IGNORED

Are Wetherspoons pubs that bad?

spudski

On 10/10/2018 at 09:39, RedM said:

You both forgot the betting shop, there’s always a bookie too. Or is that done on an app these days. Yes, all towns and cities have those triangles, often frequented by Zombies. And as for the ones on the Spice, or whatever it is, shocking how dangerous that is. 

Oh, can I add McDonalds into the triangle too, they can attract some people at times too.

You forgot the tat parlour!

On 11/10/2018 at 08:58, Eddie Hitler said:

There are good Spoons and bad Spoons.

I think the worst I ever encountered was in Wimbledon with Taunton and Penzance following.  I have however been to many excellent ones; far more than the bad ones.  The Swan in Weymouth and Green Parrot in Perrnaporth are particular favourites.  The most sensible one was in Bridport where there was a covered walk through to a courtyard.  On the right hand side of this were sitting the usual suspects drinking beer before lunch whilst propping up the bar and on the left hand side everybody was sitting around tables drinking tea and coffee whilst eating or just chatting.

The Regal in Gloucester was pretty ok, about 20 years ago. Since then it appears to have never been decorated and is a beer and piss stained ruin, replete with snaggle toothed pissheads in Alkies Corner.

The new one in the docks is not too bad.

(Pretty much mirrors the decline of Gloucester!)

7 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

The Regal in Gloucester was pretty ok, about 20 years ago. Since then it appears to have never been decorated and is a beer and piss stained ruin, replete with snaggle toothed pissheads in Alkies Corner.

I haven't been in it for probably ten years, I liked the quiet reading area at the top and the terrace out the back.  The main area was just too big; like a warehouse.  I don't think a cinema really suited the conversion.  The New Inn was always my favourite; amazing place so I was sad to hear about the fire earlier this year.

8 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I haven't been in it for probably ten years, I liked the quiet reading area at the top and the terrace out the back.  The main area was just too big; like a warehouse.  I don't think a cinema really suited the conversion.  The New Inn was always my favourite; amazing place so I was sad to hear about the fire earlier this year.

I'm not sure about the damage to New Inn....think it wasn't entirely gutted. Cracking inn, but ropey last time that I was in.

Used to frequent it a lot in the 80s.

On 11 October 2018 at 09:04, spudski said:

The one thing they do well, is find really nice buildings to set up in.

They tried opening one in Chipping Sodbury in the old Lloyds Bank building.

It was refused permission as too many people objected :laugh:

The one closest me is pretty much full everyday. Same faces... don't know how people afford it when they aren't working.

Think some of the regulars particularly those on their own or retired go in there for the company rather than necessarily the booze., also option of a hot meal that they may otherwise not have. In my view the sizzling pubs offer better value for food, although the beer may be 50p /£1  a pint dearer

I tend to avoid spoons at weekends and busy times.  You can't get served and they are filthy dirty.

If you go at quieter times, they have time to clear and wipe the tables and you dont have to queue at the bar.

Cant think of anywhere else where you can get so much for so little though. Excellent business model. Never had any complaints about their food.

1 hour ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Sodbury does have one thing that Yate doesn’t have mind. The homeless guy by that worlds most daft zebra crossing! 

True indeed...who actually agreed to the positioning of that crossing...madness.

As for the 'homeless' guy...an absolute belter. Has been offered accommodation and turned it down. Also allegedly conned his elderly mother out of tens of thousands to fund his 'lifestyle;. A heroine addict. And tells the biggest stories to those who wish to listen.

The other is the guy wearing  original Burberry selling the big Issue for a fiver outside of Coffee No. 1.....absolute classic.

Spoons do exactly what they say on the tin.

Cheap beer , cheap food. Annoying staff, is there anything more annoying than someone wanting your money before they've even poured your pint?!

One thing I will say when the one in nailsea opened 3/4 years ago and people who would have never stepped foot in any pub in nailsea before that came out of the woodwork.

Fallen out of love personally with spoons recently but not sure why people complain about it or mock it. They have a place but there not for everybody.

Some spoons are fantastic, really smart, well looked after and of course, offer cheap food & drink. In Bristol the W.G. Grace on Whiteladies & Knight's Templar are 2 of the better ones. Also encountered some lovely spoons following City around the UK. The Prince of Wales in Cardiff is a fantastic spoons venue, essentially a large 3 floored old theatre, really impressive and well kept. 

Then, on the flip side, there are some utter plug holes which seem to act as a Jeremy Kyle holding pen, Robert Fitzharding in Bemmy being the first that come to mind. I try to avoid these ones. White trash all over.

Alike the original poster I'll no doubt be attacked for being 'elitist' or 'condescending' but I really don't care and stick to my comments. The 'I'm offended' generation we live in....

There are some very presentable Spoons around the UK for sure. They’re cheap and cheerful but some do attract the local dossers as the op is referring to.

I could count on one hand how many times I’ve been to the spoons, the Glasshouse in Nailsea but I use a cafe regularly that’s virtually next door so I get a fair idea of the type that use it.

1 hour ago, Vespa Red said:

Very quick question (slightly off topic).

Why are the bogs in all Spoons buildings half a mile away from the bar?

Oohh me me I know that one.

It's because after you do your half a mile trek to the bogs, you're going to want another drink after your visit. Then once you've visited the little boys (or girls) room once, you can never hold the same amount of liquid as you did before visit number one. Then the drink-toilet cycle begins. Very clever planning.

On 13/10/2018 at 14:48, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

The Water Poet was alright as well when it used to be a Spoons. The one in Tewkesbury is good too. 

Otherwise - I'm not sure exactly why people complain about Spoons. You know what you're gonna get. Cheap food, cheap beer. I just adjust my menu choices accordingly.

The other thing that has not been mentioned that makes them attractive to people is consistency. You get pretty much the same food and drink in any of them. Same pricing structure. Also there is consistency of access which is helpful for the disabled (all of same applies to Costa for example, or McDonalds).

On 14/10/2018 at 00:35, wendyredredrobin said:

I tend to avoid spoons at weekends and busy times.  You can't get served and they are filthy dirty.

If you go at quieter times, they have time to clear and wipe the tables and you dont have to queue at the bar.

Cant think of anywhere else where you can get so much for so little though. Excellent business model. Never had any complaints about their food.

The Wetherspoons app is actually one of the best bits of app based software a company has produced. I haven’t felt the need to queue for a drink in well over 12 months.  The Apple/Android pay integration don’t half make it dangerous tho!

There are some beautiful spoons pubs around ...visited one in Edinburgh that used to be a cinema....amazing place ....the trouble is they vary so much in terms of quality and temperature of food etc ...some are much better than others you just have to weed out the bad ones ...overall they’re ok for  a cheap drink and a bit of grub ...the end 

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 23:37, ralphindevon said:

This one in Exeter is good, beautiful orangery and as it's near a lot of student accommodation you don't get the old pi**heads hanging around so much.

We've got a fairly new one in Teignmouth which is pretty good too. 

20140507_112314_resized(1).jpg

Ah the Impy. An absolute stalwart of my student years in Exeter.

Dont mind Spoons and you can find some decent ciders in most of them while all pubs around still only stocking Magners/Stronggbow .Do love a Spoons breakfast too .Always like to have a look around when Im eating me brekkie and having a cuppa to see how many are on the booze already .Always a few .

• Admin

Interestingly, I was in a Spoons in Swindon, the usual collection of winos’s, druggies and other shambolic entities that seem to inhabit Swindon town centre were also in there, I was with a few other blokes, we’d had a couple, but were spending at a much greater rate than those who manage to last a drink out for several hours.  We got asked to leave, my fault, I had used the C word, apparently, so the barmaid told me, three times - and it was a family pub!!   I would only imagine that the family element was that most of the customers except the group I was with, were closely related to the point of incest.

11 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Just ate a Drive thru burger in Wetherspoons at Gatwick and it was simply disgusting. I feckin hate them !!

Oddly enough..........I actually went into Spoons in Nailsea at lunchtime today with my sister and daughter as both were in a bit of a rush - they’d planned a shopping outing I think.......

One mixed grill and two gourmet chicken burgers and three soft drinks £25..........the grill was huge.....I couldn’t eat it all.it was passable enough for around £8. 

Dont think I’ll becgoing in there again for while tho.............:disapointed2se:

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Oddly enough..........I actually went into Spoons in Nailsea at lunchtime today with my sister and daughter as both were in a bit of a rush - they’d planned a shopping outing I think.......

One mixed grill and two gourmet chicken burgers and three soft drinks £25..........the grill was huge.....I couldn’t eat it all.it was passable enough for around £8. 

Dont think I’ll becgoing in there again for while tho.............:disapointed2se:

Still in Spoons Gatwick and the service is described as shite at best 

Archived