IGNORED

Reading away SOLD OUT - Ticket Requests (Merged)

forbespm

On 10/10/2018 at 19:25, Kid in the Riot said:

I had no idea who Malessa was...our sub keeper at the time apparently 

Tony. He was our youth team keeper at the time. Both our academy and reserve keepers were pretty awful at the time but he was the Malessa of two evils.

PS easily the most boring away trip in the entire football league. I know it's not too far but I will never understand why people who pick and choose their fixtures don't make a day of it and go North instead of driving for an hour just to have a drink in a Holiday Inn, watch football in a library, try and walk down a busy dual carriageway, before spending three hours trying to get out of a car park.

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

PS easily the most boring away trip in the entire football league. I know it's not too far but I will never understand why people who pick and choose their fixtures don't make a day of it and go North instead of driving for an hour just to have a drink in a Holiday Inn, watch football in a library, try and walk down a busy dual carriageway, before spending three hours trying to get out of a car park.

Bang on, just the reason I haven’t been to Reading for about 10 years

43 minutes ago, Olé said:

It's funny cos it's true..

On 10/10/2018 at 16:36, Nogbad the Bad said:

They've done it to try and regain their home advantage -  too many away fans - and to have home fans behind both goals, which prevents their team having to play towards a sea of hostile away fans for half each of home game. 

Reading fans clearly didn't like the previous set up and it seems their club, like others similarly affected, has listened to them.

The required allocation for away fans in the Championship is 2k. and clubs that go far beyond that are putting money before their home advantage.

Good for Reading imo., and I'd like to see AG following suit. 2k is plenty to create an atmosphere without allowing the away fans to overly affect proceedings.

Just can't agree with this. What about our own away fans affecting proceedings when we're the away team? We've taken 4k to Reading in the past. Using your proposal, 2000 City fans who might have wanted to go to this game aren't able to get a ticket. How is that a good thing? Why as football fans are we advocating an approach where football fans in general - ourselves and others - don't get to go to as many matches as they'd like to?

Clubs should give us a larger allocation if the demand is there and they are able to; likewise we should do the same, within reason. Any negative effect of an increased away allocation at Ashton Gate is cancelled out by the positive effect of having more of our own fans at away games like Reading; the overall impact is neutral.

Bigger allocations mean more football fans watch football, clubs make more money, there are less empty seats, the atmosphere improves. I just don't agree with this tit-for-tat approach to away allocations. Overall, no-one wins.

On 10/10/2018 at 18:09, BessexRED said:

Should’ve told them where to shove it mate.

I can see both sides of this, I really can....in the glorious terraces and stands days it was easy - but it’s complicated now - why shouldn’t fans who have purchased a SEAT, at considerable expense, be able to sit on the seat they have purchased and watch the game without being told to ‘shove it’ by you? It’s a genuine question.....and before the resident comedians jump on it - by SEAT I mean a plastic thing on which to park your butt...not a bloody car...

I just love football fans .... obsessed with car parking near as possible to grounds.  Just buy the relevant OS Explorer map and walk for 30 minutes and it's free!  Reading, Forest Green, Brighton ... even Ashton Gate ... I can already see my next book .... "Walking to Football Grounds" ... 

and that standing argument is so true .... you buy a seat to sit down ... I once new a guy who couldn't stand due to health issues and he had to miss watching most of a game at Wembley.  Nobody stands at the cinema or theatre .... it would be stupid ... 

50 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Just can't agree with this. What about our own away fans affecting proceedings when we're the away team? We've taken 4k to Reading in the past. Using your proposal, 2000 City fans who might have wanted to go to this game aren't able to get a ticket. How is that a good thing? Why as football fans are we advocating an approach where football fans in general - ourselves and others - don't get to go to as many matches as they'd like to?

Clubs should give us a larger allocation if the demand is there and they are able to; likewise we should do the same, within reason. Any negative effect of an increased away allocation at Ashton Gate is cancelled out by the positive effect of having more of our own fans at away games like Reading; the overall impact is neutral.

Bigger allocations mean more football fans watch football, clubs make more money, there are less empty seats, the atmosphere improves. I just don't agree with this tit-for-tat approach to away allocations. Overall, no-one wins.

If Reading F.C., and their fans, felt that giving so many away tickets was negatively affecting both home results and the match day enjoyment of the home fans it makes complete sense to reduce that allocation - which still remains above what they are obliged to give by the way.

Huddersfield did the same iirc. and home results improved, and many other clubs are removing away fans from behind the goal to areas of the ground where they play a less prominent part in proceedings. In Reading's case the change in policy to reinstate their fans behind both goals means the area put aside for away fans is now reduced accordingly.

Small margins, we are told, are vital in this league, so doing anything that might affect your vital home advantage - i.e. giving excessive away allocations - is foolhardy.

Why you expect clubs like Reading to provide allocations to BCFC in the many thousands so that every single Bristol City fan who might want to can go to the game is actually beyond me.

It's a small club mentality that wants to fill their ground with away fans just for a bit of extra income. Many clubs have seen how it dilutes home advantage and have been told by the fans who count most to them - their regular home supporters - that it diminishes the occasion for them so are doing something about it.

Some City fans may not like it on the odd occasion when demand outstrips supply but they should bear in mind we won't be getting 4k+ allocations if we ever get to the PL.

29 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If Reading F.C., and their fans, felt that giving so many away tickets was negatively affecting both home results and the match day enjoyment of the home fans it makes complete sense to reduce that allocation - which still remains above what they are obliged to give by the way.

Huddersfield did the same iirc. and home results improved, and many other clubs are removing away fans from behind the goal to areas of the ground where they play a less prominent part in proceedings. In Reading's case the change in policy to reinstate their fans behind both goals means the area put aside for away fans is now reduced accordingly.

Small margins, we are told, are vital in this league, so doing anything that might affect your vital home advantage - i.e. giving excessive away allocations - is foolhardy.

Why you expect clubs like Reading to provide allocations to BCFC in the many thousands so that every single Bristol City fan who might want to can go to the game is actually beyond me.

It's a small club mentality that wants to fill their ground with away fans just for a bit of extra income. Many clubs have seen how it dilutes home advantage and have been told by the fans who count most to them - their regular home supporters - that it diminishes the occasion for them so are doing something about it.

Some City fans may not like it on the odd occasion when demand outstrips supply but they should bear in mind we won't be getting 4k+ allocations if we ever get to the PL.

I can see we're not going to agree on this one. I simply don't agree with clubs giving disproportionately small allocations to clubs, to the detriment of football supporters as a whole, and with a net effect of zero advantage for anyone.

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Putting their fans behind the goal hasn’t done them much good this season

7 hours ago, Olé said:

True. Elm Park '84, about as different an experience possible.

10 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Completely agree 100%!  We have a ground of 27k, what’s the point of building it if we are going to limit the away end by 2k for the majority of games to so say not give an advantage to opposition by letting them have 4K away fans compared to our potential 23k home fans?  If 23k home fans can’t outsing 4K away fans that’s the real problem

9 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Very good points, and I must admit to being a hypocrite on this subject. I don't think we should give away the entire Atyeo to whoever, but at the same time moan when we don't get a big allocation ourselves . Typical football fan I guess.

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I can see we're not going to agree on this one. I simply don't agree with clubs giving disproportionately small allocations to clubs, to the detriment of football supporters as a whole, and with a net effect of zero advantage for anyone.

It really isn't a 'disproportionately small allocation' though is it, 2k+ is still alot of away fans and more than enough to enhance the atmosphere without taking over.

I don't agree there is zero advantage for anyone - the advantage comes to the majority, the home fans who are there every week, who have told their club that giving far more tickets than they are obliged to to away fans is detrimentally affecting their enjoyment of attending their local ground.

Any local football club exists for the local populace first and foremost and their views should be paramount imo.

29 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Completely agree 100%!  We have a ground of 27k, what’s the point of building it if we are going to limit the away end by 2k for the majority of games to so say not give an advantage to opposition by letting them have 4K away fans compared to our potential 23k home fans?  If 23k home fans can’t outsing 4K away fans that’s the real problem

The reality is there is really is no contest between a concentrated block of 4k away fans and the vocal City fans who will be split up all around AG.

Nothing to be ashamed of, that's just the way it is, and it doesn't just apply to Bristol City or AG.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It really isn't a 'disproportionately small allocation' though is it, 2k+ is still alot of away fans and more than enough to enhance the atmosphere without taking over.

I don't agree there is zero advantage for anyone - the advantage comes to the majority, the home fans who are there every week, who have told their club that giving far more tickets than they are obliged to to away fans is detrimentally affecting their enjoyment of attending their local ground.

Any local football club exists for the local populace first and foremost and their views should be paramount imo.

You are making the assumption that all people enjoy the game less when there are  more away fans present. I would always prefer to see a decent away following, which spurs our own fans on to make more noise, improves the atmosphere generally and makes for a greater occasion - both when we’re home, and when we’re away.

And I don’t see why home fans are somehow to be valued more than supporters who are willing to travel. Remember using your logic you are happy to deny your fellow supporter a ticket to a big away fixture.

30 minutes ago, harrys said:

Giving Leeds 7,000 tickets at Elwood Park today proved no advantage, petty minded of Reading to only give 2,000 tickets to away fans, hope they get relegated with Villa

Good point Harrys.   My bug bear with all this is the chopping and changing depending on team visiting and current position.  I think it should be agreed before the start of the season between all clubs what the amount of away tickets will be - be that percentage or actual number - then stick to it.  That way everyone knows where they stand.  They do it for cup games so do it for the league as well. All this chopping and changing is just a nause.  

12 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

The point of building it - I believe - was that we get to the point where we have 24k City fans coming every home game, with 20k season ticket holders, and then this becomes a non-issue. I think that is what SL has in mind.

I agree with Nogbad: Blackburn, Wigan, Preston, Reading are small-fry in this league and outside of the Prem will probably always need huge away followings to fill their ground.

We should be thinking a bit bigger than them. 

22 hours ago, swampy said:

and that standing argument is so true .... you buy a seat to sit down ... I once new a guy who couldn't stand due to health issues and he had to miss watching most of a game at Wembley.  Nobody stands at the cinema or theatre .... it would be stupid ... 

Go and sit down the front then, it’s not a ******* difficult concept.

Archived