IGNORED

Puzzled by this well known 10 letter word....

WhistleHappy

Can you think of a 10 letter word beginning with S that most, if not all, of us will have heard and be familiar with... but we've probably only ever heard it used in one sentence... ?

I've spent ages trying to think of another instance where this word has been used (no doubt it must have been used somewhere but I'm B******d if I can think of another example) apart from the obvious one.

I know this is a bit cryptic and off the wall, but thought I'd ask if anyone can think what this familiar but rare word might be...

Once I thought of the word I've been completely stumped trying to come up another example of it's usage apart from in the one well known six word sentence.

So it begins with  'S' ,  has 10 letters  and you most likely know it in just this one 6 word sentence... 

I'll leave it at that for now and add an extra letter from time to time until someone gets the word I'm thinking of....

The 6 word well known sentence will be instantly obvious once the word is revealed.. 

The challenge then will be to come up an example usage of the mystery word in another sentence...

(its bugging me, I've searched the net and drawn a blank so far)

OK… (if anyone's interested, and wants to play along for fun) ....  Let's identify this ten letter word.

For starters: ….  S * * * * * * * * *  

2 hours ago, phantom said:

I'm guessing there is a twist to this otherwise this could take a while 

https://www.morewords.com/wordsbylength/10s/

Not really a twist, just a curiously familiar word that I have only seen and heard in this one particular instance..

As part of a six word sentence. 

I'm hoping someone ultimately finds this 10 letter word used  elsewhere - I've tried and it's really bugging me.

Just thought I'd turn it into a bit of a challenge to maybe take minds off of our current footballing ones.  

1 hour ago, Reigate Red said:

? how can a word be both a film and a song but only fit into one six letter sentence - intrigued.

Have discovered a book was published which inspired the well known six word phrase containing 'the word' in film and song (the book itself spelt 'the word' slightly differently and hyphenated it.. but did lead to the film and song)

Will add further clues later..

(btw it may have been used elsewhere, that's the challenge and what intrigued me, I've not found it though that's why this thread exists)

The 'S word' does derive from closely related ones which are widely used.. seems it's just this version of it (that most of us will all know) that seems to stand alone. It is defined in dictionaries by the way.  

In a roundabout kind of way the word I'm looking for could be described as very successful, despite it's rarity, due to it's associations.  

5 minutes ago, Markman said:

if the challenge is has the word been used before - just tell us it and we will tell you?

Too easy... :nono: 

I'm pretty certain it's been very rarely used though, ultimately , when revealed I think it will be useful to use in a City/Rovers rivalry way by making slight changes to the familiar six word sentence... Quite fancy using a version of it in my OTIB signature, or maybe SL would fancy using it as a corporate strapline for Bristol Sport!  Who knows?...

... let's get on with having a bit of fun with it first though, eh? :thumbsup:

21 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Good fits and efforts Phil... BUT those are pretty common everyday words... the one in question is pretty familiar to most of us but rare and not in common written usage.  

Safe House was a film, but was it also a song and, if so, part of a well known six-word sentence?

20 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Can you think of a 10 letter word beginning with S that most, if not all, of us will have heard and be familiar with... but we've probably only ever heard it used in one sentence... ?

I've spent ages trying to think of another instance where this word has been used (no doubt it must have been used somewhere but I'm B******d if I can think of another example) apart from the obvious one.

I know this is a bit cryptic and off the wall, but thought I'd ask if anyone can think what this familiar but rare word might be...

Once I thought of the word I've been completely stumped trying to come up another example of it's usage apart from in the one well known six word sentence.

So it begins with  'S' ,  has 10 letters  and you most likely know it in just this one 6 word sentence... 

I'll leave it at that for now and add an extra letter from time to time until someone gets the word I'm thinking of....

The 6 word well known sentence will be instantly obvious once the word is revealed.. 

The challenge then will be to come up an example usage of the mystery word in another sentence...

(its bugging me, I've searched the net and drawn a blank so far)

OK… (if anyone's interested, and wants to play along for fun) ....  Let's identify this ten letter word.

For starters: ….  S * * * * * * * * *  

Sex

Archived