IGNORED

I see Scotland lost - again....

Robbored

When asked how do Scotland improve on these performances, one Scottish studio expert declared "By conceding fewer goals and stopping individual mistakes. But these things take time".

Does that sound familiar? Have Scotland become the Bristol Rovers of international football? Blue & white colours, current team failing and "live" next door to a more successful team they despise?

2 hours ago, 22A said:

When asked how do Scotland improve on these performances, one Scottish studio expert declared "By conceding fewer goals and stopping individual mistakes. But these things take time".

Does that sound familiar? Have Scotland become the Bristol Rovers of international football? Blue & white colours, current team failing and "live" next door to a more successful team they despise?

Who play in red, and white

On 12/10/2018 at 15:02, Dylan said:

That was in the days when they had true Scotsman playing as well. Nowadays they just take Englishman who can't play for they're first choice team and qualify by way of they're great great Nan.

To think in the sixties some Scottish player would be abused just because they earnt their living down south!

7 hours ago, 22A said:

Wow; Scotland managed to score in stoppage time, so "only" lost three - one to the Portuguese reserve team!

That reserve team had top talent everywhere on the pitch. Most are playing in some sort of European competition for their club side. Scotland just don’t have much to pick from at the moment. 

11 hours ago, Super said:

Dont get the slating of the jocks they dont exactly have top class talent to choose from. Only one player would get into Englands team says it all really.

What I find irritating about Scottish football is the way many of them consider it worth watching......it’s not, it’s shite with only two teams that could win the SPL.

They crow when England lose - forgetting their own countries miserable record in international tournaments and why I take the piss out of them when they lose...............:rofl2br:Its a regular event.....

Im in the Algarve right now and watched Portugal reserves cruise past sorry Scotland last night - it was so one sided that I’d left before the Scots scored a consolation goal..............:sleeping:

14 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Population means naff all sorry. England should beat China, America etc. Because they are crap at football even if there population blows ours out the water 

Portugal are a proper footballing Country the two you quoted aren’t, Portugal are also the European champions, as i’ve said, people should be more concerned of the constantly woeful England team than our tiny neighbours 

2 minutes ago, harrys said:

Portugal are a proper footballing Country the two you quoted aren’t, Portugal are also the European champions, as i’ve said, people should be more concerned of the constantly woeful England team 

Remind us how England did in the World Cup. Last four wasn’t it?

Not bad for “constantly woeful” team...

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Remind us how England did in the World Cup. Last four wasn’t it?

Not bad for “constantly woeful” team...

Oh I was waiting for that, remind me who we beat? in the three games where we actually played against decent opposition we fell well short particular in the semi final against a Country of just 4 million people, we couldn’t have hand picked an easier route to the final, we are getting away from the point slightly, I just don’t get why anyone should mock another Country’s failings when England have constantly under achieved, for the majority of the time it is so so painful watching our national team and has been for decades. 

32 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What I find irritating about Scottish football is the way many of them consider it worth watching......it’s not, it’s shite with only two teams that could win the SPL.

They crow when England lose - forgetting their own countries miserable record in international tournaments and why I take the piss out of them when they lose...............:rofl2br:Its a regular event.....

Im in the Algarve right now and watched Portugal reserves cruise past sorry Scotland last night - it was so one sided that I’d left before the Scots scored a consolation goal..............:sleeping:

I'm beginning to wonder if Gary Johnson was actually Scottish (the one that made you cry).

May explain your tedious vendetta.

On 12/10/2018 at 19:58, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’ve never said they don’t try in friendlies - but countries are more likely to play untried and unproven players in those games to have a look at them....they are pretty meaningless games in the grand scheme of things. I only pointed out that Scotland had not lost in their last seven qualifying /euro nations league games before last night....and as you mentioned appearing at a meaningful competition, the little nation of Scotland blew England out of the water in qualifying for five consecutive World Cups from 1974....we couldn’t match that ....

Haven't we qualified for the last 6 ?

Apologies if I has misread your post.

In essence, reciprocating the love we get from many north of the border...**** Scotland.

20 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Haven't we qualified for the last 6 ?

Apologies if I has misread your post.

In essence, reciprocating the love we get from many north of the border...**** Scotland.

I think the point was that we couldn't match it at the time, as we failed to qualify for '74 and '78.

Scotland also won 11 of the first 18 fixtures between England and Scotland. Five of those victories in England no less.

6 defeats out of the last 8 games? But who cares, because Scotland beat England 6-1 in 1881 and therefore superiority is eternal.

2 hours ago, harrys said:

Oh I was waiting for that, remind me who we beat? in the three games where we actually played against decent opposition we fell well short particular in the semi final against a Country of just 4 million people, we couldn’t have hand picked an easier route to the final, we are getting away from the point slightly, I just don’t get why anyone should mock another Country’s failings when England have constantly under achieved, for the majority of the time it is so so painful watching our national team and has been for decades. 

Tunisia, who were ranked in the top 20 at the time (and who drew in Portugal just before the tournament, and only lost 1-0 in Spain to a late goal).

Panama, who may not have shown up in Russia, but who knocked the USA out of qualifying.

Sweden, who came through a qualifying group that included France (who they beat) and Holland, then beat Italy in a play off, then won a group containing Germany, the defending champions. Are you saying Sweden aren't decent opposition?

Sneer if you like, but it always seems to be the way that any team England beat automatically can't therefore be 'a decent team'.

And the Croatia game was close. England were the better team in the first 45 minutes and if Kane or Lingard had taken their chances to make it 2-0, there's every chance we'd have played in the final. We didn't take those chances and ultimately Croatia were the better side as the game went on.

Belgium - fair enough, they were clearly the better team twice, albeit once in a dead rubber between two reserve teams, and once in a 3rd place game where England had very little recovery time after getting back at 6am after the semi final loss.

4 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Population means naff all sorry. England should beat China, America etc. Because they are crap at football even if there population blows ours out the water 

Slow down there. England would find it difficult to beat USA right now and they are playing a lot of teenagers. If england doesn’t start bringing in their next batch of young stars soon they will fall behind countries like USA

Population can almost hinder a country I think. Surely easier for smaller countries to identify their talent sooner and easier to get them into one place no?

Think Scotland’s big problem is their big clubs buy more young players than they develop.  Look at Netherland, Portugal or Belgium. Their teams are filled with young players from their country. They find them, develop them, play them and then sell them to bigger leagues. Scotland have few high profile teenagers(Tierney and Gauld only two I can remember recently) and their best players usually find their form in England(usually championship). 

England has a different problem with there being so many academies and a larger population it is harder for scouts to see talent regularly. There are a lot of young english players who’d be playing in top flights across Europe had they been born there. Like if Lloyd Kelly had been born in Augsburg he’d probably be a first team player for them by now. Coming up against top sides like Bayern and Dortmund. 

1 hour ago, North London Red said:

Tunisia, who were ranked in the top 20 at the time (and who drew in Portugal just before the tournament, and only lost 1-0 in Spain to a late goal).

Panama, who may not have shown up in Russia, but who knocked the USA out of qualifying.

Sweden, who came through a qualifying group that included France (who they beat) and Holland, then beat Italy in a play off, then won a group containing Germany, the defending champions. Are you saying Sweden aren't decent opposition?

Sneer if you like, but it always seems to be the way that any team England beat automatically can't therefore be 'a decent team'.

And the Croatia game was close. England were the better team in the first 45 minutes and if Kane or Lingard had taken their chances to make it 2-0, there's every chance we'd have played in the final. We didn't take those chances and ultimately Croatia were the better side as the game went on.

Belgium - fair enough, they were clearly the better team twice, albeit once in a dead rubber between two reserve teams, and once in a 3rd place game where England had very little recovery time after getting back at 6am after the semi final loss.

If Tunisia were ranked 20th then it shows what a mockery world rankings are, Sweden were worse than hopeless on the night and you win nothing for being1-0 up half time ( just like you don’t win the league in November) on the night Croatia thoroughly deserved their victory, it’s more a sense of frustration as far as i’m concerned as we will never get that sort of opportunity again as far as a favourable draw is concerned

13 hours ago, harrys said:

Portugal are a proper footballing Country the two you quoted aren’t, Portugal are also the European champions, as i’ve said, people should be more concerned of the constantly woeful England team than our tiny neighbours 

My point was population doesn’t have any correlation to a national teams footballing ability.

8 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Slow down there. England would find it difficult to beat USA right now and they are playing a lot of teenagers. If england doesn’t start bringing in their next batch of young stars soon they will fall behind countries like USA

Population can almost hinder a country I think. Surely easier for smaller countries to identify their talent sooner and easier to get them into one place no?

Think Scotland’s big problem is their big clubs buy more young players than they develop.  Look at Netherland, Portugal or Belgium. Their teams are filled with young players from their country. They find them, develop them, play them and then sell them to bigger leagues. Scotland have few high profile teenagers(Tierney and Gauld only two I can remember recently) and their best players usually find their form in England(usually championship). 

England has a different problem with there being so many academies and a larger population it is harder for scouts to see talent regularly. There are a lot of young english players who’d be playing in top flights across Europe had they been born there. Like if Lloyd Kelly had been born in Augsburg he’d probably be a first team player for them by now. Coming up against top sides like Bayern and Dortmund. 

Again, BS4 said losing to a team with a nation double the population of your own is no disgrace. I was just pointing out that population has no correlation to footballing ability. Hence why China, USA, India etc aren’t considered good national teams yet have the largest populations on the planet. 

Also the England team that went to the World Cup and played since have been incredibly young compared to recent teams. Instead of having 1 or 2 young players we’re fielding 5 or 6 players under the age of 23. 

31 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

My point was population doesn’t have any correlation to a national teams footballing ability.

Again, BS4 said losing to a team with a nation double the population of your own is no disgrace. I was just pointing out that population has no correlation to footballing ability. Hence why China, USA, India etc aren’t considered good national teams yet have the largest populations on the planet. 

Also the England team that went to the World Cup and played since have been incredibly young compared to recent teams. Instead of having 1 or 2 young players we’re fielding 5 or 6 players under the age of 23. 

Only commented because you used the word crap. We could be better but just don’t think we are crap. I do get your point though.

Do think Scotland need to do more to showcase and develop their young talent though. They have much more than say an Iceland in terms of population but not near the talent(Iceland have quite a few playing at high levels across Europe). 

Since I moved to England just before WC 2014, England have gotten better each year. Southgate now trying to bring more players through and doing a good job. Tonight was a prime example. Still work to do but England bringing their younger players along sooner is only good because by the time Kane, Sterling, Alli, Stones and Dier hit their prime they should have enough in the youth hitting a good level. Players like Sancho, Foden, Abraham, Solanke and probably a few lesser known like Konsa and perhaps Kelly. Future is bright for England imo and because they are being a bit braver

19 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think you've answered your own question at the end of your sentence...

I think it's a pretty ridiculous notion that a larger population would hinder your chances.

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

I think you've answered your own question at the end of your sentence...

I think it's a pretty ridiculous notion that a larger population would hinder your chances.

I agree with you Coxy.... and as for @You Do The Dziekanowski quoting countries like China and India and saying large populations count for nothing....I was comparing Portugal to Scotland...two traditional, established footballing nations with long, long histories in the game...I think it’s very relevant to highlight that Scotland losing to an established ‘footballing’ nation which has double their population is no disgrace...

On 14/10/2018 at 21:09, harrys said:

I think people should be more concerned about the habitually poor England team who have ten times the population of Scotland

That team that just reached a world cup semi final? Oh and an impressive defeat of Spain in their own country

12 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

5/6? I think its more than that. 1 player above 25 last night and I think that was Maguire?

21 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don't think we would struggle to beat USA, in my opinion 

Archived