IGNORED

Seeing city players in public

When the river runs

45 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Used to see Aden Flint all over the place.  B&Q, Waitrose, Driving between Portishead & Clevedon, he even overtook me on the M5 recently 

Portishead seemsveey popular for City players. How many of them live there?

Frankie does, I know that. Some of them also have flats near the M Shed.

2 hours ago, Club and Country said:

They had a minder!?

Can't say I'm wildly surprised about it.

If we reach the PL this and similar- it'll be a lot more commonplace I'm suire- trip to Las Vegas seems a likely place for players to have a minder. Actually it's been around for a while, probably just filtering down the last few years.

Seen a few city players in Cabot Circus but never had the desire to speak to one.

Did see Brian Tinnion (when he was manager) in a bar on Corn Street and he was drunk and very sad propped up on the bar and I nodded my head at him and flashed an awkward smile as I waited to order a cider and he looked up and said:

BT>‘Alright ( sad face) did you see it today?’

Me>‘Yeah’

BT>‘What did you think’ ( we had lost 4-1 to someone)

Me> ‘It wasn’t great’

BT> ( with an air of resignation in his voice) ‘I know,  I’m sorry ‘

It was quite a somber affair.

Seen flinty in the bookies kicking the machine apparently lost a score! Packs always about portishead thinks hes the big i am! Frank is a top bloke see him all the time as his daughter is friends with mine .cods a nice bloke too lives near me boy! Guess it depends if they've won or lost what mood their in.but most the lads are sound iv run into quite a few

20 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

Seen flinty in the bookies kicking the machine apparently lost a score! Packs always about portishead thinks hes the big i am! Frank is a top bloke see him all the time as his daughter is friends with mine .cods a nice bloke too lives near me boy! Guess it depends if they've won or lost what mood their in.but most the lads are sound iv run into quite a few

Flint kicked the machine for losing £20 ?

On 12/10/2018 at 11:56, spudski said:

Had a lovely chat with Korey Smith the other weekend. He was in Browns with his family and friends. Wouldn't have interrupted him, but he had to ask me to get by on his Crutches when leaving. I just said...'Korey isn't it?'...and held out my hand to shake...forgetting he was holding crutches :laugh:...started talking about City and other stuff...lovely chap...actually taller in the flesh than he looks on the pitch for some odd reason. Was happy to take time and talk, even though his friends and family were waiting...

I think most footballers are happy to talk, as long as you don't start acting like an idiot and start asking questions that you know they can't answer.

Freeman was a regular at Browns as well, seen LJ twice in Broadmead & Cotterill & his Mrs twice in Harvey Nicks

Met Cotts in Broadmead M&S one lunchtime during ‘the’ season. We were both looking together at the salad section, admiring the coleslaw variants when I mustered up the courage to say ‘thank you for the great season so far’. He shook my hand and thanked me for the support and said that he hoped it continued. He was **** scary though for some reason, perfectly pleasant and polite but had an ‘aura’ about him, so much so that I never did get my coleslaw as I buggered off sharpish.   All my city mates still rib me about it now! 

Used to see Scotty out and about with Louis, Alex Russell etc around Clifton and Whiteladies and would always make a Bee line to tell him how much I loved him and how much the Cardiff goal celebration was the best ever. He always took it very well bless him! 

The only City player I've bumped into and spoken to was Andy Cole in Jaspers on Park Row. A right miserable sod.

I did bump into Barry Hayles on Corn St once not long after he had signed for Fulham. I asked him how Keegan (manager of Fulham at the time) took BH's comment of I hope we win but  I don't want to score when Fulham played the G*s (Yeah, it was that long ago). He said KK went mental! Made me chuckle.

I was working in White City in London and saw Nathan Dyer wondering about. I tentatively said his name and he replied so I knew it was him. He seemed very surprised anyone recognised him and we had a good 15 minute chat about football. It was the season Swansea had just got promoted to them Prem and I did ask him if he wanted to join us instead.

I've also had Darron Gibson as a customer. He was waiting for a new bumper for his Nissan GTR. It wasn't long after he had crashed into a group of cyclists because he was drunk... I did congratulate him on Ireland qualifying for what ever tournament they qualified for even though I don't think he played. He seemed a nice bloke.

1 hour ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Seen a few city players in Cabot Circus but never had the desire to speak to one.

Did see Brian Tinnion (when he was manager) in a bar on Corn Street and he was drunk and very sad propped up on the bar and I nodded my head at him and flashed an awkward smile as I waited to order a cider and he looked up and said:

BT>‘Alright ( sad face) did you see it today?’

Me>‘Yeah’

BT>‘What did you think’ ( we had lost 4-1 to someone)

Me> ‘It wasn’t great’

BT> ( with an air of resignation in his voice) ‘I know,  I’m sorry ‘

It was quite a somber affair.

Such a shame.

Tinnion remains my favourite ever City player - best just to forget the management fiasco isn't it.

52 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

I am very, very, very surprised to read that Pack thinks he’s Billy Big Bollox. I’ve spoken to him loads of times and he is the exact opposite. Warm, friendly, funny and very chatty and certainly not up himself at all. 

Ive spoken to loads of players over time, some more than others. Korey is lovely, Flinty could be moody but always spoke, Mags was lovely too. Most are pretty quiet but I personally never found them rude.

As for players having real presence, not ours but Tony Adams for sure was immense and very chatty ( in a motoway Services). Of our players, Basso certainly had something about him when you spoke to him.

But for being a complete nutcase and a throughly good and nice guy with absolutely no airs and graces you can’t go wrong with Scotty Murray.

On 12/10/2018 at 17:04, Dylan said:

Very true, I wouldn't tell them they were playing crap even if they were. 

I told Matty Taylor that he's playing cracking and he loves getting stuck in, keep it up.I felt about 10 after though as I'm a complete stranger to him. I'm not a selfie or autograph type of bloke so it feels a bit awkward but I feel I should offer encouragement as I do every other week when they play.

Neither am I, but I would have had to have one with Taylor - just to show the Sags I know!!

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can't say I'm wildly surprised about it.

If we reach the PL this and similar- it'll be a lot more commonplace I'm suire- trip to Las Vegas seems a likely place for players to have a minder. Actually it's been around for a while, probably just filtering down the last few years.

We're the city lads sat at a table/booth in the club? If so, it comes as part of the package from the club. A very attractive, scantily clad female hostess and a huge minder. They check before hand whether you're happy for them to let on, or even select, girls to join you (and have your drinks all night)

Met Sir Alex at Chester races once when I was there with some mates. He chatted with us for a short time before going to owners area as his horse was running. Nicest part was after the race he made a point of coming back over to apologise if any of us had backed his horse! 

3 hours ago, arrytheb said:

We're the city lads sat at a table/booth in the club? If so, it comes as part of the package from the club. A very attractive, scantily clad female hostess and a huge minder. They check before hand whether you're happy for them to let on, or even select, girls to join you (and have your drinks all night)

Wouldn't know- wasn't there! However @cidercity1987 will be the one to ask in more detail. ?

However, that does sound likely. Also additionally read of Man It'd players having minders as separate from that on a recent preseason tour to USA.

Presumably minders in that instance to minimise risk of honey traps, antics- perhaps drinking with fans/members of public and ending up with a night in the cells or even just PR off the back of antics.

Pretty good shout from PR POV if it's this type of minder IMO.

3 hours ago, arrytheb said:

Basically that, a minder, a concierge, a bouncer, a host, whatever they are called 'protecting' their 'VIPs' in a booth.

6 hours ago, Vil1 said:

No chance flinty was in bookies playing the machine. Good story.....jackanory !

On 11/10/2018 at 16:48, Dylan said:

Do you tell them how they're playing good or bad ?

Or just ignore them,  as they haven't a clue who you are ?

I once, a while back, one Saturday evening, in Clifton, whilst rather well oiled, too oiled tbf, told Russell Osman like it is, or like it was, or at least what it had looked like it was to me that day just a few hours before, which wasn't very good, and wasn't what it should be, and wasn't what anyone wanted it to be, and I was taken to pieces by Mrs. Osman. Battered. She wasn't having it, she was very impressive. Clearly wore the trousers in the Osman house, although Russ definitely controlled the hairdryer. 

Working in X-Ray and MRI departments, I have bumped into a few ex City players. Due to the reasons for them being there, I try to leave them alone as they have more important stuff going on in their lives than dealing with my inane chatter, but have to say that Alan Dicks is a nice guy and Jon Economu was really friendly and more than happy to chat about old times. He made his debut in the first City match I attended.

14 hours ago, RedM said:

I am very, very, very surprised to read that Pack thinks he’s Billy Big Bollox. I’ve spoken to him loads of times and he is the exact opposite. Warm, friendly, funny and very chatty and certainly not up himself at all. 

Ive spoken to loads of players over time, some more than others. Korey is lovely, Flinty could be moody but always spoke, Mags was lovely too. Most are pretty quiet but I personally never found them rude.

As for players having real presence, not ours but Tony Adams for sure was immense and very chatty ( in a motoway Services). Of our players, Basso certainly had something about him when you spoke to him.

But for being a complete nutcase and a throughly good and nice guy with absolutely no airs and graces you can’t go wrong with Scotty Murray.

Absolutely agree about Marlon. Spoke to him once when we were struggling under LJ and he was very approachable and chatty, so much so we had to stop before his little lad who he was meant to be keeping an eye on wandered off too far and too near the water at the marina. Although this might say more about dads and their childcare skills ......

15 hours ago, Laner said:

Met Sir Alex at Chester races once when I was there with some mates. He chatted with us for a short time before going to owners area as his horse was running. Nicest part was after the race he made a point of coming back over to apologise if any of us had backed his horse! 

I like hearing anecdotes like this. I suppose these things are what made him so loved by most players/staff he managed.

I saw Lee Johnson at a grocery store in Knowle yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Archived