IGNORED

Nuttiest Terrace!?

REDOXO

I know this has been done before but I have read a couple of things recently that made me look at the FA Cup at Eastville in 83, We had nothing and a cobbled together team of ex players and kids. 

Martin (God Bless You I am about your age) Hirst scored that goal at the Dog track and it went mad....Yes Man U was close Christian Roberts closer Coventry away and Liverpool at home three days earlier even closer.....But that was Funking mayhem...JUST NUTS...any other thoughts of what it was like on Muller Road that afternoon! 

10 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

My mate had about ten bodies on him on the terrace, very nearly broke his arm..................through the pain he was just laughing hysterically !

It was crazy wasn’t it Slarti...I cant remember their goal but I can give you a blow by blow of Tom’s ant then Martin Hirsts. I remember being bent double people on top of me and everyone pouring forward when that went in...It was like a feeling of everything now was gonna be alright, that if you’re not a supporter of a certain age you could not ever pretend to understand after  what we had to go through.....I would love to see Martin Hirst open something or be introduced at AG...bloody hero!

9 hours ago, REDOXO said:

It was crazy wasn’t it Slarti...I cant remember their goal but I can give you a blow by blow of Tom’s ant then Martin Hirsts. I remember being bent double people on top of me and everyone pouring forward when that went in...It was like a feeling of everything now was gonna be alright, that if you’re not a supporter of a certain age you could not ever pretend to understand after  what we had to go through.....I would love to see Martin Hirst open something or be introduced at AG...bloody hero!

Archie Stevens got their goal, we had a great day out in the next round at Notts County, think they were top flight then and we were unlucky to only draw, got beat 1-0 in the replay at AG, seem to remember their “star” player John Chidoze? getting the winner, those cup games seemed to be the turning point for us after the previous couple of very dark seasons

I was there for that game stood on the Muller rd terrace with my fellow reds and it was seriously rammed, luckily, I was right at the back. We travelled more in hope and defiance than expectation but it was wonderful. It really did feel like we were on the way back, finally.

Correct me if i'm wrong but IIRC, there were probably more City in the terrace to the left of the Muller rd end than r*vers? I distinctly remember the majority in there going absolutely mental when Sir Tom scored but may have got my games mixed up.

Getting out afterwards was a tad feisty as well if my memory serves me right, bit of a building site behind the Muller road end wasn't it? 

10 hours ago, REDOXO said:

That gurt lummox Archie Stephens scored for the tramps, at MR end.

11 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I know this has been done before but I have read a couple of things recently that made me look at the FA Cup at Eastville in 83, We had nothing and a cobbled together team of ex players and kids. 

Martin (God Bless You I am about your age) Hirst scored that goal at the Dog track and it went mad....Yes Man U was close Christian Roberts closer Coventry away and Liverpool at home three days earlier even closer.....But that was Funking mayhem...JUST NUTS...any other thoughts of what it was like on Muller Road that afternoon! 

We were packed in so tightly my feet were off the ground most of the time.....the passion that came out of that away terrace that day was just awesome to experience....dear old Terry Cooper had given us hope and his absolute commitment to our club around that time must never be forgotten. We had our club back and Hirst’s goal sparked an outpouring of relief and joy - after the 1982 thing it was just what we needed, never been more proud of my team and my fellow fans than on that day....Bradford away in the league cup comes a close second...

12 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Wet. My late wife had a white coat on and was moaning all afternoon that she'd have to get it dry cleaned. Apart from that a great afternoon and we all went absolutely mental when we got the winner.  Memories are made of this!

And Notts County away was also a great day. Should have beaten them. 

Bradford away in the League Cup during the Jordan era was amazing too. From the minute we arrived we were already having a party,  which was heightened by scoring within the first minute or so. It felt like we never stopped until the final whistle, the donkey braying noises at Ian Ormondroyd were ear splitting. :) It was a great night that included the Bradford fans giving  Jordan a standing ovation when he was subbed towards the end. 
The only thing that spoiled it for me was getting home at 1 in the morning to find my house had been burgled. :( 

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Bradford away in the League Cup during the Jordan era was amazing too. From the minute we arrived we were already having a party,  which was heightened by scoring within the first minute or so. It felt like we never stopped until the final whistle, the donkey braying noises at Ian Ormondroyd were ear splitting. :) It was a great night that included the Bradford fans giving  Jordan a standing ovation when he was subbed towards the end. 
The only thing that spoiled it for me was getting home at 1 in the morning to find my house had been burgled. :( 

Cracking night! A mate (Bakes) and I were on the Source in Gloucester, and well mashed before getting our lift. Freezing up there, and like the Alamo for 90 odd minutes, but who gave a fuckity?

8 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Cracking night! A mate (Bakes) and I were on the Source in Gloucester, and well mashed before getting our lift. Freezing up there, and like the Alamo for 90 odd minutes, but who gave a fuckity?

The locals weren't too happy with us afterwards as I remember it. :boxing:

That was a mental night!

I said a few times on here,my favourite ever away day,if it counts as one.From start to finish a great time was had by all,and when the goals went in it was absolute bedlam,the cameras only show the fans when it had died down,but for  those of us who were there,we know exactly what it was like.

The muller road end for that game was just sheer pandemonium, that terrace has to be one of the steepest terraces I’ve ever been on. The celebrations following both goals were mental, Im sure I must have surged 20-30 yards down the terrace until you just hit bodies that were unable to go down any further, and the same thing happened twice!.

On a side note, I can also remember being in that end the day City fans let the breaks off the burger van ( caravan or trailer ) and we all watched as it rolled down the outer slope of the terrace, I think it smashed into the side of their stand!!.

9 hours ago, Toffee dog said:

Fantastic result, wasn’t that the game where their announcer said here’s the best team in Bristol or words to that effect when Rovers came out?

Think his name was Keith Valley or something like that, which made Martin Hirst’s goal even sweeter, or has time made me mix games up?

Was he not the same announcer who made the comment regarding Junior Bent?

My favourite ever away day. Remember celebrating like mad only to end up with a woman's handbag on my shoulder , which was promptly claimed. Also remember being marched back as far as the Barton Hill roundabout, took bloody ages. The next round at Notts County , I believe we were two down before coming back to 2-2 and then missing a sitter right at the end. Happy days 

9 hours ago, Toffee dog said:

Fantastic result, wasn’t that the game where their announcer said here’s the best team in Bristol or words to that effect when Rovers came out?

Think his name was Keith Valley or something like that, which made Martin Hirst’s goal even sweeter, or has time made me mix games up?

See below

6 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

That gurt lummox Archie Stephens scored for the tramps, at MR end.

Prayed against him for all of about 5 minutes.  He elbowed our CH in the first minute, our CH told him, he’d wish he’d never made a comeback (for Melksham) and he went off with a mysterious hamstring strain.  Think he realised what was coming.  Our CH’s nickname was ‘reckless’....although very mild, mannered off the pitch.  Melksham ended the game with 8 players!

11 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Was he not the same announcer who made the comment regarding Junior Bent?

Keith Valle.  He was in the Somerset House in Clifton Village one night not long after, and we got chucked out for singing ‘Juuuunior, Juuuunior’!

An absolutely mental day and I`ll never forget it - we were back and punching our weight again. I still maintain that it was the most important victory we`d had in years and gave us our belief back.

We were robbed in the next round at Notts County too - I think we were leading 2-1 and Rachid Harkouk went down like he`d been shot a yard outside the box and my most hated referee ever, Norman ******* Glover gave the penalty. It knocked the stuffing out of us for the replay and we lost 2-0 (?) with Glover in charge again.

Bradford is a close second and an honourable mention for Forest - when Paul Mardon scored that night!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

An absolutely mental day and I`ll never forget it - we were back and punching our weight again. I still maintain that it was the most important victory we`d had in years and gave us our belief back.

We were robbed in the next round at Notts County too - I think we were leading 2-1 and Rachid Harkouk went down like he`d been shot a yard outside the box and my most hated referee ever, Norman ******* Glover gave the penalty. It knocked the stuffing out of us for the replay and we lost 2-0 (?) with Glover in charge again.

Bradford is a close second and an honourable mention for Forest - when Paul Mardon scored that night!!!!!!!

Gifford?

12 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Bradford in 89 1/4 Final ?   

and Forest definitely

Id add Sheffield United definitely , and Walsall twice , all in 88/89 play offs

Ohhhhhh and Reading 84 .....craziest terrace I’ve ever been on 

10 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

That was a great night, apart from for the bloke stood immediately behind me on the terrace. I went up a split second before he did and caught him right on the chin with the back of my head! He was totally out. Luckily, I was half pissed so didn't hurt myself.:bounce:

If said bloke comes on here, sorry. ;)

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Now that was MENTAL, absolutely nuts.

Old Winny got nicked at the game and had to appear in court in Reading a week or so later. I was told he was interviewed by HTV to find out what happened and they eventually gave up as every other word was ****!

Whatever happened to him I wonder? I was told he changed his name to Neil Down for a laugh but was never sure if it was true. It was typical Winny though. 

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

and Forest definitely

Reading was mad for a lot of different reasons, than the Eastville game.

51 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

The muller road end for that game was just sheer pandemonium, that terrace has to be one of the steepest terraces I’ve ever been on. The celebrations following both goals were mental, Im sure I must have surged 20-30 yards down the terrace until you just hit bodies that were unable to go down any further, and the same thing happened twice!.

On a side note, I can also remember being in that end the day City fans let the breaks off the burger van ( caravan or trailer ) and we all watched as it rolled down the outer slope of the terrace, I think it smashed into the side of their stand!!.

Staight into the river Frome if I remember rightly PB.

Sadly too young to remember this, but it does make me think that if the Gash ever do get their ground sorted and ever do get back on our level (and don’t get me wrong, I’m perfectly happy with the current state of affairs on both fronts!) the one silver lining would be playing them away again with a huge City support in attendance.

1985/86 must’ve been the last time we got a decent allocations at their place, from then on lucky if we got 1000 tickets at Trumpton and the Tent.

Meanwhile they’ve got generous allocations at our place (I do seem to recall them moaning in 97/98 though about only getting half the EE even though that was more than they gave us in the two games we played - and won - combined at their place that season)

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

See below

Prayed against him for all of about 5 minutes.  He elbowed our CH in the first minute, our CH told him, he’d wish he’d never made a comeback (for Melksham) and he went off with a mysterious hamstring strain.  Think he realised what was coming.  Our CH’s nickname was ‘reckless’....although very mild, mannered off the pitch.  Melksham ended the game with 8 players!

Keith Valle.  He was in the Somerset House in Clifton Village one night not long after, and we got chucked out for singing ‘Juuuunior, Juuuunior’!

aka keith the fish......pilchard to be precise

19 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I was there too Oxo, although the passage of time means I recall very little from the day.

For the younger chaps, an honourable mention to Palace away when Noble scored: a close run thing to having to return to Bristol and explain to my sister how I lost my niece.

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We were packed in so tightly my feet were off the ground most of the time.....the passion that came out of that away terrace that day was just awesome to experience....dear old Terry Cooper had given us hope and his absolute commitment to our club around that time must never be forgotten. We had our club back and Hirst’s goal sparked an outpouring of relief and joy - after the 1982 thing it was just what we needed, never been more proud of my team and my fellow fans than on that day....Bradford away in the league cup comes a close second...

Was at that Bradford game 3000  on a Tuesday night was electric atmosphere, forest in the semis wasn’t bad either, Paul mardon put us 1 up then an pender own goal, brings back some brilliant memories, 

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

and Forest definitely

Bolton away 90/91 lost 1-0 but was mad before and after , remember being in a hotel bar before the game in the town centre and about 150 city in there all good lads when Bolton showed up they took 1 look and scarperd back up the hill.

Archived