IGNORED

Seeing city players in public

When the river runs

I was in the Glasshouse, Nailsea last century (Portishead, according to some posts, is the new Nailsea apparently) when I spotted Mark Shail talking to a couple of mates. 

I went over and said, "Sorry to interrupt Mark but when you next see Liam Robinson, can you tell him that he's not to listen to some of the boo boys. I really appreciate the hard work he puts into the team."

Mark responded, " You can tell him yourself, he's now standing next to you. "

I did.

17 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wouldn't know- wasn't there! However @cidercity1987 will be the one to ask in more detail. ?

However, that does sound likely. Also additionally read of Man It'd players having minders as separate from that on a recent preseason tour to USA.

Presumably minders in that instance to minimise risk of honey traps, antics- perhaps drinking with fans/members of public and ending up with a night in the cells or even just PR off the back of antics.

Pretty good shout from PR POV if it's this type of minder IMO.

Sorry mate, quoted the wrong person. You all look the same to me on here ?

Seen Pack and Patterson up the bookies in clifton whilst Cheltenham was on.. Pato put a 4 fold on and my mate told him one of them won't win... My mate was right 3 of his came in and the one he had and the one my mate told him to do came home... His bet he put needed the go ahead from above so God knows how much he lost! 

Scott Murray came into a pub in Fishponds where I used to run karaoke nights - I'm talking probably 18 years ago or so - with a mate. He got up and sang a song (terribly) and we had a bit of a chat. Was heading up to kingswood so I warned him it'll probably be full of gasholes. 

6 hours ago, EnderMB said:

I saw Lee Johnson at a grocery store in Knowle yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

As sammo would say , just say no.

I bumped into the majority of the squad in Slug and Lettuce on Millennium Square after we'd clinched promotion. I was obviously in the mood to have a chat then. Had a short chat with Luke Freeman which basically consisted of me telling him how much I love him which I'm sure he appreciated...

They all started to walk into Lloyds a couple of hours afterwards and it only took them about 4 steps into the place before they realised they should boot it off in the other direction!

Back in the late 90’s I saw Carl Hutchings in PoNaNas in the Clifton Triangle. Told him I though he was great - fantastic midfielder. Geez - I must have been hammered. 

Often see Scotty Murray around - he’s always seems happy if you say hello - especially if you mention the 26 goal season and THAT goal celebration against Cardiff!

42 minutes ago, LilRascal said:

Back in the late 90’s I saw Carl Hutchings in PoNaNas in the Clifton Triangle. Told him I though he was great - fantastic midfielder. Geez - I must have been hammered. 

Often see Scotty Murray around - he’s always seems happy if you say hello - especially if you mention the 26 goal season and THAT goal celebration against Cardiff!

That's funny...because I also spoke to Carl Hutchings in PoNaNa's when he played for us. I didn't tell him he was great...but I remember him clearly telling me how difficult he was finding it and how much faster the Championship was. He actually looked shell shocked.

Glad the drinking and Clubbing Culture has been sorted at or club.

Always used to see players out on the piss during the season.

5 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Norman Hunter was lovely when I met him in about 1978 or thereabouts, and I'll never forget the words he said to me:

"Aye, I think so lad".

Buggered if I can remember what the question was though.

"With the benefit of hindsight, Norm, do you think it would've displayed international standard decision making if you'd booted that ball into the Royal Box, rather than fannying around trying to keep possession" ?

A few years back I was in a motorway service station taking a comfort break.  Mid go two guys came in, one stood to the spare space on the left the other to my right. As they chatted I recognise Scot Murray’s voice. To my right was Bradley Orr. As you don’t talk to strangers especially at a urinal I finished, zipped up and left.

10 minutes ago, gl1 said:

A few years back I was in a motorway service station taking a comfort break.  Mid go two guys came in, one stood to the spare space on the left the other to my right. As they chatted I recognise Scot Murray’s voice. To my right was Bradley Orr. As you don’t talk to strangers especially at a urinal I finished, zipped up and left.

Headlines in tomorrows Bristol Post -Man caught with trousers unzipped next to an Orr?

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

"With the benefit of hindsight, Norm, do you think it would've displayed international standard decision making if you'd booted that ball into the Royal Box, rather than fannying around trying to keep possession" ?

Yes that was probably it. Exactly the kind of incisive and searching dialogue I tended to engage with international footballers when I was 13! ?

On 16/10/2018 at 13:23, EnderMB said:

I saw Lee Johnson at a grocery store in Knowle yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

For anyone wondering...

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-saw-flying-lotus-in-a-grocery-store-copypasta

louis carey getting his kids some pick n mix in Tesco,chatted for ages,probably because the kids were quiet stuffing their cups full of sweets. Joe Bryan would stop and chat there too,even waited at customer services for me to fetch my shirt so he could sign it,which he did on the fag counter. scotty murray had a natter one evening when he was collecting his daughters from scotch horn and jet came out of the changing rooms at Portishead at my request to sign my shirt and have a chat. all four were very pleasant. saw flinty in Portishead Sainsbury once but his look  put me off saying hello.

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 09:16, Robinito said:

Working in X-Ray and MRI departments, I have bumped into a few ex City players. Due to the reasons for them being there, I try to leave them alone as they have more important stuff going on in their lives than dealing with my inane chatter, but have to say that Alan Dicks is a nice guy and Jon Economu was really friendly and more than happy to chat about old times. He made his debut in the first City match I attended.

I see Jon economous daughter in Portishead now and again and ask how hes doing. shes too young to fully appreciate his playing days but enjoys being told her dad was an ok player

On 15/10/2018 at 17:14, BCFCadam said:

Frankie does, I know that. Some of them also have flats near the M Shed.

Know Frankie & Marlon live in Portishead & their kids go to school together.

Brownhill just bought one of the flats in Wapping Wharf, see him around there a little bit.

On 12/10/2018 at 11:56, spudski said:

Had a lovely chat with Korey Smith the other weekend. He was in Browns with his family and friends. Wouldn't have interrupted him, but he had to ask me to get by on his Crutches when leaving. I just said...'Korey isn't it?'...and held out my hand to shake...forgetting he was holding crutches :laugh:...started talking about City and other stuff...lovely chap...actually taller in the flesh than he looks on the pitch for some odd reason. Was happy to take time and talk, even though his friends and family were waiting...

I think most footballers are happy to talk, as long as you don't start acting like an idiot and start asking questions that you know they can't answer.

Saw Korey about a week ago and he's off the crutches but still hobbling.

Archived