IGNORED

More problems for Truro City

Lanterne Rouge

Hot off the press; Lidl out and nobody else in. Just to prewarn you there is an "effect" towards the end of the piece which should be "affect" and I haven't corrected it.

The latest from Chairman, Mr. Peter Masters...

WE HAVE been advised by Jonathan Cox, Helical Retail, that Lidi will be issuing a termination notice which effectively brings the current Treyew Road Lidi/Helical contract to an end and will allow Lidi to seek alternative sites around Truro.
Helical have again confirmed that their Development Contract with JIL remains in place until September 2019 which could mean that no building will take place at Treyew Road for the foreseeable future.
We will now discuss this latest position with our advisors, League and JIL and decide the best way forward. 
Finally we wish to make it clear that this latest news does not effect the Stadium for Cornwall or Truro City FC’s role in it.
Peter Masters
Chairman

Updated 15:48 - 16 Oct 2018 by Truro City Football Club

http://www.trurocityfc.net/news/statement-treyew-road-update-2358147.html?fbclid=IwAR1PKMTTboN9aO3Xx8SWyW8DtVWs4yxzDTNCDmtZHYIl6y6_uJk7veSH--A

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Hot off the press; Lidl out and nobody else in. Just to prewarn you there is an "effect" towards the end of the piece which should be "affect" and I haven't corrected it.

The latest from Chairman, Mr. Peter Masters...

WE HAVE been advised by Jonathan Cox, Helical Retail, that Lidi will be issuing a termination notice which effectively brings the current Treyew Road Lidi/Helical contract to an end and will allow Lidi to seek alternative sites around Truro.
Helical have again confirmed that their Development Contract with JIL remains in place until September 2019 which could mean that no building will take place at Treyew Road for the foreseeable future.
We will now discuss this latest position with our advisors, League and JIL and decide the best way forward. 
Finally we wish to make it clear that this latest news does not effect the Stadium for Cornwall or Truro City FC’s role in it.
Peter Masters
Chairman

Updated 15:48 - 16 Oct 2018 by Truro City Football Club

http://www.trurocityfc.net/news/statement-treyew-road-update-2358147.html?fbclid=IwAR1PKMTTboN9aO3Xx8SWyW8DtVWs4yxzDTNCDmtZHYIl6y6_uJk7veSH--A

Not quite sure what to make of that TBH, is it good or bad news? I presume Helical will now have to find an alternative buyer which is unlikely to be retail but planning consent will be based on any development being that. I suppose the news this week about the country`s housing need and how far we`re lagging behind could help but who knows?

This will now drag on for years IMO. Probably the best solution is Truro go back to Treyew Road until another purchaser is found - at least Helical will have some income from a `dead` site that way. If it stays empty it`s just a matter of time before the weather and the vandals get at it and before long some local chavs will decide that it would be fun to torch the place.

Interesting times indeed.

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

And....

Reported today that LIDL has changed their mind and do now want the site but not until May 2019 so they could play back there for the remainder of the season.

Was it SOAP that ended its introduction with "Confused?  You will be"

And followed it with ` Don`t miss the next exciting episode of ……..`

It is getting a bit like that though isn`t it?

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 14:05, Eddie Hitler said:

And....

Reported today that LIDL has changed their mind and do now want the site but not until May 2019 so they could play back there for the remainder of the season.

Was it SOAP that ended its introduction with "Confused?  You will be"

Truro are going back to Treyew Road subject to league approval while all this is sorted out. Good news I think although financially a bit of a blow for Torquay I guess.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45810146

15 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Truro are going back to Treyew Road subject to league approval while all this is sorted out. Good news I think although financially a bit of a blow for Torquay I guess.

Torquay are doing quite nicely outbid their cup run, that might compensate for this loss of income. It might also depend on what the agreement was, they may have to pay a severance fee for leaving the agreement early.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Torquay are doing quite nicely outbid their cup run, that might compensate for this loss of income. It might also depend on what the agreement was, they may have to pay a severance fee for leaving the agreement early.

Good to hear; whilst I've never quite managed to get to Plainmoor the few Torquay fans I've known have been a nice bunch with a great line in self-deprecation.

• Admin
On 02/11/2018 at 18:30, Red Right Hand said:

Just read that the FA Trophy match between Truro and Weston was played as a one off in Truro last weekend. 

Seems odd that they are only playing that game there, or have I misread the local paper? 

27 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just read that the FA Trophy match between Truro and Weston was played as a one off in Truro last weekend. 

Seems odd that they are only playing that game there, or have I misread the local paper? 

I think that they're back there for the rest of the season and then that's it.  As it stands anyway.

Might go over when it warms up.

They played a few more at Torquay but the last home game was at Treyew and so will be all remaining games and the ground share is ended.

The statement from the developer was vague when previously it has been clear that development (a Lidl - there isn't one in Truro) would start this summer so possibly they will be playing at Treyew next season.

8 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

They played a few more at Torquay but the last home game was at Treyew and so will be all remaining games and the ground share is ended.

The statement from the developer was vague when previously it has been clear that development (a Lidl - there isn't one in Truro) would start this summer so possibly they will be playing at Treyew next season.

When is the new stadium and associated development at Truro supposed to happen Mr H ?

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

When is the new stadium and associated development at Truro supposed to happen Mr H ?

That's what the Cornish Pirates want to know.

It was an intended three way funding deal between:

The people who would use it (Pirates, Truro College and Truro City); there has been doubt about City's contribution but the Pirates' Chairman has said he will make up the difference so no issue there.

Cornwall Council who voted to approve their contribution subject to the promised central government money.

Central government money: application in but deafening silence.

The site exists, freehold owned by Pirates, and initial ground surveys have been done but without the government funding it's not going any further.

So it remains possible that it won't be built. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

That's what the Cornish Pirates want to know.

It was an intended three way funding deal between:

The people who would use it (Pirates, Truro College and Truro City); there has been doubt about City's contribution but the Pirates' Chairman has said he will make up the difference so no issue there.

Cornwall Council who voted to approve their contribution subject to the promised central government money.

Central government money: application in but deafening silence.

The site exists, freehold owned by Pirates, and initial ground surveys have been done but without the government funding it's not going any further.

So it remains possible that it won't be built. 

Blimey the county is crying out for sporting success. Pirates are closest to it, but does their owner have the means to go it alone ? I could be wrong mind, but does everyone in Cornwall buy into the Pirates anyway, who after all is a Penzance club, with lots of other former equals all over the county ?

23 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Blimey the county is crying out for sporting success. Pirates are closest to it, but does their owner have the means to go it alone ? I could be wrong mind, but does everyone in Cornwall buy into the Pirates anyway, who after all is a Penzance club, with lots of other former equals all over the county ?

Sporting success and a great sporting facility including a stadium are indeed wanted but from listening to phone ins there is considerable opposition to builing such stadium at Truro.  Truro is an absolute traffic nightmare even on a good day.  It is some way from the main trunk road, the A30, and a very long way from the east, and to a lesser extent, the west of the county.  If your top criteria were easy access and short journey times for the majority of people with the potential for growth then you'd have it close to the A30 in the section that is dualled, i.e. from Devon to Carland cross, and with reasonable access from the airport.  Something like Victoria/ Fraddon / Indian Queens would be the obvious location.

Rugby is a sport of relative success in Cornwall and outside of the hard core fans most fans are fairweather and will turn out for a big game whoever it is that is playing; be that Pirates, Redruth, Camborne whatever.  As it stands Pirates are the successful club but are playing at poor facilities down near Lidl in Penzance but have also played at Truro and Camborne so have support outside of Penzance.  In terms of success that neutrals will get behind it really is only the Pirates that will cut it.

Truro City are to my mind a bit of a false concern.  This is a normal town amateur club which leapt up the leagues without much increasing the support because their then chairman was funding it by having secretly sold the ground; clubs like Bodmin and to an extent Falmouth have been more successful in the longer term.  They are given hugely disproportionate coverage in the local media because the local sports reporters are excited that they can finally talk about near league football but their average attandance is tiny and they only continue in Conference South because their owners are putting in £250k a year.

What is really lacking is other sporting facilities - decent pool, athletics track, cycling, sports hall for gymnastics, racquet sports, five a side - and it would be better to go this way with a smaller and cheaper stadium in a better location if the genuine aim is to bring sporting success and increased participation and spectating.

Just speaking personally if the new stadium was at Truro then I doubt I would go but if it was just off the dualled A30 with plenty of parking then I could see myself turning out for regular rugby and football games; particulalry any evening ones.

Sporting success and a great sporting facility including a stadium are indeed wanted but from listening to phone ins there is considerable opposition to builing such stadium at Truro.  Truro is an absolute traffic nightmare even on a good day.  It is some way from the main trunk road, the A30, and a very long way from the east, and to a lesser extent, the west of the county.  If your top criteria were easy access and short journey times for the majority of people with the potential for growth then you'd have it close to the A30 in the section that is dualled, i.e. from Devon to Carland cross, and with reasonable access from the airport.  Something like Victoria/ Fraddon / Indian Queens would be the obvious location.

Rugby is a sport of relative success in Cornwall and outside of the hard core fans most fans are fairweather and will turn out for a big game whoever it is that is playing; be that Pirates, Redruth, Camborne whatever.  As it stands Pirates are the successful club but are playing at poor facilities down near Lidl in Penzance but have also played at Truro and Camborne so have support outside of Penzance.  In terms of success that neutrals will get behind it really is only the Pirates that will cut it.

Truro City are to my mind a bit of a false concern.  This is a normal town amateur club which leapt up the leagues without much increasing the support because their then chairman was funding it by having secretly sold the ground; clubs like Bodmin and to an extent Falmouth have been more successful in the longer term.  They are given hugely disproportionate coverage in the local media because the local sports reporters are excited that they can finally talk about near league football but their average attandance is tiny and they only continue in Conference South because their owners are putting in £250k a year.

What is really lacking is other sporting facilities - decent pool, athletics track, cycling, sports hall for gymnastics, racquet sports, five a side - and it would be better to go this way with a smaller and cheaper stadium in a better location if the genuine aim is to bring sporting success and increased participation and spectating.

Just speaking personally if the new stadium was at Truro then I doubt I would go but if it was just off the dualled A30 with plenty of parking then I could see myself turning out for regular rugby and football games; particulalry any evening ones.

Thanks, good insight.

When the rugby Prem gets ringfenced will the Pirates bother? Would it be worth it?

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

As an aside to this I noticed an announcement in last week`s Cornish Guardian that the new link road from St Austell to the A30 is about to begin construction. There`s a lot of cheap land around there.

37 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

As an aside to this I noticed an announcement in last week`s Cornish Guardian that the new link road from St Austell to the A30 is about to begin construction. There`s a lot of cheap land around there.

Yes, very good point.  There's a lot of bleak unpopulated land around there so some forty acre complex including lots of pitches wuldn't be expensive.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Yes, very good point.  There's a lot of bleak unpopulated land around there so some forty acre complex including lots of pitches wuldn't be expensive.

The Eden Project showed what can be done with all the empty land around Clay Country so it would be great if they could make a substantial investment in a sports facility. I played against Biscovey and Charlestown youth and the facilities were crap; at Biscovey you get changed in the back of an articulated lorry!

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

3 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

The Eden Project showed what can be done with all the empty land around Clay Country so it would be great if they could make a substantial investment in a sports facility. I played against Biscovey and Charlestown youth and the facilities were crap; at Biscovey you get changed in the back of an articulated lorry!

Something like this would be a hell of a boost to the economy of one of the most deprived areas of Cornwall. With all due respect to what is a lovely city, Truro really doesn`t need all the investment that goes there - there are far more deserving cases - and that is what pisses a lot of Cornish people off.

7 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Something like this would be a hell of a boost to the economy of one of the most deprived areas of Cornwall. With all due respect to what is a lovely city, Truro really doesn`t need all the investment that goes there - there are far more deserving cases - and that is what pisses a lot of Cornish people off.

It's because the council sits there as does Radio Cornwall it's propaganda arm; Lawrence Reid at the time of the vote was immediately shutting down any line of argument that suggested the stadium should be built somewhere else.  It means that Truro gets looked at first every time; I used to work for the council so saw this in action. Places like Stratton, Liskeard, Bude and Saltash are just not on their radar.

There was no way that the "Hall for Cornwall" with all the millions of council subsidy was ever going to be built anywhere but central Truro and it was inevitable that the same would be tried for the stadium.

I really hope it fails to be built in its current proposed location and instead is built either by the A30 or the future St Austell link road as suggested here.

8 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

When the rugby Prem gets ringfenced will the Pirates bother? Would it be worth it?

Believe me Reg, a weekend away to Pirates at the Mennaye Field is a great trip - knocks most football away days into a cocked hat (whatever that means!).

Such a shame the Pirates have had to vacate there but fingers crossed a ground at Truro - or somewhere - will come to fruition eventually.

Personally, as soon as the game went professional I've been in favour of ringfencing and a strong case can be made for including a team from Cornwall if the sport was restructured into NFL-style franchise set up. However, without a new ground, this is a non-starter.

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Believe me Reg, a weekend away to Pirates at the Mennaye Field is a great trip - knocks most football away days into a cocked hat (whatever that means!).

Such a shame the Pirates have had to vacate there but fingers crossed a ground at Truro - or somewhere - will come to fruition eventually.

Personally, as soon as the game went professional I've been in favour of ringfencing and a strong case can be made for including a team from Cornwall if the sport was restructured into NFL-style franchise set up. However, without a new ground, this is a non-starter.

Have heard good reports of the craic from trips to the Mennaye, albeit never been myself. Ealing was good last season, great hosts. 

10 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

How many fingers crossed?

The club was sold on Friday though the new owner has not been announced as there is a confidentiality agreement in place.

The rumoured buyer, oddly enough, is Mousehole AFC.  This may be pure speculation however Mousehole, despite being a small coastal village famous mostly for its Christmas lights and how few people live there owing to the number of second homes, has a very ambitious and we'll run football club that is looking to jump up the leagues as Truro did and may just have found a cheap way to leap half a dozen leagues up the pyramid.

If the rumour is right then that would make sense of the confidentiality agreement as buyers usually want to appear on the front page of the local paper and be carried shoulder high down the Gloucester road.

Archived