IGNORED

Brentford new manager

Cider red

8 minutes ago, Cider red said:

Brentford have appointed a coach from within; will know how they play and players will be looking to impress. Doesn't bode well for Saturday; a ground we do terribly at; particularly with our form! 

Brentford seem to be a very well run club, consistently selling their best players and seemingly not moving backwards.

Hopefully this internal appointment will break that recent behaviour!

34 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Brentford seem to be a very well run club, consistently selling their best players and seemingly not moving backwards.

Hopefully this internal appointment will break that recent behaviour!

Warbourton was an internal appointment. I feel like they’re similar to Watford in that the ethos is so engraved into the club that the manager is not the be all end all 

7 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Warbourton was an internal appointment. I feel like they’re similar to Watford in that the ethos is so engraved into the club that the manager is not the be all end all 

Although having said that, Warburton applied for the manager’s job at the Bees in 2011 when he was part of the staff and was turned down, then he became Sporting Director at Brentford and was eventually kicked out of that role when former Liverpool academy chief Frank McParland was appointed in his place....it was only then, after he turned down an opportunity to follow ex Bees manager Uwe Rosler to Wigan Athletic, that he was considered for the Brentford manager’s position - not the smoothest of transitions, but I still think he did a great job at The Bees....

4 hours ago, Cider red said:

Brentford have appointed a coach from within; will know how they play and players will be looking to impress. Doesn't bode well for Saturday; a ground we do terribly at; particularly with our form! 

And England hadn't beaten Spain in Spain since god knows when, no one gave us a cat in hells chance against man utd last season and we all know how that turned out.

4 hours ago, pillred said:

And England hadn't beaten Spain in Spain since god knows when, no one gave us a cat in hells chance against man utd last season and we all know how that turned out.

Now that’s a glass half full if ever I heard one, well done that man ?

13 hours ago, Cider red said:

I keep hearing this “we have a terrible record at Brentford”

Of our last 9 league games at Griffin Park, we’ve Won 3, Drawn 3, Lost 3..!

Can't believe I've read this thread and no mention of the man's name or pedigree - here's from the BBC Championship page:

'Championship club Brentford have named Thomas Frank as their new head coach, replacing former first-team boss Dean Smith after he left for Aston Villa.

The 45-year-old Dane was previously an assistant head coach at Griffin Park, working under Smith for two years.

Frank spent five years working with Denmark's U16, U17 and U19 sides, before becoming Brondby boss in 2013.'

24 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I keep hearing this “we have a terrible record at Brentford”

Of our last 9 league games at Griffin Park, we’ve Won 3, Drawn 3, Lost 3..!

Wasn't the last win when Lita scored? Since the cotteril days we get absolutely battered by them; might have drawn a couple but we certainly stole a point last season!

The game itself on Saturday is quite interesting, two teams who haven't won in 5 - after both starting the season quite well, similar playing styles, and now LJ gets to lock horns with a decent Danish coach.

Looking forward to reading Dave's report about their team / playing strategy.  Will Thomas Frank stick with their same style, as seems likely, or try something a little different?

9 minutes ago, Cider red said:

Wasn't the last win when Lita scored? Since the cotteril days we get absolutely battered by them; might have drawn a couple but we certainly stole a point last season!

We used to get regularly beaten by them because they were rough house and our lads don't like it up 'em. 

They were pragmatic, they could not compete with the bigger London clubs for the best talent So made up for it with aggression  and work rate , traits which so often in our history have been considered " not the City way " .

We prefer to con ourselves into thinking that we play beautiful football whilst other teams pass us by.

We were successful when we had those hard nosed winners , like Gow , in our team who demanded a never say die attitude from their teammates.

26 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We used to get regularly beaten by them because they were rough house and our lads don't like it up 'em. 

They were pragmatic, they could not compete with the bigger London clubs for the best talent So made up for it with aggression  and work rate , traits which so often in our history have been considered " not the City way " .

We prefer to con ourselves into thinking that we play beautiful football whilst other teams pass us by.

We were successful when we had those hard nosed winners , like Gow , in our team who demanded a never say die attitude from their teammates.

Isnt that the sketch though?

Fulham liked a pass more.

So did Wolves. 

This Brentford do as well.

5 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Isnt that the sketch though?

Fulham liked a pass more.

So did Wolves. 

This Brentford do as well.

À  team need to earn the right to play their football.

No opponent is going to sit back and admire our skills.

I maintain that , even today,we have  a bunch of lovely young men managed by other lovely friendly coaches all under the watchful eye of the kindly Uncle Steve . 

Steve Cotterill showed steel .Result -double winning side .

He wanted to press on and was hung out to dry . 

Feathers mustn't be ruffled at City .

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

À  team need to earn the right to play their football.

No opponent is going to sit back and admire our skills.

I maintain that , even today,we have  a bunch of lovely young men managed by other lovely friendly coaches all under the watchful eye of the kindly Uncle Steve . 

Steve Cotterill showed steel .Result -double winning side .

He wanted to press on and was hung out to dry . 

Feathers mustn't be ruffled at City .

And the lovely young men of Fulham and Wolves 

Fouled less.

Got booked less.

Got the big red un less.

And the same at Brentford.

They pass it more.

Like the 70's v neck tank top football moves on.

59 minutes ago, pillred said:

not a bad idea, should get good odds if the bookies are as negative about our chances as some on here.

Bookies are negative about our chances..

Brentford odds on and you can get 15/4 for a City win.

Best of luck.

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Can't believe I've read this thread and no mention of the man's name or pedigree - here's from the BBC Championship page:

'Championship club Brentford have named Thomas Frank as their new head coach, replacing former first-team boss Dean Smith after he left for Aston Villa.

The 45-year-old Dane was previously an assistant head coach at Griffin Park, working under Smith for two years.

Frank spent five years working with Denmark's U16, U17 and U19 sides, before becoming Brondby boss in 2013.'

Have we ever lost to a team with a Danish coach before! Bodes well I think.

2 hours ago, Sixtyseconds said:

And the lovely young men of Fulham and Wolves 

Fouled less.

Got booked less.

Got the big red un less.

And the same at Brentford.

They pass it more.

Like the 70's v neck tank top football moves on.

It's not about being dirty but being determined and strong.

Our game style needs confident men to play it . Players who show for the pass , who take risks under pressure, who refuse to be beaten . 

Where are these type of players when we're under the cosh ?

Passing sideways, backwards and whimpering like Spaniel puppies. 

Which of our players says ' no way , not on my shift ' ? 

53 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

Have we ever lost to a team with a Danish coach before! Bodes well I think.

Bodes Well was Dutch .

4 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

If Brentford's new manager was called Frank Thomas, I would feel confident and fancy our chances this Saturday.

But Brentford's new manager is Thomas Frank, which makes me feel nervous and doubtful about Saturday.

Off track a little but do Red Shoes have any significance on your poster name ? 

15 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It's not about being dirty but being determined and strong.

Our game style needs confident men to play it . Players who show for the pass , who take risks under pressure, who refuse to be beaten . 

Where are these type of players when we're under the cosh ?

Passing sideways, backwards and whimpering like Spaniel puppies. 

Which of our players says ' no way , not on my shift ' ? 

What game style is this you speak of?

Its a bit like this.

Brentford and that Fulham and that Wolves go backwards.

Quite a lot.

And sideways.

But there is somebody tending that light at the end of the tunnel.

The steady hand.

The voice.

Its alright to go backwards and sideways.

Quite a lot.

That is what we do.

That is our light. 

ONLY ...

Its not like that here.

Some times that hand is not steady.

Go sideways

Backwards.

Fammys on belt it boys.

4 hours ago, reddogkev said:

The game itself on Saturday is quite interesting, two teams who haven't won in 5 - after both starting the season quite well, similar playing styles, and now LJ gets to lock horns with a decent Danish coach.

Looking forward to reading Dave's report about their team / playing strategy.  Will Thomas Frank stick with their same style, as seems likely, or try something a little different?

Would not say similar playing styles at all. Brentford are more attacking and press more. We hardly press opposition. 

2 hours ago, Sixtyseconds said:

What game style is this you speak of?

Its a bit like this.

Brentford and that Fulham and that Wolves go backwards.

Quite a lot.

And sideways.

But there is somebody tending that light at the end of the tunnel.

The steady hand.

The voice.

Its alright to go backwards and sideways.

Quite a lot.

That is what we do.

That is our light. 

ONLY ...

Its not like that here.

Some times that hand is not steady.

Go sideways

Backwards.

Fammys on belt it boys.

Good post!

We can lack imagination and initiative at times- backwards and sideways can certainly be he right ball.

As you say though, when/if Fammy is on there is a temptation to knock it long and quick. Was similar with Djuric- and is often similar with big/tall strikers in the English game. Djuric in fact, especially had he been fully fit had a bit more about him technically than a big lump IMO. However knocking it long when we have a big striker on the pitch is just lazy and more importantly often plays into the hands of the opposition.

Archived