IGNORED

Nile Ranger

Negan

I'm a big fan of the true geordie and his podcasts are brilliant. This interview with Ranger is well worth a watch. I used to think the guy was an idiot, and still do after watching it. However you can see that he is actually a decent lad who has had a tough time of it, some of it deserved, some of it not. Have a watch/listen if you have the time. 

Nile Ranger has talent. There is no doubting that. But he has been given chance after chance after chance and seems to wind up in trouble every time.

Perhaps, somewhere out there is a coach or manager for him who can bring the best out of him as a player and be a mentor as a person. 

Listening to him talk - you want to believe in him. But his track record speaks for itself. 

But on the flip side - perhaps because of his past, every chance he might get from now on people are just waiting for him to fail and that pressure gets to him. Im not defending his past issues for one second. And everyone deserves a second chance. Maybe even a third. But I think he must be on his 8th/9th chance now??

If he really wants to prove himself - he needs to drop down as low as it takes. Non league or even lower. Work hard, stay out of trouble, let his football do the talking and perhaps he can work his way back up. But he needs to work and prove himself for at least 2 years at low levels. Its not too late for him - but only he can salvage his career. I think there arent many football league clubs, if any, who will take ANOTHER chance on him.

But good luck to him.

8 hours ago, myol'man said:

Vile Ranger, nuff said.

7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Woman-beater.

**** him and his hard-done-by spiel.

Brian, the interviewer is a Newcastle fan and his career started all from a Nile ranger video where he gave a 10 minute rant after ranger came out and criticised the fans when Newcastle were in a right mess. Ranger doesn't get off lightly in this interview and every wrong thing he has done gets brought up, this isn't like a nicey nicey tv/newspaper interview. It honestly is worth the listen, to hear his side of things. Your mind won't change on him and as @Tim S has said, he's had about 9 chances now but he's only 27 and he's trying to get his life back on track. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back at L1/2 level soon. Seems like he's finally woken up to the fact his career will be ending soon.

3 minutes ago, Negan said:

Brian, the interviewer is a Newcastle fan and his career started all from a Nile ranger video where he gave a 10 minute rant after ranger came out and criticised the fans when Newcastle were in a right mess. Ranger doesn't get off lightly in this interview and every wrong thing he has done gets brought up, this isn't like a nicey nicey tv/newspaper interview. It honestly is worth the listen, to hear his side of things. Your mind won't change on him and as @Tim S has said, he's had about 9 chances now but he's only 27 and he's trying to get his life back on track. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back at L1/2 level soon. Seems like he's finally woken up to the fact his career will be ending soon.

I do like the TG and Lawrence double act, some of the podcasts are great.

I do wish Brian wasn't so anti the championship though! Thought we'd get some decent coverage when we played them 2 years ago, but alas, no!

3 minutes ago, devoncider said:

I do wish Brian wasn't so anti the championship though! Thought we'd get some decent coverage when we played them 2 years ago, but alas, no!

Don't think the views are there for him to talk too much about the championship. Plus as you know, he grew up at a time when Newcastle we're a very decent prem team, can't imagine he took Doncaster and Plymouth away too well. 

1 minute ago, Negan said:

Don't think the views are there for him to talk too much about the championship. Plus as you know, he grew up at a time when Newcastle we're a very decent prem team, can't imagine he took Doncaster and Plymouth away too well. 

yeah it's a shame but there's a massive drop off (as you'd expect) in YT views for PL compared to Championship. BoroTV and the guy who does talknorwichcity are the only ones I can actually think of. 

Legal history

In 2007, at the age of 15, he was sentenced to 11 weeks in a Young Offenders Institute after being convicted of participating in street robbery in Muswell Hill, London.

In May 2011 Ranger was questioned by Newcastle after posing with a replica gun in a photograph.[44]

On 27 August 2011 he was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a man in Newcastle city centre, leaving the victim unconscious in the street. Ranger was subsequently dropped to Newcastle United's reserve team. He was found not guilty of the charge in October 2012.[45]

In October 2011 he was charged with being drunk and disorderly in Newcastle's Cathedral Square. The charge came only days after Ranger had been reinstated to Newcastle United's first-team training after a three-month exile in the club's reserves.[46]

In March 2012, he was fined by The FA for making homophobic comments on social networking website Twitter.[47]

In the early hours of 23 September 2012, police were called to a house in Enfield, north London after reports of a disturbance. The front door of the property was badly damaged and Ranger was arrested at the scene and later charged with criminal damage.[48] The charge against Ranger was dropped that November after the court accepted his explanation that he had damaged the door after fearing his girlfriend was being kidnapped.[49]

On 25 January 2013, Ranger was arrested on suspicion of rape in a Newcastle hotel room.[50] In connection with the same alleged offence, Ranger was charged with rape on 8 July 2013.[51] On 4 March 2014 he was cleared of the charge at Newcastle Crown Court.[52]

On 14 March 2013, Ranger was charged with common assault after an incident in Newcastle city centre.[53]

On 23 March 2014, Ranger was arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage to a taxi in Liverpool.[54] He later pleaded guilty to criminal damage and was fined £1,000 and was ordered to pay compensation to the taxi driver for breaking a window. Ranger said that he was enraged by being called a rapist by the driver.[55]

On 28 April 2014 Ranger was charged with criminal damage after an incident at a block of flats in Swindon on 13 April.[56] He was later fined for damage to the door of his flat in relation to this incident which was captured on CCTV, in an incident where he additionally appeared to strike his female companion three times on the face.[57]

In May 2014, Ranger was found not guilty of being drunk in charge of his vehicle, after being found asleep in the driver's seat of his car on the M4 motorway.[58]

In December 2016, Ranger was charged with conspiracy to defraud and conspiracy to commit money laundering, in respect of offences alleged to have been committed in February 2015.[59] In January 2017, he pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud at Wood Green Crown Court.[60] On 23 May 2017, he was sentenced to eight months in prison.[9] On 11 August 2017, he was released after 10 weeks of his sentence due to "his consistently excellent custodial behaviour", remaining under curfew for the next five weeks.[61]

Salt of the earth, lovable rogue, decent lad who's made a few mistakes, tough start in life etc. etc.

He obviously has plenty of issues but the way our press works is pretty much a farce. They see a bad person so plaster it all over the paper and word it however way they want to.

The posing with a gun was just a BB gun - it shouldn't have been posted online in the first place, but how many newspapers ran the story after making it clear it wasn't even real?

The rape charge was a joke, and the woman should have been locked up for it, the damage to the taxi was fair game imo after being called a rapist by the taxi driver (after he was cleared). 

It seems other charges were dropped or not guilty as well.

The bloke obviously ain't right and really needs to sort himself out, and I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club, but the perception that most people have of him is pretty ridiculous - due to media hype and non story bull imo.

3 minutes ago, wood_red said:

He obviously has plenty of issues but the way our press works is pretty much a farce. They see a bad person so plaster it all over the paper and word it however way they want to.

The posing with a gun was just a BB gun - it shouldn't have been posted online in the first place, but how many newspapers ran the story after making it clear it wasn't even real?

The rape charge was a joke, and the woman should have been locked up for it, the damage to the taxi was fair game imo after being called a rapist by the taxi driver (after he was cleared). 

The bloke obviously ain't right and really needs to sort himself out, and I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club, but the perception that most people have of him is pretty ridiculous - due to media hype and non story bull imo.

Ok, taking out the not guilty, silly photo, and hurty words on Twitter you still have all of this and the perception that most people have of him is spot on IMO.

I have shortened the list but if he's done these things then there will be others for which he wasn't caught; and people can be found not guilty despite having committed the offence (most famously Ken Dodd or tax evasion).  Do you honestly believe that his only criminal activity up to 2010 was the one street robbery for which he was arrested and charged?

Legal history

In 2007, at the age of 15, he was sentenced to 11 weeks in a Young Offenders Institute after being convicted of participating in street robbery in Muswell Hill, London.

In October 2011 he was charged with being drunk and disorderly in Newcastle's Cathedral Square. The charge came only days after Ranger had been reinstated to Newcastle United's first-team training after a three-month exile in the club's reserves.[46]

On 14 March 2013, Ranger was charged with common assault after an incident in Newcastle city centre.[53]

On 23 March 2014, Ranger was arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage to a taxi in Liverpool.[54] He later pleaded guilty to criminal damage and was fined £1,000 and was ordered to pay compensation to the taxi driver for breaking a window. Ranger said that he was enraged by being called a rapist by the driver.[55]

On 28 April 2014 Ranger was charged with criminal damage after an incident at a block of flats in Swindon on 13 April.[56] He was later fined for damage to the door of his flat in relation to this incident which was captured on CCTV, in an incident where he additionally appeared to strike his female companion three times on the face.[57]

In December 2016, Ranger was charged with conspiracy to defraud and conspiracy to commit money laundering, in respect of offences alleged to have been committed in February 2015.[59] In January 2017, he pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud at Wood Green Crown Court.[60] On 23 May 2017, he was sentenced to eight months in prison.[9] On 11 August 2017, he was released after 10 weeks of his sentence due to "his consistently excellent custodial behaviour", remaining under curfew for the next five weeks.[61]

17 minutes ago, wood_red said:

This imo is what is wrong with modern society, "it's always someone else's fault".

If I attacked someone every time someone called me names (and I get it quite regulary being disabled) I would be spending a lot of my time in front of a magistrate.

Oh but he's had a hard life, and so have millions of other people but most work to better their lives through legal means and not act like self entitled pricks, but hey as long as we have people giving the likes of Nile Ranger cart blanche to carry on as because after all it wasn't their fault nothing will change.

Take responsibility for ones own actions and expecting everyone else to pick up the pieces, and the nasty media won't have anything to report/embellish!

I don't condone any of his convictions (bar the taxi one, and the taxi driver got off lightly imo), and am certainly not sticking up for him per se. All I am saying is the press would have anyone believe he is some sort of big time gangster running around town with guns and raping women.

7 minutes ago, redcityman said:

This imo is what is wrong with modern society, "it's always someone else's fault".

If I attacked someone every time someone called me names (and I get it quite regulary being disabled) I would be spending a lot of my time in front of a magistrate.

Oh but he's had a hard life, and so have millions of other people but most work to better their lives through legal means and not act like self entitled pricks, but hey as long as we have people giving the likes of Nile Ranger cart blanche to carry on as because after all it wasn't their fault nothing will change.

Take responsibility for ones own actions and expecting everyone else to pick up the pieces, and the nasty media won't have anything to report/embellish!

I agree he should take responsibility for his actions, but if I was called a rapist by a taxi driver I wouldn't be able to just walk away - whatever my occupation is.

23 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Laugh off being called a rapist? 

There was one fan on here posted last year how annoyed he was that some prat called him a paedophile because he was taking his grandson to the game.   He didn't proceed to beat up the guy.

Stupid insults happen and are not carte blanche for smashing up a cab.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

There was one fan on here posted last year how annoyed he was that some prat called him a paedophile because he was taking his grandson to the game.   He didn't proceed to beat up the guy.

Stupid insults happen and are not carte blanche for smashing up a cab.

I would bet there wouldn't be many instances where anyone would get away calling someone that with nothing coming back their way. We will have to agree to disagree as I do get your point, but if anyone calls someone a rapist or a paedophile they get whatever comes their way imo. Why if you call someone a different word for gay you are up in court and slated by all and sundry (and rightly so), but being called a rapist you seem to have to just 'laugh it off' or do nothing about it?

8 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I would bet there wouldn't be many instances where anyone would get away calling someone that with nothing coming back their way. We will have to agree to disagree as I do get your point, but if anyone calls someone a rapist or a paedophile they get whatever comes their way imo. Why if you call someone a different word for gay you are up in court and slated by all and sundry (and rightly so), but being called a rapist you seem to have to just 'laugh it off' or do nothing about it?

I'm not suggesting that people laugh it off but there is a yawning gap between laughing it off and causing £1,000 damage to a car within which gap is a whole range of acceptable responses.

Tbh I would be on his side in this particular case if he had just twatted the bloke; if you have been found not guilty of rape and the someone calls you a rapist then you are going to react.

1 hour ago, wood_red said:

If somebody calls you something that is hurtful and untrue, then of course you have every right of comeback.

But for that comeback to take a violent or physical form, then that is simply a sign of a lack of intelligence or self control.

On 10/10/2018 at 23:10, Negan said:

I'm a big fan of the true geordie and his podcasts are brilliant. This interview with Ranger is well worth a watch. I used to think the guy was an idiot, and still do after watching it. However you can see that he is actually a decent lad who has had a tough time of it, some of it deserved, some of it not. Have a watch/listen if you have the time. 

After having seen the video of him beating that woman, the bloke can F right O, absolute cretin.

On 10/10/2018 at 23:10, Negan said:

I watched/listened to the whole thing, and I enjoyed it, so thanks for posting.

There's so many things in this that give me mixed feelings about him and his situation.

There's no doubt in my mind he has been somewhat victimised by the press in a similar way to what happens to Raheem Sterling. However, it's pretty clear that he has messed up so many times where it was entirely his own fault. He was sacked for being late, that's completely inexcusable. Also, the man was handed my dream job on a plate and he f-ed it up, I find it so hard to have any sympathy for him.

His attitude still seems questionable in this video too, he laughs about certain things he's done in the past, when he should be showing more remorse. He clearly isn't that bothered, for example, that he was helping his mate defraud innocent people.

However, despite all that, I don't agree with the comments saying "**** him", and "Wouldn't piss on him" etc. I'm not convinced at all that he will turn himself around, but if he can, then I don't see why anyone would not want him to do that (considering the alternative is that he essentially continues to be a danger to society and himself). If he really wants to change then good luck to him.

On 11/10/2018 at 08:00, devoncider said:

Lawrence is very very irritating and quite full of himself I think.

On 11/10/2018 at 08:10, devoncider said:

yeah it's a shame but there's a massive drop off (as you'd expect) in YT views for PL compared to Championship. BoroTV and the guy who does talknorwichcity are the only ones I can actually think of. 

there's that weird guy from bolton with about 100k odd subscribers, apart from that is very rarely that any of the efl get any coverage

Archived