IGNORED

Favourite football quotes

Major Isewater

A favourite Keegan for me dates back to France 98: "Only one team could win this match from here, and that’s England."

Just before Petrescu popped up for Romania's late winner.

And off on a tangent, a favourite bit of commentary: Barry Davies from the BBC 101 Great Goals video: "Big John Hughes, moving forward, breathing the chance, and giving it the hammer."

Part of half time team talk from John Sitton, Leyton Orient manager 

‘...............and you can pair up if you like. And you can f*****g pick someone else to help you, and you can bring your f*****g dinner. Because, by the time I’m finished with you, you’ll f*****g need it.'

54 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I doubt it....I bawled my eyes out when he died and I never met the man! He was just a great football man, a legend of our game, these two videos are superb....

Have you watched the Bobby Robson More Than A Manager film yet? If you haven’t, I thoroughly recommend it.

54 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

Charlie Nicholas. Hands down...

Nicholas: Well maybe you should go also Jeff because you couldn't see driving home the other night because you don't even wear your glasses on TV in case you get slagged off so you just stick to Specsavers.

Apologies but I’ve read that a few times and still don’t understand it....

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

And off on a tangent, a favourite bit of commentary: Barry Davies from the BBC 101 Great Goals video: "Big John Hughes, moving forward, breathing the chance, and giving it the hammer."

Well if we are taking about commentaries:

“Andy Hinchcliffe arrived at the far post like an enraged rhino to head the ball home...” - Stuart Hall

17 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Luther Blisset on seeing the San Siro when he signed for AC Milan;

`Blimey. It`s a bit different to Watford. Where`s the dog track?`

Was it true that Milsn didn’t even know he was black, or did they think they were getting John Barnes.  Heard both stories.

Kevin Keegan (League Cup Final Arsenal v Wednesday) - Cramp can be worse than a broken leg!

Back to Bobby Robson - love it

What, the young Newcastle forward Shola Ameobi was asked by a journalist, did his teammates call him? "Shola," he replied. And how, the disappointed but still hopeful interlocutor asked, did his manager address him? "He calls me Carl Cort."

4 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Both sides have scored a couple of goals, and both sides have conceded a couple of goals." - PETER WITHE

"I've been consistent in patches this season" - THEO WALCOTT

"In the end, Rosicky initially did well" - ANDY TOWNSEND

"The thing about goalscorers is that they score goals" - TONY COTTEE

"The last six games of the Invincibles season were the most pressurised, because we were under pressure" - RAY PARLOUR

"He's got a lot of self-belief in himself" - GRAHAM BEECROFT

"They were numerically outnumbered" - GARRY BIRTLES

"Not to win is guttering" - MARK NOBLE

"And with 4 minutes gone, the score is already 0-0." - IAN DARK

"I'm going to make a prediction - it could go either way." - RON ATKINSON

"Certain people are for me and certain people are pro me." - TERRY VENABLES

"Reading won't have the confidence to be confident" - PAUL MERSON

"If we played like this every week, we wouldn't be so inconsistent." - BRYAN ROBSON

"The one significant change is in fact the second significant change" - JONATHAN PEARCE

"Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in the air for even longer." - DAVID ACFIELD

"Glenn Hoddle hasn't been the Hoddle we know. Neither has Bryan Robson." - RON GREENWOOD

"I don't think there is anybody bigger or smaller than Maradona." - KEVIN KEEGAN

"For those of you watching in black and white, Spurs are in the all-yellow strip." - JOHN MOTSON

"I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat." - RON ATKINSON

"I would not say he [David Ginola] is the best left winger in the Premiership, but there are none better." - RON ATKINSON

"What will you do when you leave football, Jack -- will you stay in football?" - STUART HALL

"The new West Stand casts a giant shadow over the entire pitch, even on a sunny day." - CHRIS JONES

"You don't score 64 goals in 86 games at the highest level without being able to score goals." - ALAN GREEN

"Matty Jarvis had acres of time there" - STAN COLLYMORE 

"It's an unprecedented precedent" - CLARK CARLISLE

"...but Arsenal are quick to credit Bergkamp with laying on 75% of their nine goals." - TONY GUBBA

"If you closed your eyes, you couldn't tell the difference between the two sides" - PHIL BROWN

"He dribbles a lot and the opposition don't like it - you can see it all over their faces." - RON ATKINSON

"If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again." - TERRY VENABLES

"They're the second best team in the world, and there's no higher praise than that." - KEVIN KEEGAN

"A game is not won until it is lost." - DAVID PLEAT

"I definitely want Brooklyn to be christened, but I don't know into what religion yet." - DAVID BECKHAM

"I never make predictions, and I never will." - PAUL GASCOIGNE

"I couldn't settle in Italy. It was like living in a foreign country." - IAN RUSH

"There are two ways of getting the ball. One is from your own team-mates, and that's the only way." - TERRY VENABLES

"A contract on a piece of paper, saying you want to leave, is like a piece of paper saying you want to leave." - JOHN HOLLINS

"We must have had 99 per cent of the match. It was the other three per cent that cost us." - RUUD GULLIT

"I always used to put my right boot on first, and then obviously my right sock." -BARRY VENISON

"My parents have been there for me, ever since I was about 7." - DAVID BECKHAM

"I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league." - MARK VIDUKA

"If you don't believe you can win, there is no point in getting out of bed at the end of the day." - NEVILLE SOUTHALL

"I can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel." - STUART PEARCE

"I'd like to play for an Italian club, like Barcelona." - MARK DRAPER

"One accusation you can't throw at me is that I've always done my best." - ALAN SHEARER

"All that remains is for a few dots and commas to be crossed." - MITCHELL THOMAS

"Without being too harsh on David Beckham, he cost us the match." - IAN WRIGHT

"Germany are a very difficult team to play...they had 11 internationals out there today." - STEVE LOMAS

"I've had 14 bookings this season - 8 of which were my fault, but 7 of which were disputable." - PAUL GASCOIGNE

"He's put on weight and I've lost it, and vice versa." - RONNIE WHELAN

"The first ninety minutes of a football match are the most important." - BOBBY ROBSON

How did you remember all those? Oh, I bet I know what you did.......

1 hour ago, Bcfc2009 said:

Part of half time team talk from John Sitton, Leyton Orient manager 

‘...............and you can pair up if you like. And you can f*****g pick someone else to help you, and you can bring your f*****g dinner. Because, by the time I’m finished with you, you’ll f*****g need it.'

After sacking his captain at half time in front of the dressing room iirc.

Sitto ?

In the Shankly room at Anfield there were a lot of Shankly quotes all over the walls including the full version of this one. "Of course I didn't take my wife to Tranmere on our wedding anniversary, who ever thought I got married during the football season? It was her birthday and it was Tranmere reserves"

I also remember reading one from a Manager of one of the lower league clubs who got a cup draw at Celtic Park. Asked what formation he was intending to play he said "the standard, 4-4-2. Thats 2 in the D, 4 on the edge of the six yard box and 4 on the goal line. 

Archived