IGNORED

Are we underachieving?

SStandUp

Are we actually underachieving? (All things considered)  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think a fairer poll would have been asking are we overachieving, underachieving or on par. The phrasing of the poll will tip being towards saying we're not underachieving because I believe our position in the table is about right rather than doing very well.

I reckon where we are must be about "par." For the wages we likely pay. Where we finished last season was just about "par" as well, although tip-toeing towards "over achieving" (for the wages compared to our competitors ).

Some current unhappiness might be due to 5 games without a win (bearing in mind LJ's history) and losing at home to a steady, nothing special Sheff Weds (who we have thumped twice and drawn once with at home in this Championship spell. Scoring ten goals in those three games).

Furthermore,  a glance at the table shows that we trail two of the promoted sides, and "the likes of" Sheff Utd and Brentford, who pay pretty similar wages to ourselves, I believe is the case. So, it is not a lack of resource or dosh that holds us back, in the face of overwhelming finance and odds amongst the big spenders.

To counter this, we are above the mighty Aston Villa and parachute payment wasting Stoke City, so not all bad. How long can we stay above them, though? At least two weeks, I like to think.

If we begin to slip below Bolton, Birmingham and QPR, I would say that is "underachieving," unquestionably. 

Real, or perceived, "direction of travel" also contributes to supporter satisfaction and general grumpiness or otherwise. At the moment, does it feel like we are progressing, regressing or stagnating?

21 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I reckon where we are must be about "par." For the wages we likely pay. Where we finished last season was just about "par" as well, although tip-toeing towards "over achieving" (for the wages compared to our competitors ).

Some current unhappiness might be due to 5 games without a win (bearing in mind LJ's history) and losing at home to a steady, nothing special Sheff Weds (who we have thumped twice and drawn once with at home in this Championship spell. Scoring ten goals in those three games).

Furthermore,  a glance at the table shows that we trail two of the promoted sides, and "the likes of" Sheff Utd and Brentford, who pay pretty similar wages to ourselves, I believe is the case. So, it is not a lack of resource or dosh that holds us back, in the face of overwhelming finance and odds amongst the big spenders.

To counter this, we are above the mighty Aston Villa and parachute payment wasting Stoke City, so not all bad. How long can we stay above them, though? At least two weeks, I like to think.

If we begin to slip below Bolton, Birmingham and QPR, I would say that is "underachieving," unquestionably. 

Real, or perceived, "direction of travel" also contributes to supporter satisfaction and general grumpiness or otherwise. At the moment, does it feel like we are progressing, regressing or stagnating?

Agree with the bolded bit certainly- especially about yesterday culminating the poor run.

As I said on another thread- under LJ 3 seasons ago we thumped a good, playoff contending Sheffield Wednesday 4-1- excellent.

2-2 v Sheffield Wednesday, stil in and around the top 6 to end our losing run was also satisfactory. I'll overlook the 4-0 last year, we were excellent and they were utterly decimated by injuries.

This iteration of Sheffield Wednesday are definitely worse than they were at the time of those games, nothing special at all (well set up and with some good individuals- but overall nothing special) yet won here yesterday. That feels like a good opportunity wasted to me.

I went for under achieving without reading any comments.

But I think I’m correct anyway.

The question of under achieving for me is not budgets or anything else it is simply should we have more points in the bag than we currently have.

Based on what I have seen courtesy of season ticket and red button the answer has to be yes we should have more points.

Is that wrong?

16 hours ago, hodge said:

I think a fairer poll would have been asking are we overachieving, underachieving or on par. The phrasing of the poll will tip being towards saying we're not underachieving because I believe our position in the table is about right rather than doing very well.

looks like you might get the job writing out the voting slips if there's a second Brexit referendum!!

17 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

The reaction of many almost makes it feel like we are underachieving. Are we though? 

Nope, not at all. Villa. Now that's a team under-achieving, when you look at their wage bill and list of talent.

Fans need to learn: a rich owner and new stadium doesn't guarantee on-pitch success. 

12 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Nope, not at all. Villa. Now that's a team under-achieving, when you look at their wage bill and list of talent.

Fans need to learn: a rich owner and new stadium doesn't guarantee on-pitch success. 

This- though I'd argue some of the names at Villa maybe a little overrated or past their best hence why they're at Villa.

The second bit though, I agree in full.

Archived