IGNORED

How old??

Dolman_Stand

First match v Bolton 77/78 season aged 9 (& 3/4 quarters) in the schoolboys enclosure. The game is on youtube and I've watched it back trying to spot myself, although at that resolution you're doing well to spot the ball most of the time! Oh, no parent/guardian in sight, unless you count my brother's mate's older brother & cousins who were about 12 and probably buggered off as soon as we were inside.

About 6. My Father took me from the age of 6 and I used to stand on the terraces where the Atyeo now is. In fairness it was pretty pointless as I couldn’t see a thing. With kids being in seats these days 6 would be perfectly reasonable IMHO.

22 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Went to my first game at 3 and started going regularly at 6, however that was before Ipads and other distractions. 

I'd start taking them when they are going to be able to concentrate for the whole game and enjoy it. 

Up to you though

Been watching City since I was 7 in 1989, and I still struggle with this....

22 hours ago, ... said:

Mods??

FFS - how many times ....................

Can we edit out these vile binary references to gender specifics on OTIB.

Folk have a right to have neither sons OR daughters.

IT IS 2018 - LETS WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE (or tea / herbal infusion).

What happens if these kids don't associate themselves with linear age, they might be 2 or 35. 

Took my Daughter when she was 3 and my son when he was 2 1/2 (and is now 3) -  more so as he didn't want to miss out from big sister. Both now have season tickets with me.

Perhaps a little too early, but we travel from Berkshire and so it gives my wife some time away from them as a full-time house mum and me plenty of Dad time for me with them.

The best thing that has happened was last year v Man City. No-way should or would I ever suggest taking a 3 year old to an evening game and so I didn't get him a ticket.

Dashed home from work to pick up my daughter who is now nearly 7, as it was always going to be a special night. I get home and it is chaos - mum has told the boy he's not going to football. He's in tears, and has gone and put his shirt on anyway. 

I start to load the car, and my daughter gets into her car seat. I put something in the boot of the car and unbeknownst to me, my 3 year old son is that desperate to come, he has also sat himself in his car seat.

I look at my wife and say - I have no ticket for him, but there is no way I can't not take him, and that's it. He spent the whole time sat on my lap during the game and he still talks about that game now.

That said - he was HORRIFIC for the next 3 days due to getting home and into bed at 1am, so this season - no mid-week night games.

9 hours ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Took my Daughter when she was 3 and my son when he was 2 1/2 (and is now 3) -  more so as he didn't want to miss out from big sister. Both now have season tickets with me.

Perhaps a little too early, but we travel from Berkshire and so it gives my wife some time away from them as a full-time house mum and me plenty of Dad time for me with them.

The best thing that has happened was last year v Man City. No-way should or would I ever suggest taking a 3 year old to an evening game and so I didn't get him a ticket.

Dashed home from work to pick up my daughter who is now nearly 7, as it was always going to be a special night. I get home and it is chaos - mum has told the boy he's not going to football. He's in tears, and has gone and put his shirt on anyway. 

I start to load the car, and my daughter gets into her car seat. I put something in the boot of the car and unbeknownst to me, my 3 year old son is that desperate to come, he has also sat himself in his car seat.

I look at my wife and say - I have no ticket for him, but there is no way I can't not take him, and that's it. He spent the whole time sat on my lap during the game and he still talks about that game now.

That said - he was HORRIFIC for the next 3 days due to getting home and into bed at 1am, so this season - no mid-week night games.

That’s a great story! So did you just carry him in and hope no-one noticed?!

I think this means we need to add one to the official attendance figure.

I took my eldest when he was 4 and he has been going ever since. My youngest boy I took at 3 but he still struggles to concentrate for more than 20 mins even now at 5. Haven't taken my daughter yet as she is a girl, only joking too young. Sounds like 7 when I started going is the 'average ready to go to football age'.

Took my two to AG first time when they were 6 and 3 - was absolutely fine as long as you were prepared to spend a small fortune at the old snack bars before the game kicked off!

Eldest drifted away from football (he supports Man Utd ) -   has only ever seen them 'live' once - you can guess when that was and whose ticket he used to attend!

Youngest is now 18 and sits right beside me in the Dolman.

My old man took me for the first time when I was 6 years old (Boxing Day 1994 - drew nil nil at home to Watford apparently) but that was due to the fact no-one could look after me!  I then started going regularly in the 1996/1997 season when I was 7 / 8. Never looked back since. My brother (3 years younger than me) was also dragged along during this season and regularly fell asleep along the wooden seats of the Dullmoan..... 

On 14/10/2018 at 00:11, wendyredredrobin said:

I remember being about 9 when I went to my first game.  I would have been happy to go a year earlier though. we

It does depend on the child though, for some it may be earlier.  Whenever it feels right or they start to show an interest take them to a game.  If they can't concentrate or get fed up, leave it a while and try again.

If they enjoy watching City on TV, then I think it would be fine to take them to a game.

Funny that, Joe never watches on tv, just likes live football.

@Sandhurst Red my daughter, now joins me and Joe at The Flyers Basketball.  She’s shown no interest in football. She really enjoys the basketball, and it gets the 3 of us out the house and gives Mrs F a bit of free-time.  Mrs F hates football, but did come to the Swindon 3-0 when Joe was mascot.

2 hours ago, GeoTheCiderHead said:

My old man took me for the first time when I was 6 years old (Boxing Day 1994 - drew nil nil at home to Watford apparently) but that was due to the fact no-one could look after me!  I then started going regularly in the 1996/1997 season when I was 7 / 8. Never looked back since. My brother (3 years younger than me) was also dragged along during this season and regularly fell asleep along the wooden seats of the Dullmoan..... 

Your Dad is lucky that nobody reported him to Social Services for child abuse!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Funny that, Joe never watches on tv, just likes live football.

@Sandhurst Red my daughter, now joins me and Joe at The Flyers Basketball.  She’s shown no interest in football. She really enjoys the basketball, and it gets the 3 of us out the house and gives Mrs F a bit of free-time.  Mrs F hates football, but did come to the Swindon 3-0 when Joe was mascot.

Is she related to my wife?

13 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

That’s a great story! So did you just carry him in and hope no-one noticed?!

I think this means we need to add one to the official attendance figure.

Exactly that - just walked on through and hoped for the best. I believe that you are allowed 'babes in arms' until they are 2 and so would have otherwise blagged it.

And yes - great point - technically there was 26,004 and not 26,003 that night!

On 13/10/2018 at 15:41, Dolman_Stand said:

At what age would you recommend taking your son or daughter to football for the first time?

I took my niece when she was 4. Denied her any chance to meet the City mascot, forced her to sit through a 1-4 drubbing, and ended up carrying her out at FT with her in tears. Her mum and my wife looked on, shaking their collective heads at yet another piss-poor display of uncular duties. Almost 20 years later, she still goes, and hopefully should see her at Brentford this weekend.

My son is coming up to 4 and due to circumstances if I want to go to the game I now have to take him, he's been to our last 3 home games in a row. 

What I'll say is whilst it is great to introduce him to football and the match day experience it's changed my match day experience. I'm not able to watch the early game in the sports bar and even standing around having a beer is difficult as he doesn't like to stand still. He doesn't quite understand why it's not ok to run off etc. 

With each game he is getting better at sitting in his seat, at around 85 minutes is when he starts playing up and wanting to leave.

He's not really into the football, he will celebrate a goal and sing along to the songs but he hasn't got the attention span to watch the game. I take along his iPad and plenty of supplies of sweets. I find I can't get as immersed in the game whilst he is there as his needs come 1st.

I come from a small town from the Balkans. My father took me to my first game when I was 4 or 5. After I started school, me and my friends went alone since the stadium was pretty close to our homes and it was kinda safe for kids to hang out there. My first "big" game was seeing our beloved local club play Perugia in 1999. I was 11 years old at the time. It was a huge event for locals, there were so many people and the fans went completely crazy! I still remember it like it was yesterday. I now have a nephew who's 2 and can't wait to take him to a game (probably in like 3 years from now). I am guessing that 5 is perfect since the memories will last forever!

Archived