IGNORED

LJ AGAIN

Langford Red

21 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

De Silva didn't play as a defender so we didn't play 5 at the back.

I don't recall O'Dowda delivering any crosses of significance.

I reckon we put in more crosses while Diedhiou was on the pitch (before O'Dowda) - he missed the best chance from them.

We aren't really sliding, we are mid table and still within reach of the top 6. Many others dropped points yesterday - we won't be the only ones to struggle.

I said on the match day thread yesterday that our crossing was poor, there was no real intent or pace on the crossing.

The crosses all came from 20-30 yards out with no pace on them, hence making the defender attacking the ball the clear favourite to win them.

If we want to cross the ball into areas where the striker is favoured, then we need to get closer to the byline and get defenders facing their own goal.

23 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I said on the match day thread yesterday that our crossing was poor, there was no real intent or pace on the crossing.

The crosses all came from 20-30 yards out with no pace on them, hence making the defender attacking the ball the clear favourite to win them.

If we want to cross the ball into areas where the striker is favoured, then we need to get closer to the byline and get defenders facing their own goal.

Although I agree with you for the most part, movement can sometimes make an ordinary cross look good. One thing I was taught as a youngster was to some times get across the front man, if working as a pair it would be front & far. Cannot say I saw a lot of that Sunday. COYR  

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I can only think that LJ thought he was offside at the time of the keeper's kick-out, ie before Baker headed it but can't tell from the video footage I've seen as the camera's on the keeper.

You can’t be offside from a goal kick....or was it just a kick by the keeper as part of normal play...in that case you can, but I can’t remember which it was...

23 hours ago, Float'n Over said:

Have to say that disappointed me, expect that sort of thing from Warnock...

Always someone on here who can’t wait to have a dig at Neil Warnock....tiresome, the guy is the most successful manager ever in our game, in terms of promotions - and he didn’t barge a lino, our manager did.....

Good post above. Every season under Johnson we have enjoyed some good form and then a massive dip in form that lasts a long time.  The main feeling among the fans I sit with in the Dolman is that we’re at the start of another bad run which could explain the panic and the overreaction to the latest defeat.   

Also, that chant “your city is red” is embarrassing. Suggests an allegiance to other teams in red in the country and I for one can’t stand Man U or Sheffield Utd. 

5 minutes ago, Tim Bartlett said:

Good post above. Every season under Johnson we have enjoyed some good form and then a massive dip in form that lasts a long time.  The main feeling among the fans I sit with in the Dolman is that we’re at the start of another bad run which could explain the panic and the overreaction to the latest defeat.   

Think it’s far more deeper and to do with any signs of learning from him , or his squad and team 3 years in and the current look of our squad and first eleven with no obvious consistent selection or plan

Also, that chant “your city is red” is embarrassing. Suggests an allegiance to other teams in red in the country and I for one can’t stand Man U or Sheffield Utd. 

Well said 

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 14:26, spudski said:

Taken from a recent interview with LJ about his career...

I always knew, though, that at some point in my career, if it was going to be successful, I wanted to manage my old club, Bristol City.

That was always the dream.

After a spell with Barnsley, I came to Bristol with another plan. This one, to build an identity that runs all the way through the football club, and to be here for as long as I can.

That’s not always easy in football, but I think you have to treat this job like you’re going to be here forever – but know that you could be gone tomorrow.

In my first full season as Bristol City manager, we went through a really difficult spell. Results weren’t good. It was the worst run in the league in the club’s history.

We had some internal feud problems within the squad – the sort of stuff you can’t go public with at the time. As the manager, you have to be the shield. My job is to take those punches on the nose for the greater good.

Performances weren’t as bad as the results, but we’d recruited young talent and with that sometimes comes low self-esteem. When you’re going well, it’s great. But when you’re not, it can be a problem.

Confidence levels can drop. It was up to myself and the staff to see us through that period. To retain the focus and the belief, and continue to work hard.

We had to make some tough decisions – but, eventually, the tide turned.

Sometimes the decisions you make are for the greater good, not just for the short-term. We’re a club that’s desperately trying to nurture and develop our young players. One that doesn’t have the luxury of having proven decision-makers in their prime.

It’s something that’s quite enjoyable, actually, because when you see the work put in on the training ground come to fruition on the pitch and win you games, it gives you a great feeling.

The other day, I watched a video of our Under-12s scoring four goals against Cardiff, and every one of their goals was in the same pressing style we’re playing in the first-team. That’s the stuff people don’t see.

That’s the stuff that shows the identity building is well under way.

And I’ve got a front-row seat to all of it. That was always the dream.....

What I've witnessed in recent games, is the identity that LJ is trying to instil at the Club...the 'high energy pressing style'.... is somewhat lethargic. It's not until we go behind that we actually start playing with energy and speed.

This is where I feel we have a problem.

We keep possession...and we have movement. But it is all done at a very noticeable laboured pace.

When we play well...we play with energy and at pace. We close down and hound at a high temp. We force teams into errors and we are able to capitalise.

Recently...we close down...but too slowly. We miss the triggers and almost jog into position. It's futile when done so slowly.

As for individuals.

I said at the time, the injury to Kalas will be massive...and it is proving the case. He gives us that class and confidence we need at the back.

Pack imo, is missing Smith. I'm not particularly a fan of Smith as an individual player...but he gives Pack the cover he needs.

DeSilva...imo is a waste of money. He looks like a player going through the motions...he's not going to bust a gut for us.

Famara imo just doesn't fit. His lethargy and poor touch often lead to us losing possession. Cowshed has mentioned it in the past...and I disagreed, but recently I've noticed it more.

To play the high energy press, it needs speed and energy. We get that from Taylor and Wiemann...but not from Famara. His lethargy has a knock on effect to the rest of the team imo. When he's not on the pitch...the energy levels and speed increase.

People mention our plan 'B'...imo...playing Famara and Elliason and Odowda is our plan 'B'. It's totally different to how we play other times.

Yesterday was a mistake tactically imo. If you are going to play Famara...then play Elliason and Odowda from the start.

Our lethargic display in the first half was epitomised by the lack of speed and energy and movement by Famara and Desilva. It was like playing with 9 players at points yesterday.

A looked confused.

I'm a fan of LJ....and I want him to do well. But yesterday I think he got his identity mixed up.

As soon as we get Kalas fit the better.

We need Mo and his energy and movement as competition.

Plus we need Walsh to get up to speed quickly.

Sooner we get our injured players back the better. Going to struggle otherwise.

If fast zippy high energy football is the aim Diedhiou cannot be trusted. He is lazy. People spotted it a long time ago. 

16 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

If fast zippy high energy football is the aim Diedhiou cannot be trusted. He is lazy. People spotted it a long time ago. 

I don't think he's lazy...just not particularly fast and able to close down with continued pace and energy over the course of a game. Unlike Weiman, Taylor and Reid last season.

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't think he's lazy...just not particularly fast and able to close down with continued pace and energy over the course of a game. Unlike Weiman, Taylor and Reid last season.

Agreed, doesn’t fit with the way I think Johnson wants us to play at all. I guess the thinking is to have one big man up top (Diedhiou, Djuric before he left) partnered with a little nippy one (Taylor, Weimann, Reid before he left).

My guess is that the instructions given are to do the pressing approach to put the opposition under pressure and win the ball back, and then to try and play good passing stuff, ending with a ball in to the little striker, but that if there’s no pass on there’s the option of playing a long ball to the big man. The problem being that then the players have an easy out to just lump it up, so we don’t play our passing game, and Diedhiou isn’t good at the pressing game - which is only really effective when the whole team are doing it - so the whole style of play is lost, leading to the comments on here about us having no style or identity.

I think it’s telling that the best football we’ve played under Johnson (and indeed under anyone for a long time) was when we were forced to play two little nippy guys up top.

6 minutes ago, FlintSaidNo said:

Agreed, doesn’t fit with the way I think Johnson wants us to play at all. I guess the thinking is to have one big man up top (Diedhiou, Djuric before he left) partnered with a little nippy one (Taylor, Weimann, Reid before he left).

My guess is that the instructions given are to do the pressing approach to put the opposition under pressure and win the ball back, and then to try and play good passing stuff, ending with a ball in to the little striker, but that if there’s no pass on there’s the option of playing a long ball to the big man. The problem being that then the players have an easy out to just lump it up, so we don’t play our passing game, and Diedhiou isn’t good at the pressing game - which is only really effective when the whole team are doing it - so the whole style of play is lost, leading to the comments on here about us having no style or identity.

I think it’s telling that the best football we’ve played under Johnson (and indeed under anyone for a long time) was when we were forced to play two little nippy guys up top.

I think we have that available.

13 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I think we have that available.

Same, feel if we ditched Diedhiou and started Weimann and Taylor (as we did at the start of the season) we would do a lot better (as we did at the start of the season). And then, like I think someone above said, Diedhiou can be a plan B if that isn’t working

eta: it was @spudski who mentioned Diedhiou being a plan B

26 minutes ago, FlintSaidNo said:

Same, feel if we ditched Diedhiou and started Weimann and Taylor (as we did at the start of the season) we would do a lot better (as we did at the start of the season). And then, like I think someone above said, Diedhiou can be a plan B if that isn’t working

eta: it was @spudski who mentioned Diedhiou being a plan B

I think we mix up our front partnerships, depending on who we are playing against. Same can be said if we choose to play our wide men.

I understand why LJ chose to play who he did against Wednesday....however during the match it was obvious Wednesday were their for the taking, and that their midfield really wasn't dominating or playing particularly well. Maybe it's because we nullified them...however during the game, I was thinking I would have made changes at half time and brought Wieman on for Famara, and brought Eliasson on to open them up a bit more.

46 minutes ago, FlintSaidNo said:

So your saying when we won the double under cottrill we were playing boring football.i beg to differ

On 07/10/2018 at 19:54, Moor2Sea said:

Should have brought Djuric on.

Oh hang on ......  we sold him.

Should have pushed Flint up.

Oh hang on we sold him too.

...  and then we bought erm...... to replace them. So we’ve a bevy of crossers but no one to head the crosses in. Genius. 

You mean Djuric our prolific scorer? Or Flint, who was clearly not an option to keep? 

I'm fine with criticism towards Lee but these points are moot as these are two players who were always leaving, Djuric just never seemed the right fit and Flint obviously wanted out and agreed one more season with us in attempt to go up which never materialised so he left. 

You don't need to be over 6 foot to be able to head the ball, it helps but it's not a case of "no-one is tall so don't cross". Yes it never worked out in the last game but genuinely how many crosses to Fammy result in a goal, I'd be interested in that statistic, I'd also like to see the ratio of crosses we attempt and how many make the target. 

On 08/10/2018 at 15:26, spudski said:

Taken from a recent interview with LJ about his career...

I always knew, though, that at some point in my career, if it was going to be successful, I wanted to manage my old club, Bristol City.

That was always the dream.

After a spell with Barnsley, I came to Bristol with another plan. This one, to build an identity that runs all the way through the football club, and to be here for as long as I can.

That’s not always easy in football, but I think you have to treat this job like you’re going to be here forever – but know that you could be gone tomorrow.

In my first full season as Bristol City manager, we went through a really difficult spell. Results weren’t good. It was the worst run in the league in the club’s history.

We had some internal feud problems within the squad – the sort of stuff you can’t go public with at the time. As the manager, you have to be the shield. My job is to take those punches on the nose for the greater good.

Performances weren’t as bad as the results, but we’d recruited young talent and with that sometimes comes low self-esteem. When you’re going well, it’s great. But when you’re not, it can be a problem.

Confidence levels can drop. It was up to myself and the staff to see us through that period. To retain the focus and the belief, and continue to work hard.

We had to make some tough decisions – but, eventually, the tide turned.

Sometimes the decisions you make are for the greater good, not just for the short-term. We’re a club that’s desperately trying to nurture and develop our young players. One that doesn’t have the luxury of having proven decision-makers in their prime.

It’s something that’s quite enjoyable, actually, because when you see the work put in on the training ground come to fruition on the pitch and win you games, it gives you a great feeling.

The other day, I watched a video of our Under-12s scoring four goals against Cardiff, and every one of their goals was in the same pressing style we’re playing in the first-team. That’s the stuff people don’t see.

That’s the stuff that shows the identity building is well under way.

And I’ve got a front-row seat to all of it. That was always the dream.....

What I've witnessed in recent games, is the identity that LJ is trying to instil at the Club...the 'high energy pressing style'.... is somewhat lethargic. It's not until we go behind that we actually start playing with energy and speed.

We keep possession...and we have movement. But it is all done at a very noticeable laboured pace.

When we play well...we play with energy and at pace. We close down and hound at a high temp. We force teams into errors and we are able to capitalise.

Recently...we close down...but too slowly. We miss the triggers and almost jog into position. It's futile when done so slowly.

As for individuals.

I said at the time, the injury to Kalas will be massive...and it is proving the case. He gives us that class and confidence we need at the back.

Pack imo, is missing Smith. I'm not particularly a fan of Smith as an individual player...but he gives Pack the cover he needs.

DeSilva...imo is a waste of money. He looks like a player going through the motions...he's not going to bust a gut for us.

Famara imo just doesn't fit. His lethargy and poor touch often lead to us losing possession. Cowshed has mentioned it in the past...and I disagreed, but recently I've noticed it more.

To play the high energy press, it needs speed and energy. We get that from Taylor and Wiemann...but not from Famara. His lethargy has a knock on effect to the rest of the team imo. When he's not on the pitch...the energy levels and speed increase.

People mention our plan 'B'...imo...playing Famara and Elliason and Odowda is our plan 'B'. It's totally different to how we play other times.

Yesterday was a mistake tactically imo. If you are going to play Famara...then play Elliason and Odowda from the start.

Our lethargic display in the first half was epitomised by the lack of speed and energy and movement by Famara and Desilva. It was like playing with 9 players at points yesterday.

A looked confused.

I'm a fan of LJ....and I want him to do well. But yesterday I think he got his identity mixed up.

Where did this interview come from Spudski ?

For me two things stand out ;

Divided dressing room . " internal feuds " . LJ says it's his job to take the punches on the nose ! 

I disagree, his job is to manage the squad and avoid the feuds . 

Secondly , young players with " low self esteem " again down to recruitment and management. 

Many youngsters are full of it and totally impervious to any negativity. 

Not a great interview to put on his CV. 

2 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

So your saying when we won the double under cottrill we were playing boring football.i beg to differ

Under Cotterill we had a completely different style of play that basically consisted of committing almost the whole team forward and overwhelming them. It was very effective against the weakened opposition of League 1 but wouldn’t work at all at this level. It was very entertaining football but only if you’re one of the - if not the - strongest sides in the division, otherwise you’ll get found out at the back.

It’s an interesting debate whether the football we played was better that season or first half of last season; the standard of football was better last season (as near the top of the Championship, beating Man United etc. is clearly better than top of League 1, beating Walsall etc.) but I would say for entertainment value the double season was clearly better because you can’t really beat being that truly dominant force in your division.

regardless, both periods we clearly played very good football, and where I said that last season was the best we’ve played for a long time was a fairly minor part of my point

1 hour ago, spudski said:

That would not affect his work rate in other areas of the game.

Work rate is not a quality of this individual. It is intermittent. 

It is highly questionable if after seasons at BCFC if the players lack of work rate is not related to the physical corner at all, but his psychological one - Mind set. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Where did this interview come from Spudski ?

For me two things stand out ;

Divided dressing room . " internal feuds " . LJ says it's his job to take the punches on the nose ! 

I disagree, his job is to manage the squad and avoid the feuds . 

Secondly , young players with " low self esteem " again down to recruitment and management. 

Many youngsters are full of it and totally impervious to any negativity. 

Not a great interview to put on his CV. 

The Couches voice interview fella

On 08/10/2018 at 15:26, spudski said:

As for individuals.

A looked confused.

I agree in essence with everything that you say, I don't agree that Pack is missing Smith, it's deeper than that the centre midfield is lacking a proper football brain, all 3 are very good players in their own right, but collectively they are not and will never be a cohesive unit. There is little or no communication, organisation and discipline is poor, whoever plays out of 3 choices, opponents only need to contain us for 45 minutes and be patient and eventually we will take chances where both our centre midfielders will get caught out ahead of the ball, with 2 full backs bombing on, 2 wide men and 2 strikers in attacking positions, that is 8 players out of the picture and the inevitable ball over the top can be devastating as proved in many defeats under LJ.

I agree totally about Diedhiou, I have said as much from day one but I have been shouted down on this, he's built like a beast but plays like a pussie, he must be a centre backs dream to play against, he is easy to shift off of the ball, so doesn't hold the ball up nearly enough, he goes down far too easily, poor first touch, takes up odd positions in the opponents box, I have been disappointed by him, cost a lot of money as well.

But I would add that if playing him is like playing 10 men then playing Paterson and him is like playing with 9 men, neither are helpful in a struggling team, I am not sure about DeSilva but i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

I would like to mention Hunt and Baker, Hunt is ok going forward but mixed bag defensively, far too often he has no idea where his man actually is and I wonder sometimes how actually committed Baker is to the cause, he can be far to casual.

I worry about the LJ 'identity' tag, because to me that is exactly what we have in centre midfield, a midfield built in his image as a player, weak, negative and unimaginative and playing as individuals not a fully functioning cohesive unit, a unit who cover for each other and doesn't leave the defence without cover, a unit who controls the full backs and wing backs ensuring that there is always adequate cover once our attacking move breaks down and not 8 individuals chasing back (many running through treacle) because our opponents have patiently waited and sussed out our achilles heel.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Do you have comprehension issues?

No I don't.I just can't see how he can say that watching football under Johnson is more entertaining than watching it under Cottrell.if this is so why is it I have been already offered a season card to buy or I have 3 contacts who have season cards who say they can't be asked to go down because it's like watching paint dry.

4 hours ago, Spike said:

You mean Djuric our prolific scorer? Or Flint, who was clearly not an option to keep? 

I'm fine with criticism towards Lee but these points are moot as these are two players who were always leaving, Djuric just never seemed the right fit and Flint obviously wanted out and agreed one more season with us in attempt to go up which never materialised so he left. 

You don't need to be over 6 foot to be able to head the ball, it helps but it's not a case of "no-one is tall so don't cross". Yes it never worked out in the last game but genuinely how many crosses to Fammy result in a goal, I'd be interested in that statistic, I'd also like to see the ratio of crosses we attempt and how many make the target. 

If I’m reading that correctly then the answer to the Fammy question is, indeed, very few. 

That is entirely my point. We have more wingers than the RAF in the squad. LJ knew Flint and probably Djuric we’re leaving. Yet no one was brought in to replace them. Those two were the only two players in the squad with heading capabilities to Championship standard.

I go back to last season’s Ipswich home game, tippy tappy dross for 60 minutes bring Djuric on and within minutes a pin point cross from Kelly on to Djuic’s head and 3 points instead of 1. Oh, for that option to have been available in the last four games. 

I find the transfer dealings in the summer totally and uttterly bizarre personally .  Not just in the context of the lack of heading capability in the squad either, you can add leaders and central midfielders (with a physical presence) to that puzzlement. 

6 hours ago, Mtimmy11 said:

I found it pretty damned entertaining

a little boring at times, turning up and just knowing you were gonna win, but there you go..

Particularly boring lowlights Bradford away, Walsall home

1 hour ago, Mtimmy11 said:

No I don't.I just can't see how he can say that watching football under Johnson is more entertaining than watching it under Cottrell.if this is so why is it I have been already offered a season card to buy or I have 3 contacts who have season cards who say they can't be asked to go down because it's like watching paint dry.

I don’t wanna come across as anti-Cotterell because I’m a big fan of his, but your evidence seems a bit flawed as the attendances are a lot higher now than we could have hoped for under Cotterell.

We have had some truly awful games under Johnson, I don’t deny that - Millwall at home last season stands out - what I’m saying is that the period from September to December last season was the best football I’ve seen at the gate.

As I said above, I really enjoyed watching City under both Cotterell and Johnson first half of last season, this is an argument over semantics which really misses my main point, which was that we should be starting Taylor and Weimann rather than Diedhiou.

19 minutes ago, FlintSaidNo said:

I don’t wanna come across as anti-Cotterell because I’m a big fan of his, but your evidence seems a bit flawed as the attendances are a lot higher now than we could have hoped for under Cotterell.

True

The fact that the East End was a building s site  and the capacity at the time with the Old Williams and original Dolman  , is the only reason it is ...... 

Archived