IGNORED

Lloyd Kelly

Ohbasso

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

Because I'm not creaming myself over his superstar potential? He's showing very good promise, but cmon 

I'd argue there's a lot more to Lloyd Kelly's game than 'pace and a nice hair cut'. Look at his composure on the ball, the way he makes room for himself. Comparing him to Wes Burns (essentially a headless chicken) is laughable.

2 minutes ago, RedJim said:

I'd argue there's a lot more to Lloyd Kelly's game than 'pace and a nice hair cut'. Look at his composure on the ball, the way he makes room for himself. Comparing him to Wes Burns (essentially a headless chicken) is laughable.

It wasn't a direct comparison, it was in terms of hyped potential. I can see that went over your head. 

Burns showed potential when in the U21 welsh team (6goals in 18app), Kelly is showing it too but I hope their fates are different. 

It wasn't a direct comparison, it was in terms of hyped potential. I can see that went over your head. 

Burns showed potential when in the U21 welsh team (6goals in 18app), Kelly is showing it too but I hope their fates are different. 

Ok, but I don't remember Burns being hyped like this. He was only ever an occasional impact sub. Kelly hasn't even been out on loan like 95% of our youngsters. He's already a regular Championship full-back. Of course he may not achieve his full potential but I'd say he's quite a lot further along in his career development than your average 19 year old.

If he doesn't play Premier League then I'll be very surprised.

1 minute ago, RedJim said:

Ok, but I don't remember Burns being hyped like this. He was only ever an occasional impact sub. Kelly hasn't even been out on loan like 95% of our youngsters. He's already a regular Championship full-back. Of course he may not achieve his full potential but I'd say he's quite a lot further along in his career development than your average 19 year old.

If he doesn't play Premier League then I'll be very surprised.

Yeah that's true, Burns wasn't such a regular like Kelly currently is. You could also argue being in the u20's of England is more impressive than u21 Welsh 

Yeah that's true, Burns wasn't such a regular like Kelly currently is. You could also argue being in the u20's of England is more impressive than u21 Welsh 

Yep, I'd say so. Isn't Marley Watkins a Welsh international? Says it all... ?

11 minutes ago, RedJim said:

Yep, I'd say so. Isn't Marley Watkins a Welsh international? Says it all... ?

Yep, if you've been on holiday to Wales you might be considered for a cap or even know someone who went to Tenby years ago. Been there loads of times but always overlooked cos of that Giggs chap.

16 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Personally I don’t see all the fuss about Kelly. Quote. Some knob wit after Sunday on here, end quote

I find those sort of comments quite useful actually, it replaces any sign I might need to say "ignore this posters opinion of players in future".

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

Wes had pace and determination and was ok as a player (Better of course than we could all dream of being) Sturny

But you can see real quality in Kelly , his body movement , his touch , his composure , all things you can’t provide someone, you can help them , develop them but not give

Hes got all the bases to go a long way - seems very level headed and if he can keep learning...... whatever he aims for is achievable 

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Wes had pace and determination and was ok as a player (Better of course than we could all dream of being) Sturny

But you can see real quality in Kelly , his body movement , his touch , his composure , all things you can’t provide someone, you can help them , develop them but not give

Hes got all the bases to go a long way - seems very level headed and if he can keep learning...... whatever he aims for is achievable 

I have seen this too, no contest Kelly already shows more than Burns ever did. 

My issue lies with that English youngster only need to show pace and some basic (sometimes more) quality and they'll get hyped beyond belief. When I worked with MUTV James Wilson was hyped a silly amount because of his pace and the outcome of all that hype didn't live up to scratch. I'm just staying grounded unlike some claiming he'll play in England's first team or be a superstar etc.. 

That being said, even if Kelly stays the same player he is now throughout his career (which I doubt he will as he's learning fast) he's still a good player for us right now. 

30 minutes ago, Sturny said:

My issue lies with that English youngster only need to show pace and some basic (sometimes more) quality and they'll get hyped beyond belief. When I worked with MUTV James Wilson was hyped a silly amount because of his pace and the outcome of all that hype didn't live up to scratch. I'm just staying grounded unlike some claiming he'll play in England's first team or be a superstar etc.. 

That being said, even if Kelly stays the same player he is now throughout his career (which I doubt he will as he's learning fast) he's still a good player for us right now. 

I have seen many talented young players and many overhyped but Kelly has something very special, seemingly , innate .

If he keeps performing like he is on a regular basis he will surely be snapped up by a bigger club .

Just watching him it's hard to believe he's only nineteen. He is so assured.

LK is very promising but I do agree the rose-tints seem to get used on here a bit too much.

Potential doesn't always get realised. I don't think he does anywhere near enough going forward to be an England LB.

Whether the potential is realised as a CB we'll have to see. You can certainly get there as a class defender and don't need the same attacking qualities to make it.

26 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I have seen many talented young players and many overhyped but Kelly has something very special, seemingly , innate .

If he keeps performing like he is on a regular basis he will surely be snapped up by a bigger club .

Just watching him it's hard to believe he's only nineteen. He is so assured.

20* 

Not like that takes away any credit tho 

16 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I could see him playing for Tottenham in the next couple of years. They like young players and Alderwield seems to be on the way out, Vertonghen is not getting younger and Foyth not come along too much since joining. 

Anyway, agree with all you said. His potential is good enough for top 6. He just needs to stay focused on football and not let a few inevitable mistakes get to him. 

Spurs would be an excellent fit for him, like you said they play youngsters and English ones at that.

(Obvs I hope we have him for as long as possible :D) 

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

How much would he be worth now if someone comes in for him in January ?

All the big clubs must know about him now if he's been asked to join the full senior squad, albeit for one session possibly for now anyway

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

How much would he be worth now if someone comes in for him in January ?

All the big clubs must know about him now if he's been asked to join the full senior squad, albeit for one session possibly for now anyway

4m at a guess.

16 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I could see him playing for Tottenham in the next couple of years. They like young players and Alderwield seems to be on the way out, Vertonghen is not getting younger and Foyth not come along too much since joining. 

28 minutes ago, Icelandic Clap said:

Spurs would be an excellent fit for him, like you said they play youngsters and English ones at that.

Or Fulham - would be good competition for JB ?.

5 hours ago, Super said:

I like him but in fairness on here he can do little wrong he gets MOM when he has been terrible. 

I've taken little notice of MOM awards since they became home-team only. I can't remember (I was there though) if we had the audacity to award one in that infamous 0-6 v Cardiff. Perhaps Liam Fontaine got it for his goal?

Interesting to see who some people have chosen to compare Kelly with. (Burns, for example...) 

The player who springs to my mind is Steven Caulker, another outstanding defender who also displayed a remarkable degree of maturity (in a footballing sense) at a similarly early age. He was widely predicted to become a future England international. His subsequent personal, off-field problems have been well documented. If Lloyd can avoid serious injury or the sort of tragic meltdown that Caulker suffered, he can achieve great things. I didn’t think Caulker was “over hyped “at the time, and still don’t for that matter: his ability was never really in question as far as I’m concerned, but his fate serves as a cautionary tale as to what can befall even very gifted individuals. Kelly is equally talented, in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Miles more than that.  Not even what we got for a 29 year old centre back who went to another championship team.

Who was proven. LK has potential but hasn't done anything yet.

14 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Interesting to see who some people have chosen to compare Kelly with. (Burns, for example...) 

The player who springs to my mind is Steven Caulker, another outstanding defender who also displayed a remarkable degree of maturity (in a footballing sense) at a similarly early age. He was widely predicted to become a future England international. His subsequent personal, off-field problems have been well documented. If Lloyd can avoid serious injury or the sort of tragic meltdown that Caulker suffered, he can achieve great things. I didn’t think Caulker was “over hyped “at the time, and still don’t for that matter: his ability was never really in question as far as I’m concerned, but his fate serves as a cautionary tale as to what can befall even very gifted individuals. Kelly is equally talented, in my opinion.

You got it with caulker, but i think caulker was physically stronger, a beast. Kelly probably more of an athlete? Very close match though.

29 minutes ago, simon uk said:

You got it with caulker, but i think caulker was physically stronger, a beast. Kelly probably more of an athlete? Very close match though.

Yes, good call, I’d have to agree. Caulker was mature in terms of physique, as well as in his ability to read the game - a youth with the build of a grown man. One can’t quite say that of Kelly yet, though he is visibly, and quickly, gaining in strength and at well over six feet tall has the potential to become physically imposing if he bulks up, as he is likely to do. He is already pretty canny at using what strength he currently possesses against more senior, tougher opponents. If he backs that up with additional physical power as he grows older, he could become the complete package, especially in view of the athleticism you rightly identify. Will be very interesting to watch his development over the next year or two (assuming we get that chance, that is, and he has isn’t sold for big money). An exciting prospect.

9 hours ago, devoncider said:

I see Danny Rose has withdrawn through injury...

It couldn't happen, could it?

Chilwell is the only recognised LB in the squad.  Are the u21s away?

39 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He's with under 20s

But trained with the full squad.  Could be a bit like the Frank Fielding situation.

Archived