IGNORED

Only One Spanish player in our history

The Batman

As the title suggests.

I just went on my twitter and one of the sporting betting firms put up the following.

"name the team you support and the best Spanish player to have played for them"

Got me thinking and I could not think of any Spanish players who have ever played for us.

Had a quick cheat looking on some websites, and the only Spanish player we have ever had was a player called Luis Gilabert who played for our U21's and u23's. A free transfer from Valencia, but he left and went back to Spain a year later.

Did anyone see him play? Was he any good?

Initially I thought of Dani Rodriguez when we had him on loan from Southampton but he was Portuguese.

We've had / have Hungarian, Austrian, Danish, Swedish, Moldovan, Czech, Grenadian, Costa Rican, Dutch, Australian among many others. Never a Spanish player in our first team.

Considering the pre season camps in Spain, would have thought we'd have a look at some of the players over there and improve the profile of the club. Guessing the club have ignored this area with regards to Scouting. What happens in Spain to put people off coming to us?

Imagine a Spanish player understanding the British game. 24 Swedes watched City v Owls game and it was truly poor. Why people pay to watch this shit I don't know. Maybe your economy is going to well and you should stay in the EU. Not even the brain dead middle class will pay for this long term. Forget it Bristol Sport.

I've had queries about our scouting setup for a little while.

Tinnion in Spain was of course excellent- but that aside? We had a European dedicated scout called Matthieu Louis-Jean who helped identify Kodjia. He moved onto pastures new (Man United) so fair enough.

What I don't get though is why we put Mervyn Day- while no doubt decent at scouting and with a good knowledge of the game- in charge of European/International Scouting. Keep him on the Market he knows best and perhaps Had of Scouting and additionally appoint someone if we can who knows the European/foreign market and knows it well- with respect that may not have been Mervyn Day or Lil Fuccillo- of course they have roles to play but their impact in foreign scouting might be a limited one! Has Day ever coached or played abroad? It seems a bit like, while having him as head is a sound idea, having him in charge as he was of foreign scouting was a little ill-suited.

The structure seems a choppy one, unless we truly have given scouting overseas a wide berth because of some hit and miss transfers.

10 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Imagine a Spanish player understanding the British game. 24 Swedes watched City v Owls game and it was truly poor. Why people pay to watch this shit I don't know. Maybe your economy is going to well and you should stay in the EU. Not even the brain dead middle class will pay for this long term. Forget it Bristol Sport.

Yes. Nobody abroad is interested in watching English football. That's why the Premier League is so strapped for cash.

14 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Yes. Nobody abroad is interested in watching English football. That's why the Premier League is so strapped for cash.

It's one of the top Leagues no doubt- but head and shoulders above all else in that it has the best product.

Best marketed in the world essentially- Guardiola made a similar point on this.

In terms of overall quality, Guardiola believes that the Premier League is held in higher regard around the world than it merits because the 'product' it offers is sold incredibly well.

"The Premier League seems better than it is because of the way it's sold and the way they broadcast the product," the 47-year-old explained.

It's a contentious view but one worth looking at.

The English PL may not be the best in terms of technical quality but it’s far and away the quickest and most competitive of them all. 

It what other European leagues do the top clubs lose to bottom or mid table ones?  It’s a regular occurrence in PL.

Why did top managers the likes of Pep, Mourinho, Benitez all want to manage in the PL? Because it’s brilliant is why.....

@Robbored

Quickest yes.

Most competitive? To a point. I can actually prove or disprove in recent years top 6 vs the rest in the big European Leagues- and the gap ain't as big as is often made out. I agree it's the most competitive but I take some of the hype with a pinch of salt. What it does have though is perhaps the fairest distribution of Europe's top Leagues in terms of income which helps somewhat! Leicester winning the top flight was wonderful, so was Chelsea down in 8th, Liverpool in 10th- that year 3 of the traditional Big 4 missed the CL (Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd). However it's also widely acknowledged that the top sides underperformed that year- well not all o f them but some of them- and in summer 2016 their appointments and their spending sprees were designed to try to stop another Leicester type situation.

2016/17 Premier League- Top 6 vs the rest P168W121D30L17PTS393

PTS P% to the Top 6=77.98%. Loss% to the top 6 about 10.11%.

2017/18- Premier League= Top 6 vs the rest P168W117D31L20PTS382

PTS % to the Top 6=75.79%.

This came in a year that Arsenal underperformed Horribly. Loss % to the top 6 about 11.90%.

Current (2018/19) Premier League- Top 6 vs the rest- and it's only early days to be fair so it may change to a lower rate.

P36W30D3L3

PTS % to the Top 6=86.11%

% Lost by the top 6=8.33%

While it may- and I'm yet to analyse other European Leagues so can't give a full dataset but I'll take the view that it most likely does- may have a better competitive balance, it's hardly stellar is it!! However it has markedly less blowouts/total thrashings than La Liga and Ligue 1 in particular, that I will totally agree with.

@Drew Peacock You might want to read a comment by Pep said a little while ago- oddly the English media didn't cover it- fancy.

Anyway yeah, on topic in hand- don't remember any Spanish players.

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

My hero!

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've had queries about our scouting setup for a little while.

Tinnion in Spain was of course excellent- but that aside? We had a European dedicated scout called Matthieu Louis-Jean who helped identify Kodjia. He moved onto pastures new (Man United) so fair enough.

What I don't get though is why we put Mervyn Day- while no doubt decent at scouting and with a good knowledge of the game- in charge of European/International Scouting. Keep him on the Market he knows best and perhaps Had of Scouting and additionally appoint someone if we can who knows the European/foreign market and knows it well- with respect that may not have been Mervyn Day or Lil Fuccillo- of course they have roles to play but their impact in foreign scouting might be a limited one! Has Day ever coached or played abroad? It seems a bit like, while having him as head is a sound idea, having him in charge as he was of foreign scouting was a little ill-suited.

The structure seems a choppy one, unless we truly have given scouting overseas a wide berth because of some hit and miss transfers.

Because like father and like son.

Neither seem to be very comfortable with non British players. Yet another reason for change.

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Because like father and like son.

Neither seem to be very comfortable with non British players. Yet another reason for change.

Perhaps that is it- I'm querying why the club didn't replace Matthieu Louis-Jean with a dedicated foreign scout- in addition to what we already had aka Mervyn Day etc- unless we think LJ made that call?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The English PL may not be the best in terms of technical quality but it’s far and away the quickest and most competitive of them all. 

It what other European leagues do the top clubs lose to bottom or mid table ones?  It’s a regular occurrence in PL.

Why did top managers the likes of Pep, Mourinho, Benitez all want to manage in the PL? Because it’s brilliant is why.....

Barcelona lost to Leganes two weeks ago!

You don’t think there are plenty of “top managers” all over Europe then? and the three you mention have spent more time managing in other leagues than the Prem I would think.

Other than the 3-4 top sides in the Prem, the quality of football in ( say) Spain is far superior, 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It really isn’t that regular. Granted, there’s more top teams in the premier league than say La Liga but it’s still rather predictable. Look at the top 3 already.

If you want unpredictability then it’s all about the championship.

I can’t think of any Spaniards at City either

9 minutes ago, David Brent said:

It really isn’t that regular. Granted, there’s more top teams in the premier league than say La Liga but it’s still rather predictable. Look at the top 3 already.

If you want unpredictability then it’s all about the championship.

I can’t think of any Spaniards at City either

Not just the top 3 either.

Record of the top 6 vs the rest- when I say the top 6 I know Man Utd a bit down the table, but the top 6 of the last 2 seasons includes them.

Current (2018/19) Premier League- Top 6 vs the rest- and it's only early days to be fair so it may change to a lower rate.

P36W30D3L3

PTS % to the Top 6=86.11%

% Lost by the top 6=8.33%

That's far from wildly unpredictable- actually funny you should mention La Liga, Sevilla are top after 8 games, Real Madrid are 4th- Valencia who finished 4th and are playing CL are 14th.

The PL while one of the most competitive top tiers- it is somewhat overstated in this respect.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

It what other European leagues do the top clubs lose to bottom or mid table ones?  It’s a regular occurrence in PL....

No it’s not....at the start of this year in the premier league the top 6 had already put 100 goals past the bottom clubs, winning 31 of the 42 games against them and losing only two....

Archived