IGNORED

Does the team need a shakeup- a change of direction?

Mr Popodopolous

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just curious, but what would people think if we went for our biggest team, and played direct / long and physically?

We havnt got the personnel to do it IMHO in any way well Dave

We are caught in some messy mix of styles as it is

Personally I’d go one up top for a bit

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agreed, we’re struggling with the accuracy of long balls from defense as it is.

We’ve shown in patches that when we pass quickly in triangles and players move & show for the ball it can be really effective. Problem is keeping it going.

Think we’re totally snookered with any change of style of play simply on the basis of the squad that LJ has assembled. 

We also have from our under-5s upwards playing the same style. 

Don’t panic Captain Mainwaring - just yet anyhows.

It would be useful if we did had at least a Plan B, if not a C and D though. 

I’m another who’d try and develop COD as a centre midfielder. Think he is just over 5 foot tall which would provide a giant amongst our minnows in there. This would be a good thing imo. 

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

Think we’re totally snookered with any change of style of play simply on the basis of the squad that LJ has assembled. 

I’m another who’d try and develop COD as a centre midfielder. Think he is just over 5 foot tall which would provide a giant amongst our minnows in there. This would be a good thing imo. 

He looks much bigger on TV

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

What’s missing is a midfield dynamo - in the Bannan mould. He ran the game in the second half on Sunday. City have nobody like him.

I reckon LJ will struggle to find one in the winter window. I can see a PL youngster coming in on loan.

Given LJ has not addressed Centre Midfield in any of his now too many transfer windows - I have no faith whatsoever he will in January. Crazy that the one CM he has signed, Walsh, is being given zero chance to show what he can do in the league, not even a sub appearance.

Actually the thought of LJ having/wasting another transfer window, is just as frustrating as watching the clueless 'style' of football LJ has served up in the last 4 games.  

15 hours ago, phantom said:

Have we had a settled side at all recently, it seems like we are having numerous personnel and formation changes every game 

I agree. I understand rest and rotation, injuries but we do seem to change for the sake of it, throw the baby out with the bathwater I think is the saying. I thought we only needed to make one change (Taylor for Diedhiou) after Rotherham for example and we changed 3 didn’t we?

We also can’t seem to change what’s happening on the pitch without waiting until the now standard 2 or 3 subs on the 65th minute. 

59 minutes ago, RedM said:

I agree. I understand rest and rotation, injuries but we do seem to change for the sake of it, throw the baby out with the bathwater I think is the saying. I thought we only needed to make one change (Taylor for Diedhiou) after Rotherham for example and we changed 3 didn’t we?

We also can’t seem to change what’s happening on the pitch without waiting until the now standard 2 or 3 subs on the 65th minute. 

Agreed on this- in-game tweaks don't even need to be substitutions- LJ is suirely tactically limited- or stubborn more like it.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just curious, but what would people think if we went for our biggest team, and played direct / long and physically?

At least it would be a consistent approach- all-in, but I think it wouldn't work personally.

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agreed, especially with the one up top. There isn't a cohesive style currently, messy mix as you say.

9 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

COD as a central midfielder in terms of development- would be a medium to long term project. How do we know for example anyway that Hegeler between the midfield and defence would be a write-off? Or Walsh in a 3? We don't- we can surmise but we don't know for sure. Not least because LJ doesn't seem able or willing to utilise his squad properly- Walsh in particular deserves a proper chance IMO. O'Dowda apparently is 1.8m which is 5 ft 10, 5 ft 11, Walsh is 5 ft 6, Hegeler 6 ft 3, Brownhill is 5 ft 10, Smith is about 6 ft and  Pack is 5 ft 11. Hardly like Sheffield United are the land of the giants in midfield but they play lovely football.

If this data true, what you say maybe a bit of a misnomer tbh.

12 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

I think most of our squad is much of a muchness.  Improvement must come from the coaching staff, and not just swapping one ordinary championship player for another.  The coaches need to focus on the strengths and weaknesses the squad have, maximise those strengths through thought out tactics for each game, with planned fallback tactical positions.  

They also need to Coach some basics.  Passing, centring, shooting, set pieces etc.  

Agree with most that you say- though I would hope that the players would know the basics in their sleep- well paid professionals in a League that is one of the top 6 in World Football.

Tactics though, these need to be much better- fallback positions for different scenarios- aka a Plan B or C? LJ and his official title is 'Head Coach' right? Well he needs to do a lot more of that- and if he's (as is likely) doing it already, it doesn't seem to be coming through on the pitch brilliantly right now. Maximise our strengths, minimise the weaknesses- while exploiting as far as possible the weak points of the opposition and negating their strengths. Not easy but when you don't have the biggest budget this is essential in order to compete.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

O'Dowda apparently is 1.8m which is 5 ft 10, 5 ft 11, Walsh is 5 ft 6, Hegeler 6 ft 3, Brownhill is 5 ft 10, Smith is about 6 ft and  Pack is 5 ft 11. Hardly like Sheffield United are the land of the giants in midfield but they play lovely football.

Korey Smith 6ft? Taller than Pack?

Were him and Frankie measured by the same bloke?

26 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Korey Smith 6ft? Taller than Pack?

Were him and Frankie measured by the same bloke?

Found a photo online of the teams coming out v Villa- note Korey in front on Frankie.

Not a lot of difference in height based on that pic. Could be a trick of the light/camera angle though.

bristol(1).jpg

You need a balance of course, but I stand by my overarching point which is that height in the midfield isn't everything.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Found a photo online of the teams coming out v Villa- note Korey in front on Frankie.

Not a lot of difference in height based on that pic. Could be a trick of the light/camera angle though.

http://365bristol.com/userfiles/images/bristol(1).jpg

Can't get that pic.

Look at this season's squad photo, Korey and Marlon both sat down in the front row and Pack looks much taller to me.

16 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Can't get that pic.

Look at this season's squad photo, Korey and Marlon both sat down in the front row and Pack looks much taller to me.

Well, it works for me- can see it fine. Clicking until you get the 'View Image' option then click on that should get it up if you're viewing on phone.

Yeah I'll take a look at all that in due course, as I say it could be a trick of the light,

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well, it works for me- can see it fine. Clicking until you get the 'View Image' option then click on that should get it up if you're viewing on phone.

Yeah I'll take a look at all that in due course, as I say it could be a trick of the light,

Got your pic. after the edit - thanks.

Have to admit Korey does look taller than I'd expect, more so than he appears during a game imo., and on that evidence bigger even than that well known gargantuan Frank Fielding. Which very few can claim.

All a bit of a mystery. 

Archived