IGNORED

How old??

Dolman_Stand

Started taking Joe at 8, which was the age my dad started taking me.

No age is the right or wrong age.  Just prepare them that it’s 2 hours plus, and that asking for the toilet during the game us a no-no....nor is predicting that when Frank boots the ball from his hands at The Ricoh, the ref will blow for half-time, and therefore it’s safe to go to the toilet, only to miss Agard’s goal.

Crisps and Bars help too!!!

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Started taking Joe at 8, which was the age my dad started taking me.

No age is the right or wrong age.  Just prepare them that it’s 2 hours plus, and that asking for the toilet during the game us a no-no....nor is predicting that when Frank boots the ball from his hands at The Ricoh, the ref will blow for half-time, and therefore it’s safe to go to the toilet, only to miss Agard’s goal.

Crisps and Bars help too!!!

They certainly do! Spent numerous 2nd halfs in Bar’s due to a shocking 1st half performance.

25 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

At what age would you recommend taking your son or daughter to football for the first time?

Mods??

FFS - how many times ....................

Can we edit out these vile binary references to gender specifics on OTIB.

Folk have a right to have neither sons OR daughters.

IT IS 2018 - LETS WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE (or tea / herbal infusion).

I’d say 7 - 8 is a good age, as children’s attention span is quite short before that. Other factors are important. Never, under any circumstances, take a child to their first match when it’s freezing cold. Adults can cope but a child, who won’t really undertand what it’s all about, won’t. In an ideal world go on a nice warm day. Take plenty of food and drink supplies 

50 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Went to my first game at 3 and started going regularly at 6, however that was before Ipads and other distractions. 

I'd start taking them when they are going to be able to concentrate for the whole game and enjoy it. 

Up to you though

when would that be?

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Went to my first game at 3 and started going regularly at 6, however that was before Ipads and other distractions. 

I'd start taking them when they are going to be able to concentrate for the whole game and enjoy it. 

Up to you though

That’s not a pre-requisite! ?

Joe took 3 or 4 games before he saw a shot on target from City....in those dark days under SOD in 13/14.

I remember being about 9 when I went to my first game.  I would have been happy to go a year earlier though. we

It does depend on the child though, for some it may be earlier.  Whenever it feels right or they start to show an interest take them to a game.  If they can't concentrate or get fed up, leave it a while and try again.

If they enjoy watching City on TV, then I think it would be fine to take them to a game.

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I'd start taking them when they are going to be able to concentrate for the whole game and enjoy it

Up to you though

Watching City....? Not sure most fans are able to do that

I went to my first game at 11 - Filbert Street to see my Grandad’s team. I remember absolutely nowt about the game - except they had a player called Ken Leek. I’d spent my life in a Suffolk village so what I do remember is row after row of red brick terraced houses for miles around the ground- so I guess 11 was too young for me. Next year my dad took me to Portman Road and I’ve been hooked ever since - although now at the Gate. 

Your kids will know when the time is right - they’ll ask to come along. Mine still do in their 20s - as long as I pay the £30 odd quid!!!

8 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

At what age would you recommend taking your son or daughter to football for the first time?

Took my boy all last season and countless "excuse me pleases" after he needed a pee every ten minutes does really get to you after a while , take a back pack ,fruit drink and a toy.  This season now he's 5 completely different watches for long periods, not much if any moaning and peeing before and at half-time,  so I would say 5 however we got to watch the mighty reds beat man Utd and for that I'm so glad I took him .

Very much depends on the child, their ability to concentrate for a full 90 minutes, and their interest in football in general.

My son is 7 and has started coming with me for the first time this season. He’s really enjoying it and I love having him with me.

I would have been keen to take him sooner, but he just wasn’t that interested in football previously and I couldn’t be certain he would have lasted the whole game. The World Cup this summer was what really got him into football and he was finally keen to come.

I do see people there with really young kids, around 2-3, who aren’t really paying attention to the game and generally getting restless, and I do wonder why people bother. Personally I think it’s much better to wait until they are ready to properly engage with the match - but each to their own.

One thing I do struggle with is the fact that he’s the only kid in his school wearing a local team shirt and supporting a local club. Last time I checked, Barcelona is not twinned with Chippenham and Manchester is not in Wiltshire. It’s a real shame.

I've been taking mine one who was 6 and the other was 4. 

My 4 year old boy didn't have much concentration and still doesn't to be fair, although he likes the singing.

My daughter who is nine now has loved it from the get go and wanted to go to every game home or away.

I took her to Millwall last year and that was an eye opener not sure I would do that again.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Very much depends on the child, their ability to concentrate for a full 90 minutes, and their interest in football in general.

My son is 7 and has started coming with me for the first time this season. He’s really enjoying it and I love having him with me.

I would have been keen to take him sooner, but he just wasn’t that interested in football previously and I couldn’t be certain he would have lasted the whole game. The World Cup this summer was what really got him into football and he was finally keen to come.

I do see people there with really young kids, around 2-3, who aren’t really paying attention to the game and generally getting restless, and I do wonder why people bother. Personally I think it’s much better to wait until they are ready to properly engage with the match - but each to their own.

One thing I do struggle with is the fact that he’s the only kid in his school wearing a local team shirt and supporting a local club. Last time I checked, Barcelona is not twinned with Chippenham and Manchester is not in Wiltshire. It’s a real shame.

You have my sympathies re kits, but unfortunately when city have been generally mediocre for 100 years, messi/ ronaldo/ pogba are much more likely to capture a kids imagination than some of our lot.

Six years and nine months when I first went with Dad. Third Division (South). Seven in the next season when I went on my own. 

Took my son to Reserve game on Saturday afternoon when he was six. Any younger and their attention span is too short. Under 23 games at Ashton Gate would be the best now for a first one but I do appreciate they are normally played in evenings during school term.

10 hours ago, ... said:

Mods??

FFS - how many times ....................

Can we edit out these vile binary references to gender specifics on OTIB.

Folk have a right to have neither sons OR daughters.

IT IS 2018 - LETS WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE (or tea / herbal infusion).

Calm down son!!!

52 minutes ago, simon uk said:

You have my sympathies re kits, but unfortunately when city have been generally mediocre for 100 years, messi/ ronaldo/ pogba are much more likely to capture a kids imagination than some of our lot.

You’re right of course, I just wish it was less about achievement and more about supporting your local club or whoever your family traditionally supported. Naive and unrealistic these days maybe, but a shame nonetheless.

I’d genuinely rather see local kids wearing Swindon or Rovers than Barcelona or Real.

Older daughter displays no interest, but younger one came along last season (aged 9) to watch us lose 2-3 to Sheffield Utd.

It must've had some sort of impact, because she's coming along in a few weeks to see us against Preston.

If we lose that one 2-3, I'll stop taking her... :whistle:

Went to 1st match aged nearly 8 and we lost to Sheffield Wednesday 2-1. The last City match I went to also finished 2-1 to Sheffield Wednesday. Hope this perfect symmetry doesn't mean I'm on my way out!

I recall being in the enclosure and the most overriding memory is of the powerful smell of tobacco when I entered onto the terrace, the grimy stands and the contrast of the vibrant green grass of the pitch. I didn't follow much of the action as the surroundings themselves grasped most of my attention. Funnily enough, I'm pretty sure City were 2-0 down and got their only goal in about the 80th minute...so even more symmetry.

Went again the following month on my 8th birthday v Carlisle United. I wore the City kit with a number 5 on the back for Dickie Rooks. I was in the East End this time and followed the whole match which we won 2-1. 

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Six years and nine months when I first went with Dad. Third Division (South). Seven in the next season when I went on my own. 

Took my son to Reserve game on Saturday afternoon when he was six. Any younger and their attention span is too short. Under 23 games at Ashton Gate would be the best now for a first one but I do appreciate they are normally played in evenings during school term.

I've just realised that one year after my first game at City, which was on Good Friday 1950, Dad took me to Ninian Park on Easter Saturday 1951 for Cardiff v Swansea with over 50,000 in the ground. Four months before my eighth birthday. We certainly were not mollycoddled then. But then, parental bunjee ropes had not been invented.

Archived