IGNORED

Jack Hunt Criticism

BessexRED

What am I missing re: Jack Hunt and all the criticism he receives on here and on social media?

Hunt came to us with a reputation as a good Championship right back and for me you can see why he was a mainstay in a SWFC side that finished 4th and 6th in back-to-back seasons under Carvalhal. He’s solid defensively, quick and gets up the pitch; though his crossing could do with some work.

I personally can’t think of a better right back we’ve had for quite a few years, perhaps even since Bradley Orr? Little was great in L1 but unfortunately diabolical in this division and now is sat on Bolton’s bench most weeks.

I think he looks a great buy for £1.5m and don’t get the criticism he receives every single week.

For me, he completely switches off 2-3 times a game that leads to a very serious chance for the opposition. He is quick and likes to take on players but seems to often run into dead ends. No I am yet to be convinced by him and his first few games for us don’t touch Pisano’s first few. RB continues to be a problem area for us imo. 

I think he’s ok and one of the best right backs we’ve had for a while too. His defending is solid and going forward he’s a good dribbler and can get us up the pitch quickly. The weakest part of his game for me is his passing it can be frustrating when he gives up possession cheaply in our half.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

For me, he completely switches off 2-3 times a game that leads to a very serious chance for the opposition. He is quick and likes to take on players but seems to often run into dead ends. No I am yet to be convinced by him and his first few games for us don’t touch Pisano’s first few. RB continues to be a problem area for us imo. 

This , 

Joes summary in brief

Made my feelings clear on other threads

Appears brainless in footballing to me at times

And what really tipped me yesterday was a lack of desire to get back , when we , often he , lost the ball

Lost count how many times he gifted Weds possession , including leading to their second goal 

For the reported £1.6m then I think we’ve had our pants pulled down!!

Gets rolled by wingers too easily and switches off on give & go’s which expose us. Basically cannot défend and has he got any assists in 12 starts as  cannot remember one. 

Waste of money imo

Still undecided really, but for people to label him a waste of money is harsh.

I was looking forward to having an attacking right back, because whilst Wright was on the whole defensively sound I thought we were missing out not having someone you could provide in the final third and keep opponents on the back foot.

We need to see a bit more of him offensively. Because at the moment he's not really providing much going forward and with the few defensive mishaps he's been having, the calls for BW to sure things up will become louder.

If we're looking to push on in this league IMO we need an attacking right back and I think Hunt could be it. However, I can see the argument of posters who prefer we sort the defensive side of things first...especially as we may be at the start of one of those runs.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

This , 

Joes summary in brief

Made my feelings clear on other threads

Appears brainless in footballing to me at times

And what really tipped me yesterday was a lack of desire to get back , when we , often he , lost the ball

Lost count how many times he gifted Weds possession , including leading to their second goal 

Thing is thought he was ok yesterday but as a WB with extra defenders behind him and whilewe were chasing the game. Just don’t think a 442 supports fullbacks that bomb forward. That said he makes silly mistakes a few times a game that put us under pressure

Personally think he’s so so poor. Originally thought it was a great signing but his positional awareness is appalling. His desire to regain the ball or track back after losing it isn’t there. His delivery all season has been really poor and his passing has a lot to be desired. 

For me he’s been our worst player by a long way so far. Would far rather see an 18yo academy lad be given a go there. 

2 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Personally think he’s so so poor. Originally thought it was a great signing but his positional awareness is appalling. His desire to regain the ball or track back after losing it isn’t there. His delivery all season has been really poor and his passing has a lot to be desired. 

For me he’s been our worst player by a long way so far. Would far rather see an 18yo academy lad be given a go there. 

Who?

Getting a sense of deja vu reading this thread, the opinions from our fans were just as mixed as this. I think players that play on the flanks often divide opinion, Jermaine Johnson who played on the wing for us split the fan base like no other. Some of our younger fans would pick him as one of their favourite ever players whilst others would say he's one of the most useless players we've had.

I prefer the more defensively minded fullback myself, so many seem to be such a liability at the back these days. 

Archived