IGNORED

More problems for Truro City

Lanterne Rouge

22 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The club was sold on Friday though the new owner has not been announced as there is a confidentiality agreement in place.

The rumoured buyer, oddly enough, is Mousehole AFC.  This may be pure speculation however Mousehole, despite being a small coastal village famous mostly for its Christmas lights and how few people live there owing to the number of second homes, has a very ambitious and we'll run football club that is looking to jump up the leagues as Truro did and may just have found a cheap way to leap half a dozen leagues up the pyramid.

If the rumour is right then that would make sense of the confidentiality agreement as buyers usually want to appear on the front page of the local paper and be carried shoulder high down the Gloucester road.

If true that is pretty left field! Presumably they would get the club for a nominal amount but be expected to stump up their share of the SFC costs?

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

If true that is pretty left field! Presumably they would get the club for a nominal amount but be expected to stump up their share of the SFC costs?

I hadn't heard of them before the rumour. I would have presumed that Mousehole had a football club but that was the limit of my knowledge.

If you do a search they look very professional and ambitious. There is a vacancy for a decent football team in Cornwall and there was nothing special about Truro before the money was pumped in; Bodmin or Falmouth were both much more successful.

If they have the money to pay their share in the SFC then they are de facto Cornwall's football club as the Pirates is the rugby club.  Every other football club is at the village amateur level.

4 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I hadn't heard of them before the rumour. I would have presumed that Mousehole had a football club but that was the limit of my knowledge.

If you do a search they look very professional and ambitious. There is a vacancy for a decent football team in Cornwall and there was nothing special about Truro before the money was pumped in; Bodmin or Falmouth were both much more successful.

If they have the money to pay their share in the SFC then they are de facto Cornwall's football club as the Pirates is the rugby club.  Every other football club is at the village amateur level.

You mention Bodmin. I`ve been a bit surprised they haven`t got involved when it became obvious Truro had problems - they did seem to be on the up but have stagnated a bit now I think.

On 09/10/2018 at 08:46, devoncider said:

Interesting that River Allen has decided to rejoin Truro after doing well at Tiverton in the league below. I wonder if it's a case of more money or the long commute?

On 09/10/2018 at 08:53, Red Right Hand said:

The commute had a lot to do with it I imagine, a lot easier to get over to Torquay than down to Truro and fed up with getting picked up at the services for away games. He`s a Plymouth lad so could well still live there. 

Still, Truro need all the help they can get at the moment so fair play to him.

I don't know if either are you are from or live down that way, I was born and lived in plumduff  until i was 21 quite a few of the lads i went to school with a played football with after i left school played in the then South Western league and Western league football, quite a few of them played for Porthleven over time, if you you know the area you'll know what a commute that is, and that was back in the late 80's early 90's being from the SW travelling for football on that part of the pyramid is part and parcel of the game down there.

He still lives and works in plumduff  he works at Marine Projects (Princess Yachts as it's now called) with a few mates of mine.

7 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

You mention Bodmin. I`ve been a bit surprised they haven`t got involved when it became obvious Truro had problems - they did seem to be on the up but have stagnated a bit now I think.

Agreed.  They were always a cut above the other teams and every season had at least one league club down for a friendly.  Quite often it was a Neil Warnock team as he lives down here but they were still going to Bodmin rather than anywhere else.

Bodmin is also what I would regard as a prime football town - decent size, working class and with not much going for it.  Those are the sort of towns that produce strong football teams.

It's relative though as local football in Conrwall has always been very poorly supported.  Truro are only where they are because the previous chairman funded the losses by selling the ground from under them and the currnet owners have been putting in £250k a year between them; maybe not entirely altruistically as there was a £2m payment coming up when development started on the ground albeit earmarked for the SFC.

The only way you could make money from a football club in Cornwall would be by getting into the Premiership and then with all the TV money it wouldn't matter that you only had a couple of hundred spectators each week; maybe Mousehole is going to buy Wolves next.

On 10/01/2019 at 10:07, Eddie Hitler said:

Sporting success and a great sporting facility including a stadium are indeed wanted but from listening to phone ins there is considerable opposition to builing such stadium at Truro.  Truro is an absolute traffic nightmare even on a good day.  It is some way from the main trunk road, the A30, and a very long way from the east, and to a lesser extent, the west of the county.  If your top criteria were easy access and short journey times for the majority of people with the potential for growth then you'd have it close to the A30 in the section that is dualled, i.e. from Devon to Carland cross, and with reasonable access from the airport.  Something like Victoria/ Fraddon / Indian Queens would be the obvious location.

Rugby is a sport of relative success in Cornwall and outside of the hard core fans most fans are fairweather and will turn out for a big game whoever it is that is playing; be that Pirates, Redruth, Camborne whatever.  As it stands Pirates are the successful club but are playing at poor facilities down near Lidl in Penzance but have also played at Truro and Camborne so have support outside of Penzance.  In terms of success that neutrals will get behind it really is only the Pirates that will cut it.

Truro City are to my mind a bit of a false concern.  This is a normal town amateur club which leapt up the leagues without much increasing the support because their then chairman was funding it by having secretly sold the ground; clubs like Bodmin and to an extent Falmouth have been more successful in the longer term.  They are given hugely disproportionate coverage in the local media because the local sports reporters are excited that they can finally talk about near league football but their average attandance is tiny and they only continue in Conference South because their owners are putting in £250k a year.

What is really lacking is other sporting facilities - decent pool, athletics track, cycling, sports hall for gymnastics, racquet sports, five a side - and it would be better to go this way with a smaller and cheaper stadium in a better location if the genuine aim is to bring sporting success and increased participation and spectating.

Just speaking personally if the new stadium was at Truro then I doubt I would go but if it was just off the dualled A30 with plenty of parking then I could see myself turning out for regular rugby and football games; particulalry any evening ones.

There may be other problems due to the Cornwall FC do not like the siting of this Stadium, see link below

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-fa-snubs-wrong-place-2565324

3 minutes ago, KernowRed said:

There may be other problems due to the Cornwall FC do not like the siting of this Stadium, see link below

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-fa-snubs-wrong-place-2565324

They're quite right.  Truro is one of the worst places to site anything owing to it not being on the A30 and having horrendous traffic problems.

IIRC it's £11m of money all told: £2m central government (may not happen), £3m council, £2m Truro College, £2m Pirates, £2m football club.  Pirates will pick up the football club £2m if that isn't forthcoming.

The only reason for it being in Truro is Truro College (£2m) and Truro City (£2m) so £4m out of £11m. 

If Mousehole buy Truro City or Truro City just drop out then it's down to just £2m out of £11m that want it in Truro and that may tip the balance into siting it somewhere more sensible.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Agreed.  They were always a cut above the other teams and every season had at least one league club down for a friendly.  Quite often it was a Neil Warnock team as he lives down here but they were still going to Bodmin rather than anywhere else.

Bodmin is also what I would regard as a prime football town - decent size, working class and with not much going for it.  Those are the sort of towns that produce strong football teams.

It's relative though as local football in Conrwall has always been very poorly supported.  Truro are only where they are because the previous chairman funded the losses by selling the ground from under them and the currnet owners have been putting in £250k a year between them; maybe not entirely altruistically as there was a £2m payment coming up when development started on the ground albeit earmarked for the SFC.

The only way you could make money from a football club in Cornwall would be by getting into the Premiership and then with all the TV money it wouldn't matter that you only had a couple of hundred spectators each week; maybe Mousehole is going to buy Wolves next.

Argyle have a considerable fan base in the Duchy, and some quite die hard ones to boot, even if a team got into the league i could never see them getting a decent crowd, it'd be on par with Scottish league 2 or worse

1 hour ago, northsomersetred said:

Argyle have a considerable fan base in the Duchy, and some quite die hard ones to boot, even if a team got into the league i could never see them getting a decent crowd, it'd be on par with Scottish league 2 or worse

They do but that's by default as if you want to watch league football then Plymouth is the closest; and especially so from SE Cornwall.

I could see an established League club in mid Cornwall (and not in Truro!) building its crowd up towards 5,000 but it would take years and millions of pounds. 

As an update to the takeover I have seen that the posts suggesting Mousehole on their Facebook page have been deleted; whereas the other comments remain.

This makes me think that incredibly the rumours are true otherwise why remove them?

Edit: Mousehole have got the funding and have a professional set up.  This was news to me.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/sport/football/football-news/english-premier-league-leeds-united-1315021

Well the Mousehole rumour was wrong.  They have been bought by Dicky Evans, owner of the Cornish Pirates rugby team.

Or as he should now be known: Cornwall's Steve Lansdown.

It makes some kind of sense as he'll now own two thirds of the stadium but Truro City is losing £250k a year and a shared stadium won't fix that.

Edit for link:

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornish-pirates-owner-dicky-evans-2623117

1 minute ago, Newquay-Red said:

Can’t say I’m surprised. The resources allocated to Treliske is unacceptably low. The Red Cross have had to partially staff the place a couple of times following a ‘code black’; that’s how bad it is!

I know. I purposely didn`t make a connection in my post for fear of being seen as slagging off the NHS but I watch the local news down here same as you mate.

3 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Can’t say I’m surprised. The resources allocated to Treliske is unacceptably low. The Red Cross have had to partially staff the place a couple of times following a ‘code black’; that’s how bad it is!

Derriford isn't brilliant but compared to Treliske it's a bright and shining star.

I know three people who have died at Treliske in routine operations.  Their families have been too griefstruck to sue.

I would sue them until they squealed if it happened to any of mine; not that they would be going anywhere near Treliske in the first place if I had anything to do with it.

17 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Gateshead have been thrown out of the National League for various misdeeds that make Bolton look like a well-run football club meaning that Aldershot may get a reprieve and also Truro.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48398640

Not finalised yet as they can appeal. Final non league placements will be known after the meeting on 8 June. 

Archived