IGNORED

A bad run doesn't mean the gaffer has to be lynched

reddogkev

Doesn't it drive you all to despair?  Whenever City's form dips into losses and draws, the knives come straight out for LJ.  We all know it's going to happen on here, but it is still pretty sad.

For me, it's simple - despite the improved Stadium and facilities, we are still a relatively small club for this league (growing bigger each season, I might add).  Of course we are going to have bad runs, as most teams do in the Championship (other than the teams who get promoted).  It doesn't mean LJ should become the source of such ill-feeling.

We all know this league is tough and competitive, there will be spells of losses / draws, in exactly the same way there will be surprise wins.

I reckon it is time to stop the LJ bashing whenever our form drops, it is tedious to read every single time ....

I think what causes frustration is that we almost seem to be heading towards a state of limbo where we are potentially good enough to challenge at the higher end of the league, but due to inadequacies in our playing, coaching, and management staff we end up getting dragged towards mid-table obscurity or lower table dogfights. 

It's almost like the club lacks a clear idea of what it wants to be in this league - are we here to make up the numbers or are we here to make a really good crack at the league each season? If it's the latter then going on these runs of losses and draws is just not acceptable and someone, i.e. the manager, has to take responsibility. 

Take a look at the end of last seasons form, not too good at the moment. So yes the manager has to be blamed for lack of effort on the pitch. Understand one or two players lacking form but all too often during the game the team becomes sloppy.

I dont think it's a lot to do with our form dropping, but the lack of change on the pitch when needed.

8 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

How about countless bad runs? 

Interspersed with an equal number of unbeaten runs, where we play some great football.

So long as the side overall keeps on improving, then I don't see how quite so many people have such a problem with Lee Johnson.

The knives coming out for him after every couple of bad results certainly feels more personal than normal calls for a managers head.

Should we find ourselves struggling at the wrong end of the table then of course his position should be under scrutiny, but at the moment we are one win away from the playoffs. A win that would surely have happened on Sunday had a couple of breaks gone our way in the first half.

• Admin
35 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Doesn't it drive you all to despair?  Whenever City's form dips into losses and draws, the knives come straight out for LJ.  We all know it's going to happen on here, but it is still pretty sad.

For me, it's simple - despite the improved Stadium and facilities, we are still a relatively small club for this league (growing bigger each season, I might add).  Of course we are going to have bad runs, as most teams do in the Championship (other than the teams who get promoted).  It doesn't mean LJ should become the source of such ill-feeling.

We all know this league is tough and competitive, there will be spells of losses / draws, in exactly the same way there will be surprise wins.

I reckon it is time to stop the LJ bashing whenever our form drops, it is tedious to read every single time ....

I think part of the problem is our owner comes out and says he expects a top 6 finish etc, many of us buy into this belief and when we are see the same problems on the pitch unfolding in front of our eyes as in the past it's just pure frustration, and a sad feeling of de ja vu!

35 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Works both ways, their was a few on here thinking he could walk on water a few weeks back.

23 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Interspersed with an equal number of unbeaten runs, where we play some great football.

So long as the side overall keeps on improving, then I don't see how quite so many people have such a problem with Lee Johnson.

The knives coming out for him after every couple of bad results certainly feels more personal than normal calls for a managers head.

Should we find ourselves struggling at the wrong end of the table then of course his position should be under scrutiny, but at the moment we are one win away from the playoffs. A win that would surely have happened on Sunday had a couple of breaks gone our way in the first half.

The vast vast majority of comments are nowhere near personal. Love to know where it has been if I’m wrong on that one? From what I see it’s just debate about his tenure and people are well within their rights - on a forum - to discuss his and the clubs performance.  I’m sure even LJ himself would accept that.    

The petty overreacting from some on here to people merely discussing his performance frustrates me and doubtless countless others, but again it’s a forum and people can discuss / act / say what they want.  He’s a marmite character - as most managers are - and as a result they will attract the most comment, be that positive or indeed negative.   

Like I said on another thread the Hull game is huge for him especially as really can't see us getting anything at Brentford. The bottom line for me though is LJ the man to get us out of this league (up not down!) and that answer is NO imo and he will eventually get us relegated if we keep him long enough.

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

The vast vast majority of comments are nowhere near personal. Love to know where it has been if I’m wrong on that one? From what I see it’s just debate about his tenure and people are well within their rights - on a forum - to discuss his and the clubs performance.  I’m sure even LJ himself would accept that.    

The petty overreacting from some on here to people merely discussing his performance frustrates me and doubtless countless others, but again it’s a forum and people can discuss / act / say what they want.  He’s a marmite character - as most managers are - and as a result they will attract the most comment.  

There are no personal comments, granted. But it seems that after every defeat the same people come out with the same comments, usually based around he has taken us as far as he can and any other manager would have been sacked.

The truth is that we are improving every season, we are finishing within a couple of league places either way of teams with managers that the same people regularly name as what we should be aiming for.

Lee Johnson is widely seen in the football world as one of the most promising young managers out there, and the majority of fans clubs in this division would give their right arm to have him in charge. You only need to listen to the fans view interviews that OSIB do after matches, he is regularly quoted as one of the things other clubs are jealous of us for.

The fact that it takes no more than one or two matches for the regulars to come on here saying he should be sacked makes me think that there are other reasons for them wanting him gone, and it seems likely to me that these reasons are more personal than the footballing reasons stated.

2 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

There are no personal comments, granted. But it seems that after every defeat the same people come out with the same comments, usually based around he has taken us as far as he can and any other manager would have been sacked.

The truth is that we are improving every season, we are finishing within a couple of league places either way of teams with managers that the same people regularly name as what we should be aiming for.

Lee Johnson is widely seen in the football world as one of the most promising young managers out there, and the majority of fans clubs in this division would give their right arm to have him in charge. You only need to listen to the fans view interviews that OSIB do after matches, he is regularly quoted as one of the things other clubs are jealous of us for.

The fact that it takes no more than one or two matches for the regulars to come on here saying he should be sacked makes me think that there are other reasons for them wanting him gone, and it seems likely to me that these reasons are more personal than the footballing reasons stated.

So, with all due respect, why say it then? It’s posts like this that just inflame the situation surely? Sorry - don’t mean to pick on you per se but as I said before all I see on here - at the moment - is reasoned debate from those who continue to question LJs tenure here and I’m starting to see more and more post that are basically attacking those that dare have those discussions.  Like I say - no offence meant to you - but it’s an example. 

I don't understand why people deal in absolutes. They statements they make would suggest that we never went on bad runs before we had this Manager, or that other Managers/Clubs never have bad runs. 

We have had 3 games where we have hit the woodwork on 4 occasions and created some good chances, but we apparently "don't score anymore", this despite scoring 9 goals in the last 7 games. 

They act like we are the only team who are inconsistent, despite us being in the middle of 13 teams with a 5 point spread between them.  We got 15pts from the first 10 games despite only getting 2 points from our first 3 in that group of 10, so why all the panic because we only have 1 from the first 2 games in this group of 10 so far? 

6 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

For me it’s the playing style and tactics, I haven’t got a clue what he is sending his team out to do. Seriously. If anyone can tell me what our game plan is it would be interesting. 

Your telling us he’s a promising young manager, I’ve read in the past that he is tactically astute, whereas me and many others just don’t see it. 

Please advise me why Wigan, Rotherham and the like are able to dominate us when we are constantly being told we have this good coach running our side. 

The results are the most inconsistent I’ve known in the 40 years of watching City, 3-4 wins followed by 5-6 without a win, it’s constant and has been for 3 seasons now. 

I really don’t need to read that LJ has everything under control, because I’m old enough and wise enough to clearly see he has not.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

I know i'm just picking one point of your post, but I think criticism should always be allowed. Of course some of it can be trivial and irrelevant.

It's his team he's set out, his training. would you not think some bashing is justified if we went 10 games winless?

Unless i'm totally missing your point and you're just tired of reading the same criticism again and again? 

1 hour ago, BCFC Grim said:

How about countless bad runs? 

For every bad run there’s been a good run.

Funny how people would never say “countless good runs” though isn’t it.

I’m far from convinced that LJ is the long term answer and the inconsistency is infuriating, but without doubt he gets more stick for the bad results than he does credit for the good ones. His overall record remains decent and under his tenure we have progressed up the league every year.

There is so little attempt at balanced assessment on here.

12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

For every bad run there’s been a good run.

Funny how people would never say “countless good runs” though isn’t it.

I’m far from convinced that LJ is the long term answer and the inconsistency is infuriating, but without doubt he gets more stick for the bad results than he does credit for the good ones. His overall record remains decent and under his tenure we have progressed up the league every year.

There is so little attempt at balanced assessment on here.

Sorry to be chasing you on your posts here ? (It's nothing personal, you just raise good debates) 

But that's life. People complain louder than they praise, as annoying as it is. 

50 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't understand why people deal in absolutes. They statements they make would suggest that we never went on bad runs before we had this Manager, or that other Managers/Clubs never have bad runs. 

We have had 3 games where we have hit the woodwork on 4 occasions and created some good chances, but we apparently "don't score anymore", this despite scoring 9 goals in the last 7 games. 

They act like we are the only team who are inconsistent, despite us being in the middle of 13 teams with a 5 point spread between them.  We got 15pts from the first 10 games despite only getting 2 points from our first 3 in that group of 10, so why all the panic because we only have 1 from the first 2 games in this group of 10 so far? 

We have never in our history had a run as bad as LJ has given us.

Moreover he seems prone to these bad runs.

If we keep leaving dealing with this issue, then a time will surely come when the situation in a particular season will prove beyond rescue

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

I don't see or hear that to be honest, and I would suggest that the fans of our last four opponents wouldn't be offering up a limb either.

50 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

We have never in our history had a run as bad as LJ has given us.

Moreover he seems prone to these bad runs.

If we keep leaving dealing with this issue, then a time will surely come when the situation in a particular season will prove beyond rescue

I am sure there were some pretty horrendous runs in each of our relegation seasons, especially during our fall from the 1st to 4th divisions. I think you need to take off your rose tinted spectacles Ivor, I remember far worse times than we have been experiencing lately. 

15 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

On multiple levels i do not believe he is sufficiently in control and this has not adequately improved in 3 seasons to illustrate improvements and progress is being made. 

Just curious, does the gradual climb in league position over the years have any effect on your opinion on him?

Do you just look at form? Or think we should be making more progression than we are? 

Archived