Jump to content

Seeing city players in public


Recommended Posts

Had a lovely chat with Korey Smith the other weekend. He was in Browns with his family and friends. Wouldn't have interrupted him, but he had to ask me to get by on his Crutches when leaving. I just said...'Korey isn't it?'...and held out my hand to shake...forgetting he was holding crutches :laugh:...started talking about City and other stuff...lovely chap...actually taller in the flesh than he looks on the pitch for some odd reason. Was happy to take time and talk, even though his friends and family were waiting...

I think most footballers are happy to talk, as long as you don't start acting like an idiot and start asking questions that you know they can't answer.

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dylan said:

Do you tell them how they're playing good or bad ?

Or just ignore them,  as they haven't a clue who you are ?

How would you like to be treated by a complete stranger in a public place?

Be pleasant and respectful, take account of the place and circumstances and you will probably find them very pleased to be noticed.

Slag them and be disrespectful and they will react accordingly.

PS. I met Lloyd Kelly at an under 23 game last season and had a brief chat about his first game for England in Italy. I kept it brief and he came across as a very pleasant young man.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very true, I wouldn't tell them they were playing crap even if they were. 

I told Matty Taylor that he's playing cracking and he loves getting stuck in, keep it up.I felt about 10 after though as I'm a complete stranger to him. I'm not a selfie or autograph type of bloke so it feels a bit awkward but I feel I should offer encouragement as I do every other week when they play.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw Matty Taylor walking around Portishead Marina a couple of weeks ago, I just smiled and nodded and he smiled back. He was with family and I was with my wife, so I thought I would leave it at that. Seemed best. Same when I have seen Pack in the High Street (who seems huge BTW). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a member of the Junior Reds in the 80s I remember meeting a few players (Walshy, Stevie Neville, Glyn Riley, Keith Waugh and Bobby Hutchinson) and they were all very friendly to a star-struck child. At least, Bobby H appeared so but I didn't really understand what he was saying because of his accent!

Since "growing up" I've not really had many interactions with players/managers. I walked past Cotts a couple of times in town and once saw Albert Adomah in Next but I felt a bit awkward approaching them seeing as they were just going about their daily lives. I also bumped into Jim Brennan (in the Black Castle in Brislington of all places) but my memory of my drunken attempt at conversation is very hazy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Greg Cunningham helped me off the floor after the Walsall home game somewhere in the triangle. He wasn’t too insistent on having a photo with me though....

 

think i saw Bryan, JET and Reid that night as well but i wasn’t in any fit state to say hello or even congratulate them on winning the league :drunk2:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/10/2018 at 08:13, Port Said Red said:

I saw Matty Taylor walking around Portishead Marina a couple of weeks ago, I just smiled and nodded and he smiled back. He was with family and I was with my wife, so I thought I would leave it at that. Seemed best. Same when I have seen Pack in the High Street (who seems huge BTW). 

He lives two houses away from my daughter...Always says hello

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2018 at 21:26, spudski said:

Had a lovely chat with Korey Smith the other weekend. He was in Browns with his family and friends. Wouldn't have interrupted him, but he had to ask me to get by on his Crutches when leaving. I just said...'Korey isn't it?'...and held out my hand to shake...forgetting he was holding crutches :laugh:...started talking about City and other stuff...lovely chap...actually taller in the flesh than he looks on the pitch for some odd reason. Was happy to take time and talk, even though his friends and family were waiting...

I think most footballers are happy to talk, as long as you don't start acting like an idiot and start asking questions that you know they can't answer.

Not football I know but bumped into John Lennon in London in the mid 60's. I was on a apprenticeship trip to the building exhibition & 3 other lads & myself escaped through the back door to explore London (as boys do). As we got out a white Rolls with dark windows was slowly driving past, it passed us again a bit later & pulled up to let some one out at a building, that person was John Lennon. He stopped & looked back at us (all totally gobsmacked), smiling & in his scouse voice said " Enjoying the exhibition boys?), then went into the building.

Thats as close to fame as I've ever been & likely to be but will never forget the man & was devasted when that a********e Chapman killed him.

Not a footballer but a top player !

RIP JL

Edited by bpexile
Omitted something.
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw Marvin Elliott at Boxpark Croydon this summer for the Sweden quarter final. He stayed afterwards as we were dancing on the tables, I finally got the courage to go over and say hello.

Very nice chap, surprised to see a City fan in south London, but kindly accepted my offer of a selfie. 

What a day that was!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Mags and his girlfriend (I'm guessing) were sitting on the table next to me and my wife at the Clifton Lido, Jan 2017. He had a cold. They spent virtually the entire hour and a half we were there on their phones. Barely exchanged a word to each other. Kids, eh?!

Too busy writing sweet nothings to City fans on Twitter I suppose....

………...

I saw a lot of the City squad in a club in Vegas. Approached them along with a girl I was with (my wife's friend luckily as opposed to my wife) and she asked if we could have a picture with them. We were told in no uncertain terms by their minder that she should go in and stay with them but I was to F O without a even a hello....

My support hasn't been the same since.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2018 at 11:08, David Brent said:

If I was a footballer I think I’d find it weird if people came up to me and shook my hand.

I think a simple nod and a hello is fine.

If only... if only.... 

If my auntie had bollocks she'd be my uncle.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Too busy writing sweet nothings to City fans on Twitter I suppose....

………...

I saw a lot of the City squad in a club in Vegas. Approached them along with a girl I was with (my wife's friend luckily as opposed to my wife) and she asked if we could have a picture with them. We were told in no uncertain terms by their minder that she should go in and stay with them but I was to F O without a even a hello....

My support hasn't been the same since.

 

They had a minder!?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Marlon the other week in Clifton and thought, how the funk is he walking about, he's supposed to have a broken leg and it's not even in a cast (I was that close to stopping him and asking him about it)....then realised that I'd mistaken him for my football manager game!

Dear God, I need to go and rethink my life!

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Haha 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect the moral of these tales is dependent on the presence of alcohol or not. Also, if the player is one that enjoys the spotlight then it will be different to another who just wants a quiet time off the field.

My only autograph was Alan Dicks, in a non-footballing environment many years ago - he was charming and polite to a nipper.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...