IGNORED

Favourite football quotes

Major Isewater

I sat next to the great Tommy Docherty at a charity dinner once - and I got this one straight from the horse’s mouth....he was in the midst of pay negotiations whilst he was at PNE - he said to the chairman “Why is Tom Finney on £12 a week during the summer and I’m only on £10 a week in the summer?” The chairman replied “Finney is a better player than you” - “He isn’t during the summer” came Tommy’s immediate response....

"Winning isn't the end of the world" David Pleat

"There's always been a fierce rivalry between Spurs and Tottenham". David Pleat

"You know football sometimes turns on the slightest biscuit of good fortune" David Pleat

"This is a real cat and carrot situation" David Pleat

"We tried to redden Alex (Ferguson)'s face a bit more, but were unable to." David Pleat

Just a small selection of his best quotes- he has featured in ColemanBalls often!

Sir Alf Ramsey to Rodney Marsh in the dressing room before Marsh's England debut:

RAMSEY: Rodney, I'll be pulling you off at half-time.

MARSH: That'll be nice. I only get a cup of tea at Man City!

Suffice it to say, Ramsey glared at Marsh and Marsh puts this down as the moment his international career under Sir Alf took a nosedive.

1. "We have a watertight contract."  [Tony Watola, (former) Financial Director, Bristol Rovers FC]
  2. "We've entered into a contract which has been reneged upon. It's been acknowledged in the judgement that it's been reneged upon. There's numerous breaches of that contract and a decision's been made on one technical element of a clause which has been inconsistently recorded in the judgement. So I don't feel culpable for that decision. We've done everything in our power to try to bring the club a new stadium to offer sustainability to this club".  [Nick Higgs (former) Chairman, Bristol Rovers FC]
  3. "This case proves that we have acted in good faith and obeyed the law".  [Sainsburys]

2 minutes ago, Bcfc2009 said:

Was it Alan Hansen during Euro 96 who said   'I can’t see the Germans getting back into this game - they’ve only got Kuntz up front!’.

Just made me recall the, probably apocryphal, exchange between Mick Channon and Garth Crooks on a pundit panel for a West Germany international:

Channon: What about that Rummenigge 

Crooks: What rumour?

On 16/10/2018 at 19:49, Red_Wizard said:

Charlie Nicholas. Hands down...

Nicholas: Well maybe you should go also Jeff because you couldn't see driving home the other night because you don't even wear your glasses on TV in case you get slagged off so you just stick to Specsavers.

I think it means "You should leave the studio too, Jeff. Your eyesight is bad and you should be wearing glasses but you don't wear them on TV in case you look bad and get slagged off. To make it worse, you weren't wearing them driving home last night, when there was no excuse not to be. Your eyesight is so bad that, as the saying goes, you should have gone to Specsavers."

SOME MORE.

"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the dressing room." TERRY VENABLES.

HOLLAND 5-S0UTH KOREA 0. ONE MINUTE TO GO.

"I don't think South Korea are going to get back into this one." KEVIN KEEGAN.

"That's the second time South Korea have hit the side netting. If hitting the side-netting counted as half a goal, South Korea would have scored." KEVIN KEEGAN

"Winning isn't everything. Wanting to win is everything."  DANNY BLANCHFLOWER  (note to Mourinho, Pulis, and Allardyce killing their clubs and killing the game by defending a 1-0 for 60 minutes and playing for a 0-0, whose supporters don't even want the result when it means playing like that)

"We have a duty to entertain." ALEX FERGUSON

"With the best part of 43 and a half minutes gone here....................." KEVIN KEEGAN

AND A HOME-GROWN ONE

"The final whistle has gone for the final time!" GEOFF TWENTYMAN (Swindon 3-City 2 1998)

1 hour ago, Boston Red said:

I think it means "You should leave the studio too, Jeff. Your eyesight is bad and you should be wearing glasses but you don't wear them on TV in case you look bad and get slagged off. To make it worse, you weren't wearing them driving home last night, when there was no excuse not to be. Your eyesight is so bad that, as the saying goes, you should have gone to Specsavers."

SOME MORE.

"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the dressing room." TERRY VENABLES.

HOLLAND 5-S0UTH KOREA 0. ONE MINUTE TO GO.

"I don't think South Korea are going to get back into this one." KEVIN KEEGAN.

"That's the second time South Korea have hit the side netting. If hitting the side-netting counted as half a goal, South Korea would have scored." KEVIN KEEGAN

"Winning isn't everything. Wanting to win is everything."  DANNY BLANCHFLOWER  (note to Mourinho, Pulis, and Allardyce killing their clubs and killing the game by defending a 1-0 for 60 minutes and playing for a 0-0, whose supporters don't even want the result when it means playing like that)

"We have a duty to entertain." ALEX FERGUSON

"With the best part of 43 and a half minutes gone here....................." KEVIN KEEGAN

AND A HOME-GROWN ONE

"The final whistle has gone for the final time!" GEOFF TWENTYMAN (Swindon 3-City 2 1998)

Surely the best Blanchflower quote is,   "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."

Two others I like are “We aim to equalise before the other team score. We should get our retaliation in first.” and when asked if Hoddle was a "luxury player" “Hoddle? No, it’s the bad players who are a luxury.”

On 16/10/2018 at 22:55, Port Said Red said:

In the Shankly room at Anfield there were a lot of Shankly quotes all over the walls including the full version of this one. "Of course I didn't take my wife to Tranmere on our wedding anniversary, who ever thought I got married during the football season? It was her birthday and it was Tranmere reserves"

One of Shankly's most famous quotes.

"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that"

George Best's best, "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." 

Alf Ramsey, on taking the England job in 1963 " we will win the World Cup"

I loved the Colemanballs books ...........

“That’s the fastest time ever run – but it’s not as fast as the world record.” 

“A truly international field, no Britons involved.” 

“The Republic of China – back in the Olympic Games for the first time.”

“Don’t tell those coming in the final result of that fantastic match, but let’s just have another look at Italy’s winning goal.” 

“He’s 31 this year – last year he was 30.” 

“He just can’t believe what’s not happening to him.” 

“In a moment we hope to see the pole vault over the satellite.”

“He is accelerating all the time. The last lap was run in 64 seconds and the one before that in 62.” 

“It’s gold or nothing ... and it’s nothing. He comes away with the silver medal.” 

“There is Brendan Foster, by himself with 20,000 people.” 

“Forest have now lost six matches without winning.” 

“The front wheel crosses the finish line, closely followed by the back wheel.” 

“And here’s Moses Kiptanui – the 19-year-old Kenyan who turned 20 a few weeks ago.” 

“If that had gone in, it would have been a goal.” 

“This evening is a very different evening from the morning we had this morning.”

and to make up for the odd non football , the wonderful ,  Brilliant , well ,Gerry Francis;  “What I said to them at half-time would be unprintable on the radio.”

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I loved the Colemanballs books ...........

“That’s the fastest time ever run – but it’s not as fast as the world record.” 

“A truly international field, no Britons involved.” 

“The Republic of China – back in the Olympic Games for the first time.”

“Don’t tell those coming in the final result of that fantastic match, but let’s just have another look at Italy’s winning goal.” 

“He’s 31 this year – last year he was 30.” 

“He just can’t believe what’s not happening to him.” 

“In a moment we hope to see the pole vault over the satellite.”

“He is accelerating all the time. The last lap was run in 64 seconds and the one before that in 62.” 

“It’s gold or nothing ... and it’s nothing. He comes away with the silver medal.” 

“There is Brendan Foster, by himself with 20,000 people.” 

“Forest have now lost six matches without winning.” 

“The front wheel crosses the finish line, closely followed by the back wheel.” 

“And here’s Moses Kiptanui – the 19-year-old Kenyan who turned 20 a few weeks ago.” 

“If that had gone in, it would have been a goal.” 

“This evening is a very different evening from the morning we had this morning.”

and to make up for the odd non football , the wonderful ,  Brilliant , well ,Gerry Francis;  “What I said to them at half-time would be unprintable on the radio.”

One of my all time favourite Colemanballs was a political one rather than a sport one. It was during the trouble and after the sentencing of an IRA bomber who for the purposes of this I will call "Murphy" 

"Of course Murphy will not serve the 320 Years to which he has been sentenced, as Irish law allows for 50% remission for good behaviour"  ?

"It triggered me the ignorance"

"When I lost a match I broke down in frustration. Today players lose, take a selfie and put it on the Internet. They make me sick."

"Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit"

We love you Gennaro Gattuso.

On 17/10/2018 at 22:43, Crisis what Crisis ? said:

' That's it ....never again ! '....Me at bloody Rotherham a few weeks back  ( not sure it classes as a ' favourite football quote ' but it seems to be regularly uttered ...)

That must be the most uttered quote in the history of football.

On 16/10/2018 at 19:29, DaveInSA said:

I'm quite certain that Brian Moore said this in a Man Utd vs Juventus, European (or Champions League) game;

"the old lady has opened her legs and is showing her class"

ROFLMFAO

I suspect you are joking, but it was, in fact, the late David (Colemanballs) Coleman who, when commentating in an Olympic Games spoke of the long-striding and very muscular Cuban 400M runner, Albert Juantorena, 'The big Cuban opened his legs and showed his class'.

Archived