from the video footage I've seen as the camera's on the keeper.

I haven’t read every post in here but for my 2 pence worth:

I only saw the second half. Apparently we were quite good in the first half. 

Diedhiou was as slow as one of JETs penalty run-ups. LJ should have either subbed him sooner or told him to stay central. 

I thought DaSilva did ok

Taylor looked hungry and worked hard. 

Paterson - ok I suppose. 

I didn’t think we were troubled - until they scored - which we might as well have done it for them  - terrible back-pass - after which we fell apart and allowed them to get the second.

Our passing was dire - something LJ prides himself in is the quick passing football - well, we must learn to pass accurately then. 

Disappointed of course but not calling for anyone’s head just now. Not expecting anything at Brentford so bizarrely the pressure is off (for me) but the pressure will be firmly back in vs Hull and Stoke. 

The International break has come at a good time to try and get our crocks going again.  

2 hours ago, Distortia said:

LJ moaning at others, and about others, AGAIN

As does every football manager.

He makes countless mistakes

As does every football manager - especially those at clubs in lower divisions like ourselves.

5 defenders at home

Top, world class teams have done this many times in the past. Conte won the league at Chelsea a couple years back with the same system.

No wingers from the start

That was a tactical decision based on how he wanted to play, and in my opinion, our wingers have looked tired recently.

Then takes  Diedhiou off and brings O'dowda on

Diedhiou was poor and deserved to be subbed off. You wanted wingers to play so why complain about O'Dowda coming on?

O'dowda gets the crosses in, but now no target man (Diedhiou)

Every team crosses the ball and they don't need target men to score.

He should look at himself

I'm certain he does, as does every football manager in seeking improvement at their job.

He is a low division coach

We are a low division club, who haven't been in the top division for 35 years.

As long as he is here AS MANAGER, not coach

We will continue to struggle staying in the top half, with his continuous mistakes

That's a fair opinion, which I maybe agree with but football is certainly unpredictable.

Whilst in the bottom half, we could get relegated (But not this season, there are to many poor teams in our div. Like Sheffield Wed)

Is this the 3rd big slide down the division, like the last two

Time will tell but probably a good 10-15 teams in the division, including bigger/richer clubs than ourselves, are in the same position. What makes you think we have some God-given right not to be in this situation?

From top to bottom we lack the desire and belief in our ability to move forward, whilst we are happy to be from mediocre to poor; LJ is under no threat of losing his "nice job" anytime soon either.

Our build slowly from the bottom plan, shows we are quite happy to stay where we are and make no genuine attempt to move forward at all like Palace (remember them) Wolves, Huddersfield and others who passed us by, no wonder we cannot keep hold of any decent players...WE LACK AMBITION and probably the desire to go up.

LJ will blame anyone/thing apart from himself and has not learnt much over past years continuing to not have a clue really, cant see much changing either apart from we will have nothing to sell this season, which may jolt SL into action,......or not.

57 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I haven’t read every post in here but for my 2 pence worth:

I only saw the second half. Apparently we were quite good in the first half. 

Diedhiou was as slow as one of JETs penalty run-ups. LJ should have either subbed him sooner or told him to stay central. 

I thought DaSilva did ok

Taylor looked hungry and worked hard. 

Paterson - ok I suppose. 

I didn’t think we were troubled - until they scored - which we might as well have done it for them  - terrible back-pass - after which we fell apart and allowed them to get the second.

Our passing was dire - something LJ prides himself in is the quick passing football - well, we must learn to pass accurately then. 

Disappointed of course but not calling for anyone’s head just now. Not expecting anything at Brentford so bizarrely the pressure is off (for me) but the pressure will be firmly back in vs Hull and Stoke. 

The International break has come at a good time to try and get our crocks going again.  

In fairness, they came out for the 2nd half far better than we did, so i'm not really sure we can say it was against the run of play or anything.

Agree with pretty much everything else you wrote

Archived